Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 12:14   #2851
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
requirement for a high efficiency AC in my computer cum office room. I am tempted to go for DC Inverter based 5* models as this will be used at least 15 hours/day for at least 7 months a year.
The Daikin Inverter is extremely energy efficient (model: FTKD60FVM).
Mine is one year old and it consumes 50% less power than of my earlier OGeneral.
And it is unbelievably silent (both the In-Door-Unit and Out-Door-Unit).

But I have a recurring problem now: five out of ten times the unit does not start at-once, the error light starts blinking. I have to switch it off and then on again wasting five minutes each time. But there are no error codes shown on the display. After a few attempts it starts. The service guy visited many times but cannot find a solution.

He suggested a problem in my electrical lines.
I have cleaned up my electrical wires, earth-wire, etc but still no solution.

However after it starts, it does a wonderful job.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:20   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

Daikin 1.5t 2 star for 27xxx and 3 star available for 30xxx. Or look at sharp, should be around the same price as of daikin. I got sharp in my room a year back, paid 30k in all, with stablizer and all, 3 star and am very impressed with the same.
Are you sure about the service of Daikin and Sharp ? Is there a big difference in consumption between 2 star and 3 star? My usage will moderate.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:22   #2853
BHPian

We are facing a problem with our 7yr old LG window A/C.

When the outside temp is very high, the compressor takes a lot of time to kick in. When the compressor is running, the cooling is quite good. It runs for a few mins, turns off and takes a lot of time to kick in again. The room temp is no where near comfortable. This happens only when the outside temp is high.

Before calling LG service, i would like to understand what the problem might be. Is it better to get it serviced or replaced?

Please give your comments.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:26   #2854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post

When the outside temp is very high, the compressor takes a lot of time to kick in. When the compressor is running, the cooling is quite good. It runs for a few mins, turns off and takes a lot of time to kick in again. The room temp is no where near comfortable. This happens only when the outside temp is high.

Before calling LG service, i would like to understand what the problem might be. Is it better to get it serviced or replaced?

The problem is likely with the thermostat or temperature sensors.

You could try setting the temperature 2° C. lower and see if the compressor kicks in earlier.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:27   #2855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Are you sure about the service of Daikin and Sharp ? Is there a big difference in consumption between 2 star and 3 star? My usage will moderate.
Daikin is awesome, I found them very helpful, atleast here in Delhi. Sharp, well i have to use them still, will get AC serviced next week. But, the build quality of sharp is much much better then that of others.

If your usage is moderate, there won't be much difference in 2 and 3 star, but if you can extend, get a 5 star. You'll save in a long run.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:34   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Please recommend a 1 ton or 0.8 ton split A/C which I am planning to install in guest room. Usage will be very low so there is hardly any consideration for star ratings etc. Want a quality low cost solution. Preferably under 25k.

Last edited by bluevolt : 31st March 2013 at 12:35.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:50   #2857
BHPian

We're having problems with our Voltas Vertis 1.5 ton AC since the beginning of purchase. We found the cooling never to be great and noise too much to bear all the time.

Second season of use saw the compressor fan (made of plastic) break into a thousand bits and send these bits all over the place. Replaced under warranty.

Third season of use and there is no cooling from the AC at all. After submitting a service request via their online form once and then via their call center another time and still waiting for a technician visit.

Meanwhile, we're having to adjust in one room where we have a Whirlpool 1.5 ton (which by the way is of fantastic quality - low noise, great cooling, metal fan).

I know there are people who vouch by Voltas and that is why my mother was insistent on this brand, but now she totally gets why I didn't feel patriotic during my AC purchase
Old 31st March 2013, 12:52   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
The problem is likely with the thermostat or temperature sensors.

You could try setting the temperature 2° C. lower and see if the compressor kicks in earlier.
Previously the temp was set at 23°C but now the temp is set at 16°C. Still the compressor doesnt kick in for about 20-30 mins after turning the AC on.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:55   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Please recommend a 1 ton or 0.8 ton split A/C which I am planning to install in guest room. Usage will be very low so there is hardly any consideration for star ratings etc. Want a quality low cost solution. Preferably under 25k.
There is no "bad" choice among popular brands for limited use. Install one with best service in your area. you could visit a reliance mart in your area.they ar selling last year stock a t 30% discount.youll get a .8 split for 16-18k.
Old 31st March 2013, 13:29   #2860
Senior - BHPian

How good are Panasonic air conditioners? I am getting the cube 1.25 model for around 22k and 1 ton split for around 21k.
Old 31st March 2013, 13:50   #2861
Senior - BHPian

The compressor is overheating and tripping the high pressure cut off. It will take it's own sweet time to cool down before starting again and then will trip all over again. The first thing to do is to keep the thermostat at say 24~26 deg C range. In hot weather the compressors are really strained to bring the indoor temps down by every single degree vis a vis the outside. So rather than trying to feel the chill it is advisable to have the indoors at a comfortable level which is also easy on the machine.

Now besides various reasons which are too exhaustive to post here, this happens for two major reasons

1. The ODU fan has a problem and is not functioning properly hence it is unable to effect sufficient heat transfer
OR
2.when the condensor unit (limited by it's design) is not able to exchange heat at the desired rate for the given ambient temperature

The latter is a common phenomenon that happens when the ambient consistently hits 40 deg C and beyond in the North

However I doubt if B'lore sees that kind of temperatures. It would therefore be worthwhile getting the machine checked for problems with the ODU fan, the starting & running capacitors etc.

Quote:

Escalate your problem to Daikin, the problem is definitely with the unit, get it sorted within warranty as inverter's electronics are terribly expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim
Daikin inverter

They are of the better ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
How good are Panasonic air conditioners? I am getting the cube 1.25 model for around 22k and 1 ton split for around 21k.

Last edited by khoj : 31st March 2013 at 13:54. Reason: responding to an additional post
Old 31st March 2013, 14:26   #2862
BHPian

Quote:

Previously the temp was set at 23°C but now the temp is set at 16°C. Still the compressor doesnt kick in for about 20-30 mins after turning the AC on.
Its a common problem among ac's specially in north India during peak summers. Even refrigerators stop cooling in extreme summer tempratures.

If your ac is facing direct sunlight over it then try to relocate it to some other window or change the position of outdoor unit in case its a split. I have faced the same problem in last couple of years with one of my window ac.

Although seven years normally means the end of an ac's lifespan. So you may like to buy a new one.
Old 31st March 2013, 15:26   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Compressor stopping in very hot weather means that the thermal overload relay overheating.
. Check and change the relay if it is defective
. As suggested use a higher temperature setting - 24 or 25 degrees, that will ease the load
. Check the gas. Sometimes low gas will overheat the compressor in hot weather.

As your AC is 7 years old, change it if any major repair is required, as many components will at the end of their life.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:03   #2864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Now besides various reasons which are too exhaustive to post here, this happens for two major reasons

1. The ODU fan has a problem and is not functioning properly hence it is unable to effect sufficient heat transfer
OR
2.when the condensor unit (limited by it's design) is not able to exchange heat at the desired rate for the given ambient temperature
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
Although seven years normally means the end of an ac's lifespan. So you may like to buy a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As your AC is 7 years old, change it if any major repair is required, as many components will at the end of their life.
Thank you for the suggestions. The AC is in the west side balcony and faces direct sunlight throughout afternoon. Will try to reduce the exposure.

Found some videos on youtube which suggest cleaning the machine thoroughly and checking if it makes any difference.

This is a pre- energy rating era AC and the power bills are upwards of 4k. Replacing this unit makes sense in terms of power usage and money too. Seriously considering the same.

Any reviews on Bluestar?

Last edited by Pallavi : 31st March 2013 at 21:07.
Old 1st April 2013, 14:26   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Lots of views shared but unable to come to a decision from them. I need to go in for a 5* rated 1.5T a/c. Among Daikin and BlueStar, which is the better performing product/brand?

Requirements are reliable product, economical running cost [that's why the preference for 5* rated a/c and at least operate for 5 yrs].

Is Hitachi better than Daikin & BlueStar? Thanks for your suggestions/recommendations. So hot in b'lore that cannot do without a good a/c now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks