Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 19:42   #1231
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

I find it very hard after seeing the Ciaz to justify Corolla pricing and value proposition....

Quote:
Corolla G Diesel Ciaz Zdi+
Dimension 4620 mm x 1775 mm x 1475 mm 4490 mm*1730 mm*1485 mm
Wheel Base 2700 mm 2650 mm
Kerb Weight 1230 Kg 1105 Kg
Mileage 21.43 26.21
Power 88.4 PS 90 PS
Torque 205 Nm @ 1800 200 @ 1750
PS/Ton 71 PS per Ton 81.5 PS per Ton
Torque/Ton 166.5 181
0-100 Kmph 16 Sec 11.1 Sec (Claimed)
Projector Lamps No Yes
Rear AC No Yes
7" Display w/ GPS No Yes
Leather Seats No Yes
Auto Foldable Mirror No Yes
Start/Stop Button No Yes
Leather Steering Yes Yes
16" Alloy Wheels No Yes
MirrorLink No Yes
Auto Anti-Glare Mirror Yes Yes
Sun Glass Holder No Yes
Rear Sunshade No Yes
Ex-Showroom 15.26 Lakhs 10-11 Lakhs
Given Corolla is a looker & its somewhat bigger. But from everything else, it find its hard to top Ciaz in any parameter. And its not like Ciaz has atrocious build or finishing.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Ciaz.xlsx (34.9 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by aseem : 8th September 2014 at 20:00.
aseem is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 20:14   #1232
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea when is this available for a TD ? I really wanna try it and see how much improvement has it made. For me, SX4 was straight out when I sat in it for the very first time; majorly owing to the same interiors as a first gen Swift. Want to see how much improvement has Maruti made on this front.
Old 8th September 2014, 20:46   #1233
BANNED

Has anyone seen what is the HU for the VXi/VDi/VXi+/VDi+?

Is it the same 5' screen like a tablet or the ones found on Swift/Ertiga?

Anurag.
Old 8th September 2014, 21:00   #1234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Has anyone seen what is the HU for the VXi/VDi/VXi+/VDi+?

Is it the same 5' screen like a tablet or the ones found on Swift/Ertiga?

Anurag.
Check page one of the thread from anshuman.
Old 8th September 2014, 21:23   #1235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I find it very hard after seeing the Ciaz to justify Corolla pricing and value proposition
You are very correct , corolla retails around $15,000 in most of economies & should have been in range of 10-12 lac given the equipment & puny engine it uses . I have not seen Ciaz but it does look a segment larger than SX4 , given the reach of Maruti Dealers we are looking at a blockbuster launch

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th September 2014 at 21:26.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:25   #1236
BHPian

Pics of the production ready Alivio which is the Chinese version of the Ciaz are out
The grill and the extra chrome bits do add a lot of elegance to the slightly bland design of the indian version

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/09/s...evealed-145125
Old 9th September 2014, 03:12   #1237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Pics of the production ready Alivio which is the Chinese version of the Ciaz are out
The grill and the extra chrome bits do add a lot of elegance to the slightly bland design of the indian version
Said it before based on the spyshots, but yet again- those tail lamps are sweet compared to the ones on the Indian version.

Hope Maruti offers these nice parts of the Chinese version as MGA accessories atleast.

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-untitled.jpg
Old 9th September 2014, 06:32   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
The Chinese version feels way more premium and upmarket compared to what we are seeing in India. Don't know if this is because of the few inserts here and there or there is something else.
Old 9th September 2014, 07:58   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You are very correct , corolla retails around $15,000 in most of economies & should have been in range of 10-12 lac given the equipment & puny engine it uses . I have not seen Ciaz but it does look a segment larger than SX4 , given the reach of Maruti Dealers we are looking at a blockbuster launch
The corolla 1.8 Petrol CVT costs around 19000 USD in US today which works out to around 11 Lakh rupees. Remember US does not have excise duty or VAT or lifetime road tax. You only pay 6-8 % sales tax on top of the 19 K USD. In india we have excise duty (24 % for corolla), VAT (14.5%) and on top of that road tax (10-18%).

Toyota has priced the corolla at exactly the same level ex-factory as it has priced the US one. But after adding all the taxes, we pay much more that what people pay in US.

Base price : 11 L
Excise duty: 2.64 laks
VAT: 1.98 L

Total Ex-showroom: 15.62 which was what a 1.8 GL costs here.
Please do not blame toyota for the high prices of corolla. Blame our govt and the tax structure.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:09   #1240
Team-BHP Support

well the prices does vary depending on the loading's but if you look at standard features like 8 airbags , LED lamps even on 16 K base model & factor the discounts available on this car specially in US & Canada it will be far cheaper and yes the taxes does play a big role in domestic prices but what about the savings in India - from lower costs in manufacturing ( labor rates & cheaper parts ) & markups in distribution

Its good for the Ciaz ,being compared with something a segment above and that too with something as legendary as corolla

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th September 2014 at 09:33.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:41   #1241
BHPian

Hello folks,

Official brochure out at Maruti Suzuki official website for the Ciaz

Few features like the reverse parking camera display on an ECM mirror (similar to the verna I think) are features that go unmentioned in the reviews and scoops, I for one am very happy that these are there. Anyway, links below..

Official Ciaz Website - http://www.marutisuzuki.com/ciaz.aspx
Brochure Download Link - https://marutistoragenew.blob.core.w...al_brocher.pdf

(Please delete/merge if already posted)
iamendangered is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 14:47   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but what about the savings in India - from lower costs in manufacturing ( labor rates & cheaper parts ) & markups in distribution
Toyota sells between 25000-35000 Corolla's per month in USA, and maybe 600 in India. They have huge economies of scale there which will easily negate any cost disadvantages.

But, we are going OT, back to Ciaz.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th September 2014 at 14:49.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:30   #1243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Toyota sells between 25000-35000 Corolla's per month in USA, and maybe 600 in India. They have huge economies of scale there which will easily negate any cost disadvantages
Yes they did sold around 300 Thousand Corollas in US last year but why should a customer in India pay high rates to Toyota to cover high overheads due to lower sales . In my opinion Toyota simply does not bother about Indian market and that's the reason for declining or static numbers , irrespective of the wonderful & reliable products they have . If Maruti can sell SWIFT in India for less than half the amount they charge from a customer in Europe ( Minus features ) there is no reason why Toyota can't sell atleast 2000 or more Corolla's in India if they price it more competitively .

I see a value in Ciaz than a Corolla and the comparison by Aseem is certainly not out of place in my opinion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th September 2014 at 15:31.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:13   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Yes they did sold around 300 Thousand Corollas in US last year but why should a customer in India pay high rates to Toyota to cover high overheads due to lower sales . In my opinion Toyota simply does not bother about Indian market and that's the reason for declining or static numbers , irrespective of the wonderful & reliable products they have . If Maruti can sell SWIFT in India for less than half the amount they charge from a customer in Europe ( Minus features ) there is no reason why Toyota can't sell atleast 2000 or more Corolla's in India if they price it more competitively .

I see a value in Ciaz than a Corolla and the comparison by Aseem is certainly not out of place in my opinion.
I agree. Toyota does not consider Indian market worth its attention. First of all they started very late in India, that too with Taxi segment with a outdated product called "QUALIS". Then they Introduced Innova and Carolla. Then came a sub-standard Quality ETIOS. They are perpetually improving Etios as if they don't know how to make a good quality car. Have a look at the interior of 3 /4 year old ETIOS. You will hate Toyota after that.

Can't believe why are they doing this to Indian Customer. They have far superior products for the rest of the world. IMO until Toyota start thinking seriously about Indian market, Suzuki and Hyundai will rule Indian Roads with lion's share.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:59   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
I agree. Toyota does not consider Indian market worth its attention. First of all they started very late in India, that too with Taxi segment with a outdated product called "QUALIS". Then they Introduced Innova and Carolla. Then came a sub-standard Quality ETIOS. They are perpetually improving Etios as if they don't know how to make a good quality car. Have a look at the interior of 3 /4 year old ETIOS. You will hate Toyota after that.

Can't believe why are they doing this to Indian Customer. They have far superior products for the rest of the world. IMO until Toyota start thinking seriously about Indian market, Suzuki and Hyundai will rule Indian Roads with lion's share.
I beg to differ Ramesh, For every brand a developing country comes as a hope of new customer base. Agreed to the fact that they ventured here late but they did not intentionally focus on the commercial customers. It is but obvious that any car brand that has entered India so far, has come with a aim to appeal private owners but due to competition there were certain models that eventually acquired the label of Taxi/ Cab here. Let me tell you, Ertiga was launched in April 2012, it was clearly mentioned by the company not to provide it as a commercial vehicle during the initial period just to avoid this car to be stereo-typed as a Taxi/ Cab design. The reason for cars entering the commercial sector is that there is mass expansion of business in India in all sectors. Today you can find even a Honda City, BMW, Benz etc with a commercial number plate but that does not mean that these brands have shifted their focus from private to commercial customers.

If you are saying Toyota ventured into India with a Taxi like vehicle Qualis, then did TATA launch Indica with an aim to appeal the commercial buyers only?

Innova by far is the bench mark MUV in India in my view and rest all are off-shoots in some or the other way. Though Innova's present design is not to my liking and even Corolla is a fairly decent car.

Please clear my doubts here, Under which heads does Etios appear as sub-standard? Is it the integrated head rest, the vertical air vents of AC, something in technical terms or is it competition of the segment? Regarding the interiors, let me tell you, any car that is kept unkempt will appear to be a crap. However, if we keep a car in clean and good shape, then nothing of this sort can happen. I own a 3 year old Honda City Ivtec, and my drivers keep the interiors clean and even I take interest in regularly vacuuming them. If in case an Etios is driven in commercial agencies then for sure it will be dirty and this can apply to any commercial vehicle in India right from a state transport bus to a government 3 wheeler.

Also, Toyota has not side lined the Indian market, and this is evident from the launches of Fortuner, Camary et al. Also, let me settle one more thing here, Suzuki is surviving in India because it was the 1st foreign automotive brand which entered India in 80's with Maruti's joint venture. At that point of time, the competition was minuscule here as there were only 2 brands i.e Hindustan motors and Fiats with a couple of Standard cars too. They have learnt the actual success tactics and except Kizashi, all their cars were/ are sold decently.

Coming to Hyundai, They have the best fit and finish and are competitively priced in comparison to Toyota, hence they sell more in volumes. Plus, If Hyundai's list of cars is compared to Toyota (on basis of India market)then it's way longer. You may count vehicles of Toyota on fingertips but you need to write down when you recall Hyundai's list and same applies for Maruti.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 9th September 2014 at 18:18. Reason: a typo corrected
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks