Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 18:52   #1801
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

What kind of a system can one get with a budget of 15k? Presently I would be using the system in my room for music and in the future hook it up with a tv. I would prefer buying an amp and speakers, setting up everything according to my taste but with a such a low budget is it better to buy a 5.1 home theatre system?
Old 29th April 2013, 09:09   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Just upgraded my home theater to the following configuration, just a DLP 3D enabled projector is missing and very soon it will be added to the home theater setup (the upgrades have been highlighted in bold):

• LG 47LW5600 3D USB 1080p DLNA LED Smart TV 47" & LG wifi adapter and Passive 3D glasses [Skype, Netflix, Youtube .etc.)
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - DNLA, 3D, SD, Wireless Network enabled Bluray Player
  • Onkyo TX NR1008 9.2 Channel 945 Watt Receiver
  • Cable vision Optimum TV connection with HD DVR 1080p(Brand: Scientific Atlanta)
  • Netgear Push 2 TV PTV1000 WIDI adaptor
  • Polkaudio subwoofer RM705 100W
  • Polk Audio Monitor 60 AM6025-A 2-Way Floorstanding Speakers 200w 8ohms 90db sensitivity x 2
  • Polkaudio Monitor Series silver edition floor standing speakers (rear upto 1000W) x 2
  • Polkaudio CS1 center channel speaker
  • Rocketfish RF-WHTIB rear(sorround) speaker wireless kit (receiver & sender)
  • Polkaudio C15 sorround Speakers x 2
  • Miyama two conductor speaker cables
  • Monster standard S16-4R-CL Standard 16 Guage four conductor speaker cable (wireless receiver)
  • WireLogic Hi-Speed HDMI cable with ethernet x 3
  • Monster subwoofer cable
After a suggestion from a friend of mine, I got the front main(Polk Audio Monitor 60)and center speakers (Polk Audio CS1) returned and got the following front speakers.

Polk Audio RTi A9 front speakers - This speakers are extremely crisp and really taller(see the pic) ones and each speaker got three 7-inch bass drivers, two 5 1/4-inch midrange drivers and a 1-inch high frequency dome tweeter.
The Home Theater thread-securedownload.jpg
Now I got into confusion for center speaker, can someone help me choose one from the following.

1. VIENNA Acoustic Theatro center speaker
vs.
2. Polk Audio CSi A4 center speaker

Last edited by trammway : 29th April 2013 at 09:14.
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:34   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Here is the lowres pictures showing the new setup along with the recent addition to the setup a Monster Power HTS 3500 MkII Reference PowerCenter
  • LG 47LW5600 3D USB 1080p DLNA LED Smart TV 47" & LG wifi adapter and Passive 3D glasses [Skype, Netflix, Youtube .etc.)
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - DNLA, 3D, SD, Wireless Network enabled Bluray Player
  • Onkyo TX NR1008 9.2 Channel 945 Watt Receiver
  • Cable vision Optimum TV connection with HD DVR 1080p(Brand: Scientific Atlanta)
  • Netgear Push 2 TV PTV1000 WIDI adaptor
  • Polkaudio subwoofer RM705 100W
  • Polkaudio subwoofer PSW120 100W
  • Polk Audio RTi A9 front Floorstanding Speakers 500w 8ohms 90db sensitivity x 2
  • Polkaudio Monitor Series silver edition floor standing speakers (rear upto 1000W) x 2
  • Polk Audio CSi A4 center channel speaker
  • Rocketfish RF-WHTIB rear(sorround) speaker wireless kit (receiver & sender)
  • Polkaudio C15 sorround Speakers x 2
  • Miyama two conductor speaker cables
  • Monster standard S16-4R-CL Standard 16 Guage four conductor speaker cable (wireless receiver)
  • WireLogic Hi-Speed HDMI cable with ethernet x 3
  • Monster subwoofer cable
  • Monster Power HTS 3500 MkII Reference PowerCenter to suppress the surge and eliminate digital jitter due to power fluctuations

The center channel is not connected yet due to space constraints on the TV stand and using the tiny Sony satellite center channel.

Now the pictures

Setup was started with all unpacked, look at Adhava and the RTi A6 for size comparison, you can even use the grand father clock to bench mark the size of that tall boy.
The Home Theater thread-photo.jpg

Two surround speakers - one above the grand father and one behind the love seat
The Home Theater thread-photo0.jpg

The Home Theater thread-photo9.jpg

The rear surround speakers were placed one each side of the couch connected with RocketFish wireless receivers
The Home Theater thread-photo2.jpg

I have now two subwoofers, one is connected(fax machines landed on top of it) and other one is just arrived need to find place in the left side of my setup.
The Home Theater thread-photo4.jpg

The next two pictures of my Monster Powercenter aka kind of voltage stabilizer for home theater setup
The Home Theater thread-photo5.jpg

The Home Theater thread-photo8.jpg

Here is the neatly stacked system, I hope you noticed the tiny little netgear widi Push to TV adaptor on the left bottom side of the TV
The Home Theater thread-photo7.jpg

Bingo! my living room converted to home theater!!
The Home Theater thread-photo6.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 3rd May 2013 at 00:42.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:57   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Now I got into confusion for center speaker, can someone help me choose one from the following.

1. VIENNA Acoustic Theatro center speaker
vs.
2. Polk Audio CSi A4 center speaker
Nice system you have got there.

I dont know what you have kept on top of the Onkyo receiver, but please do remove it from there. The receiver needs to have sufficient breathing space. The vents should not be blocked for the heat to dissipate. If not soon the heat generated from the receiver will not find a way out and damage the internals causing permanent damage. Basically make sure there is sufficient ventilation around the receiver.

As far as the center goes, for HT purposes, people generally recommend the fronts and center to be from the same company and series for timber and tonality matching. I would recommend either the CSi A4 or the CSi A6 (since you have the top of the line RTi series fronts and a powerful receiver).
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:08   #1805
BHPian

What is that white thing on top of the receiver? If it were Noida / Gurgoan I would have guessed it to be an inverter but it is not.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:14   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
...I dont know what you have kept on top of the Onkyo receiver, ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
What is that white thing on top of the receiver? ...
The answer is below :

Quote:
  • Cable vision Optimum TV connection with HD DVR 1080p(Brand: Scientific Atlanta)....
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:15   #1807
Senior - BHPian

The right corner speaker will boom like crazy if the port is at the rear. Normally its recommended to have atleast a foot of clearance at the back and side of the speaker to avoid standing waves.
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:48   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the lowres pictures showing the new setup along with the recent addition to the setup a Monster Power HTS 3500 MkII Reference PowerCenter
Hi Trammway,

That's a nice setup that you have built there. Just one advice!
Please give your Onkyo receiver some breathing space and remove the equipment kept on top of it. Also, I would recommend keeping at least 5-10 cm of ventilation space on the sides (and top too), as the AVR can get overheated very quickly if there is not enough ventilation. If it overheats, it will go into self-protect mode and shutdown till it cools down, and after 3-4 such cycles, it may conk off completely.

If possible remove the speakers (probably from your music system?) from near the AVR unit, as the magnets in them can cause distortion and even long term damage to the equipment. These speakers (which are not too well shielded), should be kept at least 1.5-2 ft (bare minimum) away from the AVR, DVD etc.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd May 2013 at 16:53.
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:03   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your inputs regarding critical parts of the setup.

Quote:
Nice system you have got there.
The receiver needs to have sufficient breathing space. The vents should not be blocked for the heat to dissipate. If not soon the heat generated from the receiver will not find a way out and damage the internals causing permanent damage. Basically make sure there is sufficient ventilation around the receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Please give your Onkyo receiver some breathing space and remove the equipment kept on top of it. Also, I would recommend keeping at least 5-10 cm of ventilation space on the sides (and top too), as the AVR can get overheated very quickly if there is not enough ventilation. If it overheats, it will go into self-protect mode and shutdown till it cools down, and after 3-4 such cycles, it may conk off completely.
I heard this loud and clear, I will workout something shortly to fix this breathing space problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If possible remove the speakers (probably from your music system?) from near the AVR unit, as the magnets in them can cause distortion and even long term damage to the equipment. These speakers (which are not too well shielded), should be kept at least 1.5-2 ft (bare minimum) away from the AVR, DVD etc.
I'm sure you are referring to the sony speakers in both the sides of AVR. It was used with my previous setup with the Sony AVR and no more in use. I will remove them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
What is that white thing on top of the receiver? If it were Noida / Gurgoan I would have guessed it to be an inverter but it is not.
I guess Blue Thunder replied to this query, it is Cable vision Optimum TV connection with HD DVR 1080p(Brand: Scientific Atlanta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The right corner speaker will boom like crazy if the port is at the rear. Normally its recommended to have atleast a foot of clearance at the back and side of the speaker to avoid standing waves.
I really didn't see such a boom effect, if you notice even my sub woofers are in the right corner but it sounds normal or I haven't noticed. I will try to give more space while I reorg the setup with new TV stand.

Quote:
As far as the center goes, for HT purposes, people generally recommend the fronts and center to be from the same company and series for timber and tonality matching. I would recommend either the CSi A4 or the CSi A6 (since you have the top of the line RTi series fronts and a powerful receiver).
I got it, that's why I'm going with CSiA4. Thought A6 would have been even better but my living room is not big enough to host the bigger one. Do you know if any rule or algorithm choosing the right size for the room size?
Old 4th May 2013, 09:22   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
I got it, that's why I'm going with CSiA4. Thought A6 would have been even better but my living room is not big enough to host the bigger one. Do you know if any rule or algorithm choosing the right size for the room size?
I dont know of any rule or algorithm but I think the A4 would do fine in your place. True that your living room is not big enough to demand a A6, besides the difference I could see with the A4 and A6 is that A6 can go a little lower (55 vs 65 hz) but you are sufficiently covered in the bass department with your A9s and the 2 subs.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:29   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you are sufficiently covered in the bass department with your A9s and the 2 subs.
Thanks.

Actually the Polk Audio Monitor 7 silver series is still my favorite in bass department, you should hear it in real to believe. This 30 year old speakers still rock my floor. I think they are true flag ship products from Polk
Old 7th May 2013, 13:07   #1812
BHPian

I would strongly advise you to go for A6 over A4 (lol sounds like audi!) to maintain the overall tonality of the front soundstage. Don't forget that the center content is supposed to be driven only by the center speaker and those huge floorstanders have nothing to do in such case except maybe overwhelming the actual center channel sound in case of A4.

Center channel is the heart of the overall front stage content while watching a movie, and as a thumb rule its better to go for the biggest center speaker which you could manage. You would be missing on lot of center action if you go for a smaller center speaker in comparison to your other speakers. A4 would have been a good match if your front speakers were bookshelf.

May I also suggest upgrading your subwoofers. Your current subs wont dig deeper then 30 HZ. SVS PB-12 Plus would be an ideal choice in your current setup however you can consider other SVS products or other brands such as HSU, Outlaw etc. as well based on your preference. Those subs will definitely dig deeper then 20 HZ and would give you true low end extension. Your A9s are more then capable of handling the mid and upper bass frequencies!
Old 9th May 2013, 13:41   #1813
BHPian

Have had a Denon 1312 with Boston Acoustic: SoundWareXS -Jewel Cube speakers for over a year coupled to my 46 inch LCD. Though am not a pro and have kept it on the stock settings, its does work well and give an awesome experience...

Anyone has any suggestions for tampering with the settings of the receiver for a better experience?

The Home Theater thread-denonavr1312.jpg

The Home Theater thread-x065sdwx51bo_front.jpeg

Last edited by nix1976in : 9th May 2013 at 13:43.
Old 14th May 2013, 09:56   #1814
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning on getting a vintage/ older stereo amplifier,to be connected to a pair of KEF CRESTA Book shelves left unused.
I would like to know how good a 1988 release,ONKYO INTEGRA A-817 XD is?
Thanks.
Old 14th May 2013, 10:16   #1815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning on getting a vintage/ older stereo amplifier,to be connected to a pair of KEF CRESTA Book shelves left unused.
I would like to know how good a 1988 release,ONKYO INTEGRA A-817 XD is?
Thanks.
If you are planning for a real vintage, go for gears made in the 1970s. They are by far the best audio gears made like the silver face Pioneers, Technics, Sony etc.
I could not find the specs of the Onkyo you mentioned in my brief google search (I will surely search again) but in general Onkyo is a very reputed name in this field.
However, I would re-iterate about the superior quality of stuff made in the 70s. I have been using a humble Pioneer SX-434 with my Technics Turntable and I am in love with that set-up. The amp is not all that powerful to blow up the apartment but has a distinct clarity and warmth in the sound.

Regards,
Saket

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks