Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 20:02   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

By looking at the spy pics of the so-called SUV (101), I do believe it is a replacement for the Verito/Vibe. Mahindra doesnt have presence in the hatch/sedan/compact sedan segment but for the Verito twins. May be they are readying a model for this segment. That could well be the reason they are testing it alongside Swift.
Old 27th August 2015, 00:05   #287
BHPian

Spotted the S101 today on inner ring road, Chennai. It looked very tall, even though it is not! Is it because of the length.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img20150826wa0003.jpg

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img20150826wa0002.jpg

Last edited by Shanksta : 27th August 2015 at 00:08.
Shanksta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 16:40   #288
BHPian

Spy pictures of S101 baffles me sometimes. Not sure if its just an illusion or there are 2 versions running.

In some spyshots it looks too tall (like Quanto) & ugly while in other the proportions are clean & it looks like a low slung car. Very difficult to say how this car will actually look like in real life scenario.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101.png
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindras101spiediabreaderside.jpg  

Last edited by rahul412 : 27th August 2015 at 16:50.
rahul412 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 21:10   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

The S101's interiors have been caught on camera again, this time by an Overdrive reader.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindras101.jpg

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindras1017.jpg

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindras10110.jpg

Quote:
The steering wheel looks new and has audio and Bluetooth controls on it. Expect other creature comforts in the cabin like automatic climate control and a touchscreen infotainment system.

It is likely that ABS will be standard on the S101 keeping in mind the upcoming stringent safety norms which are soon going to be implemented in India.
Overdrive
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 17:58   #290
BHPian

Unconfirmed sources tell me that this car won't be marketed as an SUV. I hope it is true.
This car definitely cannot be called an SUV by any strech of imagination. The TUV300 is the smallest car Mahindra can promote as an SUV. This car most definitely be launched as a bold hatchback. They would be just fooling people if this too is badged as an SUV, and I have a feeling they won't be doing this. They already have the Quanto/Canto and TUV300 as mini-SUVs, they don't need a third one in that space.
This would be Mahindra's first real foray in a non-SUV segment. It would be interesting to see how it goes. Can't quite count Verito/Vibe as Mahindra's original.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:20   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra S101 compact SUV will be called as the XUV100, as per Motor Trend's sources.

Also, Mahindra & Mahindra have registered the domain name "mahindraxuv100" recently.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-119333342.jpg

Quote:
The trend started with the flagship model, XUV500 after which now they have decided to use the name XUV again but this time with 100 (One Double O). XUV100 will be the name of their upcoming premium sub-four meter SUV which is till now known as S101.

After revealing the SUV closely in and out, here we again reveal the name of this SUV exclusively as Mahindra has registered the domain name mahindraxuv100.

This must be a plan of Mahindra to take benefit of the popularity of the brand XUV which will now compete against the king of sub four meter SUV segment, Ecosport.

Another reason for choosing this name could be the styling cues which this SUV borrows from the elder sibling, XUV500 especially at front which includes wide back swept projector lamps and similar front grille, to some extent.

The number 100 (One Double O) in the name could also be based on the power output of this SUV as it will be powered by the updated version of the 1.5L diesel engine of Quanto which churns out a peak power of 100bhp.
Motor Trend
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:55   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Mahindra S101 compact SUV will be called as the XUV100, as per Motor Trend's sources.

Also, Mahindra & Mahindra have registered the domain name "mahindraxuv100" recently.

Motor Trend

First of all without offence to anybody this is just a blown up hatchback . I hope they dont market it in the SUV category. Really hope M&M dosent bring the XUV branding to a hatchback which IMHO will somewhat take away all the qualities of an SUV,the XUV stands for. I know the LUV moniker goes to the ertiga but maybe applies here too as the Little Utility Vehicle. Note: Little here means small not less utility.
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:25   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
First of all without offence to anybody this is just a blown up hatchback . I hope they dont market it in the SUV category. Really hope M&M dosent bring the XUV branding to a hatchback which IMHO will somewhat take away all the qualities of an SUV,the XUV stands for. I know the LUV moniker goes to the ertiga but maybe applies here too as the Little Utility Vehicle. Note: Little here means small not less utility.
True that why would they use XUV brand name which is really a blown up hatchback

The next thing we know is they will call their two wheelers as XUV010 (oh 1 oh) with the hope that a two-wheeler can fulfill the aspiration of owning an XUV
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 00:57   #294
BHPian

Now Cartrade reports that this is indeed going to be called XuV100

Mahindra is pitting it against Ecosport and likes, not able to understand why and on what basis.
To me it is a hatchback . Period

Link to the article:

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...00-130055.html
Old 7th September 2015, 13:29   #295
BANNED

Mahindra S101 - Might Be Called the XUV100

Quote:
After launching the*Mahindra TUV300*on September 10, 2015, the home-grown automaker will then bring in a mini SUV which it has been testing for quite a long time now. Code-named the S101, the mini SUV will most probably be called the XUV100 as the company has already trademarked 'Mahindra XUV100', and has also booked a domain name - www.mahindraXUV100.com - for the same.

To be positioned below the Quanto, the XUV100 will become the most affordable SUV in Mahindra's line-up.

Though there is no official confirmation about the engines that the XUV100 will come up with, it is expected to be launched with two engine options - a 1.2-litre petrol and a 1.5-litre diesel. While the former has been co-developed by Mahindra and SsangYong, the latter one is the same that powers the Vertio and other Mahindra cars. Rumour has it that the XUV100 might feature a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder diesel engine (a downsized version of SsangYong's 1.6-litre diesel unit), but we don't see that happening anytime soon. Transmission options on offer could be a 5-speed manual and an automated manual transmission (AMT).

Built on a monocoque chassis, the Mahindra XUV100 takes its design inspiration from the XUV500. It will feature the XUV500-inspired grille, projector head-lights, electrically adjustable body-coloured outside rear-view mirrors, short overhangs, wrap-around rear design, 15-inch wheels, etc. Spy shots reveal that the vehicle will have a bench.
Name:  ForumRunner_20150907_132806.png
Views: 4949
Size:  65.5 KB

http://www.ndtv.com/news/view/auto/1...o&site=classic
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 15:49   #296
BHPian

Not the best of decisions I my personal opinion. Wonder on what parallels Mahindra would want to use the XUV naming convention.

Atleast in our country, its the ascending naming (alpha numerial) convention that has worked, classic example is the Hyundai with its 'i' badging (i10, i20, i10 Grand). To a layman, it denotes something better with each ascending number and may also relate to a better snob value.

Bajaj did it with the Pulsar and Discover series and ended up confusing everyone and finally themselves!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:20   #297
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
.... I know the LUV moniker goes to the ertiga but maybe applies here too as the Little Utility Vehicle. Note: Little here means small not less utility.
How about NUV? No Utility Vehicle!

On a more serious note, I really do not understand why M&M is hellbent on diluting the XUV brand for this contraption.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:25   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

On a more serious note, I really do not understand why M&M is hellbent on diluting the XUV brand for this contraption.

Yup NUV it is without any offence to current vehicle owners of the said vehicle. In trying to garner sales for an upcoming product they are definitely diluting the XUV branding
Old 9th September 2015, 17:40   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

If they are too much obsessed with "oh" "oh" thing, they can name it as "OOV" 1-OH-OH.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th September 2015 at 17:43.
Old 9th September 2015, 22:01   #300
BHPian

If this is the sub 4 meter version of the XUV500, M&M might have another winner as people looking for a XUV500 and those cannot comprehend with the size can opt for this miniature. Looking at current market demand for compact SUVs, it won't be a surprise if XUV100 sells in good numbers. I hope the design lives up to XUV500. But looking at the camoflauged, I have my doubts.Lets wait until we see it in flesh.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks