Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2018, 08:29   #28351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I did some more digging on this topic and it seems like Samsung is pretty good with the security updates for their flagship phones. OS updates is another topic altogether.

According to SamMobile, Galaxy S-series, A-series and Note will get monthly security updates. And going by history, Samsung has provided these for 3 years for their top-end phones.

https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...h-end-of-life/

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2018 at 20:06. Reason: Minor typos.
Old 29th December 2018, 09:47   #28352
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a mobile phone reviewer among us or he is a TBHP follower?

Noticed in review by gizmoddit that he is opening TBHP pages multiple times.

Screenshot of the same

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181228212747.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181228212645.png

His YouTube channel

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st January 2019 at 13:24. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 29th December 2018, 14:11   #28353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
..There is Airwatch MDM installed on the phone which is a pre-requisite for corporate email access. So, it knows all details about the phone including security patch version and checks for all compliance factors continuously.
Yup, my organisation is also quite OCD and have enabled a similar overwatch product to its highest level. We have also banned official email on Huawei mobiles and are constantly assessing all brands for weaknesses.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th February 2019 at 13:56. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 1st January 2019, 09:58   #28354
BHPian

Got the Pie update on my OnePlus 5T. So this becomes the third Android OS running on my phone. Came with Nougat, got update to Oreo and now to Pie. Security patch is Dec 18. So far so good. Some minor changes in Pie that I don't like are the notification collapse on double swiping down the notification bar & the slightly glitchy recents tabs. The phone works as fast as it did on the first day. Battery life is still 24 hours with my average use.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pie.jpg

Cheers,

Pawan
Old 1st January 2019, 10:11   #28355
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup - only Samsung, Apple, Google phones were in the "allowed" list in my organization; other brand phones did not have the facility to install and setup the office mail and other tools. Recently OnePlus made to the list so thankfully I'm guessing the OP team have agreed on the security updates front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Yup, my organisation is also quite OCD and have enabled a similar overwatch product to its highest level. We have also banned official email on Huawei mobiles and are constantly assessing all brands for weaknesses.
Quote:
I did some more digging on this topic and it seems like Samsung is pretty good with the security updates for their flagship phones.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:41   #28356
Distinguished - BHPian

Some great deals again on the Note 9 on Amazon and Flipkart. Effective cost of the 128 gb version with exchange of my August'17 OP5 brings down the cost to only 47k with 9 month no cost EMI. Sounds very appealing :-)
Old 1st January 2019, 11:41   #28357
Senior - BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Got the Pie update on my OnePlus 5T. So this becomes the third Android OS running on my phone. Came with Nougat, got update to Oreo and now to Pie. Security patch is Dec 18. So far so good. Some minor changes in Pie that I don't like are the notification collapse on double swiping down the notification bar & the slightly glitchy recents tabs. The phone works as fast as it did on the first day. Battery life is still 24 hours with my average use.

Yes so far so good. However, previously I could add contact icons in the home screen and could call directly just by tapping it. This feature seems to be taken off since tapping the icon now opens the contact. Quite a bummer. Have you tried this?

P.S I have the exact same phone.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2019 at 13:44. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 1st January 2019, 12:01   #28358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Yes so far so good. However, previously I could add contact icons in the home screen and could call directly just by tapping it. This feature seems to be taken off since tapping the icon now opens the contact. Quite a bummer. Have you tried this?

Though my phone is different (Mi A1) compared to yours, this being an android feature, I am assuming that it will be same across the models. I recently got pie update and I can still see the option to add 'Direct Dial' through widgets. We have 3 options while adding a widget for Contacts, 'Direct Message', 'Direct Dial' and 'Contact'. Can you please check whether you still see these 3 options in your mobile?
Old 1st January 2019, 12:23   #28359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
previously I could add contact icons in the home screen and could call directly just by tapping it. This feature seems to be taken off since tapping the icon now opens the contact.
The Contacts app exposes three widgets. Of relevance are two - Contact and Direct Dial. I think you are using the Contact widget. You need to use the Direct Dial widget to be able to do what you want to do.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-whatsapp-image-20190101-12.19.58.jpeg
Old 1st January 2019, 14:36   #28360
BHPian

Quote:

As explained above, adding as direct dial works with Pie on OP5T. Infact, I never used this nifty feature. Shall use it from now.
Old 1st January 2019, 15:11   #28361
Senior - BHPian

Yessss. Thank you so much guys. Got it activated.

Happy New Year to you all.
Old 1st January 2019, 17:22   #28362
BHPian

Got myself Moto X4 64 GB / 6 gigs version for 8.5 k around . I hope it's a good deal . 13k was actually the price in FK and with my Moto turbo helping to further negate it by 4.5 k . It has come loaded with Oreo and hope to get updated to my Pie share ! X4 is very fast ( having used a IP6 and SE recently ) . I don't see many reviews here in TBHP :-( though I searched the pages from this thread from the time this phone was launched , still couldn't find many ! Let me know any of you using this phone. Happy new year 2019 to all
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:29   #28363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is Airwatch MDM installed on the phone which is a pre-requisite for corporate email access.
I just took a look at this Airwatch. At least going by the permissions it needs, it seems to be something I wouldn't let anywhere near my phone. Does your company allow employees to say "no thanks, I don't want corporate email access on my phone"?
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:45   #28364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I just took a look at this Airwatch. At least going by the permissions it needs, it seems to be something I wouldn't let anywhere near my phone. Does your company allow employees to say "no thanks, I don't want corporate email access on my phone"?
It is not uncommon that the security applications that corporates want installed on mobile could well breach into ones privacy. The permissions that many of them want include having device administration privileges. They want access to all media, location, phone calls, SMS and whatever else. I chose not to have my corporate mail on my phone and uninstalled the security application as well.

The security app has however left something behind that causes my phone to come up with a message that reads "though the password is correct, unable to decrypt the phone" when he phone has a password to unlock, and it has been restarted. I have to necessarily remove any security that I have to unlock the phone before it is restarted. If for some reason it's not done, I have had to reset the phone and have it restore from the backup.

If corporates want to have their employees on a leash, it's best to have them provide a device and not have them infringe into personal devices.

Old 2nd January 2019, 09:15   #28365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
As explained above, adding as direct dial works with Pie on OP5T. Infact, I never used this nifty feature. Shall use it from now.
Quote:
Yessss. Thank you so much guys. Got it activated.
Just a head-up to you guys, One plus 5/5T got bug fix 9.0.1.
Fixed some issues, might affect you also.
I am holding back update to pie, because lack of Dolby Atmos porting on pie.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks