Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 01:13   #4081
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My reply in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
  1. ROM---is this 'read-only-memory'? Yup & its the nomenclature for the OS of an android phone
  2. Flashing the phone---what the heck is this? Installing the new OS or ROM like "flashing CM7"
  3. I've seen several unix commands listed in the xda guide--but where does one type them--on the laptop or on the phone device? You should not require them for CM7. This is just for info that most android commands are either done in adb-on-PC or terminal-emulator-on-phone
  4. Rebooting---does this involve switching the phone off and on again? reboot, restart, power-off-power-on, etc etc

Further, what are the main benefits of going to CM7?

Newer up-to-date OS version, no bloatware from device-manufacturer or network-carrier, more regular updates, OS-as-google-wanted-it-to-be, performance tweaks, better utilization of resources in some cases (battery etc.) options for advanced-user-controls and much more

Thanks in advance.
You are welcome
Old 20th June 2011, 07:14   #4082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
WHOA - very shady.

The reason for this price drop is that the Nexus S now comes with an LCD screen, not the original AMOLED!

Atleast the Galaxy S changed its name a little when they ran short of AMOLED panels and started using LCDs, the Nexus S however still goes by exactly the same name - so watchout!

cya
R
Well,
In India it always came with the S-LCD instead of the aMOLED screen. Samsung didnt launch the AMOLED version in India.

The reason for this massive price cut could be that the next Nexus is coming soon! It makes way for that (just like the massive price cut in Galaxy S price made way for Galaxy S2). Purely my opinion.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 09:27   #4083
BHPian

Which is the top of the line HTC today?
Old 20th June 2011, 10:24   #4084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The Wildfire S . I just played with one today at Croma, def VFM.
Those who wants to consider HTC Widfire S, please note that that this phone has (serious) bug! If screen brightness is set to least, when phone goes to stand by, waking up won't work. Basically screen is active and won't show any thing! Its as good as dead. Every time this happens one must remove battery and restart the phone!

One can keep power widget in home screen and use brightness control, however if you set up pattern lock, good lick with trying to enter pattern!

This is biggest issue with wify's phone, we need to keep it always low brightness + 1 mode, which eventually eats battery!
Old 20th June 2011, 10:36   #4085
BHPian

As an owner of an N1, I have always enjoyed the preferential treatment I received in terms of ROM releases from third parties (Cyanogen, etc) and Google (We always receive the first OTA updates if on stock). I have always been on CM ever since the first release and have been trying out various CM Variations.
Recently I have moved to MIUI and what a move it has been. My battery life has easily gone up 3 times, the UI is ultra cool and the phone has been extremely smooth.
I can say that this is easily the best ROM I have flashed so far (That is saying something considering I flash a new ROM every week). This ROM is something that will be staying on my phone for sometime.
I suggest you try it once MIUI, Redefining Android – MIUI Android Developers

In addition to the ROM, I also installed DarkTremor's a2sd script and partitioned my SD card as recommended and now I have a huge internal memory and also the speed is really well optimized. Another thing to try out.

Remember to backup your current ROM before you go about experimenting. It is very safe but you never know when Murphy's law kicks in.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:18   #4086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
In India it always came with the S-LCD instead of the aMOLED screen. Samsung didnt launch the AMOLED version in India.
Thanks - i didn't know that!

The only Nexus S i've seen is one that my friend got from the USA.

The price cut is probably more a combination of other factors (mostly competition) rather than the fact that the next Nexus is on its way (my guess is that its still atleast a few months from launch).

cya
R
Old 20th June 2011, 13:30   #4087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WHOA - very shady.

The reason for this price drop is that the Nexus S now comes with an LCD screen, not the original AMOLED!
Google Nexus S was always with SLCD and not AMOLED , The only difference in Galaxy S and Nexus S hardware were screen and NFC chip.

Quote:
Atleast the Galaxy S changed its name a little when they ran short of AMOLED panels and started using LCDs, the Nexus S however still goes by exactly the same name - so watchout!

cya
R
Galaxy -S in India is still AMOLED and the model name is Galaxy-SL with LCD.
Old 20th June 2011, 13:54   #4088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Those who wants to consider HTC Widfire S, please note that that this phone has (serious) bug! If screen brightness is set to least, when phone goes to stand by, waking up won't work. Basically screen is active and won't show any thing! Its as good as dead. Every time this happens one must remove battery and restart the phone!

One can keep power widget in home screen and use brightness control, however if you set up pattern lock, good lick with trying to enter pattern!

This is biggest issue with wify's phone, we need to keep it always low brightness + 1 mode, which eventually eats battery!
This is the "Power Saver" feature that is on HTC. Try disabling this and it should just work fine.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:17   #4089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Which is the top of the line HTC today?
That would be the Sensation! I ordered mine last week, should be getting it anytime!
Although, the Evo 3D is coming soon and is expected to compete with it.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:37   #4090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

You DONT need to do ANY unix command directly.
[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers
Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding

If in doubt, PM
Thanks. But one of the links you have given has a horror story of things going wrong. I guess I'll hold off till Motorola India releases Froyo for the Defy. I will settle with rooting the phone for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
My reply in bold.

You are welcome
Thanks a ton! Currently my battery lasts around 28 hours with limited calls, browsing and music. I guess that is not bad.

By the way, when you say most commands are done on adb, I wanted to know what adb is. Does it need to be installed on the phone?

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th June 2011 at 14:40.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:42   #4091
BHPian

Quote:
You need to invest in theft aware.

I just tried reflashing my ROM (CM7, not froyo), wiped cache/dalvik (not data). inserted new SIM and immediately SMSes popped up saying cost of SMS etc. My wife's SIM just got the SMS as well.

So overall looks like a nice purchase - I have no idea of whether it will last a complete reflash via ODIN or suchlike. But me likes what i see so far!

Best 200 bucks i've spent lately.

/ ofc, pucca protection needs a rooted phone etc
Even I've heard a lot of praise for Theft Away. If I buy another android, I'll give it a try.

I am contemplating to buy iphone 4 now (though heart is somehow still inclined to android)
Old 20th June 2011, 15:18   #4092
BHPian

Hello,
I have been using the Garmin Asus A10 with Android 2.1 here in India. The phone attracted due to the fact that we were getting Garmin Maps and Navigation. Now with Garmin and Asus parting ways, we users are stuck with Android 2.1. When Asus was contacted they specified Garmin does not support on Android 2.2 and higher. With Asus not helping, is there a possibility that I flash my ROM with after market OS like CM, leedroid etc.
Hardware Specs as below.
CPU: Qualcomm 7227 600MHz Memory: 512MB SDRAM+512MB SLC + 4G eMMC Flash
Detailed specs on Garmin Asus website A10 - Specifications ~ Garmin-Asus

Thanks Deepak
Old 20th June 2011, 15:30   #4093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks. But one of the links you have given has a horror story of things going wrong. I guess I'll hold off till Motorola India releases Froyo for the Defy. I will settle with rooting the phone for now.

Thanks a ton! Currently my battery lasts around 28 hours with limited calls, browsing and music. I guess that is not bad.

By the way, when you say most commands are done on adb, I wanted to know what adb is. Does it need to be installed on the phone?
The second link is my blog, for God's sakes!

It basically says that if you try to install a maruti ECU in a chevrolet, your car will not run. But don't worry, it runs fine when you follow instructions.

Arre, you don't need to install any adb (google what it is).

You just need to follow the instructions given on either the FAQ or my blogpage.

or head over to the other blr folks like khan_sultan who've done it happily!!
Old 20th June 2011, 16:07   #4094
Senior - BHPian

I came across these tablets on Ebay. Was contemplating buying a cheap tab just for fun, portability and GPS. What do you guys suggest?

1. NEW 7" ANDROID 2.3 TABLET FLASH 10.2 512M SAMSUNG PV210 | eBay
2. 10" GPS Google Android 2.2 512MB HDMI Tablet aPad 1GHz | eBay
3. 7" Google Android Tablet Netbook PC aPad MID MP3 MP4 | eBay

The expected usage is *purely* navigation, games (Angry Birds et al) and movies.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:31   #4095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
+1
Err, boss, I've been on Swype from Day 1. However, as I just mentioned, you cannot substitute the physical QWERTY experience. Typing is way faster and more accurate in the latter case.

That's exactly what I also meant. While driving, if there's an urgent call/one word SMS to be sent, Androids are a real pain. It most definitely requires both hands and both eyes. Plus the number of steps involved (i.e. swiping the screen to unlock, tapping the right button {and more often than not, a wrong icon gets pressed}, another tap to enter the reply/compose mode, swyping the message and finally another tap to send. Phew.
Agreed while driving having a tactile interface that i can feel my way around is MUCH better. I don't respond to my phone when i'm driving... leave it on silent. [but this is only post getting an Android... when i had my E62 i'd do it all, except for surfing and texting.] Thought i'd eventually get used to it to a degree where i could make do without a tactile interface, but it's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Agree. Swype is much much faster than real keyboard.
Yeah.. But only for typing messages and stuff... if you need to use it without looking at the screen it's a <censored lest i get banned >

Quote:
bacche ki jaan le le bhai. The point is that maybe i'm old fashioned but some things feel good when done a certain way! I like to operate the phone with both hands and I multitask like crazy. I can tell you that something as simple as redialing a number while driving (I drive with bluetooth all the time) is a task in the defy. on the E63, I could dial my family's contacts without looking at the screen. Show it done safely on any swype and i buy you a free mug of your favorite poison! Now because its unsafe - I typically pull over and then dial and continue.
It's not about being old fashioned brother, its about being comfortable.. I am much more comfortable with a tactile keyboard, but was desperate to get rid of my Motorola Milestone so I sacrificed a QWERTY keyboard for a super Amoled screen and all the goodies that come with the SGS2.

Hypothetically 6 - 8 months down the line when a good non motorola Dual Core phone with 1 GB of RAM is available with atleast a 4 inch screen and a QWERTY keyboard, i probably will switch. It has to have an unlocked bootloader though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks