Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 18:04   #226
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

How to Edit the IP settings in WIFI, As per IT Guy in our office my phone takes wrong numbers in DNS.

Any solution for this ?
Old 30th March 2012, 18:23   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
well i did a third hard reset and after that, the battery seems to be doing alright. Getting about 30 hours or so of battery life with minimal usage. A couple of times i got about 22 or 23 hours, but i am getting some good battery life now.
Another thing you might want to check is if you work indoors/outside city limits where the cell radio works hard to get a signal.

Not much you can do about it, but you will know what's wrong. I guess you could turn off the radio (flight mode) when you don't need it.
Old 30th March 2012, 18:27   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
How to Edit the IP settings in WIFI, As per IT Guy in our office my phone takes wrong numbers in DNS.

Any solution for this ?
The phone will only take whatever number the DHCP server is providing. it cannot take the wrong DNS on it's own. More details about your exact problems would help in diagnosing the issue.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:50   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Another thing you might want to check is if you work indoors/outside city limits where the cell radio works hard to get a signal.

Not much you can do about it, but you will know what's wrong. I guess you could turn off the radio (flight mode) when you don't need it.
any chance the cell towers in Bangalore draw a lot of power from the phone radios?
Old 30th March 2012, 22:48   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post

Any solution for this ?
Didnt see that option yet, will let you know if I find out an easy one is possible.
For now, provide the MAC address of your phone to the Guy whos managing the networks/DHCP and ask him to reserve an IP for this MAC so that you get the IP that you want. As Vikram rightly said, it will take the DNS server that you have specified in the DHCP server only. Canont take on its own.

Last edited by Ketan : 30th March 2012 at 22:50.
Old 31st March 2012, 10:27   #231
Team-BHP Support

Although I knew this since quite some time; it struck me only yesterday.

Here's another bug with Mango - when you try to save a number which is already there in your contact list, Mango allows you to save it!

My basic Nokia and even Razr2 prompted each time I saved a no. I already had.

Wonder what name is displayed if I save a no. by 2 diff. names.
Old 31st March 2012, 12:47   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Although I knew this since quite some time; it struck me only yesterday.

Here's another bug with Mango - when you try to save a number which is already there in your contact list, Mango allows you to save it!

My basic Nokia and even Razr2 prompted each time I saved a no. I already had.

Wonder what name is displayed if I save a no. by 2 diff. names.
Another Bug:

Samsung Omnia W Mango: If a message exceeds the size limit it is not delivered and no notification of failure is given. Simply reduce the size of message and it gets delivered. What a shame...
Old 31st March 2012, 18:11   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Another Bug:

Samsung Omnia W Mango: If a message exceeds the size limit it is not delivered and no notification of failure is given. Simply reduce the size of message and it gets delivered. What a shame...
maybe the new firmware update fixes this...
Old 31st March 2012, 21:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
i have been a win phone user for 6 yrs now. Had an HTC with WinMobile 5 for 3+ yrs and then the ASUS M530W with the win mobile 6.5 for 3+ yrs. Want to upgrade and the options are moving to WinMobile 7.5 ( Mango ) and Android. After a bit of window shopping wife and i are tilting moretowards the Nokia Lumia 800 . The price quoted by the Nokia brand store is 22.5K for the 800 and 14.5K for the 710. I know that the 900 is round the corner and will be in the range of 30-32K. Needed suggestions on whether to take the plunge for 800 ( no front facing cam and no add on memory) or wait for the 900 ( not sure of additional features) . There is another twist to the tale. depending on whether my firm approves, I could be travelling to US for a long duration. These phones cost way less over there. Is it better to wait and watch then ? please suggest.
I got the 710 as I did not find 800 any better for my use. There are a few bugs in the Windows OS and I miss a few of Nokia features, primarily the file manager. I have yet to figure out how to transfer the files from computer to the phone, without going through the "Windows Live Route". Another pain is transferring address book from Nokia to Windows Phone, some thing or the other is always left out. Transferring via VCard is the only option for multiple phones and photos in the address book
Old 31st March 2012, 21:37   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another Bug:

Never had this issue with my HTC HD7, running on Windows 7.5.
Old 31st March 2012, 21:46   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another Bug:

I have never had this bug either.
Old 1st April 2012, 08:49   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I got the 710 as I did not find 800 any better for my use. There are a few bugs in the Windows OS and I miss a few of Nokia features, primarily the file manager. I have yet to figure out how to transfer the files from computer to the phone, without going through the "Windows Live Route". Another pain is transferring address book from Nokia to Windows Phone, some thing or the other is always left out. Transferring via VCard is the only option for multiple phones and photos in the address book
Hey, I shifted from a Nokia e72 to the Lumia 710 and transferring contacts was an issue there too. Found this really helpful Nokia store down the road from forum who tried doing this with multiple Lumia 710 and 800 handsets but that contact transfer app didn't work as expected. We eventually transferred the contacts from my e72 to some other Nokia phone and then to my Lumia 710.

This method might work for you, but since then the contact transfer app has been updated so, i was actually hoping this bug was resolved. Guess not :P
Old 1st April 2012, 19:23   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Hey, I shifted from a Nokia e72 to the Lumia 710 and transferring contacts was an issue there too. Found this really helpful Nokia store down the road from forum who tried doing this with multiple Lumia 710 and 800 handsets but that contact transfer app didn't work as expected. We eventually transferred the contacts from my e72 to some other Nokia phone and then to my Lumia 710.

This method might work for you, but since then the contact transfer app has been updated so, i was actually hoping this bug was resolved. Guess not :P
I had to transfer the contacts from 6681 of more than 5 years vintage (I lost a newer phone C5-03 a few months ago). The problems were

1. The 710 and 6681 refused to connect with each other over bluetooth, even though they were visible to each other. Both phones connected to my laptop and my sons Galaxy S2!

2. The export from Nokia Suite did not export Photos.

3. Ultimately my son exported the addresses in V Card format over bluetooth to a laptop and then uploaded the contacts to GMail.
Old 1st April 2012, 21:49   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The 800 is being preferred just for the color base more than anything else by my spouse. Any easy way of sorting out the address book and transferring it from Nokia to Windows ?
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:53   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
The 800 is being preferred just for the color base more than anything else by my spouse. Any easy way of sorting out the address book and transferring it from Nokia to Windows ?
None that I have been able to figure out. The steps are
1. Export in V Card format to a Laptop
2. Import V Card format into GMail
3. Synchronize the Windows Phone with GMail

I tried various third party software for reading the Nokia PC Suite data. They export all the data to a CSV format, but getting other software to recognize and allocate the fields is a pain, so I gave up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks