Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2006, 13:51   #631
BHPian

Hi Steeroid, Where did you get this Eten, I searched for it in India and could not get any leads. I have one sony ericcson phone and ipaq 1940. Planning to merge these two :-) And also, let me know the price tag (to check with my boss, if you gives any hikes this summer or not )

thanks in advance
Old 6th April 2006, 13:57   #632
Senior - BHPian

steeroid...how much did you pay for the eten? Did you buy it in middle east?

How good is the screen for ebooks and playing games like monopoly and Tennis addict?

Last edited by satish_appasani : 6th April 2006 at 13:58.
Old 6th April 2006, 14:00   #633
BANNED

pingmepal
Eten M600 is available IN india @ 29k nice pda phone !
Old 7th April 2006, 01:00   #634
Senior - BHPian

I bought the Eten in DXB for the equivalent of Rs.27,000 with a free 1GB SD Card.

The screen is a lot better than any other PDA-Phone that I've used so far and its also a lot more responsive than other HTC phones. To test the speed, we got a friend's Jamin logged on to the office wifi network first, then started up Skype on the Jamin, AFTER WHICH I switched on WiFi on the Eten and started Skype. The Eten was online in about 8 seconds while the Jamin was still in the process of starting up Skype (we couldnt even see the application on the screen, just the cursor).

I repeat, Eten rocks. I upgraded to the latest ROM yesterday and wonder of wonders Skype can now be switched between the rear and front speakers - you no longer have to hold the phone in reverse (screen facing outwards) while Skype-ing and this is something HTC havent managed as yet. They're also expected to release yet another ROM version soon with MS AKU (Push Email) support...goodbye Blackberry too!

There are some issues with Bluetooth and WiFi Activesync, though. I'm still trying to figure these out. Meanwhile I'm still making free calls happily on Skype - WiFi connectivity on this one is so good that I really dont miss 3G. With a couple of free War Games applications like WiFiFoFum and/or Hitchhiker its easy to find a network and log on!

@ Satish - screen's good enough to play Monopoly, Scrabble, Battleship, Arkaball (arkanoid clone), and then some more. For more details on games, ask Duboy. I dont read e-books since I spend too much time in front of the PC anyway.

PS: Eten comes with 'Scenarios' the first (?) implementation of Phone "Profiles" (General/Outdoor/Meeting/Indoor etc) on a PocketPC Phoneand a dandy Call-Filter....reach home and put your boss's number of blacklist and it will block all his calls and SMSs !!!!!!

PPS: Voice Command works well on Eten, EVEN OVER BLUETOOTH!

PPPS: Eten comes with GPS Support..you just need to pair with a standard GPS device over bluetooth and Bingo you're on satnav.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th April 2006 at 01:15.
Old 7th April 2006, 01:30   #635
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Phoneand a dandy Call-Filter....reach home and put your boss's number of blacklist and it will block all his calls and SMSs !!!!!!
How good is the call filter?... Does the caller even gets a single ring through?

I have smartfilter on my O2 mini... it doesn't block SMSs.. but does reject the calls by the time the caller hears half a ring.
BUT it has negative effect.... people ask me.. why did you reject our call.
Then I explain ... I never got a call... b'coz if you heard half a ring... how can I reject a call on a PDA so soon?... (take it out of case etc..etc...)
Old 7th April 2006, 01:41   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got hold of an Eten M600, and I'm luvin it! Free calls on Skype thanks to WiFi at home and office - BEAT THAT!

Compared a whole host of Win Mobile 5 devices (except the O2 Atom which is not available here) and decided on the Eten because it had the best speed and seemed a lot more stable than the others. The imate Jamin was probably the next in line in terms of stability, but it didnt have the speed of the M600 or the processing capacity to handle Skype over WiFi.

So far, so good. Will update if there are any issues and post a review sometime - this is my first non-HTC Pocket PC device in recent times and I would really like it if somebody puts one across HTC's bow because they're becoming pricey and very selective in the features offered on their different models. It seems to be their marketing strategy NOT to give everything to the customer at one shot and instead keep releasing 'new' products that are basically the same old products regurgitated with features and hardware that should've been there in the first place.

If this works, I'm betting on Eten.
how much did u get for ur Imate.... Jam right?
Old 7th April 2006, 09:59   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
how much did u get for ur Imate.... Jam right?
I havent sold it....still to decide what to do with it. And the Motorola A1000 too. Need to get rid of one or both and am yet to make up my mind.
Old 7th April 2006, 10:28   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I havent sold it....still to decide what to do with it. And the Motorola A1000 too. Need to get rid of one or both and am yet to make up my mind.
A1000 ; tell me when you make up your mind
Old 7th April 2006, 12:09   #639
BANNED

Steeroid
Can u tell me hows the sound quality from loudspeaker when listening to mp3 & is this true that jamin doesn't have a speakerphone ?
Old 7th April 2006, 12:55   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
Steeroid
Can u tell me hows the sound quality from loudspeaker when listening to mp3 & is this true that jamin doesn't have a speakerphone ?
I dont listen to mp3s on the loudspeaker - I use stereo bluetooth instead (Iteq Blueband). I dont think its a great idea to listen to MP3s on the loudspeaker of any phone - the sound quality will be awful. The Eten's loudspeaker is just about sufficient to hear what the other person is saying in a telephone conversation - I wouldnt bet on it for any other application.

Jamin has a speakerphone - on the reverse like all other pocketpcs.
Old 7th April 2006, 13:00   #641
Team-BHP Support

Steeroid seems like the Eten is better than the Atom. Wish I had waited for your research.
Old 7th April 2006, 13:12   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Steeroid seems like the Eten is better than the Atom. Wish I had waited for your research.
Atom offers 802.11 b & g if I'm not mistaken...Eten gives you 802.11 b.

Atom also gives you the FM Radio which is absent from the Eten - this was not a priority for me anyway.

Atom is also smaller than the Eten (which is quite compact by itself!).

I've seen and used the Atom, but I couldnt get one for a side-by-side comparison here since its not sold in the Middle East.

That said, Eten's OS is much more stable (it has its share of minor bugs) and they are quite prompt in releasing new updates - they have released about 5 ROM updates to the market since they brought out the product, as compared to O2s sluggish response.

BUT - The Eten is at least $150 - $175 cheaper than the Atom or the iMate (depending on where you buy it from).....................you cant beat the device for value for money, performance or stability.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th April 2006 at 13:13.
Old 7th April 2006, 14:28   #643
Senior - BHPian

steeroid
How is the sound quality on Eten? I read on www.etuen-users.net that there are lots of troubles with the sound clarity. Either you can't hear clearly or others can't hear you properly....
Old 7th April 2006, 15:28   #644
BHPian

Had a basic query about WiFi phones?
What is the role of the cellPhone Service provider for WiFi?

I have a wireless router at home, will i be able to access the net using such phone immaterial of the service provider?
Old 7th April 2006, 15:59   #645
BANNED

Quote:
I dont think its a great idea to listen to MP3s on the loudspeaker of any phone - the sound quality will be awful.
Hey i've asked bcoz i'm going to choose mp3 as a ringtone so sound quality is more imprtant to me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks