Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2006, 06:52   #676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
what does a smart phone do that a non smart phone does not.

there has never been a proper definition of a smartphone and a non smartphone.

basically a smartphone is a phone which runs a Open ended OS like

Windows
palm
Symbian
Linux

3rd party vendors can develops softwares and applications which are universally applicable to all the phones inthe range.

usual non-smartphone usually runs on Java or Brew platforms. Not much applications except J2me applications are available for these.

I have written this down in my own words but a better definition maybe available on the net.
Old 21st April 2006, 09:56   #677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
basically a smartphone is a phone which runs a Open ended OS .
How doe sthis help? I wonder? I shifted from a 6230i to a O2 Atom and have not really benefitted from this. the 6230i was a good phone with decent abttery life.

the O2's camera is less usable than the 6230i. it only works well in good daylight but not in most indoor situations.

Windows Media Player is difficult to use on a phone.

I dont know why MS needs to use teh same interface on the phone as they door the desktop. these 2 devices are very very different in use and ability.
Old 21st April 2006, 10:18   #678
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the thing.... its not a phone. It was never supposed to be one.
The device called pocket Pc was first used... without a radio.

Its just that the same pocket PC got a radio transmitter.... it does not make it a phone. Its just one of the applications installed into it "phone".

I have 35+ custom softwares installed in my O2 Mini... trialware or otherwise. And I use most of them. A "phone" is a device that can not be compared.

Nevertheless.... if someone is looking for a phone!... Pocket PC's phone application is not the best around.

Last edited by SLK : 21st April 2006 at 10:20.
Old 21st April 2006, 11:01   #679
BHPian

Am looking for a good wifi phone with a decent camera, what would be a good buy.

When i say wifi? does it mean i can connect to a wireless access point directly thru 802.1b? i.e. If i have a wireless router at home/office can i connect to the net?

Does this wifi access depend on the service provider ?
Old 21st April 2006, 11:47   #680
BHPian

Need itunes and sync software for Motorola Razr V3i!

Hey people,

I just got myself the v3i. Problem is I need the software to run in on windows 2000 professional. I already have the itunes software for the ipod, but can't run it on my present os. Any ideas where I download the itunes/ mobile sync software for my phone that is compatible with my os, without having to install another os? Or any suggestions on how to make it run on the present os?

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 21st April 2006, 13:04   #681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Nevertheless.... if someone is looking for a phone!... Pocket PC's phone application is not the best around.
I was looking for a device that would be (in this order)
a) phone
b) SMS and MMS
c) address book like my Palm pilot
d) good camera
e) Mp3 player in a pinch in case my ipod is not available
f) Wifi to access email
g) email client
everything else was extra.

as it is i cant use it's camera becuase of the poor resolution, cant use the Mp3 player as it's headphone out uses a special cable not a standard cable, and the Wifi is weak (much weaker than my laptop's wifi). effectively everything from d-g is pretty much not used.
Old 22nd April 2006, 14:21   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for a device that would be (in this order)
a) phone
b) SMS and MMS
c) address book like my Palm pilot
d) good camera
e) Mp3 player in a pinch in case my ipod is not available
f) Wifi to access email
g) email client
everything else was extra.

as it is i cant use it's camera becuase of the poor resolution, cant use the Mp3 player as it's headphone out uses a special cable not a standard cable, and the Wifi is weak (much weaker than my laptop's wifi). effectively everything from d-g is pretty much not used.
Ok lets see.

1. wi-fi to send email limits choices to pocket pc phones as of that time
2. xda atom at the time you got one was the only phone with wifi to sport a 2mp cam with flash.
3. mp3 player in a pinch. I find the media player pretty easy to use. Now here is where u get the smartphone concept in handy. google for a new music player which will let you configure the buttons your way.
4. addressbooks like your palm pilot which is present.

now regarding your problems

1. did u update the latest FW that had major cam improvements? The changes wont be drastic but at the other forums people have claimed upto 10-15% improvements.
2. cable converters are available in the market. If u can spend a bit more then look at BT stereo headsets. they are worth the investment as they work with all Bt1.2 and above supported music phones.
3. wi-fi G had not come into the market (n91, jamin,n91, n80, n92) when you purchased the atom. But I still think the speeds should be enough for you to check e-mails.

To verify this I just used the email thru wi-fi on a hp ipaq 6230. It worked flawlessly here.

Quote:
How doe sthis help? I wonder? I shifted from a 6230i to a O2 Atom and have not really benefitted from this. the 6230i was a good phone with decent abttery life.

the O2's camera is less usable than the 6230i. it only works well in good daylight but not in most indoor situations.

I dont know why MS needs to use teh same interface on the phone as they door the desktop. these 2 devices are very very different in use and ability.
The answer to your question is this.

my dad uses a sonyericsson t630. before this he used to have t610.

I am using a motorola e680i linux smartphone. previously I had s65. logically speaking s65 non-smartphone was a mistake I made. before that I have had all kinds of smartphones, pocketpc phones and pda phones.

my dad has always stayed with simple, small and elegant non-smartphones that also have 3-4 days battery life.

I have always gone for something new each and everytime from a windows,linux, symbian, pda, sx1 styling, n-gage gaming to everything where battery life is never more than a day, the phone hangs atleast 1ce a day, I mess up the sytem 1ce-2ice a week so as to completely reintall the software and complex to use.

it totally depends on how the end user is going to persue the advantages.

according to me Windows smartphones and windows pocket pc phones( both are different categories. for eg mpx220 and xda atom) are the biggest wrong steps microsoft has taken that is surprisingly earning them money. The biggest reason for the chunk of the sales is the similarity to the desktop and laptop counterparts that you are talking about.

I believe that for a pocket pc pda

palm and linux are the best bet

for a smart phone

symbian phones are the best bet.

btw for the needs you specified I still find the atom to be the best fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel
Am looking for a good wifi phone with a decent camera, what would be a good buy.

When i say wifi? does it mean i can connect to a wireless access point directly thru 802.1b? i.e. If i have a wireless router at home/office can i connect to the net?

Does this wifi access depend on the service provider ?
In 1 word.... yes. for a good camera phone forget pocket pc's. the choices you will have are nokia n80, sonyericsson p990 or nokia n91. I would suggest p990. Availability will be very soon. but if camera is more on the priority list then look at nokia n80. In pocket pc's all 2mp cameras will be poor with flakes but look at the following.

O2 XDA Neo/i-mate JAMin/Qtek S200
O2 xda atom

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd April 2006 at 14:23.
Old 23rd April 2006, 21:52   #683
BHPian

Hey, I use a V3i too and I didn't quite understand your problem... You do get the needed software with the phone itself... iTunes and Motorola Phone Tools. And if they aren't working then check whether your OS is updated with the latest Service Pack or then try finding an iTunes versions from www.apple.com which will be compatible with Win 2000 Pro or earlier versions and also try using the backward compatibilty option if at all Win 2000 Pro has it...

Cheers,
Alok
Old 24th April 2006, 00:50   #684
BHPian

The software wasnt running on the comp for some reason. Always kept giving an error after I installed. Anyway I managed to get the software from someone else.

Time for this thread to be closed. Mods, do the needful.

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 28th April 2006, 19:01   #685
BHPian

Best phone for abt15k

Hi guys........

Currently i own a Motorola E365 x2yrs and want to buy a new phone.My main requirements r best sound quality and good digital camera.No other major priority but wont mind if phone has good video camera,expandable memory [most phones have this],cool looks,fast menu and fast interface with pc.Budget is around 15k but can be stretched further by few k.I would love to buy a phone with PDA,e.g.SE768 but NOT AT THE COST OF SOUND QUALITY.I'm a SQ man.
now i have shortlisted
nokia N70,7710,6680,
SE750,800,810,900,768,
SamsungD600,and few other

SE750 seems to be best among all above but even 7710,samsungD600 and SE walkman 800/810/900 have received impressive feedback.But i feel SE is run-away winner when it comes to sound quality.Few phones in my list r over my budget but still can be considered if r worht that much budget.

I am also thinking abt buying 60GB i-pod with this amount from crutchfield which i can connect with my ICE but then i will need to buy separate digi camera which i dont have yet.

Or should i wait for few months for prices to fall of HD based phones?

Last edited by rsjaurr : 28th April 2006 at 19:04.
Old 28th April 2006, 19:44   #686
Senior - BHPian

first of all a phone camera cannot replace a digital camera even a 2mp camera will not give u quality similar to seperate digicam.

if style is a major factor for u u should check out the new razr v3
expandable memory nd 1.3 mp nd most importantly some reallll nice looks. i think its around 13-14 official
Old 29th April 2006, 00:56   #687
BHPian

best way out is log on to www.download.com and check the reviews of all handsets you shortlisted, its the best way to decide upon , am also planning to sell off my nokia 9500 and finalised N70, reviews are really gud...
Gud Nt
W.A
Old 29th April 2006, 01:51   #688
BHPian

dude if only sound quality is what u need, go for motorola ROKR.
But the problem is of a 100 song limit

Of the sony phones the 810 is outta reach. But u can go for the w800.
Or u cud take the k750i for 13k, put some more money in it and fit a 1-2gb memory card + an adaptor to fit normal headphones.
The sound quality is same in w800 and k750i and it is very good.

Nokia is also good but problems wud be
7710 is a pain to use
n70 and 6680 have a proprietery memory slot whose memory is hard to get buy.. which kinda render them useless for music use.

Samsung i dont have much idea.

I used a k750i for 2 months or so. n it rocks.

PS: sony has the best cameras, but dont expect anything in the video dept.
Old 29th April 2006, 02:55   #689
BHPian

dude, The K750i and the motorazr V3i are probably the best value for money. i think the W800i is around 20k, so thats a little more than a stretch. And yeah, a phone camera can never match up to a digicam especially in the dark coz of the flash..no phone has a brilliant one.
Old 29th April 2006, 04:26   #690
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of availability in India

motorola ROKRE2/alcatel S853

the first one is a linux smartphone(not pda) with one of the best music quality in music phones.

The second one is a real non-smart multimedia phone which is real vfm. Its also got 2.1 built-in phone audio, wired remote control and radio. many irregularities exist though.

you would also wanna check out this music phones comparison

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...hones-en.shtml

http://gsmarena.com/alcatel_ot_s853-review-65.php

I would suggest you stay away from mobile cams right now. They cost more and are not really as good as a digicam. Mobile cams have only recently started evolving.

if u still want a good cam then look at benq-siemens s88 instead of SE w800i/k750i/d750i or samsung d600. benq-siemens makes better pics than both SE and Samsung (sharp 903 is the current leader though with 3.2mp cam with 2x optical, stereo speakers and one of the best displays.

http://gsmarena.com/benqsiemens_s88_...s-news-187.php

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/Benq.../S88/S88-1.htm

An Ipod doesnt make much sense now. I have a motorola E680i with a 2gig sd(also supports 4gig-tested) and it plays music as good as an ipod. A white motorola e680i can be easily mistaken as a touchscreen ipod with milky white coloured body and headphones.

also the hardrive based samsung i300/i300x have been out for some time with 3gb/4gb harddrives based on windows smartphone platforms with stereo speakers but maynot be in your budget.

http://gsmarena.com/samsung_i300-review-57.php

its available now.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 29th April 2006 at 04:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks