Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:42   #196
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Thanks Rocky Balboa. I have done the above and it seems to be working at present.
However the No 2 above only has the option to select the home country and/or the time zone. It is not giving me the option to select the specific city.
I have unchecked the "Automatic change time zone" checkbox.

Lets see how it works now.
Old 25th October 2010, 15:49   #197
BHPian

Harjeev,

Thats right, the second option only lets You choose the timezone.
Hows Your HD behaving now?
Old 25th October 2010, 15:58   #198
Senior - BHPian

@Rocky Balboa

Never better. Loving every moment of it. Its a wonderful phone and the initial hiccups were because of some card games that I had downloaded from the internet. After I've formatted the phone, it has not hung or freezed in over a week.

One query though

Let say that I am driving and using Google maps or any other s/w like GPSed (to make GPS tracks)
now when I leave the phone on the standby screen and couple of minutes later the phone Auto-Locks. After the autolock, the unit looses the GPS link. Also when I keep the GPSed s/w or the Google maps running in the background and manually lock the phone using the CALL END button, the phone looses the GPS lock too.
This does not happen when I leave either of these two s/w in the foreground, This way the phone keeps the GPS lock perfectly.

Any idea why is this so???

Last edited by harjeev : 25th October 2010 at 16:00.
Old 25th October 2010, 19:26   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@Rocky Balboa

Never better. Loving every moment of it. Its a wonderful phone and the initial hiccups were because of some card games that I had downloaded from the internet. After I've formatted the phone, it has not hung or freezed in over a week.

One query though

Let say that I am driving and using Google maps or any other s/w like GPSed (to make GPS tracks)
now when I leave the phone on the standby screen and couple of minutes later the phone Auto-Locks. After the autolock, the unit looses the GPS link. Also when I keep the GPSed s/w or the Google maps running in the background and manually lock the phone using the CALL END button, the phone looses the GPS lock too.
This does not happen when I leave either of these two s/w in the foreground, This way the phone keeps the GPS lock perfectly.

Any idea why is this so???
This feature is a built in power saver feature. Anytime the phone locks, it automatically disables the Wifi and GPS connections. Also if you have Google Maps running in the background the phone will auto lock whether you lock it manually or not.

Logically speaking this functionality is correct as the software assumes that you do not need the Wifi & GPS when the phone it locked and it disables them both. But there are registry tweaks available to have both of them enabled even when the phone is locked. I would not recommend disabling this feature as it eats up the battery really quickly. You can do this only if your phone is on the charger.

If I remember correctly there is a small piece of software available that allows you to keep wifi on when the phone is suspend mode provided the phone is on charging.

Last edited by vikram_d : 25th October 2010 at 19:29.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:48   #200
Senior - BHPian

@Harjeev

Try tip 27.

[REF] *Leo Hints, Tips and Registry Tweaks* - Updated 10th October 2010. - xda-developers

Last edited by bigman : 26th October 2010 at 12:59.
Old 26th October 2010, 16:36   #201
Senior - BHPian

Bigman, the Tip No. 27 that you have pointed out to is useful only for users who use the custom made Slide2Unlock 2 lock screen. You can disable autolock using this tip but it would be dangerous having your phone in unlock mode when you are let's carrying it in your pocket. You would never what buttons have been pressed and what calls have been made without your knowing it. The lock screen is meant to prevent this from happening.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:00   #202
BHPian

@All,

Doesnt the phone auto-lock when the display dims? If so one could prevent it on external power from "Settings - System - Power - Advanced".

Since GPS will anyway drain the battery, i always put it on the car charger. This way I can prevent the phone from turning off, on external power.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:28   #203
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new friend - HTC HD

Anyone else dual booting android (from SD) and WM?

I have been running this for a few weeks (american android) and apart from the flaky data connection in android everything else works well.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:27   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Anyone else dual booting android (from SD) and WM?

I have been running this for a few weeks (american android) and apart from the flaky data connection in android everything else works well.
Havent tried running Android on the HD but I am running a Nand version on my HD2. Everything worls perfectly except for the battery drain that is somehow inherent in all Android ROM's and from what I hear even on a lot of Android phones.
Old 5th May 2011, 13:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

Mine is HD2. I bought a 16GB MicroSD card. For dual boot, I reserved 8GB for WP7 & 8GB for Android. I installed XBmod WP7. Got MarketPlace working. For Andriod, I tried GingerBread and then went back to Froyo (Desire HD). Both on SD card.
But now WP7 is my main phone. Haven't booted Android in 2 months. Only app I miss is Skype.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:54   #206
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
I have been seeing lots of posts of people using Andriod on HD2. I went to the XDAdevelopers site but couldn't figure out a thing on what to do and exactly how to go about it. There are so many versions of Android available that get me confused. Can someone please recemmond me how to go about it.
Like some say that whenever the user reboots the handset it will start in windows and then the Andriod version will have to be started again.
another states that it has to be done to the phone and the SD is not required.

I really want to use and see the feel of android on my HD2 but can figure out a thing. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Cheers
Old 27th May 2011, 19:00   #207
Senior - BHPian

@harjeev, this site has a neat ToDo for both Andrioid & WP7 on HD2. Check out the ROMs you like and there is link to installation instruction.

1) Top Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread NAND Android ROM for HTC HD2
Installation guide: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/01/07/h...ecovery-video/

2) Top 3 Windows Phone 7 (WP7) ROMs for HTC HD2
Installation guide: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/01/14/h...htc-hd2-video/

Last edited by msdivy : 27th May 2011 at 19:03. Reason: Adding links
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 19:58   #208
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

Check the thread posted below. It has all you need to run an Android on your phone including some very detailed tutorials.

**HD2 Android NAND Development - Sticky Roll-Up Thread** - xda-developers

First time setup is a little time consuming. But once you have it up and running, it's pretty cool. I was using this the ROM attached below. i found it to be the most stable amongst all the Android ROM's.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954369

At present I am running the NoDo update of WP7. Works perfect except for the battery drain issue which I guess all Android and WP7 ROM's have.

Let me know if you need any help setting up Android.

Last edited by vikram_d : 27th May 2011 at 19:59.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 20:05   #209
BHPian

This link explains about installation of Android on SD and dual boot.
I am planning to do this in the weekend.

How To Boot Android From SD Card Of HTC HD2 With MAGLDR
gopinathann is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 23:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

I am in a similar situation as Harjeev, but with the older model as mentioned in this thread - the HD.

All threads at XDA for HD have obsolete link for downloading the installer.

Guys - any help?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks