Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 00:02   #23656
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Have been using Zuk1 for the past one week! Just one word for this phone "Awesome"!
Are there any heating issues on regular use? Also, how is the camera?
Old 5th June 2016, 10:44   #23657
BHPian

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

I am aware of Moto G3's performance as i got one for my wife on Valentines day

My cousin sister is not comfortable with Redmi devices based on couple of her friends experience (heating device) and she booked Asus Zenfone Max 32 GB version as her mom would buy Moto G3 for herself and she did not wanted two Moto G3's in family.
Old 5th June 2016, 15:14   #23658
BHPian

Hello All - Update on my moto G4 plus. I have returned because of heating while operating camera. I use my camera almost daily and in the beginning I was able to tolerate it. Later on , I couldnt. Also even though the RAM provided was 3Gb, sometime i observed lags, especially while using Chrome or facebook. The lag is in touch. Like I would scroll up and it would take 3 to 4 secs delay to perform the action. Since I had the option to return it, I returned it.I moved to iphone 6s 64gb, since most of the devices in android having one or other issues. I am a hard core android fan. It was quiet difficult for me to switch, but I did it. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 5th June 2016, 16:19   #23659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hello All - Update on my moto G4 plus. I have returned because of heating while operating camera.
How were you able to return it? I think Amazon only allows replacement on phones now.

It is unfortunate that you had to return it, because Moto G has been such a good option at a great price for the last few years. I had been really looking forward to the Moto G4+ to replace my Moto G (1st gen) which has been struggling a bit. But I held back because of the overheating issues and the absence of magnetometer.

Today I decided to experiment by installing CyanogenMod 13 on my Moto G. I had zero experience with flashing custom ROMs but decided to go ahead anyway. I was worried that I might mess up my phone but it was quite straightforward. Initial impressions are very good. Everything is running very smoothly. Will have to use for a few days to see if there is any improvement in battery life with Android 6.0.1. But this has extended the life of my Moto G1 and I can wait a bit longer before upgrading to a new phone.

Quote:
Have been using Zuk1 for the past one week! Just one word for this phone "Awesome"!
Good to know that the Z1 is performing well. However, there are a lot of bad reviews on Amazon.in about lag, phone hanging up or rebooting and so on. This made me a bit apprehensive about buying a Zuk device.

Last edited by JonSnow : 5th June 2016 at 16:32.
Old 5th June 2016, 16:22   #23660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
How were you able to return it? I think Amazon only allows replacement on phones now.

It is unfortunate that you had to return it, because Moto G has been such a good option at a great price for the last few years. I had been really looking forward to the Moto G4+ to replace my Moto G (1st gen) which has been struggling a bit. But I held back because of the overheating issues and the absence of magnetometer.

Today I decided to experiment by installing CyanogenMod 13 on my Moto G. I had zero experience with flashing custom ROMs but decided to go ahead anyway. I was worried that I might mess up my phone but it was quite straightforward. Initial impressions are very good. Everything is running very smoothly. Will have to use for a few days to see if there is any improvement in battery life with Android 6.0.1. But this has extended the life of my Moto G1 and I can wait a bit longer before upgrading to a new phone.

You can return it if you already got a replacement and still having issues with it. I requested a replacement for my initial G4 as it had some scratch on the camera. Good to know that your G1 is working good with the Cyanogen mod
Old 5th June 2016, 17:49   #23661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I moved to iphone 6s 64gb
@sairamboko: How much did you get the iphone 6s for?
Old 5th June 2016, 17:51   #23662
BHPian

Quote:
@sairamboko: How much did you get the iphone 6s for?
I bought the iphone 6s 64gb variant for Rs.60,400 in reliance digital store. Citibank is running a cash back offer and if you take emi option, the interest amount is also given as cash back.
Old 6th June 2016, 00:15   #23663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post

I suggested Moto G3(non turbo) but it seems the device has been withdrawn from Flipkart from last 3-4 days and the one available on Amazon is for Rs.10,999/- and she is not willing to put extra cash.
I would expect the Moto G Turbo to fall in price (basically new offer could come soon). I picked up one for my mother a couple of months ago from Amazon for Rs. 10999 (after I receive cashback on Citibank CC, final cost would be Rs. 10,000).

The initial buzz on Moto G4+ has faded off - I see lot of complains about device heating while using camera.
Also, a new Moto phone will be released in the next few days.

All of these would contribute to price reductions. So, hang on to the trusty Nokia for some more time.
Old 6th June 2016, 01:10   #23664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The recently launched Sony X series are all 5" but they are ridiculously overpriced.
Well I'm a Sony fan, just like there are all these Apple fans or iFans, so I just got that factor out of the way. Now looking at the phones practically, after using a Sony to me no other Android phone is usable, at least in the quality front and the feel/sophistication.

Sony is the only brand that can compete with Apple in terms of snob value, and technically demolish it in most ways. Both brands have that Hollywood connection and it shows in terms of the sophistication. Because of their heritage in music I've so many options to play with in terms of equalizer settings, DSEE-HX (upscaling music to a higher bit-rate so that each aspect of the sound is heard clearer) and Surround effect. I also wanted a phone with the best camera and again it goes to the Sony.. the only trick is to get to the manual mode (20 mp) and quickly tweak with the ambient light settings, white setting and brightness.. it delivers stupendous photos when done that way and most Indian reviews care only to take shots in 8 mp auto-mode and then call it "inferior" to xyz brands.

I'm also guessing that the initial pricing is just the Sony way of creating a discount illusion, the Z5 was launched at Rs.52,990/- if I'm not wrong and I bought it on the very day of launch at Rs.46,990/-. Great value considering that it has waterproofing and was at its time the greatest Android phone. The X Series I have to admit is not in the level of Z5, but maybe they are repositioning the range and a similar discount is possible when launched. Yes they are expensive but I truly know that they belong in the league just above Apple, and for that the cost is quite ok.

Of course each person has his/her priorities when choosing a phone, an iPhone user after testing my phone said that it runs way too fast and transitions in lightning speed whereas he likes the "smooth" transitions of Apple software. To me speed is important, just plain speed so I didn't quite understand what he meant. For a power user who likes to take photos and want memories in crystal clear pictures and also to get lost in the magic of sound, there is nothing quite like a Sony.
Old 6th June 2016, 08:49   #23665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are there any phone less than 4.5 inches that have good workable specs.
I mean not everyone had hands of Goliath to maneuver the gargantuan 5.5 inch screens that are in vogue these days ...
Completely forgot about the Xiaomi Mi5 mini, which is a fan among many rumor mongers. It is reported to have a 4.3 inch display.

https://www.androidpit.com/xiaomi-mi...specs-features
Old 6th June 2016, 09:29   #23666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Well I'm a Sony fan, just like there are all these Apple fans or iFans, so I just got that factor out of the way. Now looking at the phones practically, after using a Sony to me no other Android phone is usable, at least in the quality front and the feel/sophistication.

Sony is the only brand that can compete with Apple in terms of snob value, and technically demolish it in most ways. Both brands have that Hollywood connection and it shows in terms of the sophistication.
it delivers stupendous photos when done that way and most Indian reviews care only to take shots in 8 mp auto-mode and then call it "inferior" to xyz brands.

I'm also guessing that the initial pricing is just the Sony way of creating a discount illusion. The X Series I have to admit is not in the level of Z5, but maybe they are repositioning the range and a similar discount is possible when launched. Yes they are expensive but I truly know that they belong in the league just above Apple, and for that the cost is quite ok.
Well Sir, I totally understand where you're coming from, being an ex-Sony user and fan for the last two years.
But we have to admit that sadly Sony is just not the same anymore. They took many outright crazy business decisions, and have simply refused to improve where it matters.
It is true only Sony have had the brand appeal AND quality to give it back to Apple, but they couldn't actually do it, yet.
I'm afraid I feel the Z3 was the last legendary phone and the Z5 the last great phone made by Sony. They just don't seem to be going anywhere near those standards today.

It started with the 'toaster in disguise of smartphone' Z3+, and has been pretty much the same now. The 810 ruined the Z3+, then the Z5 sold in the USA (of all markets!) shockingly skipped on the fingerprint scanner and was overpriced on top of that, and now the X series.

When news reports described the X series as midrangers, I was very happy with such offerings from Sony. And expectations raised further from the Z6, supposed to be coming fall. But then it turned out that the Z was dead, and X was the new Z. Still, I refused to write Sony off and waited on. They were already way behind the curve with a June launch.
And then came the pricing. Which is just outright insane. The Xperia X costs 49k, and comes with the exact same processor and RAM combination as the 12k Redmi Note 3! Further, it isn't waterproof (the X performance seemingly is), cannot record 4k video, and has extremely poorly optimized camera software.
I never trusted the wannabe kind of YouTube reviews from a lot of channels. But I do trust XDA- the place that analyzes and tweaks smartphones to the core.
And they say that the camera on the X is very poorly optimized. It heats up like crazy in a few minutes, most scene modes and aspect ratios refuse to work in tandem, and then there's just no 4k recording.
And that's not it, the decidedly mediocre Xperia XA, which sells for all absurd 21k by the way, only comes with a 720p screen, a Mediatek chip, plastic build and a 13mp camera that's already begun to raise doubts.
Alright, this is not the first time, and they have been selling T2 ultras with the Snapdragon 400 and 720p screens for around 25k (!!) last year, but this takes it to a new level.
I don't know what they see in the X that they feel is worth 49k. It's more like 31k, even with the Sony brand considered.

Even HTC was in fact in a worse position than this last year. The M9 was pathetic, the million derivatives of it only created excessive fragmentation and failed to capture market interest, and the budget devices were quite useless too. But then they managed to halt the downfall successfully. The A9 brought them back in talks, the 10 is a proper work of art in its hardware, and has the vote of buyers and critics alike, and now they've signed the Nexus deal with Google.
The thing with Sony is that, this momentum in the forward direction just can't be seen as of now.

And while it could never be easier to forget Sony, they still somehow manage to rekindle hopes. Their UI is the best OEM software after Moto, they still add meaningful stuff through software updates, and the developer support that their old flagships enjoy is outstanding. The Z3 was the first ever non-Nexus device to get the Android N preview, and their AOSP releases and bootloader unlock procedure remain excellent. Waterproofing and design remain two excellent tricks their arsenal, it's upto them how to use them now.

Their image sensor business is still very profitable, and that's what effectively feeds the mobile division.
They are also the last and only of the epic Nokia-Motorola-SonyEricsson trilogy surviving, the other two killed off by their new owners, and I hope they really live to see another day.
That said, I just can't see them doing well enough in VR, modularity, and other future tech.

Last edited by mukul32 : 6th June 2016 at 09:48.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:08   #23667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any heating issues on regular use? Also, how is the camera?
I got one in last Thursday's flash sale. Got the device delivered on Friday and has been using it since then. The set is working like charm- Looks good, feels good in hands, does not feel very heavy in hands. No heating issues, no lags whatsoever, no random rebooting at least till now. Camera both front and rear is pretty good. Front camera in particular clicks excellent photos in good light. I don't play games so can't tell anything about that part.
The only thing I am not very happy with is the fingerprint reader which seems to be little inconsistent.

Quote:

Good to know that the Z1 is performing well. However, there are a lot of bad reviews on Amazon.in about lag, phone hanging up or rebooting and so on. This made me a bit apprehensive about buying a Zuk device.
I was very apprehensive before purchasing reading all the reviews. But took a plunge hoping for the best, but the set is working superb till now. If you read all the reviews clearly, we get to see that most of the negative reviews are one liners written in poor English.
May be we should also consider the price point when we do a review. you can't expect flagship performance at 1/4 the price always. You get what you pay.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 6th June 2016 at 11:09.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:29   #23668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If you read all the reviews clearly, we get to see that most of the negative reviews are one liners written in poor English.
That is true. And usually there are a few reviews of that type on pretty much every product so i ignore them. Just that they seemed on the higher side for this device so I was concerned. But looking at the experiences on this thread and most of the youtube reviews, I guess it is not as bad as I feared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
May be we should also consider the price point when we do a review. you can't expect flagship performance at 1/4 the price always. You get what you pay.
Sure. I don't expect or need flagship level performance. The hardware in the device is good and it should be adequate for my needs. I was just worried if there are a larger proportion of defective devices than normal.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:37   #23669
BHPian

Quote:

That is true. And usually there are a few reviews of that type on pretty much every product so i ignore them. Just that they seemed on the higher side for this device so I was concerned. But looking at the experiences on this thread and most of the Youtube reviews, I guess it is not as bad as I feared.

Sure. I don't expect or need flagship level performance. The hardware in the device is good and it should be adequate for my needs. I was just worried if there are a larger proportion of defective devices than normal.
I usually watch reviews by Geekyranjit, even he told not to go by the negative reviews on online sites. Also he mentioned that most negative reviews seems to be planted by rival sites. What do you guys think?
Old 6th June 2016, 11:46   #23670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I usually watch reviews by Geekyranjit, even he told not to go by the negative reviews on online sites. Also he mentioned that most negative reviews seems to be planted by rival sites. What do you guys think?
Geekyranjit in his channel said he used this device for more than a week extensively and gave his review based on that. He was all praise for the device and that was one of the reviews which influenced my buying decision. In fact most online youtube tech reviews gave a thumbs up to this device.
There is a catch though - The regular online reviewers like geekyrenjit, igyan, etc were probably using the company supplied phones for their review. I observed that most of them did not have the lenovo logo at the back unlike the devices which are sold in India.

whatever, with respect to the device I got, So far So Good !

Most Viewed