Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 15:04   #13786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I have a different opinion here from what I've seen. 12-15 hours of 3G standby with less than 30 minutes of screen ON time is not at all decent IMO Its OK if you're a heavy user, but that much drain on standby is not so efficient.
I think I should qualify my statement with the words - normal/usual usage of phone! I don't mean to say that BT/GPS should be on all throughout. Even I hate that kind of drain but what to do if 3G is like that only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Defy on 3G with WajKIUI gives around the same or more.
What is your usage pattern? I barely get past 12-15 hrs on Defy on the same ROM if 3G is on all throughout. My usage includes ~1 hour of calls+SMS, manual polling of emails, FB and Twitter every 3 hours, WhatsApp for a major part of the day and BT/GPS as needed, but not more than 1-1.5 hrs on any day. My screen timeout is 30 secs.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:17   #13787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
MIUI or Wajk MIUI? If the latter, then 3.1.27 or 2.12.28?

I didn't know background data is SUCH a huge battery drain.

True, Defy is a very potent phone. Only WP can probably replace it for you in dollar-per-feature terms.
Or the new Xperia Z. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...ones/xperia-z/

Does more and above of everything the Defy does. Cracker of a phone from what got reported at CES.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:22   #13788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MIUI or Wajk MIUI? If the latter, then 3.1.27 or 2.12.28?
Obviously Wajk MIUI, the 3.1.27 build.

Quote:
WhatsApp for a major part of the day
I think I found your problem. WhatsApp is a huge battery hog. When I installed whatsapp, it killed my battery time to half. Got rid of it, and restored my battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Or the new Xperia Z. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...ones/xperia-z/

Does more and above of everything the Defy does. Cracker of a phone from what got reported at CES.
How do you even compare these phones? It has 40% larger surface, 4 cores vs one core, 13MP vs 5MP camera...

I can't even imagine switching to something that big. I am sure it costs 2-3 times of Defy. Both are IP57 certified, that is the only common factor.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2013 at 14:12. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:27   #13789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Thanks 9thsphinx, that confirms my understanding since there are no stable builds for I9300 yet.
After using Stock ROM -> Paranoid Android -? Omega 38, now I am back to stock 4.1.2 XELLC and I am not facing any problem.

The difference is, when we install custom ROM, we are forced to to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, etc. The performance is smooth.

Whereas when we upgrade to the stock ROM, we do not wipe data/cache/dalvoc etc, because it is not required.

I'ld suggest you to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, etc. and then update the stock ROM. Try it once and if you are satisfied, custom ROMs are always available.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:56   #13790
BHPian

Quote:
I think I should qualify my statement with the words - normal/usual usage of phone! I don't mean to say that BT/GPS should be on all throughout. Even I hate that kind of drain but what to do if 3G is like that only!

What is your usage pattern? I barely get past 12-15 hrs on Defy on the same ROM if 3G is on all throughout. My usage includes ~1 hour of calls+SMS, manual polling of emails, FB and Twitter every 3 hours, WhatsApp for a major part of the day and BT/GPS as needed, but not more than 1-1.5 hrs on any day. My screen timeout is 30 secs.
Here you go

1) Around 30-40 mins of voice call
2) Exchange sync, Gmail sync (Priority inbox) on for day time (I have Llama toggle it when am home from 10PM to 6AM)
3) Around 1hr of screen time
4) BT is always OFF
5) GPS for my walking session in the evening, for an hour with Endomondo application
6) Screen timeout at 30 sec with automatic brightness.
7) Whatsapp for may be half hour most.

With this usage pattern, I use to get an average of 1-1.5 days on Defy. Means I take it off charger around 8.30AM in the morning, it can go till the next day evening. The overnight drain is less than 2-3% which is contributing a lot.
However, not using this one as my daily driver anymore. On a Note 2 for the past couple weeks and I think I'll be on it for coming few months at least

Between, hows your 3G signal level? Fortunately I have more than 18asu all the time at my home and my workplace. I know this one drains like anything when you're in a low signal area. For e.g. I've ran out of juice while in cinema.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 11th February 2013 at 16:05.
Old 11th February 2013, 16:11   #13791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How do you even compare these phones? It has 40% larger surface, 4 cores vs one core, 13MP vs 5MP camera...

I can't even imagine switching to something that big. I am sure it costs 2-3 times of Defy. Both are IP57 certified, that is the only common factor.
I am just looking at it as one device for two needs (a phablet). I do much of my reading when traveling on the defy, and having a slightly larger screen doesn't hurt. My biggest need was it being dust proof and water proof, as well as being clearly shatterproof. It's screen is supposedly 10 times stronger than Gorilla glass 2 (iP6).

I've also ended up using the defy a LOT when driving with Gmaps, so a larger screen with a windscreen dock will make a GPS device redundant. So that's 3 devices packaged into one.

And lastly, the camera on the Xperia is lightyears ahead of any other phone in the market today. the defy's camera is worthless as you will agree. I am not much of a digital SLR person, so the camera on this phone should be more than enough for my usage and not warrant a separate point and shoot camera (its got a dedicated image chip). That makes it 4 devices in 1.

Even though it costs 2-3 times more (roughly 35k as opposed to 15k for the defy), it does tick all the boxes for my usage. And I save money and space (when traveling - this is big for me) on other dedicated gadgets that essentially do the same job.

Your criteria may be different as is my use-case scenario. Enjoy your search!
Old 11th February 2013, 16:32   #13792
BHPian

Any reviews on the Micromax Ninja A89 ? The phone has the same dual core processor and GPU of Micromax A110 Canvas 2 and is priced around 6100-6300 INR, with 512 MB Ram and 4 inch screen. Looks tempting at this price, though the only flaw I can find seeing You Tube videos is that the color reproduction does not look as good as say a Samsung's mobile and also the battery is just 1450 mAh. I am ok with its camera which is a 3 MP Fixed Focus. Need your help in finalizing as I have never used/owned a Micromax Mobile. Thanks.
Old 11th February 2013, 20:13   #13793
BHPian

Hey guys, tried connecting my samsung galaxy note2 to my pioneer stereo through USB, it says incompatible USB, any idea how to fix this?
Old 11th February 2013, 22:22   #13794
BHPian

Guys little off topic but please let me know whether screen protector will affect sensitivity of capacitive stylus? I am planning to buy one for my Xperia Neo L.
Old 11th February 2013, 22:58   #13795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys little off topic but please let me know whether screen protector will affect sensitivity of capacitive stylus? I am planning to buy one for my Xperia Neo L.
No, it won't effect.
Old 11th February 2013, 23:23   #13796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
using one with my note 2 no difference. Matt finish will be better as it prevents fingerprints.
Try papyrus note app with stylus, less functional then Samsung sNote but good on its own.
Old 12th February 2013, 06:27   #13797
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the information. Could you tell me which brand is good? Or should i go for the locsl ones that are available?
Old 12th February 2013, 09:07   #13798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Hey guys, tried connecting my samsung galaxy note2 to my pioneer stereo through USB, it says incompatible USB, any idea how to fix this?
It may not be possible as Note 2 is running Jellybean with no USB mass storage support out of the box. As an alternative you can try through BT streaming if your Pioneer supports it. Aux In is another option, but won't be that good in terms of sound quality as digital streaming.
Old 12th February 2013, 09:52   #13799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Your criteria may be different as is my use-case scenario. Enjoy your search!
Well, when I said successor for Defy, I obviously meant same price range and ergonomics, but with better specs under the hood.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:08   #13800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, when I said successor for Defy, I obviously meant same price range and ergonomics, but with better specs under the hood.
That's the problem with current crop of Android phones. CPU, GPU and camera specs are directly proportional to screen size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks