Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2017, 17:14   #26221
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

P.S. Blasphemy on an Android thread but does the iPhone SE 32 GB make any sense at ~ 20k? She loves the form factor, though I'm skeptical of buying an old model that may become sluggish with 'forced obsolescence' updates, if not already so.
I think that's a very good choice if you are looking for a small form factor. iphone se has a good processor, same a s 6s. it should perform well for a long time and iphones get longer support too.
Old 6th September 2017, 18:55   #26222
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at Redmi 4 (Note 4 has better specs but is 5.5").
Lenovo Z2 Plus seems nice and is cheap at ~12k, but has some bad reviews.
Would prefer not to buy a Moto unless left with no other choice.
If you are fan of Chinese brands or Xiaomi then better to wait for the upcoming Google-Xiaomi MI A1

Best part is it will come with Google Android, no MIUI layer, no need of setting up MIUI account, reduced risk of data breach.

From hardware point of view, it will come with efficient 14nm snapdragon 625. Has got dual camera, one is wide angle and another is with zoomed in lens (AFAIK)

Another option is Moto G5 Plus or G5S Plus which also come with 625.
Difference between these two is the later comes with dual camera and bigger 5.5" screen compared to 5.2" inch of the former. Though the overall size remains almost same due to better screen to body ration in the G5S Plus.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th September 2017 at 19:14.
Old 6th September 2017, 20:12   #26223
BHPian

I am on the lookout for a new mobile. Requirements are as follows:
1) Stock Android.
2) screen size max 5.5 inches.
3) Good camera, dual camera preference. Good selfie camera.
4) Not a gamer.
5) Any model which has the above features for Rs. 20,000/-?
Old 6th September 2017, 20:15   #26224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I am on the lookout for a new mobile. Requirements are as follows:
1) Stock Android.
2) screen size max 5.5 inches.
3) Good camera, dual camera preference. Good selfie camera.
4) Not a gamer.
5) Any model which has the above features for Rs. 20,000/-?
Xiaomi MI A1
Moto G5s Plus
Old 6th September 2017, 20:44   #26225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Blasphemy on an Android thread but does the iPhone SE 32 GB make any sense at ~ 20k? She loves the form factor, though I'm skeptical of buying an old model that may become sluggish with 'forced obsolescence' updates, if not already so.
Bought one during the Independence Day sale as a replacement for my Redmi Note 3. Yeah, 5.5" to 4" screen. But loving the handling and am not really missing the big screen experience. Usage has been same as what it was on the Redmi Note 3 and dont find it hard to adapt to the smaller screen. One usage that has increased though is the camera as the Redmi Note 3 camera was useless compared to this one. Also this is not a 5s but a more modern and up to date processor in a old form factor only. This was released almost 6 months after the iPhone 6s was released. So internals are all the same as 6s including the 2GB RAM. So not an old model by model year means and should serve well for 2-3 years minimum if used with a good tough case. You can also check out the iPhone thread for reviews and of course some reviews on the internet for speed test with other flagship phones from Apple as well as Android phones.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 6th September 2017 at 20:45.
Old 6th September 2017, 21:57   #26226
BHPian

Bought the Lenovo p2 about 20 days ago and I am really impressed with the battery life. The phone is good to use and the call voice clarity and reception is all good. I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a marathon running battery. Low points for the camera in poor lighting conditions.
Old 6th September 2017, 22:09   #26227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Bought the Lenovo p2 about 20 days ago and I am really impressed with the battery life. The phone is good to use and the call voice clarity and reception is all good. I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a marathon running battery. Low points for the camera in poor lighting conditions.
How long does it last? Z play by moto does a comfy 2 days. I would get a moto over a lenovo...though they have the same parent.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:56   #26228
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update on my mobile phone purchase for those with similar uncompromising beliefs regarding image quality:
• My personal requirement is for a phone with excellent audio (for my regular phone calls) and excellent camera for my child's photos.
○ I have to click candid photos and he never cooperates for a good photo
○ Thus ability to rapidly click near-sharp photos in low light is my deciding factor.
○ I don't care if the phone can take amazing landscape photos in low light since that is not what is memorable to me
• The current hype leader is 1+5
○ In a recent family dinner, I clicked photos of my 2 year old niece. The ~2 year old 6s could take clearly sharper photos in the same light where the 3T would struggle.
○ Given how the 9 month old phone stacks up to the 2 year old, I am done with 1+5.
○ Plus it is hard to find places to experience the phone before buying
• Among the other phones, the battle comes down solely to the S8 vs HTC U11 (yet to be tried):
○ My test case is my son jumping up and down or pirouetting. That is representative of the action shots I want to take
○ S7 - the phone is good, but the face is considerably blurry all the time.
○ S8 - takes the highest set of sharp photos among all the phones but the photos look a bit warm/dark compared to others (underexposed to increase shutter speed)
○ i7 - takes very good photos and when sharp, the photos look rather pleasing and more natural than S8. But less number of sharp photos
○ G6 - If my son is stable, it takes the most attractive photos by far - there is simply no comparison of the colors / sharpness. But if there's the slightest motion, the face especially is unusable.
Pixel - Again, very very nice photos, but the sharp # of photos is much lower than iPhone7 (S8> i7 ~ Pixel >> S7 ~ G6)
Old 7th September 2017, 10:09   #26229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Here's an update on my mobile phone purchase for those with similar uncompromising beliefs regarding image quality:
• My personal requirement is for a phone with excellent audio (for my regular phone calls) and excellent camera for my child's photos.
○ I have to click candid photos and he never cooperates for a good photo
○ Thus ability to rapidly click near-sharp photos in low light is my deciding factor.
○ I don't care if the phone can take amazing landscape photos in low light since that is not what is memorable to me
• The current hype leader is 1+5
○ In a recent family dinner, I clicked photos of my 2 year old niece. The ~2 year old 6s could take clearly sharper photos in the same light where the 3T would struggle.
○ Given how the 9 month old phone stacks up to the 2 year old, I am done with 1+5.
○ Plus it is hard to find places to experience the phone before buying
• Among the other phones, the battle comes down solely to the S8 vs HTC U11 (yet to be tried):
○ My test case is my son jumping up and down or pirouetting. That is representative of the action shots I want to take
○ S7 - the phone is good, but the face is considerably blurry all the time.
○ S8 - takes the highest set of sharp photos among all the phones but the photos look a bit warm/dark compared to others (underexposed to increase shutter speed)
○ i7 - takes very good photos and when sharp, the photos look rather pleasing and more natural than S8. But less number of sharp photos
○ G6 - If my son is stable, it takes the most attractive photos by far - there is simply no comparison of the colors / sharpness. But if there's the slightest motion, the face especially is unusable.
Pixel - Again, very very nice photos, but the sharp # of photos is much lower than iPhone7 (S8> i7 ~ Pixel >> S7 ~ G6)
I guess you will struggle capturing consistently sharp photos of moving objects on any phone especially in low light situations. The safest bet would be to use the manual mode on the phone camera (uses Camera2 API) but it wouldn't be available as rapidly as a point and shoot Auto mode.

Last edited by pathik : 7th September 2017 at 10:11.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:57   #26230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Xiaomi MI A1
Moto G5s Plus
Both these phones seems to have almost same specs, as well as the prices (except MI A1 has a 1K off on mi.com).
Anyone with idea on finer prints?
Old 7th September 2017, 12:29   #26231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Both these phones seems to have almost same specs, as well as the prices (except MI A1 has a 1K off on mi.com).
Anyone with idea on finer prints?
Pro Moto G5s Plus:
- Separate slot for SD Card
- Splash resistance
- 8MP Secondary/front camera
- NFC
- Turbo charging

Pro Mi A1
- Compass
- FM , IR
- USB C
- rear camera with bigger pixel 1.25μm
- HD audio

In the end both are decent devices for that price.
Old 7th September 2017, 19:40   #26232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Best part is it will come with Google Android, no MIUI layer, no need of setting up MIUI account, reduced risk of data breach.
Well, isn't "pure android" a tad overrated? I think MIUI looks better and is much more usable than google's android. Yes, google's android is smoother and faster - but nothing a gig more of ram cannot fix - but lacks features. Gone are the touchwiz days when customized Android used to be bloated and filled with crapware.
Old 8th September 2017, 00:15   #26233
BHPian

Re: Night Mode display on K6 Power?

Is there a way to configure the 'night mode' to kick in automatically say between 7PM - 7AM on Lenovo K6 Power.

Now, I have to manually start and stop the same from the notifications draw down.

Please advise!!
Old 8th September 2017, 00:23   #26234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, isn't "pure android" a tad overrated? I think MIUI looks better and is much more usable than google's android. Yes, google's android is smoother and faster - but nothing a gig more of ram cannot fix - but lacks features. Gone are the touchwiz days when customized Android used to be bloated and filled with crapware.
If you are used to MiUi then your options with upgrade are limited as it means change in UI. With stock Android no matter which brand I buy the Android experience is the same (assuming the upgrade is a Moto or a OnePlus or anyone of the stock variants). So it just makes it easier to upgrade.
Plus it is lightweight - I have seen 2 to 3 generations old Moto that still works decently.
MiUi is not that heavy either, but why bother about changing to a new interface?
Then there are other smaller things like Chromecast support etc that just work really well on a stock Android.

Last edited by deep_bang : 8th September 2017 at 00:25.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:35   #26235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I guess you will struggle capturing consistently sharp photos of moving objects on any phone especially in low light situations. The safest bet would be to use the manual mode on the phone camera (uses Camera2 API) but it wouldn't be available as rapidly as a point and shoot Auto mode.
True. I'm mostly set on the S8 now.

My issue is that HTC is no longer selling at any store in India. I don't want to buy something for spec value and be stuck with a lemon. S8 is decent enough for me. I can't even get to test the damn device. God save me if the phone ever needed a service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks