Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 20:14   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

IAB checks out the Ecosport in Geneva auto show and provides these inputs
Quote:
The way the doors open and close feels pretty good. It feels just the way the new Fiesta does in terms of overall build.

Doors opened, we moved in to the drivers seats. The seating position feels fine and if you adjust the seats and the steering, the visibility outside is quite good as well.

In terms of interior plastic quality, it is certainly short of Volkswagen levels. Some bits and pieces like the interior door handle feel well executed in design, but fall short on quality.

The instrument cluster and the dashboard is identical to the Fiesta.

Moving on to the rear seats, the legroom can only be termed as ‘decent’ – it isn’t all that great, neither is it all that bad either for a sub 4 meter vehicle. If we were to give you a comparison for the rear legroom, the Swift Dzire seems to be the ideal match.

The boot is pretty big and the lateral door is employs hydraulic arms to open and shut.
Details:: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/03/f...nteriors-66691

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th March 2013 at 20:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 23:08   #3047
Senior - BHPian

IAB's review has highlighted one important point that's been my gut feeling - poor rear legroom! In fact there's hardly any room for a supposed SUV! In comparison, the Dzire's legroom isn't a benchmark either! Have been suggesting the EcoSport for my cousin who is 6+ feet and is always chauffeur driven. This breaks the deal for an EcoSport for him! The pictures tell the sad story of a sub 4 metre leg room. Any idea if there is a seat slide option? Otherwise, waiting for the EcoSport is pointless in my case.
Old 7th March 2013, 23:15   #3048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
IAB's review has highlighted one important point that's been my gut feeling - poor rear legroom! In fact there's hardly any room for a supposed SUV! In comparison, the Dzire's legroom isn't a benchmark either! Have been suggesting the EcoSport for my cousin who is 6+ feet and is always chauffeur driven. This breaks the deal for an EcoSport for him! The pictures tell the sad story of a sub 4 metre leg room. Any idea if there is a seat slide option? Otherwise, waiting for the EcoSport is pointless in my case.
Though the space is in the same range, Ecosport might "feel" to be a better spacious car. In sedans & hatches, most of the second row seating is such that your knees point upwards in a slightly diagonal manner.

But in Ecosport, due to it's supposedly higher seating position (such that the thighs & knees are at 90 degrees while seated), knees should be in a parallel position (and not rest upwards). If the rear seats have good thigh support, the space might prove to be adequate for a 6 ft guy.

Also from some reports, the rear seats are reclining (hopefully Indian models too) and this might add to the extra comfort. I suggest you don't write off the car yet; have a check and take a call.

Edit:: Frankly the "pretty big" boot comment from IAB has surprised me quite a bit, in a nice way.

Edit 2:: Tried this, just for fun to narrate what I think about Ecosport seating compared to hatches / sedans where we sit low! It's a speculation though!

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-seating.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th March 2013 at 23:29. Reason: Added "Edit" & "Edit 2" portions
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 23:23   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Though the space is in the same range, Ecosport might "feel" to be a better spacious car. In sedans & hatches, most of the second row seating is such that your knees point upwards in a slightly diagonal manner.

But in Ecosport, due to it's supposedly higher seating position (such that the thighs & knees are at 90 degrees while seated), knees should be in a parallel position (and not rest upwards). If the rear seats have good thigh support, the space might prove to be adequate for a 6 ft guy.

Edit:: Frankly the "pretty big" boot comment from IAB has surprised me quite a bit.
I can see your point, due to a higher seating position, provided the Ecosport has better under-thigh support. From this picture, the under-thigh support seems to be lacking. I'm ready to give this picture the benefit-of-the-doubt given the camera angle and other parameters. I also wonder about the position of the front passenger seat in this pic - is it mid way or pushed all the way to the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportgenevamotorshow4.jpg  

swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 23:51   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Is there any information if Ford will offer AT version for the EcoSport here as and when it is launched?

A relation of mine is relocating to Bangalore soon from US and they would be in the market for a car. I think the Ecosport will suit them fine but that AT is compulsory.

Edit: OK I guess the AT is there. Ford India website says Hill Launch Assist feature is there in automatic version only. Thats great.

Last edited by joslicx : 7th March 2013 at 23:56.
Old 8th March 2013, 07:54   #3051
Team-BHP Support

More than the aesthetics and space, I am more keen to see how much of safety features will get into the Ecosport. The last launch from Ford (Fiesta AT) had Electronic Stability Control (ESP) as a standard on both variants.
Hope Ford will continue to do the same with the Ecosport, and bring in something new for the segment.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:02   #3052
Senior - BHPian

In an interview to a leading National Daily, Ford India's MD Mr. Singh says that the Ecosport is unlikely to be affected by the recent Excise duty hike.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130308_090720.png
Views: 4784
Size:  253.5 KB

Source: The Hindu

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th March 2013 at 13:50. Reason: As requested.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:12   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
I can see your point, due to a higher seating position, provided the Ecosport has better under-thigh support. From this picture, the under-thigh support seems to be lacking. I'm ready to give this picture the benefit-of-the-doubt given the camera angle and other parameters. I also wonder about the position of the front passenger seat in this pic - is it mid way or pushed all the way to the back.

The front seats are in ex stream position, if you can see they are way beyond the pillars and hiding the part of door openers in the rear. I feel leg space is much decent than what one can interpret by the pictures. I also feel ford is playing with back bench according to country, boot space offered in Brazil, India and China differ.

So, we can only judge with indian spec for rear bench legroom.
bageherath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 11:16   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Deliveries will start in end May-June.
In April 2nd-3rd week dealer proprietors from across the country are being invited to Chennai for a "touch-feel-test drive-feedback" before inventories are despatched to them.
This feedback is from a dealer proprietor.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 13:19   #3055
Team-BHP Support

I really like the wheels on that blue EcoSport (Geneva Motor Show) display car. Do you think we'll get those here, at least as an option? According to the report, the car falls short in terms of quality. The car does look good in pictures though. I'd do without that shiny gloss on the plastic.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportgenevamotorshow1-1.jpg  

suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 13:32   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the rear sear is reclined or the front seat is pushed back to its maximum. If that's the case, I don't think Ecosport has pretty bad rear space.

Last edited by sbala : 8th March 2013 at 13:34.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 13:46   #3057
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For chauffeur driven guys the front seat is normally pushed all the way ahead if the person is travelling in the back seat or all the way back if seated in the front passenger seat. Many cars have poor leg room in situations where there is someone seated ahead of us, but when the seat ahead or behind is free the leg room opens up significantly. For example the Laura would have poor leg room compared to some other cars of that segment and even the Aria when there is someone seated both ahead and behind. But the way the Laura seats have been designed the travel in the front seat is so high that if the front seat is unoccupied it can be pushed ahead to and extent that the rear seat seems more spacious than even in my Aria (full lenght leg stretch possible) or if the rear bench is empty the front seat can be pushed back so much that the front seat lets one stretch the legs full lenght. Also rear / mid row seats that recline (even if at the cost of a last row seat or the luggage space tend to offer seemingly much higher space though the leg room may seem the same as the head is not so close to the front row.

So these aspects should be checked out for the Eco Sport by a buyer in person to see if it suits him if it is not self driven and most of the travel will be with 1 or 2 persons only. Most drivers anyways push their seat too far ahead and the rear seated person does not feel short of space..
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 14:01   #3058
Distinguished - BHPian

Spot on ACM! Not once has my wife complained about poor rear legroom on her chauffeur-driven Polo. She enjoys Superb space (pun intended).

Only when I am trying to fit my size 10 boots in the back seat (son having grabbed the front seat) do I wish for the Verito :-(.
Old 8th March 2013, 15:18   #3059
Senior - BHPian

The front seats are all the way back in this picture and its a little far fetched to mention the under thigh support to be lacking by just looking at a similar picture.

Quote:
Old 9th March 2013, 03:01   #3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I really like the wheels on that blue EcoSport (Geneva Motor Show) display car. Do you think we'll get those here, at least as an option? According to the report, the car falls short in terms of quality. The car does look good in pictures though. I'd do without that shiny gloss on the plastic.

Source
These wheels are great, unfortunately, the Ecosport that I saw had the spokes cure in the end like the Evoque's. Someone mention Ecosport looks like a baby Evoque and I don't disagree. Infact if you have seen the recent Evoque add, I almost mistook it for Ecosport the first time I saw it (when camouflaged with dirt). As an option I am sure quite a few of us would want it along with gun metal finish rather than chrome guess we will have to wait and watch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks