Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 14:06   #991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Also I remembered that when the 3.0 was launched the specifications described it to be a great engine with lots of torque and power but did not turn out as per expectations of the real world.

So when you go for a test drive, take the 2.2l for a long drive and preferably by someone who is already driving a 3.0l, since he can actually tell the "true difference"

Then take your decision.
Thats a good idea and thats how it should be done until some reliable reviews are available for decision making. Best is TD both the versions and see for yourself.
Old 17th September 2007, 14:15   #992
BHPian

xbox360 , This is about resale value of 4 x 4.

It is difficult to find a buyer for a 4 x 4 version compared to 4 x 2.

You will not be able to recover the premium you pay to buy a 4 x 4 version , when you decide to sell it.

But 4 x 4 is the way to go if you do offroading regularly.
Old 17th September 2007, 14:32   #993
Senior - BHPian

I would never buy an SUV which just look like one... I would always go for a 4x4, even if this meant streching my budget a bit or sacrificing some creature comforts.
Even if you are not into offroading, buying a 4x4 the peace of mind is always there and who knows, knowing you have 4X4 with you, you might venture to places that you wouldnt have dared otherwise.
Old 17th September 2007, 14:46   #994
Senior - BHPian

Good so you will be one of our LTOR for 2.2L.

But at what price did you book it or is it just to block a space without knowing the pricing ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
Thanks Dadu,

That settles it. It will be a Silver VX 4X2 for me...Spoke to Pandit Auto here (Pune). He has "Booked" one for me. Delivery if all goes well in first week of October!

The blow by blow account of my Silver Beast will be recorded on one of the pages here so do drop by.

turby
Old 17th September 2007, 14:49   #995
Senior - BHPian

From the outside and inside (except for that extra 4wd switch) it still looks the same and to remind you that 4x4 does not mean you bought "superman" that will take you anywhere.

You need to know how to handle a 4x4 driving + then also it may fail you and then you will feel really disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I would never buy an SUV which just look like one... I would always go for a 4x4, even if this meant streching my budget a bit or sacrificing some creature comforts.
Even if you are not into offroading, buying a 4x4 the peace of mind is always there and who knows, knowing you have 4X4 with you, you might venture to places that you wouldnt have dared otherwise.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:12   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. An "SUV" without 4x4 is a pretender - the only advantage it has over MUVs and Vans is ground clearance.

Plus, if you're planning to stick to the highways arent you really better off with something like the Innova which has lower ground clearance and therefore better handling for that purpose? You get Toyota reliability, plenty of space and a genuine 7 seater.

When you buy a 4x2 you get all the disadvantages of an SUV (and there are many). WHy bother?

This is my line of thinking, though - I am rather hard on the vehicle as I do not hesitate before throwing anything at it (except those that I KNOW it cannot take).

You may have a different reason for buying an SUV.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th September 2007 at 17:10. Reason: OT discussions
Old 17th September 2007, 15:12   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
From the outside and inside (except for that extra 4wd switch) it still looks the same and to remind you that 4x4 does not mean you bought "superman" that will take you anywhere.

You need to know how to handle a 4x4 driving + then also it may fail you and then you will feel really disappointed
Let me reframe what I said "A 4X4 will take you places which you wouldnt have dared to, if you were driving a 4X2". I never said 4X4 will make you a superman... nevertheless, you need to know the capability of your vehicle before you decide to use them to fullest, goes without saying you need to know the working of a 4X4 before you actually use it.
To me a lighter rear wheel drive, like a Maruti Versa would be better off than heavy safari in slush and mud. Imagine the hit your ego would take when made-for-slush safari is stuck and versa strolls out!

When someone ask's "What car"... you dont ask do you know driving... goes without saying.

Also, I dont think a heavy 4X2 SUV (lookalike, if I may say so) would be good for anykind of offroading, the only advantage as steer said is the ground clearance and ride quality on really rough roads. 99% of the people buy SUV's for macho presence and sheer size and looks and hence a 4X2.... why pay .8 lakh extra when it looks just the same.
To me a lighter rear wheel drive like Maruti Versa would be a better off than a heavy Safari 4X2 in mud and slush. Imagine the hit your ego would take when your made-for-slush, huge manly safari is stuck in the slush while a versa strolls by :P

Last edited by extreme_torque : 17th September 2007 at 15:22.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:28   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To me a lighter rear wheel drive like Maruti Versa would be a better off than a heavy Safari 4X2 in mud and slush. Imagine the hit your ego would take when your made-for-slush, huge manly safari is stuck in the slush while a versa strolls by :P
Well said. A Maruti Omni might pass you by too - I have seen that vehicle being abused on some really rough roads.

If you want a 4x2 with decent ground clearance, please look at the Fiat Adventure.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:34   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you want a 4x2 with decent ground clearance, please look at the Fiat Adventure.
Err....Seems like the Adventure is now Defunct.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:38   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Agreed. An "SUV" without 4x4 is a pretender - the only advantage it has over MUVs and Vans is ground clearance.

Plus, if you're planning to stick to the highways arent you really better off with something like the Innova which has lower ground clearance and therefore better handling for that purpose? You get Toyota reliability, plenty of space and a genuine 7 seater.

When you buy a 4x2 you get all the disadvantages of an SUV (and there are many). WHy bother?

This is my line of thinking, though - I am rather hard on the vehicle as I do not hesitate before throwing anything at it (except those that I KNOW it cannot take).

You may have a different reason for buying an SUV.

@ w12 - I suggest you read Post 997 where Busa tried to say the same politely.

I am guessing your Safari is a 4X4.
If so any performance/milage issues or comparison vis a vis a 2X2?
Old 17th September 2007, 15:40   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
4X4 is around 100 kgs heavier as compared to the 4X2 version, so performance and fuel average will take some hit, though it isnt enough to keep you away from it.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:02   #1002
Senior - BHPian

This is the key, irrespective of whether you know how to drive a 4x4 or a 4x2 or not. Shouldnt get carried away.

Quote:
you need to know the capability of your vehicle before you decide to use them to fullest
btw, most ppl dont even know how to use an ABS properly leave alone other features.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:07   #1003
Team-BHP Support

People, please get back to discussing 2.2L Safari.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:17   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Dont know - I havent driven a 4x2 enough to check mileage. However a 110kg diff in kerb weight cannot possibly reduce mileage by any discernible margin, though the 4w hubs may contribute to the same.

As long as I get a MINIMUM of 10kmpl I really dont care. 1 or 2 km per litre doesnt really make a diff, especially when the difference is under optimum conditions because I dont drive optimally anyway.

EDIT: Please return to the topic as Samurai San suggests.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th September 2007 at 16:19.
Old 17th September 2007, 18:33   #1005
BHPian

Hey guys......latest from Bangalore.

Some of the changes as per the dealer in Bangalore are:

1. The roof AC is getting changed to something similar to Innova
2. The AC Vents in the front is getting a new Shape
3. The interiors is Beige
4. It is going to be Floor mounted spare wheel ( one bad thing - hope this does not happen )

Regards
Deepak
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks