Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 11:40   #18691
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Xiaomi users and prospective buyers; please be aware of the below blog: just read it, not sure about it... But since it's gsmarena.....

http://mblog.gsmarena.com/xiaomi-sec...inese-servers/
While it is debatable, as well as possible too. It could be that the person posted it just for some publicity, and activated the sync with MiCloud (comes 2GB free space with all Xiaomi phones). In which case I guess phone upload your data to their server, which I think is in China. This sync can be switched off.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:51   #18692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Xiaomi users and prospective buyers; please be aware of the below blog: just read it, not sure about it... But since it's gsmarena.....

http://mblog.gsmarena.com/xiaomi-sec...inese-servers/
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
While it is debatable, as well as possible too. It could be that the person posted it just for some publicity, and activated the sync with MiCloud (comes 2GB free space with all Xiaomi phones). In which case I guess phone upload your data to their server, which I think is in China. This sync can be switched off.
If you read the 'source' article (from where gsmarena picked it up) the user says the following -

- MiCloud was disabled during the test.
- This process (connection to china IP and data upload) survived root (?? not sure what he means by this.)
- Survived firmware flash

Also, it needs to be seen if this is present in MiUI roms as well or is it just the phones?

Could be a publicity stunt as well for the blog.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:45   #18693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If you read the 'source' article (from where gsmarena picked it up) the user says the following -

- MiCloud was disabled during the test.
- This process (connection to china IP and data upload) survived root (?? not sure what he means by this.)
- Survived firmware flash

Also, it needs to be seen if this is present in MiUI roms as well or is it just the phones?

Could be a publicity stunt as well for the blog.
Yes I noticed it late when mod of gsmarena add the foot note, then checked the source. I am planning to find out a way to test this on mine if it is really happening. Lets see...
Old 30th July 2014, 13:18   #18694
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to find out a way to test this on mine if it is really happening. Lets see...
ALERT ALERT ... not sure if anything to worry about and how much, installed this app "Network Connections"(https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...onitor&utma=xd) and it shows these apps

Xiaomi Service framework (com.xiaomi.xmsf), Com.Qualcomm.Location.XT and
Messaging (com.android.mms) send out data to some IP which are in China, the address it shows as

CHINACACHE, Beijing Blue IT Technologies Co Ltd
Galaxy Building No 10 jiuxianqiao... Beijing
and some other Beijing addresses.

My MiCloud service also disabled. One thing found out if you disable cloud massaging (setting from message app) the messaging service stop sending any data. So there could be settings that makes phone to send data not necessarily a spy activity but then... who knows
Old 30th July 2014, 14:02   #18695
BHPian

Quote:
ALERT ALERT ... not sure if anything to worry about and how much, installed this app "Network Connections"(https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...onitor&utma=xd) and it shows these apps

Xiaomi Service framework (com.xiaomi.xmsf), Com.Qualcomm.Location.XT and
Messaging (com.android.mms) send out data to some IP which are in China, the address it shows as

CHINACACHE, Beijing Blue IT Technologies Co Ltd
Galaxy Building No 10 jiuxianqiao... Beijing
and some other Beijing addresses.

My MiCloud service also disabled. One thing found out if you disable cloud massaging (setting from message app) the messaging service stop sending any data. So there could be settings that makes phone to send data not necessarily a spy activity but then... who knows
Can you greenify those apps and update if phone still sends the data?
Old 30th July 2014, 14:39   #18696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can you greenify those apps and update if phone still sends the data?
will try greenify. However, with little digging, this is what I can find,

mainly 2 to 3 set of IP addresses are accessed by these apps at different times

42.62.*.*
202.108.*.*
58.68.*.*

1st one is by Forest-Eternal Comm Tech, which is where Xiaomi.cn is hosted (if you open privacy policy etc on phone which is downloaded from Xiaomi site)
2nd one is China Unicom which is a state-owned (govt) company (Should we be worried)
3rd one is Chinacache (cloud content) used by Blue IT Technologies (for Xiaomi) to provide cloud solution/contents (could be used for themes etc)

They all could be legit but question is why should they be accessed/date sent without explicitly mentioned to users?
Old 30th July 2014, 14:48   #18697
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, so my search for a mobile phone has narrowed down to the below two (in no particular order):

Asus Zenfone 5

Xioami Mi3

The Mi3 has a better processor and camera compared to the Asus.

Do you think it would be wise to take the plunge and try to register and buy the Mi3?

Please advise.
Old 30th July 2014, 14:56   #18698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Gentlemen, so my search for a mobile phone has narrowed down to the below two (in no particular order):

Asus Zenfone 5

Xioami Mi3

Do you think it would be wise to take the plunge and try to register and buy the Mi3?

Please advise.
Absolutely yes if you can manage to get one in first place. I have been using one for 9 days now and seriously hav'nt found a single flaw, especially for the price of 14k.
Old 30th July 2014, 15:39   #18699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely yes if you can manage to get one in first place. I have been using one for 9 days now and seriously hav'nt found a single flaw, especially for the price of 14k.
Thanks Akshay. I hope the after sales support also is equally good considering how unpredictably some gadgets give up.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:07   #18700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Asus Zenfone 5

Xioami Mi3

Please advise.
From pure specifications, it has to be MI3. I had got one in the first sale, and although it is officially for my wife, I have used it quite a bit and now I end up reaching for it over my Nexus 4 for casual browsing, videos etc... It is an excellent phone. Longevity without major issues is definitely an open. After Sales support I would not worry too much as Bangalore has a dedicated Xiaomi Service Center (As per flipkart. Not sure if it is open yet).

Getting it would be a challenge considering the hype they are building over it and the minimal stocks released. But no harm trying. If you do not get it in 1-2 tries, you can always go for the Zenfone.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:18   #18701
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay. I hope the after sales support also is equally good considering how unpredictably some gadgets give up.
As we are based in Bangalore, I would not worry much. I gave a call to this dedicated service center and initial response was quick. Planning to drop there sometime.
Old 31st July 2014, 08:41   #18702
Distinguished - BHPian

Moto G price dropped by 2000!

New Prices -
8 GB @ 10500
16GB @ 11999

I was about to order Moto E, but now thinking about going for G - 8GB.
Old 31st July 2014, 09:02   #18703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Moto G price dropped by 2000!

New Prices -
8 GB @ 10500
16GB @ 11999

I was about to order Moto E, but now thinking about going for G - 8GB.
Go for the 16GB version. It's worth the extra 1.4k. With the new ART feature getting stabilised, internal memory is going to be crucial in Android eco system.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:10   #18704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Getting it would be a challenge considering the hype they are building over it and the minimal stocks released. But no harm trying. If you do not get it in 1-2 tries, you can always go for the Zenfone.
Thanks Rajeev, for your inputs. I'm in no hurry so even if I don't get it in the upcoming sale, i'll wait it out. If my patience does run out, I'll get the Zenfone but only grouse with this is the Intel Atom processor which many are skeptical about.

Quote:
As we are based in Bangalore, I would not worry much. I gave a call to this dedicated service center and initial response was quick. Planning to drop there sometime.
Thanks Akshay, do let me know about your store visit. I'm being cautious since I had a bad experience with Moto a couple of years back and hence the once bitten twice shy syndrome.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:37   #18705
BHPian

Bhpians, need your expert advice real quick. I recently updated my wife's Nexus 5 to KitKat 4.4.4. Connection with Airtel is prepaid and we generally keep the mobile data off. But after this upgrade, even though the mobile data is turned off, we get message in the phone that the last 3G cost was some .01 or .03 paisa and the balance is getting reduced. Calls to Airtel doesn't go through at all. What are my options now?

Most Viewed