Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 18:54   #256
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Saw a camouflaged S101 along with a U301 last sunday at Malshej Ghat.

Sorry for the blurred pics, were taken in much haste.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-dsc_0969.jpg  

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-dsc_0970.jpg  

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-dsc_0971.jpg  

//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 19:24   #257
BHPian

IMHO, calling the S101 a mini SUV is stretching the definition a touch too much. It looks at best a large hatch back or a 'cross' version of a hatchback.

None of the SUV characteristics seem to be present - butch appearance, large wheels, high ground clearance to name a few
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:01   #258
BHPian

Clear pic. Surprisingly, the side profile looks good here. Doesn't look too tall ( as most of the Mahindras do). If M&M can equip this car with reasonably well, then it could be a good option. Their 1500cc diesel engine will come alive in this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindras101sidenewtestmulerevealingspyshot.jpg  

Last edited by rahul412 : 10th July 2015 at 10:04.
rahul412 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 11:36   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw a camouflaged S101 along with a U301 last sunday at Malshej Ghat.

Sorry for the blurred pics, were taken in much haste.
Could this be the updated or upgraded version of the Quanto that is reported to come out soon? The other supposed pic of the S101, posted by Rahul above, looks completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Clear pic. Surprisingly, the side profile looks good here. Doesn't look too tall ( as most of the Mahindras do). If M&M can equip this car with reasonably well, then it could be a good option. Their 1500cc diesel engine will come alive in this one.
This looks about the same size as the current Figo, Sail. Should this really be called a mini SUV?

Last edited by safari_lover : 10th July 2015 at 11:37.
Old 10th July 2015, 11:55   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
This looks about the same size as the current Figo, Sail. Should this really be called a mini SUV?
This seems more like the size of SCross or Creta. This doesn't seem to have the macho appeal built into its dimension.

While we associate Mahindra with big burly SUVs, I think they have a challenge at hand facing Maruti or Hyundai in the soft-roader category. They will for once have to ensure impeccable reliability, fit and finish with quiet and efficient engines to take on the leaders.

And its been some months ( or years??) that they have been testing this. How much longer? What are they trying to attempt - being a Tata?

EDIT: On second thoughts, it does look like half a size or thereabouts smaller than SCross.

Last edited by vivekz : 10th July 2015 at 11:57.
Old 10th July 2015, 12:14   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
IMHO, calling the S101 a mini SUV is stretching the definition a touch too much. It looks at best a large hatch back or a 'cross' version of a hatchback.
Same thoughts here. This is closer to a "cross" WagonR than say, an Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Could this be the updated or upgraded version of the Quanto that is reported to come out soon? The other supposed pic of the S101, posted by Rahul above, looks completely different.
What? Compare it with the rear window profile, wheels, roofline etc. in the first & second image posted by //M. It's the same!
Old 10th July 2015, 13:51   #262
BHPian

Spotted one in the streets of chennai but could not take a picture since I was driving my bike. I was wondering what car it was since it was fully camouflaged. What gave it away was their tag line "Live Young Live Free" pasted proudly on the rear windshield. LOL!!
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 13:05   #263
BHPian

A little birdie came in my dreams. He said that the S101 will be called the XUV 100. Also, I'm told by the same birdie that it has a 3 cylinder engine. I am assuming it is the same as the one in the Quanto. Currently they are preparing the factory for production, and I believe launch is expected in three months time.

Edit: Also, has a dash mounted gear stick, and a 3+3 layout. That has been spotted on test mules. The middle seat is apparently a bit "cosy".

Last edited by amartyasg : 13th July 2015 at 13:06. Reason: Adding additional info
Old 14th July 2015, 01:03   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
...Also, I'm told by the same birdie that it has a 3 cylinder engine. I am assuming it is the same as the one in the Quanto....
That's a hopeless engine except for the low end torque. Hardly any punch.
Old 25th July 2015, 19:52   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorbeam has brought out some additional details of the S101 compact SUV, which is scheduled to be launched later this year.

The S101 will be coming with both petrol and diesel options, and will be paired to 5-speed manual and AMT gearboxes. While the 1.2L petrol will give a fuel economy of around 19-20 kmpl, the 1.5L diesel unit will produce around 22-23 kmpl.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-2015mahindras101testmuleindia.jpg

Quote:
The dashboard gets good quality materials which match the standards set by other vehicles in the same segment. The dashboard will get a brownish-grey colour scheme which is quite similar to other Mahindra products. The air-conditioner has vertically stacked controls. The S101 will also boast of a touchscreen audio system with USB and AUX connectivity. The multi-function steering wheel comes with audio and phone controls.

According to our source, the rear seats are spacious enough to accommodate three adults in comfort and they are well-reclined too. The boot space on the Mahindra S101 is lesser than its immediate rival, the Ford EcoSport. The instrument cluster will have a design that is similar to that of the XUV500.

The S101 uses an all-new monocoque platform. The vehicle has the dimensions of a hatchback but will have a SUV-ish stance and hence it’ll compete with both compact SUVs like the Ford EcoSport as well as crossovers like the Fiat Avventura, Hyundai i20 Active and Toyota Etios Cross.

Pricing for the Mahindra S101 is going to be very competitive.
Motorbeam

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th July 2015 at 19:53.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 22:03   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Motorbeam
So going by what Motorbeam says, this is another hatch on stilts! And when Renault launches the KWID, that will also compete with all these?

I really fail to understand the logic behind these 4m rules and the fixation of all manufacturers to make these hatch on stilts. No offence to anyone planning to buy or owning any of the mentioned vehicles. This particular vehicle in my opinion doesn't deserve to be called even a mini-SUV.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 25th July 2015 at 22:27.
Old 4th August 2015, 17:01   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
S101 is designed to be a 6 seater (more like 5 and a child). The front row has integrated seats like the Datsun Go+. So to make space for the 6th passenger, the gear lever is moved on to the dash.

I hope they offer the normal 5 seater (bucket seats in front) as an option atleast.
I have seen this car on the Hosur Road many times.
Today I got to see more details. I couldn't take photos however.

1. Handbrake is similar to the Datsun Go.
2. the front seat is also similar to the Datsun Go but the centre seat can be folded to serve as an armrest and bottle holder. This is similar to what we see on the rear seats of many sedans
3. The front floor was flat and people could easily walk in similar to Innova.
4. The exhaust note was very similar to Datsun Go
5. From what I saw, I found the line of the ORVM and dashboard very high compared to the seat height. I guess the top variants will have seat height adjustment but I hope the view from the driver's seat is not affected by this.

2 of the 5 points I have written above draw similarities to Go.
Going by their naming convention, Mahindra can name it NUV GOO - NanoUV similar to the Go
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:15   #268
BHPian

Chennai spotting:

Spotted the S101 along with the U301 opposite VeeCare hospital on 100feet road(after Koyambedu bus terminus).

IMHO the S101 looks just about the same size as a Jazz and had a profile similar to the Grand i10. The other one U301 had a spare wheel on the boot and front had huge JEEP like grille.

Sorry no pics as I was driving in the opposite direction.
Old 6th August 2015, 22:00   #269
BHPian

Saw a test mule pretty closely today here in Chennai (GST Road). Spent some time very close to the vehicle at a signal.

IMO, this vehicle should not be called a Mini-SUV at all. It is very disproportionate in size and the roofline gives a very ugly profile to the entire vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 10:19   #270
BHPian

Spotted this mini Mahindra camouflaged test mule being tested on the roads of Nasik during my visit there last week. The test driver was giving it bursts of acceleration wherever possible in the city traffic.
The rear end is very similar to the Quanto. I hope this one also doesn't end up looking as disproportionate as the Quanto.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img_20150801_095127.jpg  

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img_20150801_095102.jpg  

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img_20150801_095414.jpg  

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img_20150801_094924.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks