Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 12:06   #2041
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
1) Yes, but I do not keep it on always. (There is a switch widget for that)
2) Yes, tried it by standing outside my house, while connected to home Wi-Fi.
I should have put my question the other way. Wanted to ask that whenever you use navigation, is the data connection on or you are connected to wi-fi. Try the navigation without being connected to wifi or mobile data and see if it works.
Probably only with GPS on, I have doubts that the navigation would work.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:40   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I should have put my question the other way. Wanted to ask that whenever you use navigation, is the data connection on or you are connected to wi-fi. Try the navigation without being connected to wifi or mobile data and see if it works.
Probably only with GPS on, I have doubts that the navigation would work.
Why it will not work ? . I have maps already cached and have used only GPS turned ON .It will work .
Old 25th February 2011, 12:58   #2043
Team-BHP Support

Androzic and Oruxmaps do not have automatic navigation.
So you cannot simply say. Take me from India gate to GK-II and it will plot a route for you.
However, you can manually create a route using POIs and waypoints, or load a tracklog and follow that tracklog.
For example, on my PC I can go to google maps go to directions, and create a route, then export it as kml and then convert to gpx and put it on SD card.
Then I can use any of these apps to simply open the tracklog and follow that track.

Programs like mapmyindia sygic or ndrive have inbuilt navigation computers. You give it start and destination, and it will plot a route for you.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:07   #2044
BHPian

I got the Motorola Milestone with 2.1 when it released in India, in April 2010. Funny thing is, I paid 31,000 at Croma (including 2 years extd. warranty). I wanted to sell my Milestone and buy the HTC desire HD and the shop guy offered me 9k for my milestone. I just had to walk out!

Sad thing is, 2.2 hasn't even been released for the milestone, which is really sad cause its a very nice android device even compared to today's standards. 2.2 is going to be released by march end hopefully and that should give my phone a fresh take on life

Also, I got an Archos 70 Tablet recently with a whopping 250GB of internal storage! The device came with 2.2.1 stock and works wonderfully for all media needs. Plus it surfs the net pretty well too. All queries are welcome.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:14   #2045
BANNED

The Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread for Google Nexus S and One is out. If you haven't got the update notification yet, you can install it manually. Just updated my friend's Nexus One to Android 2.3.3
For Nexus S: How To Download & Install Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread Update On Nexus S | how2i.com
For Nexus One: How To Install Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread Update On Nexus One | how2i.com
Old 25th February 2011, 13:15   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you cannot simply say. Take me from India gate to GK-II and it will plot a route for you.
However, you can manually create a route using POIs and waypoints, or load a tracklog and follow that tracklog.
For example, on my PC I can go to google maps go to directions, and create a route, then export it as kml and then convert to gpx and put it on SD card.
Then I can use any of these apps to simply open the tracklog and follow that track.
Instead of doing all that circus, Sygic mobile maps with MMI maps (1990 for India and 790 for NCR only) is a good alternative.

I am using NCR maps and Sygic apps which i purchased for 790 bucks, and navigation (with voice) works well. And yes, without any data connection.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:19   #2047
Team-BHP Support

DCEite, we were talking about "free apps" 1990 is not free.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:19   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Clevermax, I have HTC wildfire.
I Picked up Brut Mods for Gmaps from your post only.
But as I said, the compass app is fine, I don't know how for navigation the screen turns off. Not sure why, I have tried all the settings but there is no option for display in the navigation.
I searched online and somebody on Android forum talked about "keep screen" app for the solution. But not sure how will it be.
Meanwhile I have bought a Dual USB car charger and the Nokia car phone holder, will check out the navigation thing again today.
I haven't used Brut Maps but I do use "Keep Screen" to prevent screen display and locking from going off while using certain apps. It works pretty well rather flawlessly. If you are unable to find a way out of your problem, I recommend using "Keep Screen".
Old 25th February 2011, 13:39   #2049
BHPian

Quote:

Programs like mapmyindia sygic or ndrive have inbuilt navigation computers. You give it start and destination, and it will plot a route for you.
So you are saying that our custom created maps would be read by applications like Androzic & Oruxmaps and would help us in navigation without GPRS but with GPS switched on?
Is there a particular path in the SD card when we copy our custom created gpx files?

O.T: I had tried this i.e. creating custom .gpx files and copying the same onto my garmin for navigation but with limited success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Why it will not work ? . I have maps already cached and have used only GPS turned ON .It will work .
What application did you use to cache the maps for offline use.

Last edited by f1fan : 25th February 2011 at 13:43.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:11   #2050
Team-BHP Support

Yes f1fan, read up the documentation of those apps.
They have a maps directory where you keep the maps in the required format (mentioned in doc).
you can create subdirectories in the maps folder to segregate downloaded maps by region.

I am a hard core androzic user now.

So I will give you the steps
1. Install androzic
2. Install Mobile Atlas creator on PC
3. Download maps (google/ovi/satellite/osm or whatever you want) on your PC in Ozixplorer PNG format
You will see the file pairs like "mapxxx.png maxxx.map mapyyy.png mapyyy.map" in the atlas directory of Mobile Atlas Creator(MAC)
4. Download img2ozf utility from the "files" on google page for androzic and use it to convert the maps to ozfx2 format. In the output directory of the application, you will have pairs like
map1.map map1.ozfx2 map2.map map2.ozfx2 and so on
5. In your SD card in the folder androzic/maps you can create a folder called Mumbai and copy all these files to that directory

Start up Androzic with GPS on, and it will show your position on a map.
Now lets say you made a gpx waypoint using google earth.
If you say navigate to waypoint, it will simply draw a line as the crow flies to your waypoint. Actual route you have to plot on your own.
Alternatively, you can go to google maps online on your PC, create a route, download kml, convert to gpx and put it on your SDCARD/androzic/tracks folder.
Load this file, and it will show up as a colored line on your map. You can follow that line.

I will now narrate what happened yesterday
I had to go to Paharganj HDFC and I was using ndrive. It showed me a route through ashoka road, which is the fastest and direct route.
Unfortunately there was some rally and massive jams.
I shut down ndrive, loaded androzic, and since I had gpx location of the bank, It drew me a straight line as the crow flies.

After that I simply started looking at my downloaded google map, and on my own I plotted a route through park st/talkatora road.

Next days newspaper has gory details like people being stuck for 2-3 hours in the rally, however, we wasted 15 minutes thats all.

So if you have some knowledge of the city, your brain will always work better than any navigation map by PC.

this is true for west also.

For example, from San Jose if I want to head towards Sacramento, all navi apps show a major route which has a traffic light.
Using my own brain, I can travel 0.5kms in the opposite direction, catch the 680. and merge with computer route 15 miles northwards and carry on from there.
This saves a good 15-20 minutes and lesser jam risk since this freeway is not much used on weekends(except on very long weekends).

Since you live in Mumbai, I think you have some knowledge of the city, so if you are given a map with a dot on "your location" on the map, you can fairly easily figure out which roads to take and then proceed on your journey using your own knowledge.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:24   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DCEite, we were talking about "free apps" 1990 is not free.
I know. The reason why i am emphasising spending a small amount on a navigation software+offline maps is simple.

There is too much of a hassle to get these Free apps working with maps. Just yesterday, i was trying to install Androzic with Ozie maps. Used mobile atlas to create NCR map (the process itself consumed 4 hours on 512kbps net connectiont o download NCR google map with zoom level 17).
Then when i copied the PNG file to the SDcard, Androzic showed error that the file format is not supported. Went back to research on net and found that current Androzic does not support latest version Mobile atlas when it comes to Oziemaps, had to re-convert the file using OztoImg (something like that).

Finally after much struggle got the map and Androzic working. The challenge now was to make navigation work. Forget voice-navigation, it does not even support basic navigation. Add to my vows, it could not current location Via GPS.

Thats not all. A few days ago i tried installing Brut Maps. Faced many issues and finally gave up.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:38   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Since you live in Mumbai, I think you have some knowledge of the city, so if you are given a map with a dot on "your location" on the map, you can fairly easily figure out which roads to take and then proceed on your journey using your own knowledge.
Thanks Tanveer for the detailed write-up. Will try that out over the weekend.

My problem is not with Mumbai. As I have stayed here all my life, I know nearly all of the roads inside out.

My problem is generally when I travel outside i.e. If I need to go from Mumbai to say Pune and dont want to use the expressway but some other custom route, then these options are not directly available on my garmin.
For this requirement, I tried creating custom .gpx maps and copying the same on my garmin but they don't work properly.

Hence if the custom gpx works this way, i would be more than happy to use it when I travel out.

Purely : What do you use to convert kml to gpx? I have used kml2gpx and gpsbabel but for some reason, my garmin just doesn't read these custom maps?
Old 25th February 2011, 14:40   #2053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I know. The reason why i am emphasising spending a small amount on a navigation software+offline maps is simple.

There is too much of a hassle to get these Free apps working with maps. Just yesterday, i was trying to install Androzic with Ozie maps. Used mobile atlas to create NCR map (the process itself consumed 4 hours on 512kbps net connectiont o download NCR google map with zoom level 17).
Then when i copied the PNG file to the SDcard, Androzic showed error that the file format is not supported. Went back to research on net and found that current Androzic does not support latest version Mobile atlas when it comes to Oziemaps, had to re-convert the file using OztoImg (something like that).

Finally after much struggle got the map and Androzic working. The challenge now was to make navigation work. Forget voice-navigation, it does not even support basic navigation. Add to my vows, it could not current location Via GPS.

Thats not all. A few days ago i tried installing Brut Maps. Faced many issues and finally gave up.
Androzic clearly mentioned you need to convert map and png to ozfx2 format
That said Zoom level 17!
You don't more than 15 level zoom.

Regarding navigation, its a personal preference, I have used satguide as well as mapmyindia, and they always plot through major roads, and usually such roads are jam clogged, I can always think of a better smaller road alternate route in Delhi.

So only time I use NDRIVE is when I am not aware of the area at all. Thankfully, ndrive on LG Optimus is free!
Old 25th February 2011, 14:40   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Used mobile atlas to create NCR map (the process itself consumed 4 hours on 512kbps net connectiont o download NCR google map with zoom level 17).

@DECite: Agree that these apps are not very easy to install and get working but you could have done things a little differently to save a lot of time before you found out that the file format is not supported - you could have actually tried downloading a very small sample area and load it into the app to test whether it would work or not.

Brut maps was a simple tap and install for me. After that I browsed the etire city in it using Wi-Fi to get it cached. That process didn't take one hour.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:43   #2055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Thanks Tanveer for the detailed write-up. Will try that out over the weekend.

My problem is not with Mumbai. As I have stayed here all my life, I know nearly all of the roads inside out.

My problem is generally when I travel outside i.e. If I need to go from Mumbai to say Pune and dont want to use the expressway but some other custom route, then these options are not directly available on my garmin.
For this requirement, I tried creating custom .gpx maps and copying the same on my garmin but they don't work properly.

Hence if the custom gpx works this way, i would be more than happy to use it when I travel out.

Purely : What do you use to convert kml to gpx? I have used kml2gpx and gpsbabel but for some reason, my garmin just doesn't read these custom maps?
GPSbabel is the best software. Its open source and available for Linux and windows(and probably for mac too).
If you install androzic all you will need to do is copy gpx to your SD card androzic/tracks folder, and then simply load the GPX. Chose a color like blue, and it will be a blue line on your map. You can follow that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@DECite: Agree that these apps are not very easy to install and get working but you could have done things a little differently to save a lot of time before you found out that the file format is not supported - you could have actually tried downloading a very small sample area and load it into the app to test whether it would work or not.

Brut maps was a simple tap and install for me. After that I browsed the etire city in it using Wi-Fi to get it cached. That process didn't take one hour.
clevermax, does brut maps do routing? Or its like all these other apps which show your location on a map?
If it does routing, can you route without connecting to the Data network?

Most Viewed