re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

the price listed at flipkart is Rs.19499
Old 26th February 2011, 00:51   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Hello,

A cousin of mine is returning to India from the UK shortly. And am very keen on calling for an Orange Sanfrancisco which is available pay as you go on the Orange UK website for 99 GBP.

I have a few questions:

1) Is this phone unlocked? If not then how does one unlock it before bringing it down to India?

2) I heard that the phone apart from comes in two display modes - AMOLED and TFT. I want the TFT - now how to differentiate between the AMOLEd and TFT?

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers!

Tanveer

The AMOLED versions are no more in production,if you're buying a new one you'll surely get TFT.Best VFM android till date

And the phone isnt unlocked,all you need to unlock it is input a free unlock code that you'll get from a google search .you can unlock it in india as well

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 26th February 2011 at 00:54.
Old 26th February 2011, 00:51   #2073
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 is now available for Pre-Order from Flipkart in India. This Samsung Galaxy S variant packs in 4 inch Super Clear LCD display in place of Super AMOLED, as well as a bigger battery of 1650 mAh.

Running on Android 2.2, Galaxy SL is the best smartphone one can buy in INR 19,500 right now. It also has a 1 Ghz TI OMAP 3630 processor, in the place of Hummingbird, but rest of the specifications are same as the original Galaxy S.

Samsung Galaxy SL Features:

- 4 inch Super Clear LCD with Gorilla Glass

- Android 2.2

- 1650 mAh battery

- 5 MP camera with front VGA cam

- FM Radio

- 4GB Internal Storage

- A-GPS
Old 26th February 2011, 02:29   #2074
BHPian

Anyone knows the max dB X10i can record.
I am using a app know as Tricorder and its amazing but it uses 0 dB as the max of the mic and displays sound in the negative factor, so wanted to know.
Also -10 dB is = 1/10th, -20 dB is = 1/100th and so on. So want to know what the max is so I can calculate or is there a more reliable app for dB testing?
Old 26th February 2011, 12:02   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
the price listed at flipkart is Rs.19499
I don't get the pricing shown on Flipkart. It says Rs 19499 (22% off) - how the hell can that price be 22 % cheaper when Samsung is pricing the phone at Rs 19499 ??

Old 26th February 2011, 12:07   #2076
BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
I am looking for an office suite editor (word, excel, ppt), can anybody recommend anything free or paid app?
App Name: QuickOffice
Free/Charge: Paid
What It Does
: Word & Excel. NOt sure about PPT
How it performs(rating): No Idea not used
Old 26th February 2011, 13:27   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Black, which maps are you using, do let us know .

This is complex for me . Brut maps was easy click, download and install and then cache the maps to sd card by scrolling through maps at different zoom levels.

Yes, MMI sygic is a good alternative but then we want it free, hehe!!!

Thanks Sheetumanu, I observed yesterday that the screen display is on when the navigation is working. Only issue might be that the navigation probably needs a data connection to get going.

I don't why you couldn't get it done. I directly opened the link for brut maps download on phone while being connected to wi-fi and after downloading , it installed itself. No issues with that.

I did the same, followed Clever's post about the same earlier in this thread.

Yes, brut maps does routing but IMO you will need the data connection to get started atleast for the routing(start to destination).
I tried again without data connection, it worked till entering the start and destination point, then it connected to GPS but then it kept showing "getting driving direction" and never went ahead of this.
Tried with basic GPRS too, but again the same thing.
Probably a data subscription pack is needed.

Waiting for your observation Clevermax.
Brut requires data connection for routing, once its done, it may not be an issue as long as the map tiles are in the cache.

MMI is available for 1999 for one year only, there's no updates after that. If you need a updated version you need to pay 1999 every year. I think if you've any plans to get a MMI then go for MMI Car Navigation system starts from 6999/ with free updates. This has got a very sensitive GPS chip and its far better than the phone GPS.
Old 26th February 2011, 18:36   #2078
BANNED

Re: Android applications

skartik - have a look at androffice.com - got from google search; have not used it.
Old 27th February 2011, 01:08   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Brut requires data connection for routing, once its done, it may not be an issue as long as the map tiles are in the cache.
Thanks for confirming sajjt. So, I was not wrong in my observation. Waiting for others to confirm too.
Old 27th February 2011, 05:01   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Anyone knows the max dB X10i can record.
I am using a app know as Tricorder and its amazing but it uses 0 dB as the max of the mic and displays sound in the negative factor, so wanted to know.
Also -10 dB is = 1/10th, -20 dB is = 1/100th and so on. So want to know what the max is so I can calculate or is there a more reliable app for dB testing?
Can anyone please help me out here?
Old 27th February 2011, 09:01   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Thanks for confirming sajjt. So, I was not wrong in my observation. Waiting for others to confirm too.
Yes, brut requires data connection only while routing and of course rerouting. Tested this yesterday.
Old 27th February 2011, 13:14   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

MMI is available for 1999 for one year only, there's no updates after that. If you need a updated version you need to pay 1999 every year. I think if you've any plans to get a MMI then go for MMI Car Navigation system starts from 6999/ with free updates. This has got a very sensitive GPS chip and its far better than the phone GPS.
I am using Sygic MM with MMI maps. I purchased the NCR maps only (total price=Rs.790) as my requirement was only NCR.

I must say that so far i am more than satisfied (except for the initial hiccups in getting GPS lock due to a common i5801 GPS problem, the solution for which i found). It has voice-navigation, street level maps, a huge database of POIs and what not. All this without any data connection.

Much convenient and effective to spend 790 bucks than running from pillar to post downloading custom maps and then using Mods/free apps to get even basic navigation going.

Ofcourse the only drawback is of map updates not available.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:20   #2083
BHPian

HTC Desire

Here is something google-news threw up:

HTC Desire Beats iPhone as UK's Top Smartphone

HTC Desire Beats iPhone as UK's Top Smartphone - PCWorld
Old 28th February 2011, 01:04   #2084
BHPian

@all

Tried doing the Froyo 2.2 update on my Galaxy 3 I5801 from the link given by tsk1979
well followed the procedure to the Dot.

At the end of it my G3 is dead and it has changed its model no. to I5800 instead of I5801. Its not going beyond the I5800 startup screen.

Its under warranty will samsung be able to help?
i dont want 11.5k waste on my plate.
Old 28th February 2011, 04:30   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@all

Tried doing the Froyo 2.2 update on my Galaxy 3 I5801 from the link given by tsk1979
well followed the procedure to the Dot.

At the end of it my G3 is dead and it has changed its model no. to I5800 instead of I5801. Its not going beyond the I5800 startup screen.

Its under warranty will samsung be able to help?
i dont want 11.5k waste on my plate.
You have to work your way around support forums etc.
Samsung is not going to recognize the warranty on that phone any more. One of my friends bricked his iphone in the same fashion (i.e tried to jailbreak), and apple did not recognize his warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks