Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 12:22   #121
Senior - BHPian

Try the following you might find a simple geocaching s/w to download for free.

Free GPS Software - An Up-to-Date List

Also check your PM.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:40   #122
BHPian

Thanks bigman, I knew You and HW would be the first to reply
Thanks for the links, would see them from home.

When i opened Google Maps today, my current location (ECity) was shown in a giffy. Yesterday, all I was seeing was London in the Maps.

One quick question though, I have disabled Data Connection but looks like GPRS is still active. Any way to disable GPRS too, when I dont need it.
(havent had time to read the complete manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Try the following you might find a simple geocaching s/w to download for free.

Free GPS Software - An Up-to-Date List

Also check your PM.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 6th July 2009 at 12:43.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:45   #123
Senior - BHPian

Best way of disconnecting data is to use the No Data application from Modaco. New FREE Utility - NoData - WinMo @ MoDaCo

I run it on my Diamond as data charges can rack up a phone bill. I have a 3g iphone sim in the HD which comes with free 3g access for a year, its pre paid and cost £10 so I use that for data when needed.

Sometimes form a cold start it can take a while to lock on to a gps signal (if you was using that for google earth), otherwise it gets the information from cell tower triangulation which is not very accurate. I tried cell tower triangulation and it had me 3 miles from where I was. Turned on the GPS option and it was near enough spot on.

Last edited by bigman : 6th July 2009 at 12:48.
Old 6th July 2009, 13:55   #124
BHPian

No, you don't have to buy India maps to test GPS.
Lots of free applications to test GPS.

Most useful - Google maps. Need a data connection / WiFi for it to work though.

Once installed, just click the 'Use GPS' option in the menu to activate GPS.
You will get a blue dot with an arrow indicating your direction of travel, once the satellite lock is acquired.

Edit: Posted this as a reply to Rocky's question, didn't see the last page with other bhpian's replies. LOL

Last edited by d3mon : 6th July 2009 at 13:57.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Rocky,

Congrats on the purchase!

Guess you got very (very) quick answers from BigMan!

Do let me know if you need any help in setting up Google maps in your set. Will send across the required s/w, maps, blah blah...

And if you do so, please do not download the Google map tiles; I have the set. Maybe I can pass it to you when we meet or something.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:01   #126
BHPian

@bigman,
Thanks, 'NoData' did the trick. I was wondering about the 'Use GPS' option in the packed google maps, now I understand.

@d3mon,
I did see the blue dot on the google map, but dont remember seeing the directional arrow.

@HW,
Thanks buddy, its been a longggg wait.
I havent dwelt deeper into the GPS territory yet, where do I start?

* I installed 'NoData' to disable GPRS, after using the same for download
* When I went home and looked at the Google Maps, I expected the map to still show ECity as location. But was surprised to see the location updated to somewhere near KRPuram. Which means that my GPS is working perfectly, and works even when AGPS is disabled. Is it possible to switch-off GPS completely? Wouldnt this drain the device juice?

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 7th July 2009 at 12:07.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:12   #127
Senior - BHPian

To switch off GPS, you will need to switch of the application using it; so, ensure that that the Google Maps application is not running and it should be fine.

And yes, if GPS is working, expect the battery to drain fast, very fast.

And AGPS is for assisting the GPS device to get a lock on the satellites. The GPS device will work perfectly well without the AGPS; and the AGPS is only as useful as the last update that you have done (usually valid for 6 days).
Old 7th July 2009, 13:12   #128
BHPian

Woah, that was quick buddy.

Without AGPS, the GoogleMaps showed my correct location when I was at work. However, it was offset by about 5-6 kms when I launched from home yesterday. It showed a location which doesnt even come close to the route I take from office to home.

Launched Maps this morning on the hanging bridge and noticed the Maps showing the exact location even without AGPS. Wondering what went wrong yesterday.

And the power information showed "197" hours as standby time after full charge on sunday night. I am not sure if this is because of the soft-reset I did yesterday.

Observations:
1) The device feels very solid and I did not observe any drop between calls. No complaints from other parties on call.
2) Looks like auto-rotate is disabled even in Opera and Albums, in my ROM - 1.43.720.1. Teeter works fine, though.
3) A couple of times, Google Maps died when I enabled AGPS.
4) The led reminder for notifications does not light-up for more than 5 mins, incase of messages. (havent checked for missed calls).
5) Teeter game is very absolving .

Love the device, absolutely Love the device.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Auto rotate is supposed to be enabled only for the albums and web browser,; strange to hear that is has been disabled!

Ah, so you get a light notification also! Great.

And yes, Teeter is, mmmm....m addictive!

Once again, congrats on the buy and enjoy madi!

EDIT: Oh yes, and the Google Maps have this habit of placing you somewhere else, suddenly. But give it some time, and once the satellite fix is obtained, it will correct itself.

A question - when you say Google Maps came with the phone, is it downloading the tiles as you use (which I believe would not work, since you have set the GPRS to off). Then, how does it work?

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th July 2009 at 14:21.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:45   #130
BHPian

Thanks HW.Yeah the auto-rotate has been disabled in the ROM, but I kinda dont need it for now atleast. And the light notification is great but goes off after about 5 mins, for messages.

Even the restroom visits at home, have increased with Teeter

Here are the bugs I noted so far:
1) From the TF3D menu, select 'People' -> 'All People' -> 'Favorites' -> 'Add Favorites'. Select one from the contact, select the mobile number and the 'Album' shows up.
2) The weather screen does not refresh after a day change
3) Google Maps shutdown when enabling AGPS (as reported earlier)

Things to-do:
1) Get HDTweak
2) Disable SMS sent notification (and not delivery)
3) Group Contacts
4) Wallpaper on all tabs
5) Better battery indicator for taskbar

More living-with TD2, to follow.

Edit: Without GPRS, Google Maps do not download the tiles for areas not cached/seen before. This is where our meet comes in

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 8th July 2009 at 13:46.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Get yourself SPB shell and I think you might be a very happy person!

I was!
Old 8th July 2009, 14:29   #132
BHPian

HW,
thats a good one and i have been eying it for a long time. $30 price sure seem justified from the screenshots

And I just verified that my device's ROM does support auto-landscape. The menu was hidden in the setup tab and enabling it did auto-rotate in Albums and Opera. I am not fond of it, though.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... 30$ eh?

I reckon there might be a discount on that.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Here are the bugs I noted so far:
1) From the TF3D menu, select 'People' -> 'All People' -> 'Favorites' -> 'Add Favorites'. Select one from the contact, select the mobile number and the 'Album' shows up.
Thats not a bug, that is to add a picture for your favorite contact on the TF3D tab!! you also have the option of using a blank picture if you scroll down a bit on the album.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

Just been playing with GPSed today. Nice compact GPS tracking/logger type program. Works well on the HD and diamond. The download version is quite accurate but the premium version should be even more acurate as the time intervals can be changed (I think). After you have recorded a track/route you can upload the track to GPSed to share it with others or keep it private. It will let you login to your account on your PC and view the track using google earth etc. One of the best apps I have found to date in terms of easy of use and the web intergration. You can also link it with Flickr, Facebook etc etc.

You can download from: Map your tracks and photos, share your position from your mobile | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks