Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:22   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
has anybody of you heard about dashboard plate for attaching windshield mount to it and attach it to dashboard of the car
When I googled for it, 1.5 lakhs of pages were shown. Amazon.com: Dashboard Removable Adhesive Disk Plate for Garmin Nuvi, StreetPilot series Navigator, eTrex, Mio GPS, Magellan Roadmate, Maestro, TomTom One XL, Lowrance, Blackberry, Smartphone, iPod, iPhone Suction Cup Mount Bracket with 3M residue fre
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:25   #617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
has anybody of you heard about dashboard plate for attaching windshield mount to it and attach it to dashboard of the car
I am using a dashboard plate. Basically its a smooth circular plate which sticks to dashboard using adhesive, and then you can put your suction mount on this plate instead of the windscreen
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:34   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I got one with my Garmin Nuvi as well. Haven't used it yet.

@Tanveer: How good is it? I am worried that the adhesive might leave an ugly impression on the dash in case you remove the disk.
Old 24th February 2010, 08:42   #619
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so it is a adhesive rather than the double side tape
Old 24th February 2010, 10:08   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post

@Tanveer: How good is it? I am worried that the adhesive might leave an ugly impression on the dash in case you remove the disk.
Try using this: (Garmin Friction mount. Source: Amazon)

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics

I am using this and find it pretty good.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:10   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post

Thats true. I have read somewhere in the review of dashboard mounts that adhesives leave glue impressions on the dashboard which is tough to clean.

Anyday, windsheild mount is good.
I am not sure if it has an impact on the sindsheild sunfilm.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:18   #622
Team-BHP Support

Yes, its true, cleaning up the impression may be difficult. But I do not intend to take it off till I sell of the car!
Old 24th February 2010, 10:21   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Try using this: (Garmin Friction mount. Source: Amazon)

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics

I am using this and find it pretty good.
but amazon does not ship to india, can you tell where can i get it in india.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:38   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
I am not sure where have you reached with your research on buying, but if I you have not decided on buying one of these, I would suggest you to go for garmin devices. I think the above listed devices are not from a reputed company(correct me if I am wrong). They may look tempting however you might have tough time getting map support/updates for them

Garmin devices are widely accepted world wide and you will get a lot of map providers globally. If you think garmin devices in India are oudated then you can buy one from US.There is a site Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands , you can buy them at reasonable price. Also then you can buy maps from mapmyindia or any other reputed provider. Do check the models supported by map providers in India before buying.

Last when I calculated, one of high end garmin devices(20north) with official maps from mapmyIndia, totally costed arounf 17k while mapmyIndia is selling a similar lower end version at 25k . So I guess a little RND + googling you can get a good deal.
Hi

Thats a very good advice that u have given.Most of these US dealers are selling 4.8 " Sony for 90 - 100 $. But unable to load any Indian maps.I bought one and breaking my head now.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:47   #625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but amazon does not ship to india, can you tell where can i get it in india.
Sir yes that is a problem. When I bought by Garmin, I got it all together shipped to some one in US. Folks in my company who keep travelling carried it for me.

BTW Amazon does ship to India. I have shipped books many times. The only problem, it may get stuck in customs if it is some electronic item. Since it was a book, it came without a problem. Also you can pay more and ask expedited shipping. It comes in 3-4 days. But yes, the price is steep.

Last edited by ampere : 24th February 2010 at 10:49.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:40   #626
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravindran353 View Post
Hi

Thats a very good advice that u have given.Most of these US dealers are selling 4.8 " Sony for 90 - 100 $. But unable to load any Indian maps.I bought one and breaking my head now.
Which unit? If its a windows CE unit you can install any of these softwares
Satguide destinator
Mapmyindia
Garmin Mobile XT
Old 25th February 2010, 09:33   #627
BHPian

I have ordered Garmin Nuvi 265WT from Best Buy.com for USD 172 (approx Rs. 8500). This will be delivered to my friends address in US and he will bring it to me during March next week.

Now i am confused between
1. MMI (Rs. 7000)
2. SatNav (Rs. 2000)

Which is a better map ? There is a huge price difference between the two but i dont see any with the features.

Friends, pls throw some light on this, thanks.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:04   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
1. MMI (Rs. 7000)
2. SatNav (Rs. 2000)
Which is a better map ? There is a huge price difference between the two but i dont see any with the features.
As per my research, all the reviews suggest going for MMI maps as they are more comprehensive but for that you have to shell 5k extra, so if your pocket is allowing go for it, otherwise at 2k satguide will also be a better bargain, and not much efforts to your pocket and may be GOOD for you as well
Old 25th February 2010, 10:56   #629
Senior - BHPian

I do see in MMI website various rates for Map Upgrade, so i think next map upgrade we would have to pay up.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:41   #630
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
I have ordered Garmin Nuvi 265WT from Best Buy.com for USD 172 (approx Rs. 8500). This will be delivered to my friends address in US and he will bring it to me during March next week.

Now i am confused between
1. MMI (Rs. 7000)
2. SatNav (Rs. 2000)

Friends, pls throw some light on this, thanks.
Satnav website now shows 2187 rupees. Do those maps come in sd card that can be readily viewed in garmin device? Or does one need to install anything in the PND? Also, what will happen to the existing maps (US/ Canada)? Does one lose it upon getting SatNav/ MMI?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks