Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 14:07   #1201
BHPian

The ciaz's fate will depend on the pricing. If they get too adventurous and price it close to the city, maruti is going to get its hands burned. Especially with the petrol car.
As of now the city has become an all rounder car. It still has the best performance and FE in the segment (petrol) but now along with the features of a Hyundai as well. Add to that a competent diesel and of course the Honda badge , the city has become a superstar in it's segment. Hard to argue with that.

Last edited by nakul0888 : 7th September 2014 at 14:09.
Old 7th September 2014, 15:23   #1202
BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Some nice comparison shots of Ciaz vs old SX4 sedan:

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-14230_10152376163576234_3701380287271996850_n1.jpg

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-10646692_10152376163566234_3738158470355447209_n1.jpg

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-10629883_10152376163556234_2870986720851633254_n1.jpg

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-10687056_10152376163631234_863636535298293726_n1.jpg

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-10665225_10152376163626234_6046088854044362954_n1.jpg

Source : http://indianautosblog.com/2014/09/m...ampaign=buffer
tbppjpr is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 15:28   #1203
Team-BHP Support

The last shot shows the most drastic difference - the quality of interiors and the space available are miles ahead of the SX4. Also, the dashboard is rather ungainly in SX4 whereas it looks classy in Ciaz, along the lines of VW dashboard designs.
Old 7th September 2014, 15:34   #1204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Also, the dashboard is rather ungainly in SX4 whereas it looks classy in Ciaz, along the lines of VW dashboard designs.
True, that's what I liked about the Ciaz. Overall the car looks very European, with clean and understated looks (which is even more interesting because the car is aimed predominantly at Indian and Chinese markets).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 16:00   #1205
Senior - BHPian

The portion of the tail light that is not on the boot lid is actually very similar to the Ertiga's tail light.
Old 7th September 2014, 18:07   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That is true. It won't happen a lot, but I have seen it happen. A person looking for a small hatch walks into the showroom and come out with something 2 segments bigger.

They think the price is 2-3 lakhs more but suddenly it is only 5K per month additional EMI and the dream to own a big car.

You don't see someone walking into the showroom with a 12L budget and walking out with 8L car.

Yup. Pricing is the key factor here but I have this feeling that Maruti will pull a rabbit out of the bag. I'm looking at the Ertiga prices and see that it is brilliantly priced. The Ciaz has the same engine lineup but is more premium. Plus the Honda City and Hyundai Verna are not exactly priced as VFM.

The Mobilio shares similar engines than the City and is around 1.2L less than City. The Ertiga is 2.7L away from the City and 1.3L away from the Mobilio.

If you assume Maruti will price the Ciaz around 1.5L or even 2L above the Ertiga, that's easily around 1L lesser than City.

They have a lot of headroom in pricing actually and it's not difficult for someone like MAruti to go against the City/Verna in terms of pricing. That should be their trump card actually.

We have to wait and see but I have my fingers crossed
If they price it 1lakh below honda city - that will be too close to or equal Verna pricing of equivalent variant. As a buyer, I would pick the Verna instead of Ciaz if pricing is too close. Especially in diesel, ciaz would be crushed.

I think maruti should price it same as Ertiga. Like how Hyundai has priced the Xcent and i20.
Old 7th September 2014, 18:11   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Because their main USP for both the cars were space and back seat comfort. Not only there were no other major strengths, they had some weakness as well in the forum of dealership strength, interior design and quality etc.

With the launch of the Honda City & now Ciaz - both of which offers great backseat comfort (Ciaz based on reviews) along with a whole lot of other strengths- these cars have now lost their relavance.

Note - Its the Renault Scala and not the Pulse thats based on Sunny.
Agree. Thanks for correcting me - that was a faux pas!
ramassrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 18:35   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
If they price it 1lakh below honda city - that will be too close to or equal Verna pricing of equivalent variant. As a buyer, I would pick the Verna instead of Ciaz if pricing is too close. Especially in diesel, ciaz would be crushed.

I think maruti should price it same as Ertiga. Like how Hyundai has priced the Xcent and i20.
This exactly the reason why hyundai has created rivals for its own segment rather than others. I appreciate your personal view of how you would pick verna against Ciaz but in a bigger prospect of things Ciaz has a high capability of selling more than verna. It's the Honda City that should be a direct competition for Ciaz especially after seeing multiple reviews and looking at draining sales figures of hyundai verna.
Old 7th September 2014, 19:04   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Some nice comparison shots of Ciaz vs old SX4 sedan:
SX4 is a very good sedan, Its rugged and comes with Maruti service network. but we all know how much it sells currently. So I am sure Maruti will be sensible with the pricing of Ciaz

SX4 exteriors are still score pretty even with that of ciaz. I still like its looks. Its sporty

But when we move to interiors, it shows its age. Its something like the first gen Swift. A car selling at 11 Lakh OTR in Karnataka doesnt even have features to show the FE, a drivers armrest, pathetic leg room for rear seats etc.

Good to see that Maruti has focus on these aspects itself about interiors and I am glad

I only hope that the pricing will be at current levels of SX4 OTR prices.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 19:19   #1210
BANNED

SX4 was a nice except for FE.

High stance that was a boon for our roads and seating too. I remember dad had bought the VXi variant in silver for 6.6L way back in September, 2007 which I feel was a steal for a 1.6L engine!

From the pictures compared, it looks like the SX4 was taken into 'Paint' and pressed from top and stretched from the sides.

There is good difference in leg room between the two. Dashboard, I like the SX4's (don't flame me for that).

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 19:23   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
This exactly the reason why hyundai has created rivals for its own segment rather than others. I appreciate your personal view of how you would pick verna against Ciaz but in a bigger prospect of things Ciaz has a high capability of selling more than verna. It's the Honda City that should be a direct competition for Ciaz especially after seeing multiple reviews and looking at draining sales figures of hyundai verna.
You must keep in mind that Verna is a 3 year old product. Ciaz with its tiny engine is no comparison to Verna or City. Any ways we will wait and see. Also the initial bookings for few months do not always reflect the product performance.

Suzuki in any case is a failure in most car markets including the largest market The USA. India with its love of suzuki has been an exception with small cars. It will be interesting to see ciaz performs in the long run.
Old 7th September 2014, 19:25   #1212
BHPian

Is the SX4 still available or all the units have been sold?
Old 7th September 2014, 19:32   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Is the SX4 still available or all the units have been sold?
Some random unsold stock will be left. From around six months the stock was very less, maybe one or two cars per dealer. That too vaned away and I think the last batch of 50 cars were some government order or something.
Old 7th September 2014, 19:58   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ciaz with its tiny engine is no comparison to Verna or City. India with its love of suzuki has been an exception with small cars. It will be interesting to see ciaz performs in the long run.
Maruti Ciaz has a 1.4L engine as compared to Honda City's 1.5L so the difference of 100cc does not make it tiny rather it's all about performance and Ciaz actually has been launched to compete the C Segment which has City, Vento, Verna et al. I am sure Ciaz will give competitive FE figures when compared to ARAI standards of Honda City and the likes.

In India, the biggest dud that Maruti had so far was Kizashi and rest all segments did average and above average performance be it in private car segment or the commercial car segment. Not only Maruti has tasted success in Hatchback or the Sub-4 meter segment rather it had ruled the market with cars like Esteem, Old Dzire, Gypsy etc. People still swear by the reliability of these discontinued cars over here.

I guess going by the comments here on Ciaz, it will be a tough task for it to make a reputation in the existing line up. Call me optimistic or futuristic, but, Ciaz will give a tough time to Vento and City at least.

OT: Honda City Idtec has now another competitor to look out for i.e Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 7th September 2014 at 20:01.
Old 7th September 2014, 20:01   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must keep in mind that Verna is a 3 year old product. Ciaz with its tiny engine is no comparison to Verna or City. Any ways we will wait and see. Also the initial bookings for few months do not always reflect the product performance.

Suzuki in any case is a failure in most car markets including the largest market The USA. India with its love of suzuki has been an exception with small cars. It will be interesting to see ciaz performs in the long run.
Suzuki failed in the US because they chose the wrong time to quit ties with GM and go solo. Their products, received brilliant reviews. Same goes for the UK and Australia. All these countries sing high praise for their cars it's just that Suzuki does not have the dealership network and widespread support and presence in those countries, as it does here.

No comparison? Well its 0-100 time is the same if not quicker, and all journalists seem to be saying that the DDIS in the Suzuki, performs really well. Sure the Verna has the better motor but after seeing the reviews and specs, I don't think it is better by that huge a margin. The Ciaz also trumps the Verna and City in terms of space and comfort while also coming with similar level of features. I don't see the Verna being able to fight this one off mate Honda, still has a good chance since the brand has imprinted a high value in the minds of the amm junta, but let's see if MS can overthrow that concept.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks