Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:54   #1126
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Can you please explain why it so? Is it because of the "first time, can I do it" fear the first time round?
yes, the first time fear is was i talking about.

Quote:
And how easy / difficult is it to et the phone bricked?
I have a SGS. It is pretty much impossible to brick it.

Quote:
Edit:- Would the phone check integrity of the file offered as update? Ie, if the file was corrupted during the download process?
No.
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:16   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
After much deliberation I have bought an LG P500 a.k.a Optimus One / Thunder.

Reason? I decided don't want to spend 20K+ on a new phone now. I want something with push mail, Facebook notifications and other basic features. Among the lower-end phones, it boiled down to Xperia X8, X10 Mini and Optimus One. X8 seems to have only 168MB RAM, and X10 Mini has a lower resolution (which makes me concerned about app compatibility).

Among these, the Optimus One seems to pack the best bang for buck - 320 X 480 resolution, 600Mhz processor, 512MB RAM, 3 megapixel camera, and most importantly FROYO off the shelf!

Price: 13K. First went to Univercell, he gave me some bull about the phone being highly in demand and I have to pay an advance and wait for a week blah blah blah. Next stop at Wavetel (now Sangeetha), the guy had the phone. Tried it, liked it, bought it!
P500 is a brilliant phone for the money.
Its by far, the best mobile from LG ever.
Old 24th December 2010, 09:15   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
App Name - WinAmp

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - The ultimate MP3 player, now on Android

How it performs (your rating) - Excellent !

Any alternative - PowerAmp, but the full version is paid.
PowerAmp is the best but sadly the full version is paid & the trial version expires in a few days.

In another thread, a bhpian recommended me 'MixZing' & it is actually better than winamp though winamp has a better widget...
Old 24th December 2010, 11:41   #1129
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy 551 is now available on Flipkart for the same price as LG Optimus One. Galaxy 551 is similar to Galaxy 3 except for the addition of a physical keyboard and Android 2.2 FroYo out of the box. Also worth mentioning is that HTC desire price has been reduced to 23,000 Rs and HTC desire HD is now priced at 27000 Rs
Old 24th December 2010, 11:45   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
After much deliberation I have bought an LG P500 a.k.a Optimus One / Thunder.

Reason? I decided don't want to spend 20K+ on a new phone now. I want something with push mail, Facebook notifications and other basic features. Among the lower-end phones, it boiled down to Xperia X8, X10 Mini and Optimus One. X8 seems to have only 168MB RAM, and X10 Mini has a lower resolution (which makes me concerned about app compatibility).

Among these, the Optimus One seems to pack the best bang for buck - 320 X 480 resolution, 600Mhz processor, 512MB RAM, 3 megapixel camera, and most importantly FROYO off the shelf!

Price: 13K. First went to Univercell, he gave me some bull about the phone being highly in demand and I have to pay an advance and wait for a week blah blah blah. Next stop at Wavetel (now Sangeetha), the guy had the phone. Tried it, liked it, bought it!

Specification wise it is much better phone than Galaxy 3, Xperia X8, X10 Mini. Nice choice, we should have a feedback from you for LG optimus P500
Old 24th December 2010, 12:49   #1131
Senior - BHPian

App name - Launcher Pro
Free/Charge - free ( Launcher pro plus is paid which gives you some cool widgets )
What it does - replaces the default launcher and application drawer on your phone. ( example : replaces the Touch Wiz in Samsung Galaxy S, basically changes the look of your android )

How it performs (your rating) - Excellent, love the way it works and the customization options. The 3d application drawer is awesome and runs very smooth on the Galaxy S. I have the Laucher Pro Plus and the transparent widgets for messaging , calander etc look really sleek.
Old 24th December 2010, 14:08   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
P500 is a brilliant phone for the money.
Its by far, the best mobile from LG ever.
Thanks kpzen. Seems to be pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Specification wise it is much better phone than Galaxy 3, Xperia X8, X10 Mini. Nice choice, we should have a feedback from you for LG optimus P500
Sure, I will keep updating this thread with my feedback. Coming from iPhone, I am actually pleasantly surprised. The first difference I see now is that in iPhone, if you are using Safari to browse a page and switch to a different app, and then come back to Safari, it starts loading the page fresh. In Android (at least this model), the page is done when I come back to the browser app. Guess thats why they call it "true multitasking".

So far the phone is good. From morning to 2PM, the charge has dropped by justs 15%. I had one long call and brief wifi usage. Angry Birds runs pretty smooth on it.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:09   #1133
Senior - BHPian

All: One general question. How to install apps on the Optimus One using my PC? It didnt come with any PC Suite or any other CD. Is there a way I can browse the Android Market using the PC, buy & download apps and then install them on the phone (similar to iTunes)?
Old 24th December 2010, 16:35   #1134
BANNED

Connect the phone to the PC using USB cable.

The phone would be detected as a USB drive. Copy the files to the phone. From the phone, open them.
Old 24th December 2010, 16:39   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
All: One general question. How to install apps on the Optimus One using my PC? It didnt come with any PC Suite or any other CD. Is there a way I can browse the Android Market using the PC, buy & download apps and then install them on the phone (similar to iTunes)?
I prefer doing it from the phone. No need to switch on the PC. My wife has been pleasantly suprised that my pc usage has slowed down but worried my mobile usage will increase

As Backseatdriver says, download on pc and when you connect your mobile through usb, just copy into it and install from mobile
Old 24th December 2010, 16:53   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Connect the phone to the PC using USB cable.

The phone would be detected as a USB drive. Copy the files to the phone. From the phone, open them.
Where (which site or application) do I buy the files for paid apps if I want to do it using PC (without pirating, of course)?
Old 24th December 2010, 17:33   #1137
BHPian

Re: Time for a new android.

Lets Help this guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Now that the Ginger bread is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace
Hello All!
I am having HTC P3400i (Old Gene) with me. (Well before the warranty expired, I have already flashed, and flashed the device like crazy!! from WM 6 to 6.1s to 6.5s, customized, OCed, UCed, and pretty much did everything I could do with it!)

Now, I am thinking of getting myself a new phone.
(same dilemma again! do I spend a bomb on just a phone! or do I save and just buy a simple one like I did 3 years ago, when I bought the Gene..)
Still, I was thinking of the 15KINR bracket and Android looks good here!

//
Now, another good thing is, I have got a friend who is incidentally there in US (and now being close to 25th Dec, and as I know there are huge discounts there at this time of the year), should I ask him for a good phone from there?

I have done some brushing up on the models we have in the high end (which anyone would love to have!), which I think could have nice discounts there.
  1. Iphone 4
  2. Samsung I9000 S
  3. Dell streak (Mini 5)
  4. (blank space here)
Can anyone help me here?

on the price, review, recommendation/DE-recommedation from the options here or any killer option to fill the blank space?

Also, especially about bringing it from US to here in India. (My friend will test it there though, no issue there, I will ask him to test as much possible)
//

OR

//
Do I be-happy myself with a sub 15K android phone in country itself (India)?
  1. LG Optimus GT540
  2. HTC Wildfire
  3. Sam Galaxy3
  4. (blank space here)
//

Help appreciated!

Care,

Ace.

P.S. <for those who want to read more, xda-developers is one awesome site, must visit!- I took all the gyaan (and courage to flash) -credits to developers at the site. But, extreme caution advised!>

P.S. Apology(Sorry for the extremely long post!)
Should I expect the prices of Sub-Froyo & Froyo devices to have a decent downslide, now that all manufacturers are bringing is the snaps & dragons with 1 GHz.

Guys, Am looking for a phone!
Optimus One looks good deal (and sensible spend too!!)

But then again, now I am smitten and tempted by the Desire HD !! (with 8 MP, and 1GHz and all!)

care,

Ace.

P.S. (Even the Desire (Old) seems a good buy at 23K!)

Last edited by driverace : 24th December 2010 at 17:37.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:55   #1138
BHPian

Re: Time for a new android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Guys, Am looking for a phone!
Optimus One looks good deal (and sensible spend too!!)

But then again, now I am smitten and tempted by the Desire HD !! (with 8 MP, and 1GHz and all!)
You can also get a <1GHz phone and overclock it.
I've got a Motorola Milestone and have overclocked it to 1.2 GHz.

Runs quite fast [Universal Androot, SetCPU & Milestone_Overlcock]

only prob is i'm still stuck on Eclair [2.1] and have 256 internal Memory.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:02   #1139
BHPian

Does any one know how to block ads?
Old 24th December 2010, 21:23   #1140
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy 551 I5510 Launched with a full qwerty slide-out keyboard
Is the optimus one still a better buy?

Most Viewed