Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 17:42   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Replaced the front right axle rubber boot (differential side) of my alto (800 cc) last week. Part cost Rs 477 (Bought by me from Popular MGP shop). Labour charge 250 from an independant garage. Total = Rs 727. I guess one would need to pay around Rs 1000 for this, if getting services at a MASS.
The cost is attrocious, I would say, for an entry level car.
Old 14th July 2014, 23:18   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

I have heard that Sai Service rips you.
You have heard, I have experienced it first hand! Here is the related thread. It was quite some learning experience.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 01:57   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

I still believe that Marutis are the cheapest to service in MASS. Infact dealer owned workshops are much more expensive, which blemishes Maruti's image as far as service is concerned.

My 15 year and 2.3 lac kms done 800 DX 5 speed needed some work along with a much needed service. The following jobs were done.
1. Throttle body cleaning- It was really required and a lot of accumulation was found.
2. Engine Oil Change
3. Coolant change
4. Gear oil change
5. Brake Oil change
6. Brakes cleaning and caliper greasing
7. Wiper change
8. Boot's hydraulic support changed
9. Rear boot rubber beading changed.
10. Rear Bumper was banged by an Old man and he agreed to pay for it
11. Some tuning done to eradicate idling issues
12. Underbody anti rust coating
13. Silencer change

I first asked my neighborhood dealer about the estimate- He gave me an estimate of about 19k. For the benefit of Ranchi's BHPians, this dealer was Premsons' Kanke Road workshop.
I took my car to Maruti Automobiles which is a MASS. The net amount which they charged me was Rs.9,900 only. Out of which the old gentleman paid Rs.800 for the bumper. A staggering difference of 10k bucks!!!

Added advantage was that I was allowed to stand near my car. Plus the staff was extremely courteous and extremely knowledgeable, and they never pushed me for any extra service. Everything done was my decision. This incident is of July 2013. Since then, I have always visited them and I am one happy customer.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:35   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I still believe that Marutis are the cheapest to service in MASS. Infact dealer owned workshops are much more expensive, which blemishes Maruti's image as far as service is concerned.

Added advantage was that I was allowed to stand near my car. Plus the staff was extremely courteous and extremely knowledgeable, and they never pushed me for any extra service. Everything done was my decision. This incident is of July 2013. Since then, I have always visited them and I am one happy customer.
Bang on. I had a same experience with my Alto back in 2009. For my 20,000kms service at Kalyani motors Bangalore they gave me an estimate of rs 9,000. I followed the owners manual bought all the parts from a MGP dealer and got all the work done by a local trusted mechanic at JC road. My total expense including all was rs 4,300!

What i say is never listen to the service executives at Maruti service station. They get incentives if they can achieve a certain monthly target just like the sales/accessory department. So they are always hell bent to exploit the customers. When the car is under warranty these guys will give 1000's of reason explaining why you do not have to change the parts. Once the warranty is over they will give you 1000's of reason to why you should change the same parts! Just follow the owners manual and strictly instruct them to follow it. Not a single extra work to be done if your car is not suffering from any problem. Once the warranty period is over get hold of a good trusted mechanic and get the work outside and use genuine Maruti spares. This kept my car trouble free and reliable with least maintenance cost.

Last edited by Samba : 15th July 2014 at 12:36.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:49   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

What i say is never listen to the service executives at Maruti service station. They get incentives if they can achieve a certain monthly target just like the sales/accessory department. So they are always hell bent to exploit the customers.
The Dealer workshop near my house is known to give a fixed percent of the amount we pay, to the SA. So the more he makes us pay, the more benefits he gets. This is one practice which should be abolished. This is what makes dealer owned workshops too expensive. On the other hand, MASS in my city are way cheaper. Of course the FNG's are even more inexpensive, but I prefer to leave my car in experienced hands rather than taking chances. There are not many good FNG's in my city.
My experience at Dealers workshop is very bad. The moment someone parks his/her car in their booking area, a SA comes up and makes a bill of atleast 5k without even asking you. Those extras include- Engine lacquer, teflon, windshield coating and a whole lot of coatings and additives, as if I have brought my car for a makeup, rather than a service. After they have properly inflated the estimate, they ask you about the issues with the car. I feel like shouting to them, but then again I keep my cool and politely make them strike off the extras.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:57   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Except for a few rip-offs, quite ironically to the thread title, most of the posts in the thread off late point that maintaining your Maruti at a MASS is still very reasonable. The cost has surely gone north in the past few years, but comparing to the competition, they are still very reasonable.

I always take my car to a MASS, never to a dealer owned authorized workshop, as I have been very happy with the level of service I get at MASS(s). I have never been pushed for any job at MASS in my entire ownership period of my present car, which is about 12 years now.

Though, I have seen many dealers pushing for Teflon coats, underbody coating for a new car and stuff like these which are unnecessary. With some caution and common sense, you can still drive and maintain a Maruti cheap I guess.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:19   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Except for a few rip-offs, quite ironically to the thread title, most of the posts in the thread off late point that maintaining your Maruti at a MASS is still very reasonable. The cost has surely gone north in the past few years, but comparing to the competition, they are still very reasonable.

I always take my car to a MASS, never to a dealer owned authorized workshop, as I have been very happy with the level of service I get at MASS(s). I have never been pushed for any job at MASS in my entire ownership period of my present car, which is about 12 years now.

Though, I have seen many dealers pushing for Teflon coats, underbody coating for a new car and stuff like these which are unnecessary. With some caution and common sense, you can still drive and maintain a Maruti cheap I guess.

Which MASS do you visit and recommend ?? And can we have a list of good places for car service, wheel alignment, etc at Ranchi in our Directory?? I would have posted some, but being a newbie I am not permitted to post in that section.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:29   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
With some caution and common sense, you can still drive and maintain a Maruti cheap I guess.
+1 to this. Whole heartedly agree with you.

I have written to Sai Service with cc to contact@maruti.co.in asking them about this huge disparity in labour costs for service centers located less than 30 km away from each other. Lets see what explanation they have to offer (if any).
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:38   #399
BHPian

As folks have pointed out on this thread, 'cheap' Maruti service is a myth from the M800 days, but the pricing is not so bad compared with the market rates.

I am more concerned about the quality, it seems like every time I give my car for service, they break something or do something in carelessness that requires me to go back in the next day to get it fixed.
Old 15th July 2014, 13:43   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Which MASS do you visit and recommend ?? And can we have a list of good places for car service, wheel alignment, etc at Ranchi in our Directory?? I would have posted some, but being a newbie I am not permitted to post in that section.
I take my car to Poddar motors, Kokar Industrial area. The SA there, Mr. Farukh & Mr. Aslam are immensely knowledgeable and good at diagnosing problems. They never push extra stuff and even strike off things I want to change, if they feel that it is not necessary.

Regarding posting to the directory, I think that the directory rules prohibit posting about ASCs.

Last edited by saket77 : 15th July 2014 at 13:53.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 20:19   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I have written to Sai Service with cc to contact@maruti.co.in asking them about this huge disparity in labour. Lets see what explanation they have to offer (if any).
I got the following reply from Territorial Service Manager, Maruti:

Dear Mr. xyz,

We regret the experience you have had and assure you that the services rendered to you in the future will be to your satisfaction.

We have already taken up with issue with appropriate authorities at the said dealer and have rectified the discrepancies.

I have also been told that the excess amount has been refunded to you by the said dealer.

For your information the labor charges for caliper greasing for swift in Mumbai is 473/-.(Without taxes)( The labor rates mentioned in your mail may be before the latest revision)

The labor rates will vary depending on class of city and model of vehicle since these rates are fixed on the basis of a time study done for the said job on the specific models.

In case you need any further help please feel free to contact me.

That was quite quick. A difference of 100 ₹ is still understandable. Difference of 330 was not justifiable in any way. God knows how many customers were overcharged by Sai service. Moreover, I do not trust them now. Who knows where else they might be over charging in this manner?
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 20:39   #402
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
God knows how many customers were overcharged by Sai service. Moreover, I do not trust them now. Who knows where else they might be over charging in this manner?
Since you know the car and have a technical edge you are opposing to this and writing a mail BUT the normal person will believe Maruti and his SA. They'll pay the bill and walk-out.

Though it is sad that Sai Service is looting us by overcharging but the thing that makes me further angry is, Why Maruti is not looking into the issues reported against Sai Service or are these the real rates issued by Maruti?! Either way fault lies with Maruti.

How some sense dawns there.

Anurag.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:21   #403
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since you know the car and have a technical edge you are opposing to this and writing a mail BUT the normal person will believe Maruti and his SA. They'll pay the bill and walk-out.

Though it is sad that Sai Service is looting us by overcharging but the thing that makes me further angry is, Why Maruti is not looking into the issues reported against Sai Service or are these the real rates issued by Maruti?! Either way fault lies with Maruti.

How some sense dawns there.

Anurag.
The simple reason behind not taking any serious action on Sai service is the humongous amount of volume that they bring to MS in the form of service. They are MS biggest service chain. So are their volumes and revenue generated.

I personally seen, MS often tries to take some action but when Sai service management fires back, the reaction is neutral. And Sai service never returns the money back to customer. I am the example for it, who paid 1K as deposit for Power window motor which was replaced in 3 months of car purchase. Part was replaced but the deposit amount paid wasn't returned till date.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:41   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

I personally seen, MS often tries to take some action but when Sai service management fires back, the reaction is neutral. And Sai service never returns the money back to customer. I am the example for it, who paid 1K as deposit for Power window motor which was replaced in 3 months of car purchase. Part was replaced but the deposit amount paid wasn't returned till date.
Why would you pay a deposit for a warranty replacement? that too on a 3 month old car
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 13:22   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I am the example for it, who paid 1K as deposit for Power window motor which was replaced in 3 months of car purchase. Part was replaced but the deposit amount paid wasn't returned till date.
I Second Captain Slow. Shall you please elaborate on the exact nature of the deposit?

In my case, Sai Service did refund the charges for unwanted work which they had carried out. But I suspect that was more due to the fact that the incident was posted on Team-BHP. If not, I think their tone would have been a lot different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks