Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 10:34   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
It might not make sense to go for such cars leaving our current sedans behind. It may be worth looking at this for someone who is actually looking for a replacement or upgrade from B2 hatches - It cant come into full sized SUV's territory such as Bolero/Scorpio/Safari for sure.
Very true! As I said earlier it is a vehicle between Jazz and Duster. However, when i spoke with my friends in Delhi, they liked the size as it isn't a parking hassle as other SUVs are and will come handy during Delhi's waterlogged roads during monsoons. For them Ecosport checks most of the boxes except price which we will know sooner or later.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:25   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Shouldn't the door open the other way? Otherwise in India we would end up having to walk around the door since most of the time we would approach it from the curb on the left.

It should open the other way, like it does in the old Honda CR-V. The way shown in the picture is fine for left-hand-drive countries but not for India.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:38   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Why are some guys comparing Ecosport with Amaze? Do they belong to same class? Compare Ecosport to Duster and Amaze to Dzire. Please, refrain from mixing up segments. What is the rationale for this comparison? An SUV buyer tired of waiting for Ecosport would buy a Duster. Not Amaze. Similarly, someone tired of waiting for Amaze may go buy a Dzire but not Duster or Ecosport.
I think the comparison between Ecosport and Amaze is very much valid.
I had fully finalized on ecosport, my prime requirements from the car i was looking for were Ground Clearance(Most important), Fuel Efficiency, Powerful engine,space and a budget between 7-9 Lakhs.
Now Amaze trumps in every department except Ground clearance. Even though Ground clearance was the most important factor for me, Amaze does the other things so well (FE, Power, Space, ABS Standard). Now I am seriously considering Amaze.

I still love Ecosport but then how long can we wait without a clear date/price/specification.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 11:44   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Shouldn't the door open the other way? Otherwise in India we would end up having to walk around the door since most of the time we would approach it from the curb on the left.

It should open the other way, like it does in the old Honda CR-V. The way shown in the picture is fine for left-hand-drive countries but not for India.
Oh No.. Not again.

Sorry for saying ^^. There was enough extensive discussion on this here as well earlier thread. Its just different. One will have to get used to it :(.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:06   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Why are some guys comparing Ecosport with Amaze? Do they belong to same class? Compare Ecosport to Duster and Amaze to Dzire. Please, refrain from mixing up segments. What is the rationale for this comparison? An SUV buyer tired of waiting for Ecosport would buy a Duster. Not Amaze. Similarly, someone tired of waiting for Amaze may go buy a Dzire but not Duster or Ecosport.
Sorry, but I guess the comparison with Amaze is justified. Basically, when I have defined a budget of say 9 lakhs, I will check the possible options in that price range. Not everyone like you would have decided on the SUV/ sedan. It is also the VFM quotient that comes in to picture. In such a scenario the Duster is pushed to the next segment.
I am not saying your criteria is incorrect, just that the comparison with Amaze is not wrong at all. Many people might have already decided to move to Amaze considering the FE/ space/ power and Honda badge, and more importantly the uncertainty from Ford over Ecosport!
Old 12th April 2013, 12:19   #561
BHPian

Amaze is a direct competition to dZire, not to Ecosport. Amaze is 950kg small car compared to Ecosport at 1.2 tonnes. To put things in perspective, the Honda Civic is 1.2 tonnes.

I don't think many would cross shop between a SUV and a sedan unless his main purpose of buying the car is to wow his neighbour and not drive it around. And I don't think such people even visit team-bhp.

Last edited by civic-sense : 12th April 2013 at 12:21.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:35   #562
Mik
BHPian

Posting some office talk i just overheard

Employee 1 (smarty pants - in tune with whats happening on the tech and auto world): This eco-sport is sexy. 1 liter engine and 150 bhp(i swear - no typo) power. Mini SUV hai yaar. I think i will buy it.

Employee 2(portly, typical IT Indian male): Arey! at same price you can get Honda Amaze naa. Its any day better.

Employee 1: Amaze is not an SUV, is it -- will it ride over potholes.

Employee 2 Sheepish grin!: Honda hai.

Yes, there will be cross-shopping between the EcoSport and the Amaze. Yes, some people will also understand that both have a different purpose.
Ford better launch it quick. Even in the elevator, two guys were discussing the Amaze. Its wonderful what clean and focussed advertising can do.
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:29   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Amaze is a direct competition to dZire, not to Ecosport. Amaze is 950kg small car compared to Ecosport at 1.2 tonnes. To put things in perspective, the Honda Civic is 1.2 tonnes.

I don't think many would cross shop between a SUV and a sedan unless his main purpose of buying the car is to wow his neighbour and not drive it around. And I don't think such people even visit team-bhp.
At last, some sense here. This is exactly what I was trying to explain. I mean how can anyone compare Amaze to Ecosport? Mods, please step in and ensure comparisons are made with similar products.
Old 12th April 2013, 14:15   #564
BANNED

Quote:

I am a regular team-bhp user and I am really looking at the Amaze, though only as a fail-safe option to the EcoSport. I am perfectly happy with what I have seen in the EcoSport yet, but if Ford has a nasty surprise in the pricing, the Amaze it is.
I need a compact car that is comfortable and spacious enough to seat 4 people.
So in this 5-8 lakh segment, there is immense possibility of cross-shopping between a Hatchback, a Sedan and now even an SUV.
agambhandari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 16:02   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I am a regular team-bhp user and I am really looking at the Amaze, though only as a fail-safe option to the EcoSport. I am perfectly happy with what I have seen in the EcoSport yet, but if Ford has a nasty surprise in the pricing, the Amaze it is.
I need a compact car that is comfortable and spacious enough to seat 4 people.
So in this 5-8 lakh segment, there is immense possibility of cross-shopping between a Hatchback, a Sedan and now even an SUV.
My gutfeel is that the Amaze and the Ecosport will be in different Price segments and the Ecosport will start at a price point where the Amaze ends. Having seen the Ecosport well in the display, they will definitely peg it very close to the New Fiesta and maybe only 50k cheaper for the like for like model, which would only be on account for the lower excise duty liability. The mechanicals and electronics and interiors are still majorly shared with the Fiesta so I doubt that they could do anything radical with the pricing inspite of the localization and market expectations.

For the diesel version, you can expect a starting price of 7.9 lacs and will go upto 10.5 lacs (probably 4 variants). For Petrol, they may start with 6.9 lacs (1L ecoboost) and go upto 10 lacs for the 1.5L AT.
At this price point which is quite close to the Duster, you would actually be getting much smaller size (both exterior and interior) as compared to the Duster, but would get maybe better electronics and Gizmos.

Renault is also sitting with another ace up its sleeve which is the AWD Duster and I am sure that they will announce it as soon as the Ecosport is released, which will give Duster a clear advantage with the AWD, while Ecosport will not have a AWD yet.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th April 2013 at 16:11.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 16:20   #566
Senior - BHPian

That would be the case if it were a true SUV. There were a couple of similar products in advanced markets like the Daihatsu Terios, which took on hatches and low priced sedans price-wise. I imagine a similar situation.

Cross shopping is expected unless one is keen on a butch SUV or wants a true sedan. One need not be touchy.

Since this launch is without a precedent, it will be interesting to see the market reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
My gutfeel is that the Amaze and the Ecosport will be in different Price segments and the Ecosport will start at a price point where the Amaze ends. Having seen the Ecosport well in the display, they will definitely peg it very close to the New Fiesta and maybe only 50k cheaper for the like for like model, which would only be on account for the lower excise duty liability. The mechanicals and electronics and interiors are still majorly shared with the Fiesta so I doubt that they could do anything radical with the pricing inspite of the localization and market expectations.

For the diesel version, you can expect a starting price of 7.9 lacs and will go upto 10.5 lacs (probably 4 variants). For Petrol, they may start with 6.9 lacs (1L ecoboost) and go upto 10 lacs for the 1.5L AT.
At this price point which is quite close to the Duster, you would actually be getting much smaller size (both exterior and interior) as compared to the Duster, but would get maybe better electronics and Gizmos.

Renault is also sitting with another ace up its sleeve which is the AWD Duster and I am sure that they will announce it as soon as the Ecosport is released, which will give Duster a clear advantage with the AWD, while Ecosport will not have a AWD yet.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 12th April 2013, 16:37   #567
BHPian

On the topic on Ecosport vs. Amaze, another factor is the driving dynamics, not sure how many of the commoners would be bothered about it.
I personally would like a car that handles well and has a weighted steering even for everyday city driving. Frankly speaking its addictive.
Apart from the rear bench space, I foresee the ecosport matching the Amaze on all points including safety.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:37   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

Regards,
Behemoth
AWD may not make much of an ace since the pricing will get really stratospheric. I doubt the numbers will add up much to make a substantial difference to Duster's sales.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 16:40   #569
BHPian

Checked the vehicle in flesh today in Chennai. Everything is perfect as i expected, except rear seat. Yes its very comfortable for 2 persons but third will be tight. Even a little space to fit in third would have made it 100% perfect.

Quality is not as bad as its being said here. I would say i felt it better than duster for sure. When you sit inside you feel its a very well finished interior except when you do a close look at corners and edges.

For a scorpio owner, it was not an issue at all. Have to compromise the third person comfort if i have to switch from scorpio to ecosport. I know very well both are not in the same league. But i went for scorpio just because we didnt have such compact suvs.
Old 12th April 2013, 18:52   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
At last, some sense here. This is exactly what I was trying to explain. I mean how can anyone compare Amaze to Ecosport? Mods, please step in and ensure comparisons are made with similar products.

Guys what you both say is perfectly true. But on the other hand, that is beauty of the compact X-over segment. Since price overlaps, there are many many folks who would just want the best for a budget. They dont care of sedan or an SUV. Similarly in many discussions, I have read folks who went with Vento/Rapid etc because Duster plastics were not good!

The point is we just cant stop the comparisons (even if they are between apples and oranges! ). We just weigh our priorities and get on with it.

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2013 at 18:54.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks