Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 10:14   #12661
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I have absolutely no idea how to do that. Also, my phone is not rooted, does that matter?
You can wipe Dalvik cache from recovery. Turn off phone --> Enter recovery mode --> Wipe --> Reboot.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:38   #12662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
You can wipe Dalvik cache from recovery. Turn off phone --> Enter recovery mode --> Wipe --> Reboot.
How is it possible on a non-rooted phone? Stock firmware will have only 3e recovery which will be having only the following options, reboot, update zip from SD card, wipe data , wipte cache and format internal SDC.

Recovery options with advanced wipe options are part of a 3rd party kernel AFAIK.

@Hells_fury, Try wipe cache from the 3e recovery and the problem still persists, do a full wipe from the 3e recovery which is the last thing you can fiddle with a stock ROM other than trying a custom ROM/ 3rd party kernel after rooting.

Last edited by sajjt : 20th November 2012 at 10:39.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:39   #12663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Is there a version of Nexus7 which has a SIM Slot as well.

I have a friend coming in from the US and thinking of getting a 16GB Nexus7. He was advising the Nexus10 but i need it basically just to surf the net and play basic games at home, basically a laptop replacement to surf, hence thinking of the Nexus7.

Can people advise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Yes there is a version of the Nexus 7 that has a sim card slot. But I believe its currently sold out in the US.

Yes, The model name is Nexus 7 with Mobile Data. 32GB costs $299. I am getting mine in Dec
Old 20th November 2012, 10:40   #12664
BHPian

Got myself MMX A90S. Awesome phone and loving the Android experience. First time user. I had finalized Canvas 2 A110 but then backed off looking at the huge display.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:48   #12665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
How is it possible on a non-rooted phone? Stock firmware will have only 3e recovery which will be having only the following options, reboot, update zip from SD card, wipe data , wipte cache and format internal SDC.

Recovery options with advanced wipe options are part of a 3rd party kernel AFAIK.

@Hells_fury, Try wipe cache from the 3e recovery and the problem still persists, do a full wipe from the 3e recovery which is the last thing you can fiddle with a stock ROM other than trying a custom ROM/ 3rd party kernel after rooting.
I'm sorry. The only way to clear dalvik cache on phone that isn't rooted is by doing a factory reset.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:02   #12666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Thanks for the info...I already did a factory reset and so far things are fine (phone rebooted once, but have not seen it doing that again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I'm sorry. The only way to clear dalvik cache on phone that isn't rooted is by doing a factory reset.
I had already done a factory reset.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:37   #12667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks!

http://www.tradus.com/motorola-defy-...Q?utm=ibiboads this one is an imported model, check out the pink! I'm not really sure about this one.

http://www.shopclues.com/motorola-defy-plus-en-2.html this on the other hand looks alright. But again, not very certain about the website. Flipkart really gives me peace of mind.
Junglee.com can be trusted. Try them.
Old 20th November 2012, 17:49   #12668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Friends, I'm facing an issue with my S2 i9100 since the past few days. I am running 4.0.4 NeatRom (Full) with Siyah 4.1.5. All was well till a few days ago when suddenly the phone screen comes On erratically and then goes off. My phone is not sleeping well anymore, and this is causing the battery to drain faster. I have Vodafone 3G enabled but switch it on only when needed, not all the time.

I cant figure out what is causing the wake-ups. I have installed Zoner AV and its scans initially gave me some suspicious apps which I un-installed. Now the scans find nothing. I also tried AirPush Detector (from play store) but that is also not detecting any apps that are causing any Advertisement Pop-ups.

What could be causin this? How can i find out? I have Better-Battery stats but not sure how to use it, even xda thread is confusing?

Any suggestions?
Bump!! Please help me guys...

I have tried Clearing Cache/Dalvik Cache and Fix Permissions also, but still no resolution.
Old 20th November 2012, 17:55   #12669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Bump!! Please help me guys...

I have tried Clearing Cache/Dalvik Cache and Fix Permissions also, but still no resolution.
I would recommend installing betterbatterystats and cpuspy. In better battery stats you can identify the application which is causing your phone to stay awake.

Disable all the location services and see. I had a similar problem on one of the roms I used on Galaxy Ace. Disabling location service solved it for me.

You could also search in the ROM's thread to check if others are also reporting this deep sleep issue and if there is a fix yet.
Old 20th November 2012, 19:18   #12670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I would recommend installing betterbatterystats and cpuspy. In better battery stats you can identify the application which is causing your phone to stay awake.

Disable all the location services and see. I had a similar problem on one of the roms I used on Galaxy Ace. Disabling location service solved it for me.

You could also search in the ROM's thread to check if others are also reporting this deep sleep issue and if there is a fix yet.
Thanks for replying.

I have installed Betterbatterystats already but cant figure out how to use it properly. Any pointers? Will try cpuspy to see if its any easier to use.

All the location services are already disabled, I only enable them when using GPS or such apps.

ROM's thread has no update for this and I didn't get any replies the users either :(

Waiting now for JB build, as the test build is out, I'm hoping the GA will follow soon.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:35   #12671
Senior - BHPian

Android 4.1.1 jelly bean - Anybody having problems configuring Exchange email in the default mail client?

I am unable to even locate the app icon. It is present in /system/app but there's no application icon in the app drawer. I was able to trigger the app by defining a custom activity but after configuring exchange email it just says - "Your e-mail will appear shortly"

It works flawlessly in my N7 with 4.2 though. :(

Guys having Android 4.1.2, could you please send me your email apk and exchnage service apk from your system/app?

Last edited by clevermax : 20th November 2012 at 20:37.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:42   #12672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In about 6 months, my Defy will complete 2 years. That is like 10 in mobile years. I am yet find a worthy successor, with similar, let alone better specs for that size and price.

In fact, I find the iPhone4 size the best. I really like the iPhone4 hardware, but do not like highly restrictive iOS/iTunes. Which android phone comes close to iPhone4 in hardware specs and size?
Also look at ecosystem. Sony and Samsung are looking to integrate their mobiles with their other devices. Samsung galaxy S3 connects to samsung smart TV/home theater from I could see in their promos. Sony is bringing bravia engine to mobiles.
Old 20th November 2012, 21:51   #12673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k

Also look at ecosystem. Sony and Samsung are looking to integrate their mobiles with their other devices. Samsung galaxy S3 connects to samsung smart TV/home theater from I could see in their promos. Sony is bringing bravia engine to mobiles.
Correct! Its becoming common these days. Buying a phone just got more difficult since one has to not only look for specs, price and features but also whether the app can seamlessly integrate with TVs, other devices in the house and so on.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:22   #12674
Senior - BHPian

Team,
Here it is JB 4.2 finally available for YAKJU GNex.

Edit: Installation failed and it is no longer showing the update. Phone is still on 4.1.2

Hhm
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-forumrunner_20121121_082224.png  

Last edited by F150 : 21st November 2012 at 08:38.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:31   #12675
BHPian

Hi,

One of my phone connection is with Tata Indicom (Docomo) CDMA.
I have a question - would I be able to get the MEID & ESN registered with Tata Docomo if I get a used CDMA phone from the US.

Are there mobile stores/experts who can get MEID & ESN registered with Tata CDMA.
If this can be done - will the phone be enabled with Both Voice and EVDA (data).

Is there any particular model/s US CDMA phone thats easy to be registered in India with TATA CDMA. If so, what models should I look to get from the US.

Also suggest a shop/expert to go to - to get this done. (wouldnt want to go to a mobile repair guy to hear the usual "Ho Jayega Sahab ... kal aajao" ... and we think ... does he really know how to do it ...)

Hoping to hear from the resident experts.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed