Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 13:53   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

I am in the market for a tab. Its for my Dad. Please guide a noob in his purchase

Requirement:

Purely to surf the net. Nothing else. Maybe on few rare occasions, a couple of videos.

Looking for a wi-fi model. Don't need calling facility.

Budget : The lesser the better.

I just borrowed my cousin's Mistashi Play BE 200 for a couple of days. The 9" display is big enough to surf and read on the net. But the 512 ram is a big let down. The tab lags a lot. The tab must have at least 1GB ram.

Thanks a lot :-)
Old 8th September 2013, 15:29   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I am in the market for a tab. Its for my Dad. Please guide a noob in his purchase

Requirement:

Purely to surf the net. Nothing else. Maybe on few rare occasions, a couple of videos.

I just borrowed my cousin's Mistashi Play BE 200 for a couple of days. The 9" display is big enough to surf and read on the net. But the 512 ram is a big let down. The tab lags a lot. The tab must have at least 1GB ram.

Sticking to the brands, my suggestion would be one of the below three.

Lenovo A1000 - cheapest, good for your needs, has 2g and calling facility, no camera. Costs around 9k.
Lenovo A2107 - dual sim, 3g, but without calling facility, probably slower of the lot with single core processor. Costs around 9k.
Samsung P3110 - Should be a perfect fit for your needs. Costs around 10k.
Old 8th September 2013, 16:01   #1323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post

Lenovo A1000 - cheapest, good for your needs, has 2g and calling facility, no camera. Costs around 9k.
Lenovo A2107 - dual sim, 3g, but without calling facility, probably slower of the lot with single core processor. Costs around 9k.
Are 7" tabs good enough for browsing? Anyway, I am looking for a tablet without calling facility, without camera - any good suggestions in and around 10k?
Old 8th September 2013, 16:27   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post

I was considering the 2012 Nexus 7". How good is the tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are 7" tabs good enough for browsing? Anyway, I am looking for a tablet without calling facility, without camera - any good suggestions in and around 10k?
2012 Nexus 7" for 12K on amazon.in
Old 8th September 2013, 18:28   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
If not for extended hours, I feel more comfortable browsing on 7" tab. They are easier to hold and carry, lighter, and better for thumb typing. Resolution also matters, the lower end tabs with 800x480 resolution are not as comfortable as the tabs with higher resolution. On a tab with 800x480 resolution, you see much smaller part of a page and it needs lot of scrolling. On a higher resolution screen, you see almost as much as you would on a desktop and then double tap to zoom to required area.

Quote:
I was considering the 2012 Nexus 7". How good is the tab?

2012 Nexus 7" for 12K on amazon.in
At 12k, Nexus 7" is a much better option. Being a Google product, it should also receive updates in the OS much before others. You will miss things like expandable memory and camera which are anyway not important for you.
Old 9th September 2013, 21:23   #1326
BHPian

Has anyone used the kindle tablet, I need one for the kids, Ipad is too expensive need a good alternate, any reviews?
Old 9th September 2013, 23:59   #1327
BHPian

I just bought the nexus 7 from amazon a couple of days ago the tab is working brilliantly. I love the display and the way the processor simply devours heavy games. But I am facing an issue with the charger. lets see how effective google/Asus service is.I highly recommend the nexus 7.
Old 10th September 2013, 00:59   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If by browsing you mean reading on various websites, A resounding yes provided it has higher resolution. Nexus 7 old one had 1280x800 which was good enough for a 7" to read easily. With the new one, its even better.

Any other media consumption and it gets small very easily. I have a 5" phone, so 7" in tablet feels small. May be 8" or 10.1" works good.

For your use, Nexus 7 (2012) was Rs. 12k is a great option. Trust me, if you are buying other tabs with lower resolution, you won't enjoy browsing. Been there, done that.
Old 10th September 2013, 06:45   #1329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
For your use, Nexus 7 (2012) was Rs. 12k is a great option. Trust me, if you are buying other tabs with lower resolution, you won't enjoy browsing. Been there, done that.
So if I buy a 9" or 10" tablet - what resolution should I look for?
Old 10th September 2013, 06:55   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if I buy a 9" or 10" tablet - what resolution should I look for?
atleast 1280x800 or above. The higher the better for browsing, ebooks and stuff. Also, videos will look good too.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:05   #1331
BANNED

Their Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for 22K seems to be perfect for my requirements. I would have bought it except that it doesn't work with Google Play Store without rooting.
Amazon is a stupid company, I think, if they don't understand that Software sells hardware and not the other way round.

Anyway, what are people's opinion of this - http://www.flipkart.com/huawei-media...BDH5FNCGPEQMPM

I am basically looking for 9+" tablet with a budget of around 20K give or take a little. There are very few tablets in this range.

For me, only the tablet is important. I don't care if it doesn't have even a single camera. Don't care for 3G etc.

Last edited by carboy : 11th September 2013 at 10:11.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:54   #1332
BHPian

Quote:

Requirement:

I picked up an Acer Iconia B1 last month for the same purpose. If you dont mind the 7" screen it's quite good. Has expandable memory via SD slot, no SIM card - WiFi only. Paid 8K at Reliance Digital. Good value for money.
Old 11th September 2013, 14:37   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am basically looking for 9+" tablet with a budget of around 20K give or take a little. There are very few tablets in this range.

For me, only the tablet is important. I don't care if it doesn't have even a single camera. Don't care for 3G etc.
@carboy:
Here is the list of tablets that I have used:
1. Samsung Note 10.1 (Purchased new for 28K for the missus; 10.1" screen; 1280 x 800 pixels)
2. Blackberry Playbook (Pre-owned; purchased for my son for educational videos/ movies; 7" screen)
3. Motorola Xoom (Pre-owned; purchased for my dad - mainly browsing, video chat; 10.1" screen 1280x800 pixels)

Other than these, I have used Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and Tab 3 (7" screens)

Having used these for quite some time, I can say:
1. For browsing, go with 10" screen (perhaps 9" from Apple is good as well).
2. Go for a bluetooth keyboard so that it is easier to type, since you want to surf the Internet.
3. Front facing camera is a nice thing to have -when you want to start video chatting.
4. Rear camera is also nice to have - when you quickly want to take some snaps and send across via email to someone.

Just like there is no replacement for displacement in the car world, I would say, nothing beats a fast CPU and a big battery inside a tablet. In my view these are more important than the screen resolution.

For example, Note 10.1 is still on Android 4.1.1 (or 4.1.2) and rock solid. Nothing has ever crashed and the response time is just as it should be. This is just due to the quad-core CPU running inside. In addition to this the battery life is very good - you can keep browsing for a couple of days if you wish to.

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th September 2013 at 14:41.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:59   #1334
BHPian

I am looking for a tablet, mainly for browsing purposes and occasional gaming. However, I would also like the tab to have better specs so that it lasts atleast 2 years. Currently, I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8 inches and the Galaxy Note 510 8 inches. The Tab 3 comes for around 24k while the Note 510 about 29k. I am leaning more towards the Tab 3, however, looking at the specs of the Note 8.0 (Quad core and 2gb RAM), it seems to be the one that would perform better and last longer. I am sold on the 8 inch screen size, which strikes the right balance between portability and usability.

Does anyone own the Tab 3 8.0? If yes, how is the performance? Is it worth paying an additional 5k for the note?

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 13th September 2013 at 09:01.
Old 13th September 2013, 22:15   #1335
Distinguished - BHPian

Just wondering, is it possible to split the screen and run 2 different programs at the same time on Nexus 7? Say, like running apps like Torque and Sygic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks