Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:18   #23896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Here is what you have to do to fix this error. You only need to change the region in your Play account.

Using a browser on your computer or laptop go to "play.google.com" and login with the email address linked to your play account

1. In Google Wallet change your address to a India one.
Once I added the local US debit card, the prices were again shown in INR and I couldn't download any India specific apps. Prior to adding my debit card, I could see all prices in USD, but my phone disappeared from the list when I clicked install.
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:01   #23897
BHPian

I was in the market for a new phone and really wanted a 5 incher. Unfortunately almost every phone in the market is a 5.5. Now that even OnePlus decided to go 5.5 only (they are not bringing a successor to OPX) - I eventually got my wife a Mi Note 3.

I am surprised that I can actually use it despite the size. I did not feel the same when I first picked up the Nexus 6P and even Iphone 6S Plus (for me in Jan this year). We typically change phones every 18 months and I try to stay away from the high end market (Specially now as we have a 2 year old, who is a major gadget thief)
I have already broken a few phones in the last 6 months and I sincerely hope to last my current ones for 18 months.
Coming to MI Note 3 - its a decent phone and major VFM. The fingerprint sensor is very fast and well located. Camera outdoors is good, call quality is great. The one thing missing is gesture support. If anyone does not like MIUI - you can replace it with Google Launcher. I am probably more open to bigger phones now.
However I would have loved, a newer version of OPX with better specs (camera, battery, fingerprint sensor) as it costs more than most current mid range phones (still retails at 15k).
Old 2nd July 2016, 16:02   #23898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Once I added the local US debit card, the prices were again shown in INR and I couldn't download any India specific apps. Prior to adding my debit card, I could see all prices in USD, but my phone disappeared from the list when I clicked install.
Try installing the app from the phone. Just before accepting, wait on that screen. Basically you are one step away from installing a paid app. After a while, close that screen (need not install the app). Post that, it should change to USD and you should be able to see all country specific apps.

If all fails, get a phone for $50. Try Slickdeals.net for any deals on a phone or your local Walmart. Android phones are dime a dozen there.
Old 2nd July 2016, 18:46   #23899
BHPian

Has anyone used family tracking app, I am using kid control but not happy with its accuracy

Want something similar but better accuracy
Old 3rd July 2016, 00:39   #23900
Distinguished - BHPian

How to change default sms app in a Redmi Note 3 ?

I got a Redmi Note 3, and wanted to transfer data from the old Samsung Galaxy to this. I used " Easy Backup and Restore " to take the backup from the Samsung.

Over on the RN3, when I tried to restore the sms messages, it gave me this message:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-defaultsms.jpg

I ok-ed this, and " restored " the sms / mms messages.

Now:
1) I still dont see the sms / mms messages
2) I am trying to revert the default sms app, but not able to.

When I checked on the web, I get generic / steps for other phones on how to change the default sms app.

Help, pls !
Old 3rd July 2016, 00:54   #23901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

I've only ever used TWO Sony Phones in my life (both when they were still Sony Ericsson) but have plenty of people around me who swear by theirs, some still using years-old models because there just isn't a like-for-like replacement irrespective of price tags.
Have used Sony, much before they even became Sony-Ericson
They were lovely phones at that time, had a beautiful jogger dial on the side which was super handy, also were quite fashionable
However battery sucked big time and go kaput quite often with no spares or repairs available
They has one if the most fashionable phones then
Old 3rd July 2016, 06:39   #23902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not used MIUI in a while, but in Settings>Apps (or installed apps), there's a round circle that had the "defaults" option to change default apps for SMS, Browser, Launcher etc.
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:50   #23903
Distinguished - BHPian

@landcruiser123 - no, didnt work.
Thanks, though !
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:44   #23904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@landcruiser123 - no, didnt work.
Thanks, though !

In settings, apps, go to your current SMS client, there ought to be a clear defaults button.
Click that. Next time you open an SMS, it should ask for which app to use, you can select which to use and tick the check box. I think that is the same in miui and regular.
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:01   #23905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Has anyone used family tracking app, I am using kid control but not happy with its accuracy

Want something similar but better accuracy
Do you want to check up on location of kids? As my daughter is still 2, have not needed it.

This is something you can use to check up at home: Home Security Camera - Alfred. By far the best I have so far come across.
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:13   #23906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Do you want to check up on location of kids? As my daughter is still 2, have not needed it.

This is something you can use to check up at home: Home Security Camera - Alfred. By far the best I have so far come across.
Well not really CCTV at home but an app on the mobile of all family members which help you to keep a track of their location

All members can see each other on the app, it also has geo fencing etc but we don't really need that, which is more meant for kids
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:14   #23907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have restored your SMSs, uninstall "Easy Backup and Restore". Then your default SMS app will change to system SMS app. Simple.
Old 3rd July 2016, 16:30   #23908
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried clip-on lenses?

I'm thinking of getting one of these Aukey telephoto lenses. It helps that the price has dropped since I last looked too.

Aukey make good chargers and cables ...but, lenses?
Old 3rd July 2016, 16:34   #23909
BANNED

Any idea about the rollout for the Nougat. Any tentative launch dates and schedules? I guess Nexus will be followed by the Moto range.
Old 3rd July 2016, 17:56   #23910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any idea about the rollout for the Nougat. Any tentative launch dates and schedules? I guess Nexus will be followed by the Moto range.
Nothing concrete leaked out by now, going by the past it should be somewhere around October. But this year the preview builds have been released a lot earlier, so could be before that as well.

As the Google event starts approaching, leaked photos and actual renders of the upcoming Nexii start floating online. Nothing around so far, so the event shouldn't be anytime soon.

The Moto situation in fact will be interesting to watch. They have been excellent with updates so far, but now Lenovo are making their presence felt all over the place. Let's hope for the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks