Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 11:45   #15556
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Using a Xolo q800 now. Not faced any issues so far, planning to root soon and upgrade to 4.2.

Also a nice app I found "Swapps" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...h.swapps&hl=en
Old 27th June 2013, 11:54   #15557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Now, what kind of price I can sell the Defy for? It works perfectly.
Just an advise. Please keep the defy as your spare phone. (Just in case).

Just to share: one fine day my Defy slept from my hand & dropped right out of a moving train on a rainy day.

Went to office disheartened, but as the phone was ringing, took a chance & went back to search it in lunch hours. To my shocking surprise, it was lying there on concrete between two tracks. Found it after almost 5 hours.
Was surprised to found it in working condition, no damage / scratch on screen. The headphone cover was open still it survived the Mumbai rains. The wallpaper was found to be changed automatically though & it was way too hot.
Still using daily, as its rainy season.

So, a humble request, please dont sell it. Keep it with you. Its worth it.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:09   #15558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Phones are not supposed to be around magnets, does a magnetic flip cover make sense then?

This is what I'm referring to.
If you are using Galaxy Note and want to use sPen then don't get magnetic cover.
Hand writing goes haywire but there is no permanent damage it will be back to normal once you remove magnetic field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why? What will happen?

I thought phones generate a sufficiently strong magnetic field themselves, which is why one is advised not to keep mag-stripe cards (hotel keys, parking garage tokens etc.) near a phone. Believed it after my key wouldn't open the hotel door in the evening - I had kept it in my shirt pocket along with my phone!
Capacitive touch screen faces problem in strong magnetic field. Touch gestures still work but if you want to use a capacitive stylus with small tip then the recognition does not work well due to altered capacitance in magnetic field.
Old 27th June 2013, 13:27   #15559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
... if you want to use a capacitive stylus with small tip then the recognition does not work well due to altered capacitance in magnetic field.
This is getting curiouser! The capacitance is altered in a magnetic field??? And finger touch won't be affected but stylus will?

Here's a Samsung Tech Helpdesk Livechat session transcript I found on the net:
======================================
Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Pamela'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640469517X

Pamela: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Steven: I actually have the Galaxy Nexus but it was not a available model to be selected
Pamela: Please go ahead with your question regarding your Samsung mobile phone.
Steven: I have an question regarding leather pouches with the magnetic flaps and if they are safe for the phone
Pamela: I understand that you are looking for information on leather pouch for the phone. Am I right?
Steven: Yes I have a standard pouch but I hear they may be bad for the NFC chip in the phone
Pamela: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .
Steven: SCH-I515
Pamela: Thank you for the information.
Steven: It is a universal leather side pouch like the ones you sell on your site for some of your other models but I have read that some people are unsure if the tiny magnets in the flaps that hold them shut will actually cause any damage to the NFC chip or phone itself
Pamela: The pouch you would effect the phone hardware.
Pamela: Not*.
Steven: So the tiny magnets in the pouch that hold the flap close would not affect the hardware at all correct?
Pamela: Yes, you are right.
Steven: Thank you. I had a friend who called you 1-888 # and a rep told him it would damage the mother board and not to use them so I wanted to check for myself
Pamela: I am sorry, but that would not effect the phone.
Steven: Thank you very much for the info. Have a very Happy Holiday
Pamela: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Steven: No thank you again
Pamela: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
======================================

Should help dispel the myth of pouch magnet affecting the phone.
Old 27th June 2013, 13:42   #15560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is getting curiouser! The capacitance is altered in a magnetic field??? And finger touch won't be affected but stylus will?
That is correct. Finger touch works on capacitive sensors, those are not impacted by magnetic fields.

Also cheaper stylus that are capacitive are also not impacted.

For precise stylus, different sensors are used (EMR). Screen induces a weak current via magnetic field in stylus (so that stylus does not have to use a battery). These sensors are impacted by magnetic fields. Not sure if magnets in covers are strong enough to cause impact, but larger magnets do.

http://www.wacom-components.com/engl...ology/emr.html
Old 27th June 2013, 13:55   #15561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
... For precise stylus, different sensors are used (EMR). ...
Slow down, please, don't speed read.

The discussion, dear @NetfreakBombay, was about smartphone touch panels, fingers and common capacitive stylii, not about Wacom tablets used for drafting and design with desktops, nor touch technology in general. The precise issue was "magnetic fields affecting capacitive touch screens of mobiles".

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th June 2013 at 14:05.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:00   #15562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Slow down, please, don't speed read.
Wacom inductive touch is the technology used in Samsung devices with Inductive Stylus. Trade name is S-Pen (E.g. galaxy note 2).

Read this teardown:

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/New...n-Reveals.aspx

From the source:

Quote:
A feature that the iPad does not have but which the Galaxy Note 10.1 possesses is the hybrid touch screen, which features not only conventional capacitive touch sensing, but also gives users the option of using a Wacom digitizer pen. Wacom's pen is passive: it requires no battery or power source, or cords—like a mouse—but works using inductive pen sensing. Essentially one can use the Galaxy note to write on, but still utilize it as a conventional touch tablet.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 27th June 2013 at 14:12. Reason: Toning the post down.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:22   #15563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
... Wacom inductive touch is the technology used in Samsung devices with Inductive Stylus. ...
* We were discussing this post
* The link in that post talks about a magnetic cover on an LG Google Nexus 4, and @fine69's understanding (due to something he read somewhere else) that magnetic fields affect smartphones in general
* Here is the source of the transcript that I had pasted - you will recognize the myths propagated around the subject.

Before you take umbrage on simple things pointed out by others and start getting acerbic (thank you for toning down your post meanwhile), please relate to a discussion before putting the cart before the horse!
Old 27th June 2013, 14:34   #15564
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

When I switch my GPS on it takes around a minute to lock on the satellites. Now when I lock my phone (Using power button) and then unlock it, I can see that I have lost the GPS lock and it again takes around 30-50 secs to acquire a lock.

Is there any app available which can constantly (or policy based) lock on the satellites so that when I unlock my phone it wont waste time on locking on satellites? Of course the app should work when the phone is locked and should not keep the display on always.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:34   #15565
BANNED

The Wacom stylus(S-pen) works by emitting and recieving signal by EM waves(electromagnetic waves), which CAN be affected by presence of Magnets

https://sites.google.com/site/electr...gnets/about-us

The regular touch functions(using the Finger) will work as expected.

P.S. Don;t be so sure that the S-pen will be affected. I have a Note 8.0 with a Magnetic case and the S-pen still works like a charm
Old 27th June 2013, 14:52   #15566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* The link in that post talks about a magnetic cover on an LG Google Nexus 4, and @fine69's understanding (due to something he read somewhere else) that magnetic fields affect smartphones in general
* Here is the source of the transcript that I had pasted - you will recognize the myths propagated around the subject.
That was what Amit has said as well. Sensors for finger touch are not imapcted. However stylus is impacted if it is a precise one based on Inductive sensors.

What I said: Source Post

Quoting that post:

Quote:
Also cheaper stylus that are capacitive are also not impacted.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th June 2013 at 14:59. Reason: Redundant part edited. We should take such issues offline, don't you think?
Old 27th June 2013, 15:02   #15567
Senior - BHPian

@fine I saw the link just now , Small magnet is just to close the flip and it will not impact.
The case i was referring to was "magnetic adsorption case"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARQQNXA

This is with 3 large magnetic strips so that case folds at the back and works as a stand and magnetic field was too strong and impacted the screen. Still it was useful for browsing and movies but interfered with stylus use so my 1000Rs went down the drain.

Coming back to Galaxy Note 2 it uses both capacitive touch and EMR in same device as explained amply by netfreakBombay.

It is badly affected by magnetic cases. Coming back to normal capacitive touch screens . Yes magnetic flux will have an effect theoretically but impact is minimal for practical usage.

And this is the reason why I wrote in the original response that if you are using finger gesture there is no impact but using stylus like Note there is an impact.

Quote:
Your post suggests that you were scoffing at the idea of change in capacitance with magnetic flux probably because magnetic field does not seem to appear anywhere in the equations involving capacitance.

Let me explain it a bit starting from basics in very simple words as studied in high school

Capacitance = [Ampere X Sec] / [Volt]

Presence of magnetic flux ( a magnetic case with hand movement) induces a little current and thus can change capacitance and sometimes it is visible as well , Try using a horseshoe magnet or other stronger magnet on a touch screen device it becomes visible.

Now how much is the impact ? Probably negligible in functionality so I wrote it does not impact your finger gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The Wacom stylus(S-pen) works by emitting and recieving signal by EM waves(electromagnetic waves), which CAN be affected by presence of Magnets

https://sites.google.com/site/electr...gnets/about-us

The regular touch functions(using the Finger) will work as expected.

P.S. Don;t be so sure that the S-pen will be affected. I have a Note 8.0 with a Magnetic case and the S-pen still works like a charm
Yes it gets affected I have used a magnetic case with Note 2 and handwriting does not work at certain points on the screen.

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th June 2013 at 15:26. Reason: For addressing fine69s concern
Old 27th June 2013, 15:10   #15568
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Using a Xolo q800 now. Not faced any issues so far, planning to root soon and upgrade to 4.2.

Also a nice app I found "Swapps" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...h.swapps&hl=en
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
I'm using the Xolo Q700 for past 2-3 days now.

Good phone. Butter smooth running on JB 4.2

It looks very premium. Screen size is just perfect for one hand operation.

Some niggles i've faced are:

1. GPS never locks your position. Never.
2. Voice quality is not good compared to my previous samsung phones.
3. Camera takes a fraction of second more while clicking pics with flash on. The quality of pics are OK.
4. Internal memory available is very low(appx. 2.4 GB). Also, the phone will not update unless you have installed external sd card.

Overall, a great phone. Depends on your usage. I don't play many games, but the couple of games i've installed were running v. smoothly. It does not comes pre-installed with any office application (Polaris office or MS office), but there are good free apps available on play store. Push mail option is not available. But what i liked was the green led light which blinks on top right side whenever you receive a mail or sms.

A good budget phone. I bought it from Indiatimes shopping for 8.4k. I was apprehensive a bit in the beginning about shopping experience with Indiatimes. Since the value was not very high, I decided to take the risk, and I am surprised to say it was a very pleasing experience. I received proper follow-up on mail & sms, and received the product 5-6 days after placing the order.

Let me know if you require any further information.
Thanks guys. A friend just ordered the Q1000. Let me see how it is.
Old 27th June 2013, 15:16   #15569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
... starting from basics in very simple words as studied in high school
Capacitance = [Ampere X Sec] / [Volt]
Presence of magnetic flux ( a magnetic case with hand movement) induces a little current and thus can change capacitance and sometimes it is visible as well. ...
We are severely OT here - this thread is about Android and Android phones.

PS: Perhaps we can take the physics part off line? You have assumed that a human finger is able to induce a little current (not sure where) due to the presence of a magnetic field. There could be a lot of practical uses of that principle, were it to be true. It would help if we know how current is produced in the presence of magnetic fields, since we live in a magnetic field (earth's!) all our lives.
Old 27th June 2013, 15:29   #15570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys,

When I switch my GPS on it takes around a minute to lock on the satellites. Now when I lock my phone (Using power button) and then unlock it, I can see that I have lost the GPS lock and it again takes around 30-50 secs to acquire a lock.

Is there any app available which can constantly (or policy based) lock on the satellites so that when I unlock my phone it wont waste time on locking on satellites? Of course the app should work when the phone is locked and should not keep the display on always.
Never mind, got an appliacation which kind of does it for you. Its called "Tracker Booster" and is available on Play store.

More details: http://androgeoid.com/2010/08/keep-y...uously-active/

Most Viewed