Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 13:46   #1261
BHPian

Re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Some of the key points from review so far

1. Jazz petrol is the Brio-derived 1.2-liter four-cylinder i-VTEC engine, suitably modified to produce 90 PS at 6,000 rpm and 110 Nm of torque at 4,800 rpm

2. Jazz CVT is nicer and fun to drive compared to the manual

3. Honda claims an ARAI-rated figure of 18.7 km/l for the Jazz petrol MT and 19 km/l for the Jazz CVT.

4. The tech specs of the exteriors:
Length: 3,955 mm
Width: 1,694 mm
Height: 1,544 mm
Wheelbase: 2,530 mm
Ground clearance: 165 mm

5. Tyre size: 175/65 R15 (175/70 R14 on lower variants), so lower variants will come with smaller tyre

6.The top-end VX gets a 6.2-inch touchscreen unit with DVD capability apart from MP3/AUX/USB/Bluetooth and iPod connectivity. The display doubles up as the screen for the navigation system and reverse camera.

7. V trim comes with a 5-inch non-touch screen audio system with all the functions of the above except navigation and DVD. Instead, the 5-inch unit gets three views for the reverse camera (top, wide and rear view)

8. Powering the Jazz diesel is the same 1.5-liter four-cylinder i-DTEC diesel engine which is seen on the City. This unit, develops 100 PS and 200 Nm of torque and gets a 6-speed manual transmission.

9. Honda claims an ARAI-rated fuel efficiency of 27.3 km/l for the Jazz diesel, making it India’s second most fuel efficient diesel passenger vehicle.

10. Under thigh support of rear seats is not good for long distance journey

Finally, Jazz will come in following 7 colors:
1. Carnelian Red
2. Urban Titanium
3. Golden Brown Metallic
4. Sunset Orange
5. Taffeta White
6. Alabaster Silver Metallic
7. White Orchid

Last edited by damager21 : 13th June 2015 at 13:56.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:11   #1262
BHPian

^^ Im sure even the 6.2 inch touchscreen system has the 3 modes for the reverse camera. Honda cannot offer three modes on V variant and not give it on the VX variant.
Old 13th June 2015, 14:17   #1263
BHPian

The black colour is not offered for Jazz also just like the City, does any one know why Honda does not offer Black as an option?

Last edited by Rohit Tripathi : 13th June 2015 at 14:21.
Old 13th June 2015, 14:28   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Why doesn't honda offer the diesel engine with an automatic transmission on any of its cars?
Old 13th June 2015, 14:30   #1265
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Look who we've got here!

He's carefully checking out the rear magic seat of Jazz VX diesel (image courtesy - IAB):

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-image.jpg

Is that you in your usual calm, composed & smiling self in the picture, Mod Vid6639?

Last edited by RSR : 13th June 2015 at 14:46.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:33   #1266
BHPian

In order to solve the "under-tyred" issue, I did some research on the Internet.

Using http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/, it looks like the tyre for the top variant can be upsized to 195/60 R15 without too much of an issue (speedometer will read 140 kmph instead of actual speed of 141kmph), as long as it doesn't touch the wheel well when turning.

205/55 R15 is also theoretically possible, but probably will be too wide for the wheel well.

MRF Z.LO has both the above upsizes (http://www.mrftyres.com/products/tyres/zlo).

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 13th June 2015 at 14:35.
anoop.mathew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:34   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Everyone is stating that the i-Dtec gets the gearbox from the City (6 Speed), I haven't seen a single image that shows the 6 speed gear lever. All are either 5 speed or CVT. Am I missing something?

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-2015hondajazzdieselvxmt6mtgearboxreview900x596.jpg

Here are the closest rivals in a visual comparo:

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-2015hondajazzvshyundaielitei20frontreview900x596.jpg

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-2015hondajazzvshyundaielitei20sidereview900x596.jpg

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-2015hondajazzvshyundaielitei20rearreview900x596.jpg

Also, a bit of a dampener for all those who were eagerly waiting for the 1.5L petrol in the Jazz/Jazz RS:

Quote:
Honda has confirmed that the 1.5-litre petrol engine equipped Jazz won’t be launched in the country.
MotorBeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Is that you in your usual calm, composed & smiling self in the picture, Mod Vid6639?
Yes, that's Vid alright.

Viddy & Suhaas were in Goa for the Media Drive, and their compiled Official Team-BHP Review of the 2015 Honda Jazz will be up shortly.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th June 2015 at 14:36.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:37   #1268
BHPian

Honda has a sure shot winner on the cards. Jazz looks smashing and has a roomy airy cabin. Add to it the diesel variant which probably was one of the major reasons why Jazz did not take off in it's last iteration. This a perfect hatch for a typical urban family which is not only practical as an everyday car but will perfectly double as a weekend getaway car with great boot capacity. Honda has a very diverse but well thought out product portfolio now with the Amaze, Mobilio, City and now the Jazz all having both petrol and diesel options. This is easily one of the best looking cars on Indian roads today.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:58   #1269
BHPian

Based on the detailed reviews in ACI, IAB and Motorbeam, below are by observations. Since I am someone who was keenly looking forward to the Jazz, I will list down the disappointments first

Disappointments
Poor under thigh support in the rear - both normal and magic seats
High NVH in diesel - not corrected yet even after this being the fourth car with this engine
Uninspiring Petrol manual
Puny 175/65 R15 tires in top variants and even smaller 175/70 R14 in other variants
Cheap wiring for USB and Aux connectors in the glove box - that too in the top variant
Absence of Multi-view reverse camera display in the VX trim HU display again
Space saver 14" tire even on the top end - TOO BAD HONDA
No auto-lock at speed and no dedicated button on driver door to lock / unlock doors (as per Motorbeam Review)
Absence of rear AC vents (even from under the seats)

Positives
Space, space and more space
Good steering feel especially in diesel
Responsive CVT unit with paddle shifters to mitigate rubber-band effect to an extent
Good ride and decent handling with good overall stability
Fuel efficiency - especially the diesel
Improved gear ratios in diesel for better drivability
LED Tail lamps and sporty spoilers
Multi-view reverse camera display
Very wide opening doors
Recline-able rear seats for added comfort

With this, Honda definitely needs to price the car very aggressively. I was maintaining that Jazz can be priced 15-20k over the i20. However, based on the initial reviews and impressions, I feel they should be at par or undercut i20 to make it an even fight.

However, I found none of these reviews to be as comprehensive or detailed or covering all aspects. Guess I should wait for the official Team-BHP review for that. Hope we get to see it soon.

P.S. I do not understand why reviewers say that the dashboard and instrument console are carried over from the City. It does not even need very keen eyes to understand that they are similar but not even as close to be called same. Even, the instrument clusters are also VERY different in these cars - they follow the same color tone and similar design, I agree, but they are very very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
^^ Im sure even the 6.2 inch touchscreen system has the 3 modes for the reverse camera. Honda cannot offer three modes on V variant and not give it on the VX variant.
Unfortunately Akhil, it seems like a limitation of the unit used. Honda was stupid enough to procure a below-par unit which has wire hanging out of the glove-box and does not offer the multi-view feature on reverse camera display. Too bad, too lazy from Honda. It is the same in City also, please see the image below.

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-city_features.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
The black colour is not offered for Jazz also just like the City, does any one know why Honda does not offer Black as an option?
Hi Rohit, it is probably because of the conservative attitude of majority Indians who consider Black to be inauspicious. A lot of elders, especially in conservative middle-class families, vehemently oppose their family to buy black cars. Moreover, based on my observation, resale value of black cars are also comparitively lesser, mainly due to lower demands caused by the fore-mentioned reason. Honda might have found the sales of black to be very less compared to other colors and probably offered the new golden-brown color - now people who want black can compromise a bit and get this color and it is not inauspicious anymore.

Last edited by Vigkey : 13th June 2015 at 15:24.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 15:17   #1270
BHPian

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post

Unfortunately Akhil, it seems like a limitation of the unit used. Honda was stupid enough to procure a below-par unit which has wire hanging out of the glove-box and does not offer the multi-view feature on reverse camera display. Too bad, too lazy from Honda. It is the same in City also, please see the image below.

Attachment 1381546

After reading the beginning of your post I did head to Honda's site to confirm the same and came away disappointed. It is very poor from Honda and shows how less they care as long as they are making money.

I am in a dilemma now whether to go for V with CVT or the VX. I guess I'll still go with VX but live with this irritation.

As regards to button for locking/unlocking, I think there is a button next to power window lock button, but it is not marked. It cant be that Honda have lifted the same from City and that it is a dummy button! If so, again, very bad from Honda.

Honda is leaving us customers shortchanged. I appreciate the good bits by Honda, but I also hate the bad ones.

Last edited by akhil994 : 13th June 2015 at 15:23.
Old 13th June 2015, 15:26   #1271
Senior - BHPian

For me the biggest shockers are the 14" tires for the lower variants and the absence of the rear AC vents below the seats.
I guess when I check the car in person, I will find many more such cost-cutting measures in the new Jazz compared to the old one.

And yes, I agree, it should be priced at par or even undercut the I20.
The problem for Honda is that it doesn't have much room for pricing as the inferior Amaze is almost similarly priced to the Amaze.
Old 13th June 2015, 15:35   #1272
BHPian

I am really disappointed with the Color options - Rallye Red color (which is available on the Brio) would have looked smashing on the new Jazz, unfortunately this is not in the list. After reading all the reviews, I feel that Honda is only trying to compete with Maruti Swift, the build quality being a far cry from the previous gen Jazz. Come on Honda, we deserve something much better than this.
Old 13th June 2015, 15:52   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
I am in a dilemma now whether to go for V with CVT or the VX. I guess I'll still go with VX but live with this irritation.

As regards to button for locking/unlocking, I think there is a button next to power window lock button, but it is not marked. It cant be that Honda have lifted the same from City and that it is a dummy button! If so, again, very bad from Honda.

Honda is leaving us customers shortchanged. I appreciate the good bits by Honda, but I also hate the bad ones.
Yes Akhil, it is highly disappointing how Honda, which proclaims itself to be the leading manufacturer of premium cars premium cars in India, resorts to such blatant and visible cost-cutting. However, considering the Honda Jazz in Australia weight pretty much the same as ours, I guess there will be no structural compromise and that, if true, is a very good thing.

I am pretty sure the unmarked button is a dummy one and Honda has left us shortchanged there. Come on, by how much will that simple feature make the Jazz expensive? Even my age-old Dzire has this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
For me the biggest shockers are the 14" tires for the lower variants and the absence of the rear AC vents below the seats.
I guess when I check the car in person, I will find many more such cost-cutting measures in the new Jazz compared to the old one.

And yes, I agree, it should be priced at par or even undercut the I20.
The problem for Honda is that it doesn't have much room for pricing as the inferior Amaze is almost similarly priced to the Amaze.
No need to be that shocked Adimicra, it is the segment norm - only that I expected Honda to break the trend. The best-seller i20 offers 185/70 R14 steel wheels in all models except Sportz(O) and Asta. Good thing about i20 is that in Sportz (O) and Asta they offer 195/55 R16. Why the Koreans, even the well respected Germans to the dame - Polo offers only 175/70 R14 in its Trendline models. It offers 185/60 R15 in Comfortline and Trendline. Going by this, even Jazz offers R15 in the top 2 variants - albeit the rubbers being thinner at 175/65.

My biggest issues are with the absence of rear AC-vents and no central locking / unlocking button on the driver's seat - that is height of cost-cutting. I being a tall man (6' 3"), find the under-thigh support inadequate in any car I sit - so that will not make a big difference.

However, I hope against hope to find the rear AC vents when I check in reality (my assumption being, no reviewer bothered to look under the front seat )

Last edited by Vigkey : 13th June 2015 at 15:53.
Old 13th June 2015, 16:06   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I am pretty sure the unmarked button is a dummy one and Honda has left us shortchanged there. Come on, by how much will that simple feature make the Jazz expensive? Even my age-old Dzire has this.

But I had a look and the city's door pad does not have the same layout. The ORVM controls are below the vent in the City.
Now since it is not from the city, any ideas?
It is a very convenient feature that should be there for a car which costs as much.
Old 13th June 2015, 16:10   #1275
Senior - BHPian

CVT + Paddle shifters. The only reason for my interest in this car. Otherwise Elite i20 is truly premium in every sense.

Honda has a chance to make it appealing with the pricing. Having dropped the ball twice with Jazz first (first launch) and Mobilio second, I expect they would have learnt something from it.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 13th June 2015 at 16:17.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks