Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 16:37   #11866
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Exactly same situation as mine a month back (BB user shifting to Android)......
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
At that price point, on a personal note i would suggest you get a Motorola Defy Plus. ....
Thanks for the reply guys. The defy plus sounds good. I couldn't find it at any store (croma, alfa) so I still have to see and feel it properly. If I like it then i'll get it. Till that time i'll check out some reviews on youtube.

I almost bought a Curve 9220 but then I thought it wouldn't be a real change, bcoz the 9220 would do the same things that my 8520 does (email, bbm, internet).

Cheers.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:39   #11867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. The defy plus sounds good. I couldn't find it at any store (croma, alfa) so I still have to see and feel it properly. If I like it then i'll get it. Till that time i'll check out some reviews on Youtube.

I almost bought a Curve 9220 but then I thought it wouldn't be a real change, bcoz the 9220 would do the same things that my 8520 does (email, bbm, internet).

Cheers.
I am not sure about the scene in BBY, but in Ahmedabad Defy+ is not available in almost any stores and most people i know who own one, including myself, got it online. Unless BBY guys can guide you where you may find it. Nishant may be able to help you here.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:53   #11868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Not an expert on this matter, but I have always noticed it to be as you described. Call and data download doesn't happen simultaneously. As soon as a call is connected, the E or G symbol disappears. It appears back once the call ends.

I think this is normal. Experienced this on multiple handsets, SE w550i, w580i, Nokia 6233, Ace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ This is possible on 3G & wifi, but not on edge networks. If you are on edge, the data is disabled when you are on a call - as observed in all the all handsets i've owned thus far..!
I still have the same data connection on my Vodaphone account and i used to use a Nokia C6-01 running Symbian Belle. On that i could easily be on call and surf at the same time.

I am loving the android experience and the Gnex as well but after being used to a few features like this, its like taking a step back and not being able to do what i used to. Slowly the happiness quotient is coming down for me atleast with these.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:56   #11869
Senior - BHPian

Follow these steps if you are feeling that your phone has become sluggish over time. This applies if you have a rooted, custom recovery installed phone.

Boot into recovery - select backup - advanced backup and perform a 'data' only backup.

After the back up finishes, go to restore - advanced restore - and restore the data.

Reboot.

You will now see noticeable improvement in performance and load time of different applications.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th October 2012 at 16:58.
Old 12th October 2012, 19:21   #11870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Follow these steps if you are feeling that your phone has become sluggish over time. This applies if you have a rooted, custom recovery installed phone.

Boot into recovery - select backup - advanced backup and perform a 'data' only backup.

After the back up finishes, go to restore - advanced restore - and restore the data.

Reboot.

You will now see noticeable improvement in performance and load time of different applications.
What is the reason for the improvement in performance?

Alternatively, one can also get into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot the mobile.

Once dalvik is built up then speed improves
Old 12th October 2012, 19:26   #11871
Senior - BHPian

How do you fix sluggish performance on stock ROMs ?

I've a nexus s with 4.1 and off late app load time has increased and the phone hangs too. RAM usage is on the higher side,in the range of 90-95%
Old 12th October 2012, 20:11   #11872
BHPian

Looks like the Micromax A100 is available online at the croma website. They have free shipping too. The croma store, though, said that it is out of stock.

http://www.cromaretail.com/Micromax-...-15026-95.aspx
Old 12th October 2012, 20:12   #11873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
How do you fix sluggish performance on stock ROMs ?

I've a nexus s with 4.1 and off late app load time has increased and the phone hangs too. RAM usage is on the higher side,in the range of 90-95%
The only way I am aware is to backup data, format, reboot phone and restore data on STOCK ROMs..

If you are rooted, try the v6 supercharger
Old 12th October 2012, 21:49   #11874
Senior - BHPian

so for what its worth, the chacha's screen is going for a toss again. my thumb hurts from multiple attempts to unlock it. Hence this piece of trash is going where its company stock has gone .. into the trash. Will try and dispose it off at a decent price and move to a blackberry sometime during next week.

These qwerty blackberries are NO good. Such a terrible step down from my defy its not funny.
Old 12th October 2012, 23:40   #11875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Sold off my 1.5 years old Ace and now, eagerly waiting for the arrival of my GNex!
Got it today. Bought off e-bay for 21k. After considering Ace's resale the Nex costed me a mere 15k!

Coming from the Ace, screen is the most obvious difference. Very crisp pics and videos.

Updated it to the factory image of JB using fastboot method.

A question to Nex users here - using any screen guard?
Old 13th October 2012, 00:03   #11876
BHPian

Folks,

Any recommendations for apps for Defy+ for (a) screenshots and (b) saving/taking backups of text messages ?

My phone is not rooted and I am not competent enough to go down the root & custom rom(?) alley. So will be content with whatever is possible in an non-rooted scenario.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 13th October 2012 at 00:04.
Old 13th October 2012, 00:16   #11877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Folks,

Any recommendations for apps for Defy+ for (a) screenshots and (b) saving/taking backups of text messages ?

My phone is not rooted and I am not competent enough to go down the root & custom rom(?) alley. So will be content with whatever is possible in an non-rooted scenario.
not sure about screen shots as my defy+ is rooted. but for sms back up i use "sms backup & restore" by Ritesh Sahu. very handy app & it also lets you schedule your back ups & delete / keep old back ups as per your requirements.

Regards,
Old 13th October 2012, 00:52   #11878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL
Folks,

You can sync sms and phone calls to google too.
Look for sms backup+ on the market.

Last edited by mayankk : 13th October 2012 at 00:55.
Old 13th October 2012, 02:21   #11879
Senior - BHPian

Micrmax A110, to be launched with 1 ghz dual core processor and 5 inch IPS screen. Saw this on Micromax's fb page.

Though the prices are not disclosed yet, If they price it somewhere near 12k. It will be bang for your buck.

I am too tempted for it :P

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 13th October 2012, 07:44   #11880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
Booked the S2 even though had initially limited my budget to 20K as its super value for money at 22K.
Got delivery of my S2 yesterday which is my first android. Looks amazing and UI is very smooth. It I9100 model.

Service of Homeshop18 was superb and got delivery in 6 days

What are the must have apps that I should download now as am new to android?

Also any tips on transferring data from Nokia E63 to S2?

Last edited by GearOn : 13th October 2012 at 07:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks