Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 10:58   #886
BHPian

here is the wording of teh mail:

Thank you for registering for your Apple iPhone 3G™ with us. We are delighted to announce that the iPhone 3G will be available in India from August 22, 2008
It will be available in 8GB & 16GB models, priced at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively. Be the first to get the iPhone We have received a large number of registrations. As there are limited stocks, make sure that you get yours first, by paying an advance of Rs 10,000 to confirm your booking. Where can you make this advance payment? The iPhone 3G will be available at select Vodafone Stores. All you need to do is drop in at any select Vodafone Store between August 20 and 21 and make the advance payment by cash or credit card. DonŽt forget to show the iPhone booking SMS, which you would have received from us, when you visit the Vodafone Store to pay the advance. To find a Vodafone Store near you, click here Get an appointment now. No queues for you. Once you pay the advance, we will immediately give you an appointment date and time, starting August 22 when you can come and experience a full demonstration and collect your iPhone, all ready to use with your contacts and settings, by paying the balance amount. Hurry! Limited stocks. Remember, the sooner you confirm your booking, the earlier youŽll get your iPhone. We have limited stocks and it will be on first come, first serve basis. Happy to help If you have any queries, log on to Vodafone - Select your region or call Vodafone Care on 111 (toll free) and weŽll be happy to help.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:12   #887
BHPian

Oh. Thats a shocker of a price. Though i never was a fan of either the ipod,iphone or for that matter any apple product. and the ridiculous pricing is even bigger dampner.

look at the data plan prices.

iPhone data browsing charges 5p/10Kb 5p/10Kb 5p/10Kb
Free data usage (MB) per month 50 250 600

600MB for month. I think if i ever get the promised speed on a 3G network, my quota would get exhausted in a night. and i don't want to pay 5p x N for viewing my orkut scrapbook .

The iPhone and its plans are totally useless for a true techie who wishes to stay online forever.
Compare that to my EDGE plan with Airtel.
RS 199 unlimited data transfer for a month. and I get decent speeds of 18 -20 KBps where the network is good.

Thumbs down from me to apple and vodafone for the iPhone launch in india.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:14   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you are replying then it should go out from the same account right? Or If you mean when you close and reopen mails it sents from default account??
No. I received mail on my Microsoft Exchange server, but when I replied to my boss's mail it was sent from my Gmail account!

I deleted all other mail accounts other than exchange to prevent this from happening.

Again, whats the use of a mail client that doesnt allow you to choose which account you want to send your mail from even if you're typing out a new mail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
i wouldnt have bothered to reply, if not for this sentence Too many people seem to be enjoying making fun of the iPhone. Why dont they realize that not everyone needs every feature?
Srijit - at close to 40 Grand, it better do what all other phones have been doing for ages. The point is, it cannot - calling its failures 'features' does not make it more efficient.

Why are you getting so worked up about it? Do you make/sell the phone? Or is there a rule that the hypePhone should not be criticised?

I'm having to live with one for various reasons - there are a few things I like and a lot of things I cannot understand. Allow me the freedom of coming to my own conclusions as a user - the fact is that it sucks big time as a phone or a PDA. It is a good music player, game console, video/photo viewer - thats about it. Even the browsing experience on Safari is painful. Since when are Cut & Paste and Pop-up menus such exotic features that you need hacks for them? And WHY should I spend so much money on a device and then spend even more time and effort to 'Hack' it when there are other phones that do all of this and much more off-the-shelf? Hey some of the things I cant do on the iPhone, I've been doing on other devices since 2001.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th August 2008 at 11:16.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:29   #889
Senior - BHPian

Was hoping a lot from this. Sha i got to stay with my good old nokia. Well why does it look like someone from skoda helped them in pricing the i phone???
Old 20th August 2008, 11:59   #890
BHPian

iPhone - tragedy!

Thats absolutely correct - some guys from Skoda / Volkswagen are pricing the iPhone. Its ridiculous! We are paying 36K for iPhone 3G without the 3G -where as globally people are paying 13K for actual 3G usage!

Airtel and Vodafone are cheats - iPhone would not cost 36K in any way you calculate. so question of subsidising handsets does not arise.

At this price iphone penetration will be twice that of Nokia E90 - at best! Omania and new Nokia's launching by end of year will turn on the heat on this one. Be sure to buy one coming Jan 2009 at ~20K

Till then I guess it makes sense to go for Nokia E71 @ 20K
Old 20th August 2008, 12:01   #891
Senior - BHPian

Haha! Why are we surprised looking at the prices ? If Jobs would have had his way and launched the iPhone at USD 199, then all these players like Nokia, Samsung and SE would shut shop, and venture into mobiles for Mars and Venus.

But then 31k and 36k are too steep, if they want to establish themselves in the consumer segment. The Blackberry is in a different league and more often than not, the companies buy them and provide it to the users. But all said and done, Apple will manage to make it a niche segment for itself among the "have-one-will-flaunt" types. I am sure Jobs doesnt want the local panwallas and rickshaw pullers using the iPhone.

But this will definitely boost the sales of unlocked iPhones in India. And I am really really happy that I bought the N82 rather than waiting for the iPhone!!
Old 20th August 2008, 12:21   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Srijit - at close to 40 Grand, it better do what all other phones have been doing for ages. The point is, it cannot - calling its failures 'features' does not make it more efficient.
Steer, it is different when you actually make an informed choice. You were forced to use it and that is a different scenario. I made my choice, I know the limitations and I am happy with it. I do not claim that this is the best phone in the world. It may be to me, but not to you and I can respect that.

Quote:
Why are you getting so worked up about it? Do you make/sell the phone? Or is there a rule that the hypePhone should not be criticised?
Baba, this is me being restrained. Please note that I replied only because you seem to be genuinely interested in finding solutions. I have had lots of chances to get worked up. Just look at the post that you quoted, the one that is being forwarded through emails. Yes, there are flaws. This phone is not designed to be like a Nokia or a Sony. I am not saying you shouldnt compare, but I am only saying that there is no point in doing so.

I am not a phone maker, seller, etc. I have no vested interest in the iPhone doing well or badly. I have one. I enjoy using it. I dont compare it to my old phone. I dont go about bad mouthing Nokia's and Sony's and Samsung's
However, if you still feel that I am "worked up", then there is something wrong with my communication skills and I can only hope that I will improve with time. cheers:
Old 20th August 2008, 12:44   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Steer, it is different when you actually make an informed choice. You were forced to use it and that is a different scenario.
Nobody is forcing me to use it - I'm using it by choice as this is one phone I havent used for extended periods of time, else one of my boys would be using it

To be fair I'm enjoying some parts of it, but the almost complete lack of business tools and functionality is pissing me off, especially since I just moved to this thing from a Blackberry.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:02   #894
BHPian

Steer,
sheeesh .. crackberry to Hypephone..
this is like going from a business suit to jeans and complaining about lack of breast pockets.

Dont compare..

Vijay
Old 20th August 2008, 14:11   #895
Senior - BHPian

Unofficial news is that Airtel is releasing the iPhone with a price just exceeding the Vodafone price !! (is that a surprise!!) Supposed to be around Rs.600/- to 800/- extra.

The prices would most probably be officially announced tomorrow night around 11 pm. The phone goes for sale from 12 am on the 22nd of Aug !! Watch out for the ad frenzy tomorrow.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:38   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
Guys i have used the iphone for 6 months, and had my nokia n95 8 gb as well, iphone did give me a lot of trouble with its software till 1.1.4 came out, but as it was lacking so many functions, i sold it, my trusted n95 8 gb is still with me, now iam planing samsung omnia which is 1000 times better than iphone , just waiting for omnias official launch, even price will be close to iphones price with so many functions..
I bought my N95 8gb for 29k 6 months back and i must say the features and options it offers justifies the price well. But Iphone 3g with very less features(if i compare with my phone) and for 31k and 36k is outrageous! Still it will sell as in India people care more about show off than the VFM and the utility of the product they purchase!
Old 20th August 2008, 14:42   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Nobody is forcing me to use it - I'm using it by choice as this is one phone I havent used for extended periods of time, else one of my boys would be using it
Seems like I misread the quote below.
Quote:
I'm having to live with one for various reasons

Steer, bear with me as I try to make a convoluted analogy.

What would you do if someone comes along and just start criticising the Safari, in every thread. It's a diesel, its noisy, the interiors are crap, the 3.0L doesnt have enough low range torque, it has got horrible body roll, it hasnt passed any QC whatsoever, it always breaks down, it drinks fuel, it is impossible to drive in a city etc etc?
I think you would simply ignore that post and move on. That is what is happening in the iPhone thread. Every now and then someone brings along an email forward, just to show how the iPhone is crap.

But if you find someone asking a genuine question, you stop to help. That is all that I have done

It wouldnt be intelligent, not to research a product you are looking to buy, whether its a Safari or an iPhone. It makes no sense to buy a Safari and expect performance like a petrol. Similarly, if you are looking for business features on the iPhone, I dont think it will match your expectations.

The iPhone is nowhere near the BlackBerry phones, in terms of business features. I would have thought this obvious. No keyboard, push mail from MobileMe is spotty, needs iTunes for syncing etc.

ps: I like the Safari
Old 20th August 2008, 15:15   #898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Unofficial news is that Airtel is releasing the iPhone with a price just exceeding the Vodafone price !! (is that a surprise!!) Supposed to be around Rs.600/- to 800/- extra.
I really wouldnt buy into this news, since its just another rumor yes it will be launched tomorrow midnight that much i know.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:25   #899
Team-BHP Support

Pretty wrong analogy.
Why?
For all their faults Scorpio and Safari have no competition.
For someone with 10L in their pocket and need for 4x4 there is no other vehicle available which runs diesel and is reasonably comfortable.
As for iphone, it does less than other phones and costs more.
Imagine if a Safari 4x2 cost 30 lakhs because it looks so good and buying it would make you the member of an exclusive club.
This is what iPhone is.

On a Personal level, I do not oppose lack of features that much as I oppose the lack of freedom.
iPhone and blackberry are restrictive systems.
iPhone even more so. I can't even change the battery!? Apple has to permit what apps I run on MY phone!?
As the final straw, it costs twice as much as other phones with same features.

This is the iphone thread, and iphone will be discussed here. If there are more people talking about negative points, so be it!

coming to the point of researching what you need, well the simple answer is that even if you are not looking for a business phone, there are alternatives which cost less and do more.
Phones where you can just put any Memory card with your mp3s and listen to music, or tune to the FM station, or use WiFI as you please.

So your statement The iPhone is nowhere near the BlackBerry phones, in terms of business features is the half truth. The truth is, in terms of all features like multimedia, Navigation, Freedom, applications, iPhone is a step back, not a step forward.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:37   #900
BHPian

Airtel and Vodafone price will be same, airtel is not mad to increase price after knowing vodafones prices.. whos buying the iphone neway ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks