Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 22:13   #136
Senior - BHPian

I am currently using GPSTracker for tracking.

Let me give this a try.

(Rocky - you see this? )
Old 20th July 2009, 23:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

I also used HD Tweak to enable GPS tagging of photos taken using the HD. This would be quite a nifty little tweak if you want to do a little travelogue with links to google earth from the photos.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:32   #138
BHPian

@HappyWheels,
Bigman was courteous to send me a PM regarding this too.

Thanks bigman, I have already subscribed to GPSed. Need to download and check it out.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:14   #139
Senior - BHPian

You will enjoy GPSed, you do not need to upload your tracks from your phone but can login to your account from a normal PC and upload from their web interface (saves on data costs).
Old 21st August 2009, 15:45   #140
BHPian

Guys,

A stupid question, I read all the posts in this thread but still some things were not clear, so here it is -

1. Do I need to buy a GPS software/maps in addition with HTC Touch HD to use GPS (some said that I can use Google maps, or some other free GPS software)?

2. I have an AirTel mobile office connection with unlimited data download. Will it be sufficient for GPS; or will I have to buy some additional service?

3. Now the most stupid question of all - will Touch HD give me complete functionality of a stand-alone GPS device or only a selected set?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 21st August 2009, 16:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

1. Yes you will need to get some satnav software or use the google offering.

2. You need no GPRS conneciton for GPS unless you are using the google offering over GPRS.

3. HD as with most other smartphones offers better functionality and flexibility than a stand alone device plus at the end of a journey put it in your pocket and take it with you.

Google ipmart forums and you will find plenty of satnav software to use on your HD.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:16   #142
BHPian

Thanx Bigman.

iPmart forum is a maze of links, I was almost there. Please tell me which the best, free GPS software for India, and I'll install that :-)

Thanks

Nitin
Old 21st August 2009, 17:22   #143
BHPian

@ntomer,

I have been using MapMyIndia and offline Google Maps and they are wonderful (Thanks again bigman and Suresh).

You could start with MMI.
Old 21st August 2009, 18:01   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Thanx Bigman.

iPmart forum is a maze of links, I was almost there. Please tell me which the best, free GPS software for India, and I'll install that :-)

Thanks

Nitin
Not sure about free s/w. Its all got to be paid for sadly apart from the google thing which I have never really liked (even with a 3G connection).
Old 25th August 2009, 14:26   #145
BHPian

How to disable Opera Mini access permission check?

Hi,

Yeah, I know that HD comes with Opera 9.5; and it is a much better browser than Opera Mini; but I have to reply on EDGE for connectivity; and it not very fast. I feel Opera mini is much faster, with it's pages optimized for rendering on GPRS networks.

Now my HD has come pre-installed with Esmertect JBed Build ID: 20080418.2.1; and I was able to install Opera Mini easily on it and it is working fine. But every time I connect it to internet, it ask permission from me twice. I faced the same problem with my Palm Treo 750 (running Windows Mobile 5.0) and there I used a fix to change selector.utf and it worked fine.

But this method isn't working on HTC HD; and what is more, when I copy the modified selector.utf, it's size is 343 bytes, but it is changed to 340 bytes by itself.

Please tell me how I can do this? It is really irritating to click so any times to access net; on my Plam Treo, I have assigned the side button to open browser and it took me two click to open a site in my bookmarks, on HD it takes about 6-7 clicks :-(

Thanks

Nitin
Old 25th August 2009, 14:52   #146
Senior - BHPian

Skyfire is another browser option. I am using this myself as I found that pages that failed to load in explorer or opera work fine in skyfire.

Anyone know what app you can use to upload from the phone to Picassa or Flickr?
Old 25th August 2009, 16:12   #147
BHPian

Hi,

Got it working!!! By default http://mini.opera.con installs an unsigned version of Opera Mini, which does not give an option of always providing access. I installed a Verisign signed version, and got an option to give access to Opera Mini always :-)

And after that I created a short cut to launch Opera Mini (JBed + Suite1), and brought it to the program menu. Now I can invoke Opera Mini in two taps (one of Windows icon, and one on Opera Mini launcher), and it connects directly, without asking for any permission.

BTW, due to HD's high resolution screen (480 X 800 pixel), even very small fonts are crystal clear and easily visible, making the browsing experience terrific.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 25th August 2009, 16:21   #148
BHPian

Another question - about headphone socket

Hi Guys,

The Touch HD has 3.5 mm socket for hands-free headset; this socket caters to both headphone and microphone.

Now my question is - can I put a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack in this socket? Will it affect the phone or headphone in anyway (since socket expects 3 inputs - 2 for stereo headphone and 1 for microphone, and will get only 2 - for stereo headphone)?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 25th August 2009, 21:50   #149
Senior - BHPian

NTomer,

Go ahead and user the 3.5mm headphone jack.

No harm will in using just a headphone jack. Been there, done that.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:36   #150

To test GPS you need a GPRS connection and google map. Download google map for mobile and install in your phone. Then you can locate your place in map if the GPS is activated. Once you get located, walk for some distance to see whether the GPS tracks you or not. I did a 800KM trip with the help of GPS in my brother's phone(Sony C702). All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks