Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 16:46   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When you stop getting to IP addresses, try going to 192.168.1.1, and see if you can see login page of router.

I thought I wrote earlier that I can already do that - I have checked it several times. WiFi link to the router is working, the link between the router and the modem is working too (because I can still access internet via the router's ethernet ports).

Somehow within the router the ethernet and WiFi stop talking to each other.
Old 25th May 2011, 16:58   #182
Team-BHP Support

So basically, you have a router connected to a standard modem via an ethernet port.
Just for information. Who dials PPPoE, the DSL modem, or have you set the router to dial pppoe.

In 99% of cases, the DSL modem dials the pppoe, and the router is just a "bridge".

If you cannot access "www.google.com" but can access IP address, we will debug on the DNS route, of you cannot access both but can access 192.168.1.1 then we will see.

BTW, whats the DSL modem gateway
If your router is 192.168.1.1 I think the DSL modem will be 192.168.0.1 or similar.

So just see if you can access 192.168.0.1 from your laptop. I suspect if you cannot access IP addresses, you won't be able to access the DSL modem gateway too.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 17:07   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So basically, you have a router connected to a standard modem via an ethernet port.
Just for information. Who dials PPPoE, the DSL modem, or have you set the router to dial pppoe.
You got it. I have a beetel modem provided by Airtel, that does all the PPPoE etc. That gives an ethernet output - this I connect to my personal D-Link 512 wireless router (4 ethernet ports also available).

Quote:
In 99% of cases, the DSL modem dials the pppoe, and the router is just a "bridge".

If you cannot access "www.google.com" but can access IP address, we will debug on the DNS route, of you cannot access both but can access 192.168.1.1 then we will see.

BTW, whats the DSL modem gateway
If your router is 192.168.1.1 I think the DSL modem will be 192.168.0.1 or similar.

So just see if you can access 192.168.0.1 from your laptop. I suspect if you cannot access IP addresses, you won't be able to access the DSL modem gateway too.
Well, one of them is 0.1 the other is 1.1, I don't remember which on is which. What I do know is that the router is accessible even when this problem strikes.

I'll try to see tonight whether the modem is accessible as well - if it is then I guess the problem will be at the modem.

though th latter seems unlikely - as I said usually if I connect via router's ethernet the internet is still accessible.

you have written enough and I haven't tried solving the problem in months, so I don't think I'll be able to answer much more - let me try out a few things tonight and write back to you.

Thanks for everything so far.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:13   #184
Senior - BHPian

@Vina - All Dlink DI and DSL series products are known to overheat as they age. I have a similar problem with my 2 year old DSL 2640T ADSL Router. Looks like you are suffering from the same problem too.

In my case if an extended download is going on then the router overheats and the Wifi stops working. The ethernet ports work fine even at this stage. To correct this problem, I have to switch off the router for about 30 - 60 seconds and then switch it back on. This solves my problem most of the times. It happens to me almost a couple of times a day.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:55   #185
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Vikram here. This could be related to "malfunction" rather than a configuration issue.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:44   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
As I wrote earlier also, the router works (I'm writing via that one right now) but has its own quirks when two machines with XP and 7 try to connect at the same time. This is not a problem if one uses the ethernet cable (which is what I do if both computers must connect at the same time)
Can you try one thing, if uPnP is enabled in the router then disable it and restart the router and see if you are able to connect both the Laptops or more than 1 device. Just give it a try.
I'm assuming that you are using dynamic IP address assignment by the router.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:50   #187
Senior - BHPian

Noob question. How will disabling uPnP help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Can you try one thing, if uPnP is enabled in the router then disable it and restart the router and see if you are able to connect both the Laptops or more than 1 device. Just give it a try.
I'm assuming that you are using dynamic IP address assignment by the router.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:53   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You got it. I have a beetel modem provided by Airtel, that does all the PPPoE etc. That gives an ethernet output - this I connect to my personal D-Link 512 wireless router (4 ethernet ports also available). ...
Going out.... but:

We need to know the exact details of the modem and router setup.

What is the LAN address of the modem?

What is the WAN address of the router?

What is the LAN address of the router?

This is the quick and dirty way of connecting modem --> router --> wired and wireless PCs:

modem: LAN 192.168.1.1
Router: LAN 192.168.1.2

connect your modem to one of the Router LAN ports not to the router WAN port.

Gateway on all PCs: 192.168.1.1

*or* enable DHCP on modem; disable it on router.

Please make sure that your modem and router have different IP addresses; Please make sure that you have only one DHCP service running.

Your router is now working as a kind of a hub. it is quick and simple, and you can also easily access the admin pages of either device.

Much more tricky is connecting your modem to the WAN port of your router: it requires understanding that that piece of wire is a different network and requires the ports numbering accordingly.

I've done both; they both work. I'm using quick and dirty for past couple of years, with multiple devices, including a Logitech squeezebox that requires DHCP.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:01   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Noob question. How will disabling uPnP help?
I guessed someone will ask this question . Actually even I'm not sure. But I was having this similar issue but with PS3 and my Laptop. As soon as I connect the 2nd device (either PS3 or laptop) the first one will get disconnected or the 2nd one will never get connected (keep on being on acquiring IP address state). On some PS3 forum someone suggested to disable UPnP for a similar issue. I tried and everything is working fine now. But again, that's why I said to "try" doing that as I can't say if that's gonna work. My router is also a old Linksys router and I guess there is some problem with old UPnP stack firmware or something.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:07   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
@Vina - All Dlink DI and DSL series products are known to overheat as they age. I have a similar problem with my 2 year old DSL 2640T ADSL Router. Looks like you are suffering from the same problem too.

In my case if an extended download is going on then the router overheats and the Wifi stops working. The ethernet ports work fine even at this stage. To correct this problem, I have to switch off the router for about 30 - 60 seconds and then switch it back on. This solves my problem most of the times. It happens to me almost a couple of times a day.

Mine is not an overheat problem, nor an aging problem. With the old laptops (all XP) I don't see any problems even with several hours of continued usage - plus the router is sitting is very well ventilated place.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:20   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back (had to buy paint!)!

Sorry about rushed previous post. If your network is not already configured that way, could you try it please? If it is...
Old 25th May 2011, 22:16   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mine is not an overheat problem, nor an aging problem. With the old laptops (all XP) I don't see any problems even with several hours of continued usage - plus the router is sitting is very well ventilated place.
okay so you are saying that your WIFI is connected, you can talk to router, but you cannot access internet. And at the same time if you connect another device to your router via wireless, that device can connect to internet.
Old 25th May 2011, 22:22   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Try checking if your new laptop wifi adapter's channel is the same as that of the router.
Old 26th May 2011, 00:54   #194
BHPian

Is anybody using Lacie wireless space system , this supposed to be the best alternative to time capsule ,i was not able to find and any dealer but it is available in ebay for 7k .

More on that in the below link

Lacie Wireless Space Peripheral review - Trusted Reviews
Old 26th May 2011, 10:14   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess I am one of those 1% cases who do it the other way.

@vina - You could try this. Set the router present in Beetel DSL modem to bridging mode and configure your D-Link router for dialing PPPoE.

This way, you will have one variable less in the equation, and it would be easier to isolate the problem.

Remember to take a backup of your Beetel modem settings before you do this.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 26th May 2011 at 10:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks