Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 09:13   #11926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi

While I bought the Defy+ purely to install JB on it, I found that custom GB ROM performs much better as an all-rounder: data, network, battery et al.
+1.

Though JB is advanced android version, there is still much to be done for daily troublefree usage. I will also suggest either wajkui for its UI & whiterabbit for its speed. Both are GB based roms.
I am still trying JB releases but have to live with some issues like poor network & wi-fi, no connectivity with playstore etc.. the download from playstore never starts.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:09   #11927
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I guess this will always be a point of debate here! S_U_N really likes the JB build on Defy!
It brings in a new life into your phone. In fact with the latest JB release, the MB525 gets listed as MB526. So, it is like upgrading to a new phone.

Quote:
While I bought the Defy+ purely to install JB on it, I found that custom GB ROM performs much better as an all-rounder: data, network, battery et al.

JB was good but not great on Defy+. I think I'm going to stick to WajkIUI.
There is a lag when you launch an app for the first time. After that, the switch over is very fast.

The only time, I face a freeze (temporary freeze only) is while playing Angry birds after about 10 minutes or so.

What I really like about JB is the:
1. Settings interface is nice.
2. The bandwidth metering/ data usage feature is inbuilt and accurate. I can set the usage cycle. This helps me use the data plan very judiciously. I don't like installing apps for every small thing.
3. Bluetooth tethering works flawlessly. I can use my 3G on my desktop. (Never tried it on CM 7.x though).
4. Lot of customization options all over, though the default is good enough for me at the moment.
5. Google Now. But that's good only to show off the Apple fanboys. I don't use it now a days.
6. If an app becomes unresponsive, it does not bring down the whole operating system. I get a message and an option to Wait or Kill. With CM 7.1, I had to reboot the phone.
7. Sygic works much better on JB than on CM 7.1 (though I have now upgraded to 12.1.2 and then 12.1.3, but the phone can handle the app very smoothly.) No issues if I multi task with some other app while Sygic is minimized.
It is like running on steroids. This may be due to the HWA.
8. No negative impact on battery life compared to CM 7.1.

Quote:

OT - is CM 7.2 for Defy+ based on GB or Froyo kernel?
I think Defy+ has the GB kernel and Defy has Froyo kernel for all CM builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
+1.
I am still trying JB releases but have to live with some issues like poor network & wi-fi, no connectivity with playstore etc.. the download from playstore never starts.
It is quite odd to read posts about network and wifi issues or in fact any of the other issues.
I tested my wifi for the first time over the weekend in Mumbai and it worked flawlessly for two days. I downloaded about 100 MB via Wifi and there was no issue.
Regarding the mobile network, I played around with Baseband settings and have settled with South East Asia -> 3.4.3-361.
There are zero network issues even while roaming and with 3G/2G enabled/ disabled as well. I tested this at various points in Bangalore and Pune.
By default, the base band is Central Europe, I think and 2G mode did not work for me with those settings.

In the last 45 days, my phone has rebooted itself just once (yesterday), while I tapped on Advanced under Settings.
This indicates that it is time to upgrade.

Last edited by S_U_N : 16th October 2012 at 10:11.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:58   #11928
BHPian

Atrix 2 friends, please help I noticed a weird thing today morning that my signal strength max out at -75dbm 19asu. I am on GB ROM. My other phones have 24-30 asu at the same places.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:28   #11929
Senior - BHPian

Asus padfone2 is unveiled. Damn good looking phone, finally a droid that can challenge the iphone in looks department

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_unviels...-news-4957.php

And its not all about looks only. Superb 4.7" 720p IPS+ screen, a quad core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 13 MP f/2.4 camera, NFC, 2140 mAH battery. Expected price around USD 620 for 32 GB model. Wow.

Now a question to Samsung! Why cant you make your phones this beautiful?
Old 16th October 2012, 13:40   #11930
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the Note speaker volume to be below average. There are many apps to enhance the speaker volume. Any harm in using this. Obviously, the recommended boost level to around 30-40% according to some apps. Anybody using this? If so, kindly recommend the best app.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:54   #11931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Atrix 2 friends, please help I noticed a weird thing today morning that my signal strength max out at -75dbm 19asu. I am on GB ROM. My other phones have 24-30 asu at the same places.
Yup, maxes out at -75dbm 19asu. Is this a bad thing ? I have never had any call quality issues though...
Old 16th October 2012, 13:57   #11932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Yup, maxes out at -75dbm 19asu. Is this a bad thing ? I have never had any call quality issues though...
Oops! I don't have call quality issues but trying to figure out the excessive battery drain on 3G which am facing. I guess you're on GB. Any idea, how's the situation on ICS? Between, I checked out my friend's unlocked AT&T Atrix 2 which maxes out only at 31asu
Old 16th October 2012, 14:07   #11933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Oops! I don't have call quality issues but trying to figure out the excessive battery drain on 3G which am facing. I guess you're on GB. Any idea, how's the situation on ICS? Between, I checked out my friend's unlocked AT&T Atrix 2 which maxes out only at 31asu
I am on ICS. Fully stock. What battery life are you getting ? I get about 14-15 hours with 3G on whole day with pretty decent usage - mostly whatsapp and a little browsing with the odd call.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 16th October 2012 at 14:10.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:13   #11934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I am on ICS. Fully stock. What battery life are you getting ? I get about 14-15 hours with 3G on whole day with pretty decent usage - mostly whatsapp and a little browsing with the odd call.
OK. I am on GB and the usage statistics are pretty much similar to yours. Anyway the unlocked Atrix 2 which I mentioned in the previous post is getting a decent 24-26 hours on 3G (full time data ON). We're having issues with exchange active sync for users on ICS. That's why am holding the upgrade to ICS. I am surprised why lot of people are not complaining about this signal issue. 19asu means 80-85% signal max
Old 16th October 2012, 14:31   #11935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But I'm on MIUI ROM so I'd need a stand alone app. Or are you saying this functionality is on built into DW Dialer?
Hey,

New MIUI under developing. Seems it should be available for download in a couple of days or may be Hrs

v2.10.xx (under developing)
- added Aroma Installer , thnx to amarullz
- added many options
- added Control Panel support
- added Swipe to Remove Notification support
- added three type Camera app
- added choiceable LauncherPRO
- optimized lockscreen animations
- updated APN settings
- less battery drops
- updated themes
- fixed DSP manager
- fixed USB icon
- updated Google Play to 3.9.16

Waiting for it to go Live.

Also guys, i too agree with Nishant here on GB for defy+. The others are good too, but the stability i got from MIUI is absolutely amazing. I have tested / used CM9 / CM10 for quite sometime before settling down with MIUI.

Regards,
Old 16th October 2012, 16:08   #11936
BHPian

Droidians

My friend is looking for an android phone. Max budget is 15K. What would be the best fit?
Old 16th October 2012, 16:19   #11937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

New MIUI under developing. Seems it should be available for download in a couple of days or may be Hrs

v2.10.xx (under developing)
- added Aroma Installer , thnx to amarullz
- added many options
- added Control Panel support
- added Swipe to Remove Notification support
- added three type Camera app
- added choiceable LauncherPRO
- optimized lockscreen animations
- updated APN settings
- less battery drops
- updated themes
- fixed DSP manager
- fixed USB icon
- updated Google Play to 3.9.16

Waiting for it to go Live.

Also guys, i too agree with Nishant here on GB for defy+. The others are good too, but the stability i got from MIUI is absolutely amazing. I have tested / used CM9 / CM10 for quite sometime before settling down with MIUI.

Regards,
Role reversal time buddy. This time you will be my guinea pig! I jumped the gun on 2.9.27 and promptly upgraded from 2.5.27. But apart from the DSP Manager FC issues, I suffered on the battery drain.

So only after you confirm that 2.10.xx is *really* better than 2.5.27, am I going to upgrade!

OT - Those looking to buy the GNex from US, here's a deal:
Daily Steals Offering Up Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB For Just $319.99

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 16th October 2012 at 16:21.
Old 16th October 2012, 16:38   #11938
BHPian

[NEWS] Cyanogenmod stopping with supporting Samsung devices!

Sad news for Samsung Users Here!

Every new phone from samsung that is comming out now will get no longer support from Cyanogenmod mostly the devices with a Exynos chip designed by samsung. get no more support!

Why is Cyanogenmod stopping with support for samsung devices?

The following reasons:

- FM-radio will never work
- Exynos Chip
- On jelly bean (Vsync and tripple buffering) will never work because the graphical drivers do not support this!

But there is some good news All samsung devices that are Out now will get support from Cyanogenmod!
only the devices that are coming out now will get no Cyanogenmod!

SOURCE: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/84925/mak...n-stoppen.html

(The source is a Dutch site so you musta translate it to English!)

For more info and discussions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=32838951

Last edited by sajjt : 16th October 2012 at 16:43.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:17   #11939
Senior - BHPian

Simple question: Is Galaxy Nexus available in India with Manufacturer warranty at all? I asked my brother to check out the prices in a store in Blr and he says they are selling it for 24.9K with only a month's warranty! What does that mean?

Then, what is the difference between this phone at 24.9K in a shop and the same phone available in grey market at 22K?
Old 16th October 2012, 18:59   #11940
BHPian

NOOB QUESTION:

I wanna use my Defy + for Navigation/Maps.
Could someone please gimme a step by step lesson as to how to get about it. Please don't me up, I admit I'm lagging 2-3 years behind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks