Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 01:33   #3511
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

^^^Sorry dude, can't help with that. :( Not aware of prices of used stuff.
Old 5th July 2012, 14:32   #3512
BHPian

Great offer!!

Found this great offer running on Lenovo Notebooks...

------------------------------------
LENOVO CAMPUS DO SHIELD Offer!

- Offer Period - 7th July to 7th August 2012.
- Offer applicable on z580 / u310 / u410 Series.
- Online registration at www.lenovocampusoffer.com
- FREE upgrade to 3 year warranty worth Rs.5,000!!
- Offer exclusively for College Students with a valid College ID.
- Offer is completely paperless for the benefits of the end customer.
- No additional charges and is absolutely free of cost to the customer.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-campus-do-shield.jpg

Last edited by vikash49 : 5th July 2012 at 14:34.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:18   #3513
BHPian

i want to purchase laptop based on i5 config.
should have good amount of ram (4gb-6gb).

Any pointers to online deals or any stores/shops in pune?
Old 9th July 2012, 14:07   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
i want to purchase laptop based on i5 config.
should have good amount of ram (4gb-6gb).

Any pointers to online deals or any stores/shops in pune?
Well, I am looking for a similar deal too. Did some research on Flipkart, and found a good offer on Toshiba laptop(Toshiba Satellite C640-
X4014). Without OS its 28K i5 (2nd Gen) + 2 Gb ram. You can upgrade it by another 4 Gb for 1300 bucks.

The only problem is since it comes with low ram and without OS, a little more work needs to be done, which I am ok for.

Let me know if you find better deal than this :-)
Old 9th July 2012, 15:10   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Well, I am looking for a similar deal too. Did some research on Flipkart, and found a good offer on Toshiba laptop(Toshiba Satellite C640-
X4014). Without OS its 28K i5 (2nd Gen) + 2 Gb ram. You can upgrade it by another 4 Gb for 1300 bucks.

The only problem is since it comes with low ram and without OS, a little more work needs to be done, which I am ok for.

Let me know if you find better deal than this :-)
I need the laptop for software developement and so has to have good keyboard too.

I am going to visit few stores recommended by the office-admin. will post details here.

Last edited by chetans : 9th July 2012 at 15:10. Reason: grammer
Old 9th July 2012, 15:31   #3516
BHPian

I have an Dell Inspiron Laptop, but I am unable to to use the Wi-fi. Please suggest what would be the probable issue???
Old 9th July 2012, 23:17   #3517
BHPian

Compusoft Systems online store Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN Compusoft Systems online store
Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN Special Price: Rs56,499.00 (i7 version)

Compusoft Systems online store Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN - samsung - Laptops Compusoft Systems online store
Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN Special Price: Rs49,999.00 (i5 version)

Have never seen samsung being used for programming purposes.
any takers for samsung brand in laptop domain?
Old 10th July 2012, 03:09   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark
I have an Dell Inspiron Laptop, but I am unable to to use the Wi-fi. Please suggest what would be the probable issue???
What have u tried until now? Do u see the wifi icon in the sys tray? Lots of things u can check but just ensure it's switched on , device manager doesn't show errors with the card under network adapters. You can then also re install the network card drivers to start with. Somehow have seen that it resolves this issue more often than not for Dell laptops. If that doesnt work let us know.

Last edited by sammyboy : 10th July 2012 at 03:10.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:31   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
I need the laptop for software developement and so has to have good keyboard too.

I am going to visit few stores recommended by the office-admin. will post details here.
The Toshiba Satellite Laptop mentioned by Mailmishra has the 'chiclet' keyboard, which is considered the best in usage.
Do check it out in your forays in the market;extremely good value laptop-fabulous screen, lightweight & easy to carry,great battery life, great specs for the price.
I've been using it since Jan- got it from flipkart - great service, great price( for the first time ever, I found Nehru Place more expensive)-with nary an issue.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:34   #3520
BANNED

I am also a Toshiba fan. Other thing is that you will have to get all the drivers from their site (about 900MB!). Also, with an i5 make sure you have a 64-bit OS.
Old 12th July 2012, 02:40   #3521
Senior - BHPian

^^^Are you sure Toshiba is a good option when it comes to Laptops? A friend who used to sell and repair laptops said Toshiba laptops were amongst the poor quality ones. The Chinese origin shows right thru, he said. He suggested Asus to me instead. Though he did add that he is not aware of the latest ones as hes pulled out of repairing.

Do others here have any experience or comments about Toshiba and Asus laptops?
Old 13th July 2012, 17:25   #3522
Senior - BHPian

I have found the "Thinkpad" keyboards the best for both typing as well as durability.

In case you are going to do a lot of typing I would suggest installing and external "TVS Gold" USB key board, as well as an external mouse. The TVS keyboard is a class apart and if maintained well with last five years or more. I have been using one on my desktop and it just went for cleaning after four years of pretty hard use.

One advantage of external keyboard is that you can always change it at a reasonable cost, unlike the laptop one, which if possible will cost a bomb.
Old 16th July 2012, 08:02   #3523
BANNED

Totally agree, The Thinkpad Keyboards are actually legendary.
People at IBM(now lenovo) have always been working very hard towards the keyboard designs..and it shows the moment you start typing
Old 16th July 2012, 15:11   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have found the "Thinkpad" keyboards the best for both typing as well as durability.

In case you are going to do a lot of typing I would suggest installing and external "TVS Gold" USB key board, as well as an external mouse. The TVS keyboard is a class apart and if maintained well with last five years or more. I have been using one on my desktop and it just went for cleaning after four years of pretty hard use.

One advantage of external keyboard is that you can always change it at a reasonable cost, unlike the laptop one, which if possible will cost a bomb.
My current office lappy is lenovo R400 and i love the keyboard more than anything else. (the screen is piece of junk, slower for multi-tasking etc)
The similar series prices for india are over 55k :(
External keyboard is very option.
My bad that I never considered it.

As of now i am inclined towards samsung simply based on good hardware and screen (1600x900) with matte display.
(i need to see it in actual shape before placing order.)

People have found battery backup to last for 5-6hrs.
So its fitting my bill.
(I dont care for back-lit keys which is the missing feature on this)
I have been quoted 50.5 for i5 version by the authorised dealer in pune.

Any pointers to good shops would be very usefull.

Last edited by chetans : 16th July 2012 at 15:14. Reason: spelling check
Old 16th July 2012, 15:40   #3525
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Lenovo G570 purchased Oct 2011. One evening the LCD screen started acting funny. There seems to be a crack running through it (internally). The entire left half of the screen is ruined: it is now a combination of white opaqueness and some black with a couple of vertical bright coloured stripes running through.

The right half of the screen is fine- unfortunately dosn't do me much good since the Start button and other useful stuff is focused on the left bottom quadrant.

So anyway I called up Lenovo helpdesk- they were pretty responsive, assigned a local service dealer to me, who called me and assured me that I could get it replaced under warranty as long as there was no physical damage. I said fine, it was just sitting on my desk all day- no physical damage that I know of.

The guy comes and checks it and says, arre yeh toh physical damage hai! No warranty coverage. I say, why? THere are no cracks on the outside or any evidence that it has suffered a fall or a heavy object been placed on it etc. He says, otherwise the screen would not have cracked this way. That seems like cyclical reasoning to me but I say fine- now what?

So the guy shows his "enterprising" spirit: says he can order a part from Lenovo and do things officially but the warranty claim will fall through and I will end up paying around 12K. Or I let him quietly source the part locally (Lenovo-compatible, not original) and pay him some 7K. He claims he will even provide his own warranty.

Since I paid 23K for this lapop (on sale) to start with, am loathe to part with more than half of that just to change the screen! So what to do? Should I call his bluff and ask him to file warranty? Or should I join him in his subterfuge and save a fair bit of money?

Edit: The part seems to be easily available online (abroad) for some $65.

Last edited by noopster : 16th July 2012 at 15:43. Reason: Added linky

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks