Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 13:58   #166
BHPian

Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Looks like yet another facelift like they did it for Liva. Question is for Liva they wanted to get some numbers but Innova already has a decent wait list and has been quite a seller for some many years. Wonder whats the logic then?
Old 28th September 2012, 14:49   #167
Senior - BHPian

This is same not just for Liva, but, Corolla Aero is also based on G version. They seem to forget the safety features, viz - Airbags & ABS, on the Aero & claim they are providing features worth lacs for thousands to their customers. Actually many of these features can be had from market at almost same price as the hike in the price of variant to which they add these features.
Old 28th September 2012, 23:22   #168
BANNED

I just don't understand Toyota! Why on earth would you add spoilers and skirts and launch a limited edition variant! That too, on an MUV. One can understand if they did that to a sedan and called it 'sport'. Unlike the Innovas until 2011, where most owners added rear spoilers almost as if it was a mandatory fitting, most 2012 Innovas can be seen without them since they look equally good without them.

It would have made sense if they added leather seats, roof top DVD players, moulded antenna, alloy wheels etc. instead. Although those are picks from the accessory list as well, they are seen an those worth differentiating a 'limited edition'!

Anyway, all the best Aero!
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:17   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Moreover, our car also had some sort of recall. Under this recall, our steering shaft and/or yoke was changed. Since first day, I felt some play or rather not even steering movement. This was confirmed by Toyota and quitely this was changed in several Innovas.
Will you know which batch had the recall? And how did you come to know of it? I do not think I feel any problem with the steering though (some of this, we do get used to with regular driving; so not sure). Surely will get that clarified at the next service which is coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
We recently had a crash where our Innova rear ended a Wagon R.
Sorry to hear that. No doubt the replacements and restoration would be expensive, but my friend had a rather unusual experience between two service outlets in Bangalore where a 48K quote from one (mostly replacements) turned out to be a 7K work (mostly repairs) at the other. Of course, there could be arguments on safety aspects on replacements Vs repairs. But he got it done at the latter as mostly it was a fender + right side panel job.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:59   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
my friend had a rather unusual experience between two service outlets in Bangalore where a 48K quote from one (mostly replacements) turned out to be a 7K work (mostly repairs) at the other.
I'm keen to know which was the 7k dealership. Right now I'm getting my car serviced at Ravindu (since I bought it from them). Have some front bumper touchup work and one small dent in the lower left corner of the front bumper that I want to get fixed. Will go to the 7k dealer.
Old 9th October 2012, 21:26   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
I'm keen to know which was the 7k dealership. Right now I'm getting my car serviced at Ravindu (since I bought it from them). Have some front bumper touchup work and one small dent in the lower left corner of the front bumper that I want to get fixed. Will go to the 7k dealer.
Well, actually my friend found that out by chance because the first dealer he went to, did not have a cashless insurance processing. So he opted the other one where he had to drive across the city. But yes, when he learnt that it is going to be only 7K, he paid that from his pocket.

Hope you will post the details of your repairs here. Would be helpful for me as I too have some nice little gifts on the front and rear fenders from our very friendly biker friends of Bangalore roads.
Old 24th October 2012, 14:38   #172
BHPian

Hmmm.It seems Innova is going the erstwhile Hero honda way !! Just like they launched so called upgraded versions of splendour or passion,passion +, passion pro,etc etc without doing anything for the engine,doing away with just stickering,painting jobs. And the similarity continues in the large selling nos and reliability too. Both the engines are underpowered today and still will run miles and miles without any issues.Have these Japs traded each other this success formula ? Why cant toyota wake up the real world situation of the premium innova? Leave alone the engine being undertuned, the diesel GX version @15 lac OTR lakes even basic things like MID,Fog lamps kind-of useful additions !! (just happened to see this in brochure and was shocked).But anyways,its one class of a MPV .
Old 25th October 2012, 15:32   #173
BHPian

Or even better, if they introduced the much needed Automatic Transmission to this MUV and made it look like a Owner driven car instead of a Taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
I just don't understand Toyota! Why on earth would you add spoilers and skirts and launch a limited edition variant! That too, on an MUV. One can understand if they did that to a sedan and called it 'sport'. Unlike the Innovas until 2011, where most owners added rear spoilers almost as if it was a mandatory fitting, most 2012 Innovas can be seen without them since they look equally good without them.

It would have made sense if they added leather seats, roof top DVD players, moulded antenna, alloy wheels etc. instead. Although those are picks from the accessory list as well, they are seen an those worth differentiating a 'limited edition'!

Anyway, all the best Aero!
Old 8th November 2012, 20:29   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
Or even better, if they introduced the much needed Automatic Transmission to this MUV and made it look like a Owner driven car instead of a Taxi.
I hate them for not having done that - they changed both the Innova and the Fortuner in 2012, but added the Auto Box only to the Fortuner, and NOT Innova.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:13   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
We are again looking for a long distance car & the Innova AT would have fitted our requirements to a "T". The Toyota chaps seem to be falling into a sort of trap of their own making. Overpriced vehicles were ok when there was no alternative. If they don't upgrade their line up the Mahindra/Ssangyong & Hyundai will start eating them for breakfast, lunch & dinner with free snacks on the way!!
Old 9th November 2012, 11:59   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
We are again looking for a long distance car & the Innova AT would have fitted our requirements to a "T". The Toyota chaps seem to be falling into a sort of trap of their own making. Overpriced vehicles were ok when there was no alternative. If they don't upgrade their line up the Mahindra/Ssangyong & Hyundai will start eating them for breakfast, lunch & dinner with free snacks on the way!!
But is there an alternative to the Innova even now. If you are a family of 6 and you need a long distance cruiser, what choices do you have? Innova is far superior to Xylo, Aria or XUV doesnt seat 6 in comfort and Evalia is ugly. Plus none of the above can match Innova's finnesse and reliability.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 14:05   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
But is there an alternative to the Innova even now. If you are a family of 6 and you need a long distance cruiser, what choices do you have? Innova is far superior to Xylo, Aria or XUV doesnt seat 6 in comfort and Evalia is ugly. Plus none of the above can match Innova's finnesse and reliability.
Am I missing something here? I've personally travelled in a Xylo and Aria, both fully packed and it was extremely comfortable! We didn't miss the Innova's seating one bit in either of these cars! And what do you mean by finesse and reliability? If you mean reliability in terms of mileage, I can personally show you Xylos that have run 3 lac plus kilometres without an overhaul. Also, the fact that the Xylo and Aria is available at nearly 50% of the Innova's price makes it a good deal! I give in to the fact that Innova is a good MPV but anything beyond that is mere hype. Things have changed these 7 years since Innova was launched and there are more worthy competitors who don't milk customers of their money like Toyota.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:57   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Am I missing something here? I've personally travelled in a Xylo and Aria, both fully packed and it was extremely comfortable! We didn't miss the Innova's seating one bit in either of these cars! .
Well, I have a different opinion. In Xylo, the body control is very less compared to the Innova and it causes a lot of fatigue on long drives. Also, despite the better leg space in the last row, the dreary interiors and body sway make the travel less comfortable, even in the last row, especially over long rides. My kids threw up couple of times on the way once we hired one as a taxi.

Quote:
And what do you mean by finesse and reliability? If you mean reliability in terms of mileage, I can personally show you Xylos that have run 3 lac plus kilometres without an overhaul.
For finesse, check out the plastics (look, feel, white lines, scratches etc), rattles, functional failures in a three year old 1 lakh km+ Innova and compare to a Xylo with similar age. Over a randomised sample, you will get your answeer.

On reliability, many Xylo's can be proved to be reliable AFTER they have done three lakhs kms...However, almost every Innova is proven to be reliable even BEFORE they have rolled out of the showroom. Do I see a difference - I pretty much do!

Quote:
Also, the fact that the Xylo and Aria is available at nearly 50% of the Innova's price makes it a good deal! I give in to the fact that Innova is a good MPV but anything beyond that is mere hype. Things have changed these 7 years since Innova was launched and there are more worthy competitors who don't milk customers of their money like Toyota.
Do you mean models with similar specs are available @ 50% of Innova's price?

And before you put Aria into the picture, have you done test drives and tried sitting in the last row? I have done a few extensive TDs and the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. Do you still think it is a 8 seater?

Innova costs more than the Corolla in nearly every geography it sells in, barring India, where it is actually priced lower. While still expensive, it is not a people mover but more of an upmarlet UV. The reliability alone is worth the extra premium IMHO

There is a reason the value conscious taxi segment purchases Innova day in and day out. And there is a reason Innova sales are up nearly 50-80% (YoY) even seven years after its launch. ...go figure!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 9th November 2012 at 16:03.
Old 9th November 2012, 16:46   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Well, I have a different opinion. In Xylo, the body control is very less compared to the Innova and it causes a lot of fatigue on long drives. Also, despite the better leg space in the last row, the dreary interiors and body sway make the travel less comfortable, even in the last row, especially over long rides. My kids threw up couple of times on the way once we hired one as a taxi.
Agreed there is body roll in the Xylo. But my point was in answering seating 6 people in comfort. Have you travelled in an Aria? I'm no fan of Aria, or Tata, but I was bowled over by its space and comfort. Just a case in point: the last row in my Ertiga is more comfortable to seat 2 people than an Innova. Having said all these, I'm NOT taking away what Innova stands for: robustness, reliability and comfort. But, projecting Innova as the only MPV that stands for the above mentioned qualities is a bit of a stretch. I'm not even taking the time here to talk about the type of interiors that Innova offers for the asking price!

Quote:
For finesse, check out the plastics (look, feel, white lines, scratches etc), rattles, functional failures in a three year old 1 lakh km+ Innova and compare to a Xylo with similar age. Over a randomised sample, you will get your answeer.
Again, agreed the plastics are good and well put together. But does that justify the premium Toyota charges? Have you been in a Skoda Yeti that's similarly priced to the Innova? Check out the plastics in that.

Quote:
On reliability, many Xylo's can be proved to be reliable AFTER they have done three lakhs kms...However, almost every Innova is proven to be reliable even BEFORE they have rolled out of the showroom. Do I see a difference - I pretty much do!
Honestly I didn't get what you mean here!? Reliable even before they have rolled out of the showroom? So you don't do a PDI if you're buying an Innova?

Quote:
Do you mean models with similar specs are available @ 50% of Innova's price?
Yes, the top end of Xylo costs 9.5 lac in Chennai. The top end of Innova costs 17 lac in Chennai. Have I mentioned the feature list of top end of Xylo compared to the top end of Innova? Go figure!

Quote:
And before you put Aria into the picture, have you done test drives and tried sitting in the last row? I have done a few extensive TDs and the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. Do you still think it is a 8 seater?
If you read my post, I've clearly mentioned that I've travelled in either of these vehicles. No, I have not driven them but we are talking seating 6 people in comfort here and I know for a fact, they (Xylo, Aria) do!

Quote:
Innova costs more than the Corolla in nearly every geography it sells in, barring India, where it is actually priced lower. While still expensive, it is not a people mover but more of an upmarlet UV. The reliability alone is worth the extra premium IMHO
In a cost sensitive market like India, the fact that Innova is cheaper than Corolla is a very poor sales pitch! May I ask what is upmarket about the Innova? Leather interiors? Lounge lighting like the XUV? Classy dashboard with MID in the instrument cluster? Auto-fold mirrors? Just one look at that all grey interior tells you this vehicle began its life as a truck. Utilitarian? Yes! Upmarket? No! Don't believe me? Check out the gear stick for starters or the 1970's pull-out type radiio antenna!

Quote:
There is a reason the value conscious taxi segment purchases Innova day in and day out. And there is a reason Innova sales are up nearly 50-80% (YoY) even seven years after its launch. ...go figure!
True, Toyota holds a certain premium image in India and the taxi market is no different. The Toyota badge makes them charge that bit more from a travelling customer. As I already mentioned, I'm in NO way taking away the best bits of buying an Innova. But are there alternatives that a "non brand snob" buyer can look into? Definitely, yes!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 9th November 2012 at 16:52.
Old 9th November 2012, 20:26   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The trouble is neither the Innova or the alternatives have an AT gearbox. So looks like we will be having a 5 seater SUV AT gearbox as the Long Distance tourer. Only thing is all the alternatives are 25L+ and that is just not affordable now. Maybe we will go the second hand route.l
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks