Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 14:22   #1531
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

I somehow suspect Ford may try to milk us for Ecosport and will fall flat on its face soon.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:39   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion123 View Post
Hope the pricing is not a bummer like the Ford Fiesta that was launched last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I somehow suspect Ford may try to milk us for Ecosport and will fall flat on its face soon.

I bet they would screw up things on the pricing / quality of interiors front. Ford has never had two successful models running side by side. With the facelift figo not looking that bad at all [considering the negligible price increase], i'm pretty sure they would want to call the Eco Sport a "Premium Offering" like the New Fiesta.

I think The New Fiesta would have done much better if atleast they had not screwed up the back seats/cabin area for the price they wanted to ask.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:45   #1533
BHPian

I feel the Ford Ecosport will be small on the inside due to its sub 4 metre length. 1 litre engine may also turn out to be underpowered going by reports that 1.5 and 2.0 litre ecosport engines are being introduced elsewhere. It may also be overpriced as the rupee is weak and the new engine development expenses will need to be earned back.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:53   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What's with the silver color door handles and mirrors in the above pic?
Maybe they are trying to maintain some continuity between the roof rails and the alloys?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Ford has got to do something about that panel gap back there. It looks like San Andreas fault running down the back.
I think a little can be attributed to the photo itself. Perhaps wont look so bad when you see two faults, one on either side. As long as the gap size is almost equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
FORD ECO SPORT;
MASSIVE Marketing, MASSIVE Expectations, MASSIVE campaigning @ AUTO EXPO, & NO LAUNCH YETT !!!??!! ^ SUCCESS will be dependent on pricing only now
Agree with this.
New Fiesta faced a similar fate what with all the hype. Its just taking too long, we would have had 2 annual increments by the time of launch. Of course that doesnt mean our budget for the car will increase in the same proportion
Old 25th October 2012, 19:08   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I bet they would screw up things on the pricing / quality of interiors front. Ford has never had two successful models running side by side. With the facelift figo not looking that bad at all [considering the negligible price increase], i'm pretty sure they would want to call the Eco Sport a "Premium Offering" like the New Fiesta.
I don't think Ford will not repeat the mistake again. To whomsoever I have spoken with from the Ford about Ecosport, everyone is saying that with Ecosport, they are trying to look for volume like what they are getting from figo. With that tone, I don't think they will mess up with pricing. secondly Fiesta was not loclaized that much when they launched it, with Ecosports theya re targeting to achieve more than 85% by the time of launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I feel the Ford Ecosport will be small on the inside due to its sub 4 metre length. 1 litre engine may also turn out to be underpowered going by reports that 1.5 and 2.0 litre ecosport engines are being introduced elsewhere. It may also be overpriced as the rupee is weak and the new engine development expenses will need to be earned back.
Both cannot be true. Ford Fusion was also with almost like same measurement and the space was lavish. Secondly in Brazil and Argentina they haven't launched the ecoboost engine and the engine there are the normal duratec engine which is available in Classic and Fusion. The power of 1 litre engine is 120 BHP with a peak torque of 200 nm in the overboost mode. This is as same or higher than that of a 1.6 litre engine
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 19:45   #1536
Senior - BHPian

I was just looking at the Ford Brazil website and EcoSport' width is shown as 2057 mm. That is BROAD!

The outer edge of the ORVM and the wheel arches are almost on the same line.

It doesn't look like the vehicle will fit our garage.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:09   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
The power of 1 litre engine is 120 BHP with a peak torque of 200 nm in the overboost mode. This is as same or higher than that of a 1.6 litre engine
I'm skeptical about the long term reliability of a boosted small size engine. It would consistently be operating at higher operating temperatures than a normally aspirated engine and given the hostile weather conditions in India, the life of these engines may just be a total unknown for Ford. I know Ford had to issue multiple recalls on the 1.6 ecoboost on the Escape/Kuga already in the US.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 20:29   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil
I know Ford had to issue multiple recalls on the 1.6 ecoboost on the Escape/Kuga already in the US.
Was the recall for engine components or something else?
Old 25th October 2012, 20:39   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I'm skeptical about the long term reliability of a boosted small size engine. It would consistently be operating at higher operating temperatures than a normally aspirated engine and given the hostile weather conditions in India, the life of these engines may just be a total unknown for Ford. I know Ford had to issue multiple recalls on the 1.6 ecoboost on the Escape/Kuga already in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Was the recall for engine components or something else?
There were 3 re-calls.
  1. The carpet could interfare with the break pedal
  2. Coolant cap is loosen, hence coolant leakage and thereby heating of engine
  3. Fuel line leakage and hence there could be a chance of fire

I got this from a googling. The referred link is http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...3-ford-escape/
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 20:42   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
There were 3 re-calls.
  1. The carpet could interfare with the break pedal
  2. Coolant cap is loosen, hence coolant leakage and thereby heating of engine
  3. Fuel line leakage and hence there could be a chance of fire

I got this from a googling. The referred link is http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...3-ford-escape/
Does anyone have stats of the 1.0 ecoboost engine? It is in use in UK/Europe on the Focus and Fiesta?
What we need to understand is that operating conditions in India are far worse including
  1. Poor Quality Fuel
  2. Heat
  3. Rough Operating Conditions
I just hope Ford do not end up hurting their own impression by offering an engine that requires a lot more maintenance than what buyers in that segment could afford and consequently ending up in myriad reliability issues.
BMW or Audi offering a high compression ratio turbo charged engine that requires premium fuel and frequent maintenance is acceptable in that price segment. However for someone in the segment that buys the Ecosport, that is a little too much to ask for, IMHO.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 25th October 2012 at 20:47. Reason: Added additional points.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 22:32   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Yesss! You are spot on. There is no replacement for displacement. The higher the cubic capacity, the merrier. I don't like these tricked-up tiny engines. It's like squeezing all the juice out of tiny engines by turbo-ing and inter-cooling and electronics and what not. These engines will burn out faster than hgih cc engines which will be very relaxed in operation.

I had a diesel Lancer, 2000 cc NA engine. The engine was always very relaxed. No huffing and puffing like these tricked-up tiny engines. I sold some months back at odo reading 2 lakh KMs. I saw two more Lancers which have done nearly 5 lakh KMs. Damn things still sound like they just did 5000 Km. They will probably go on and on even beyond 50 lakh KMs. That is the beauty of high cc engines. But, alas, times have changed. Cars are also becoming use-and-throw items. Even before engine wears out, the user gets bored with car and moves on. So, manufacturers, too, aren't giving much importance to longevity. This, coupled with new trend of shaving one cylinder and saving on that cost and their zeal to give us smaller engines in the interest of fuel efficieny.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 06:24   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil

The life of the engines would not be a total unknown for Ford. If you look up the different threads, you will notice that Ford has been testing this for a long time under all sorts of Indian conditions, which is why it's taking a long time to launch I guess.

You could obviously still end up with a lemon, but this engine is widely lauded across the world.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:38   #1543
BHPian

Yesterday, we were travelling from Chennai to Melmaruvathur when a white Ecosport shot past us. Man, it was proportionate from all angles and did not look like an outgrown hatch! Love at first sight! Our Tavera overtook the Ecosport with some difficulty. We were at a distance of some 10 feet infront of the Ecosport and I could already see through the underbelly! That was the kind of GC it had!! Wonderful.
For those who have not seen this car in flesh, all I would like to mention is that it is very proportionate when viewed from any angle, butchy SUV looks, same new fiesta interiors, snazzy front end treatment, sexy back and a healthy mill under the hood!
If you ask me, I would say that the FORD Ecosport will be a better and sensibe choice than the Duster and the Quanto!

Cheers
Wild Child
wild child is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:51   #1544
BHPian

Will there be a diesel version of the EcoSport released with the ecoboost engine?
Old 1st November 2012, 21:46   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykc78
Will there be a diesel version of the EcoSport released with the ecoboost engine?
Ecoboost is Ford lingo for turbo petrol. The turbo diesel is already tdci !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks