Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 23:59   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new friend - HTC HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
@harjeev, this site has a neat ToDo for both Andrioid & WP7 on HD2. Check out the ROMs you like and there is link to installation instruction.

1) Top Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread NAND Android ROM for HTC HD2
Installation guide: How to Install NAND Android on HTC HD2 with ClockworkMod Recovery? (Video)

2) Top 3 Windows Phone 7 (WP7) ROMs for HTC HD2
Installation guide: How to install Windows Phone 7 on HTC HD2? (Video)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Harjeev,

Check the thread posted below. It has all you need to run an Android on your phone including some very detailed tutorials.

**HD2 Android NAND Development - Sticky Roll-Up Thread** - xda-developers

First time setup is a little time consuming. But once you have it up and running, it's pretty cool. I was using this the ROM attached below. i found it to be the most stable amongst all the Android ROM's.

[13.Apr.11][RAM HD] imilka's RAM Desire HD v2.0 [Des HD][A2SD][K:Raf1.9OC] - xda-developers

At present I am running the NoDo update of WP7. Works perfect except for the battery drain issue which I guess all Android and WP7 ROM's have.

Let me know if you need any help setting up Android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
This link explains about installation of Android on SD and dual boot.
I am planning to do this in the weekend.

How To Boot Android From SD Card Of HTC HD2 With MAGLDR
Thanks msdivy vikram_d & gopinathann

Hey Guys, Thanks a lot for the link , However I tried the ones only by msdivy but still couldn't boot onto android. I think that I did some mistakes. Completed all the processes till installing android on HD2 till the clockwork recovery mode
How to Install NAND Android on HTC HD2 with ClockworkMod Recovery? (Video)
This is when I gave up and then flashed the phone back to WM6.5.

Later while browsing the XDA forum I came across a note that made me realise I didnt flash the phone with the
Download NexusHD2-Gingerbread v2.7 NAND Android Zip ROM for HTC HD2
Was this my mistake???

I know that this a foolish question but after the Clockwork Recovery mode is done, has the Gingerbread thingy has to be flashed separately??

I am itching to feel the Android experience but was not successful.
I did everything by the book on the site but still couldn't manage it.
Please help!!!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I am in a similar situation as Harjeev, but with the older model as mentioned in this thread - the HD.

All threads at XDA for HD have obsolete link for downloading the installer.

Guys - any help?

Just saw your post HappyWheels
However if you read my reply above, I think that I completed all the processes correctly but didn't do the last one step. Anyways will surely try again tomorrow.

Last edited by harjeev : 28th May 2011 at 00:02.
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 13:24   #212
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

If you just want a play with Android then go for a version that runs off the SD card. I was running a custom WM rom from xda and it had a Launch Android icon in the tools menu. All I had to do was flash a compatible radio and copy the Android folder to the SD card. Clicked the launch android Icon and after a few minutes (takes longer to boot on first boot) I was running android. I rarely use WM now and boot straight into android. Battery time is poor, but I am using the data connection more on the phone than I used to in WM.

I used this guide:

[REF] A Brief guide to Installing and Maintaining Android [SD/RAM] on HD2 - xda-developers

and run americanandroid from the SD card.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:35   #213
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

The simplified process of flashing a Nand Android ROM is as follows.
  1. Go to the bootloader (the 2 coloured screen) and flash Magldr1.13.
  2. After the Magldr is flashed, go to the USB Flasher mode and flash the Clockwork recovery Mod with the partition size that is needed for the ROM that you choose to install. The partition size that is needed will be mentioned in the ROM thread.
  3. Very important note - A lot of the Nand ROM's require a 1Gb Ext 3 partition on the SD card. You can create this partition on the card with Clockwork Mod. Explore all the options and you will find it.
  4. After creating the partition, you will have to copy the zip file of the ROM that you intend to flash on to your SD Card.
  5. Last step is to go into Clockwork Mod and then install the zip file that you just copied on to the SD card.
Some precautions to remember.
  1. Before doing any of this you will have to install the 2.15.50.x radio software on the phone. This is the piece of software that controls all your phone functions like calls, bluetooth and wifi. Any radio with the format 2.x.50.x will work. But I recommend 2.15.50.14 radio. You can find the download on XDA.
  2. Almost all the ROM threads have detailed instructions on how to install that particular ROM. So read the first few posts of the thread completely and follow them to the letter.
And if all else fails there is always Windows Phone 7 which is a very simple 2 step install. Flash Magldr and then Flash WP7 ROM....lol..

Edit: Bigman - if you are permanently using Android then why don't you flash a Nand Android ROM? Why the need to keep WM 6.5 when you don't use it? Am saying this because there is a huge performance difference between a version running from the SD card and one running from the Nand.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th May 2011 at 13:38.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 16:40   #214
Senior - BHPian

Vikram, is there that much difference between the sd and NAND versions?

One reason have kept WM is that I have some GPS apps which you can't get for android. I have tried alternatives in android but they have not tickled my fancy. I have got a ZTE Blade which runs android as a spare phone but the battery life on that handset is poor.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:13   #215
Senior - BHPian

@bigman, I have found booting & running Android on SD card a bit slow.

Any recommendation for a good Android Honeycomb ROM?

Note: Shouldn't this thread be renamed as HTC HD/HD2 ?
Old 30th May 2011, 17:42   #216
BHPian

This weekend tried installing Android SD ROM, really excellent, but lost my WM 6.5 ROM as it has been overwritten. MAGLDR supports only WM7 and Android for multi boot but not WM 6.5, so I am not able to use my favorite apps in 6.5.

Now the phone is running from SD only, once I am happy with any version, will flash it into internal memory.

Quote:
This link explains about installation of Android on SD and dual boot.
I am planning to do this in the weekend.

How To Boot Android From SD Card Of HTC HD2 With MAGLDR
Old 30th May 2011, 18:25   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Vikram, is there that much difference between the sd and NAND versions?

One reason have kept WM is that I have some GPS apps which you can't get for android. I have tried alternatives in android but they have not tickled my fancy. I have got a ZTE Blade which runs android as a spare phone but the battery life on that handset is poor.
Performance wise there is a huge difference. Nand read/write is much faster than a SD card read write. Well if an app is the criteria then I guess you can run WinMo6.5 till you find a GPS app that you are happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
@bigman, I have found booting & running Android on SD card a bit slow.

Any recommendation for a good Android Honeycomb ROM?

Note: Shouldn't this thread be renamed as HTC HD/HD2 ?
Honeycomb as it stands now is only for Tablets. It does not have any phone features built in. So even if you install a Honeycomb ROM your phone will only be a tablet without phone, bluetooth or even wifi. If you want to get a feel of Honeycomb on your phone then you can install the Crawling City Honeycomb ROM that is available on XDA. But remember none of the phone functions work. Work on Honeycomb has almost come to a standstill because Google has not released the AOSP for Honeycomb yet. There is no date by when they will release it. So till that AOSP comes, the developers hands are tied.

Quote:
This weekend tried installing Android SD ROM, really excellent, but lost my WM 6.5 ROM as it has been overwritten. MAGLDR supports only WM7 and Android for multi boot but not WM 6.5, so I am not able to use my favorite apps in 6.5.

Now the phone is running from SD only, once I am happy with any version, will flash it into internal memory.
If the SD ROM overwrote your WinMo6.5 then it was not an SD version. It would have been a Nand version. The best and most stable Nand version that I have seen among the Android builds is the iMilka Desire HD Nand build which loads HTC Sense into the RAM and is blazingly quick and very stable. I used it as a daily use ROM for almost a month without any problems.
Old 30th May 2011, 18:56   #218
BHPian

My WM 6.5 ROM went once I flashed MAGLDR. As you suggested I will install iMilka Desire HD Nand as the primary and try other android ROMs from SD.

Quote:
Performance wise there is a huge difference. Nand read/write is much faster than a SD card read write. Well if an app is the criteria then I guess you can run WinMo6.5 till you find a GPS app that you are happy with.

Honeycomb as it stands now is only for Tablets. It does not have any phone features built in. So even if you install a Honeycomb ROM your phone will only be a tablet without phone, bluetooth or even wifi. If you want to get a feel of Honeycomb on your phone then you can install the Crawling City Honeycomb ROM that is available on XDA. But remember none of the phone functions work. Work on Honeycomb has almost come to a standstill because Google has not released the AOSP for Honeycomb yet. There is no date by when they will release it. So till that AOSP comes, the developers hands are tied.

If the SD ROM overwrote your WinMo6.5 then it was not an SD version. It would have been a Nand version. The best and most stable Nand version that I have seen among the Android builds is the iMilka Desire HD Nand build which loads HTC Sense into the RAM and is blazingly quick and very stable. I used it as a daily use ROM for almost a month without any problems.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:04   #219
Senior - BHPian

Once you install a Nand ROM you will not be able to run any ROM from the SD. For running a ROM from the SD card you will have to re-flash WinMo 6.5.

Quote:
My WM 6.5 ROM went once I flashed MAGLDR. As you suggested I will install iMilka Desire HD Nand as the primary and try other android ROMs from SD.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:45   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Harjeev,

If you just want a play with Android then go for a version that runs off the SD card. I was running a custom WM rom from xda and it had a Launch Android icon in the tools menu. All I had to do was flash a compatible radio and copy the Android folder to the SD card. Clicked the launch android Icon and after a few minutes (takes longer to boot on first boot) I was running android. I rarely use WM now and boot straight into android. Battery time is poor, but I am using the data connection more on the phone than I used to in WM.

I used this guide:

[REF] A Brief guide to Installing and Maintaining Android [SD/RAM] on HD2 - xda-developers

and run americanandroid from the SD card.
Quote:
Harjeev,

The simplified process of flashing a Nand Android ROM is as follows.
  1. Go to the bootloader (the 2 coloured screen) and flash Magldr1.13.
  2. After the Magldr is flashed, go to the USB Flasher mode and flash the Clockwork recovery Mod with the partition size that is needed for the ROM that you choose to install. The partition size that is needed will be mentioned in the ROM thread.
  3. Very important note - A lot of the Nand ROM's require a 1Gb Ext 3 partition on the SD card. You can create this partition on the card with Clockwork Mod. Explore all the options and you will find it.
  4. After creating the partition, you will have to copy the zip file of the ROM that you intend to flash on to your SD Card.
  5. Last step is to go into Clockwork Mod and then install the zip file that you just copied on to the SD card.
Some precautions to remember.
  1. Before doing any of this you will have to install the 2.15.50.x radio software on the phone. This is the piece of software that controls all your phone functions like calls, bluetooth and wifi. Any radio with the format 2.x.50.x will work. But I recommend 2.15.50.14 radio. You can find the download on XDA.
  2. Almost all the ROM threads have detailed instructions on how to install that particular ROM. So read the first few posts of the thread completely and follow them to the letter.
And if all else fails there is always Windows Phone 7 which is a very simple 2 step install. Flash Magldr and then Flash WP7 ROM....lol..
Hi bigman (Satnam) and vikram_d

I finally flashed the NAND Gingerbread 2.3.4 ([3.May.11][MAG/cLK] NexusHD2-Gingerbread V2.7 [GRJ22/Android2.3.4][Kernel:tytung_r10] ) on the HD2. I too used to use certain GPS apps on the WM6.5 but sacrificing those apps for a fast Android is completely worth it. Additionally I have a GARMIN 60csx standalone gps for all trail activities.
I am happy to say that Android ROCKS BIG time!!!

Loaded loads of apps and everything about this OS is great and I am wondering, Why the hell didnt I do this earlier.
I followed the instructions on this page [3.May.11][MAG/cLK] NexusHD2-Gingerbread V2.7 [GRJ22/Android2.3.4][Kernel:tytung_r10] - xda-developers + some steps from this page Download NexusHD2-Gingerbread v2.7 NAND Android Zip ROM for HTC HD2

The issue I was facing earlier was that the files that have been uploaded on jayceooi.com are some old versions especially the magldr & the clockworkmod recovery. This was causing the issue of my phone hanging the the Black & Green HTC bootup screen after flashing the Gingerbread version.

So I flashed back to WM6.5 and then after downloading the latest files from XDA did the complete process from start. and this time it worked like a charm.
Also I was omitting the process of creation of the partitions which was further causing issues.
Finally I am elated to say that Android is great Thanks a lot for all the help and support.
Cheers
Old 30th May 2011, 19:51   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once you install a Nand ROM you will not be able to run any ROM from the SD. For running a ROM from the SD card you will have to re-flash WinMo 6.5.
MAGLDR has option to boot from SD:

My new friend - HTC HD-magldrbootmenu.jpg

@harjeev, congrats !
I had followed the instruction on jayceooi.com in Feb & got it working. Since then haven't checked it.

Last edited by msdivy : 30th May 2011 at 19:58.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:09   #222
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Harjeev. Good to see that you got it going. Also once you have the ROM setup the way you like it, I would recommend that you do a full backup of it in Clockword Mod. In case any failure happens you can just restore the backup and be back in business in no time.

msdivy - For some weird reason that option has never worked for me. Tried it a couple of times without any luck. Must be a problem with my SD card or something. Currently I am very happy with WP7. Excellent and robust build. Hasn't hung up even once in my 15 days of usage.

Last edited by vikram_d : 31st May 2011 at 09:11.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:46   #223
BHPian

I am planning to install NAND android without clockworkmod recovery mode. In that case should I format the SD card with extended partitions ?

If I install clockworkmod, should I always install new NAND Roms through clockworkmod or directly flash it from USB using MAGLDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi bigman (Satnam) and vikram_d

I finally flashed the NAND Gingerbread 2.3.4 ([3.May.11][MAG/cLK] NexusHD2-Gingerbread V2.7 [GRJ22/Android2.3.4][Kernel:tytung_r10] ) on the HD2. I too used to use certain GPS apps on the WM6.5 but sacrificing those apps for a fast Android is completely worth it. Additionally I have a GARMIN 60csx standalone gps for all trail activities.
I am happy to say that Android ROCKS BIG time!!!

Loaded loads of apps and everything about this OS is great and I am wondering, Why the hell didnt I do this earlier.
I followed the instructions on this page [3.May.11][MAG/cLK] NexusHD2-Gingerbread V2.7 [GRJ22/Android2.3.4][Kernel:tytung_r10] - xda-developers + some steps from this page Download NexusHD2-Gingerbread v2.7 NAND Android Zip ROM for HTC HD2

The issue I was facing earlier was that the files that have been uploaded on jayceooi.com are some old versions especially the magldr & the clockworkmod recovery. This was causing the issue of my phone hanging the the Black & Green HTC bootup screen after flashing the Gingerbread version.

So I flashed back to WM6.5 and then after downloading the latest files from XDA did the complete process from start. and this time it worked like a charm.
Also I was omitting the process of creation of the partitions which was further causing issues.
Finally I am elated to say that Android is great Thanks a lot for all the help and support.
Cheers
Old 31st May 2011, 21:41   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann
I am planning to install NAND android without clockworkmod recovery mode. In that case should I format the SD card with extended partitions ?

If I install clockworkmod, should I always install new NAND Roms through clockworkmod or directly flash it from USB using MAGLDR.
I started from scratch. The link of the jayicool or something. (Can't seem to remember the name of the webpage now but you can see the exact link in my previous post) it had some threads which explained exactly what to upgrade and how to so it. I followed those posts like a Bible. Please see the webpage and if still you are not able to understand the process please do let me know and I would try to upload a detailed post on the exact process that I followed.
The only process that didn't work right was that the version on the webpage in question were older therefore I downloaded the latest from xdadevelopers.
Cheers
Old 1st June 2011, 11:10   #225
Senior - BHPian

Gopinathan - Not all ROMs can be installed without Clockwork recovery. So be careful while choosing which ROM you finally install.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks