Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:43   #211
BHPian

re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

The 7 speed DSG is a little bit of a dampner! Especially when everyone and their uncle was expecting it to be a 6 speed DSG. Though some pages back I remember posting that Autocar has predicted the 7 speed DSG.

I wonder if costs led them to make use of this gearbox or do they want some differentiation between this and the Jetta? Or they just love to see owners grappling with reliability issues?

This also puts a lid on any remap plans potential owners like me may have

Now to make the choice between the Rapid and the Vento. I wonder if the Vento makes any sense given that I don't really care about the brand or the interiors as unless any one of them gives me a touch screen I will change the head unit anyways.

Service may be hit and a miss for both of them. I am anyways on the lookout for servicing the current Vento at an independent garage since the extended warranty is also about to get over and more so ever since i saw a current generation F10 525d being serviced at a place where only Premier Padminis/Indicas went before.

Begs the question though is the Diesel + DSG still such a game changer given the recent fuel price difference between Petrol and Diesel? Plus I can remap the Vento TSI to an output similar to the Jetta TSI and have something the Jetta TSI doesnt (7 speed DSG).
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:16   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Plus I can remap the Vento TSI to an output similar to the Jetta TSI and have something the Jetta TSI doesnt (7 speed DSG).
Does the Jetta TSI come only with a Manual ?

The DQ200 is such an unreliable piece of equipment and yet VW keeps plonking them in cars . Infact i read somewhere that they opened a new manufacturing unit of the DQ200 after the recall in China .

This is a big disappointment
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:41   #213
BHPian

DQ200 has got such bad rep, I don't know how someone can gather courage to spend 12-13L on a car with it. Maintenance is already a pain in cities other than T1s. For example, there is only 1 service station in Ahmedabad.
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:04   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Does the Jetta TSI come only with a Manual ?
Yes if I am not mistaken the Jetta is only available with a 5 speed manual with the 1.4 TSI which produces 120 bhp and 200 nm of torque while the same engine makes 140 bhp and 250 nm of torque in the Octavia. Its a real pity that neither of these get a DSG which would have been a decent upgrade for someone moving from the Vento/Rapid segment without having to almost double your budget to go for the automatic of these vehicles.
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:39   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Yes if I am not mistaken the Jetta is only available with a 5 speed manual with the 1.4 TSI which produces 120 bhp and 200 nm of torque while the same engine makes 140 bhp and 250 nm of torque in the Octavia. Its a real pity that neither of these get a DSG which would have been a decent upgrade for someone moving from the Vento/Rapid segment without having to almost double your budget to go for the automatic of these vehicles.
Jetta 1.4 TSI comes with 6 speed manual gearbox. I took a test drive today only! Have been quite impressed with the engine.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:47   #216
Senior - BHPian

Cats out of the bag. 7 speed DSG is a sure damper. No remap potential. Skoda Rapid Elegance TDi DSG Black Edition would make a good buy. Lets see how they price Vento & Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
The DQ200 is such an unreliable piece of equipment and yet VW keeps plonking them in cars . Infact i read somewhere that they opened a new manufacturing unit of the DQ200 after the recall in China
Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
DQ200 has got such bad rep, I don't know how someone can gather courage to spend 12-13L on a car with it.
Any recent case of DQ200 failure?

In the past there have been issues with it but VAG has rectified those problems. Also the source of issue was mechatronics which used to fail due to heat. Recent change over to mineral oil from synthetic oil has rectified it. Lastly even if there are any problem with DSG, VAG is always ready to rectify it even if car is out of warranty.

So I would request you all to be abreast with latest trends.

To sum it up, driving a German car is any day more fun than driving others which have no soul. Though it has it issues but when it works, the grin you have on your face plastered fades away all the problems into oblivion.
el lobo 6061 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:17   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 7 speed DSG is a little bit of a dampner! Especially when everyone and their uncle was expecting it to be a 6 speed DSG. Though some pages back I remember posting that Autocar has predicted the 7 speed DSG.

I wonder if costs led them to make use of this gearbox or do they want some differentiation between this and the Jetta? Or they just love to see owners grappling with reliability issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Cats out of the bag. 7 speed DSG is a sure damper. No remap potential. Skoda Rapid Elegance TDi DSG Black Edition would make a good buy. Lets see how they price Vento & Rapid.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, was quite sure that it would be the 7-speed DSG. I have not seen the 6-speed DSG being used with any of the smaller engine range in VAG cars. And for the price-sensitive segment of Vento / Rapid / Polo, the 7-speed DSG makes more sense, as it is said to be more efficient (matching the Manual option), and I guess its much cheaper than the DQ250. I remember reading about a fellow member getting a quote of 6+ lakhs for gearbox replacement in his Laura TDI. That kind of repair cost will be far from ideal for a car costing 10-12 lakhs.

Good to see that finally VW have woken up to provide the Polo and Vento with the right set of options.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:28   #218
Team-BHP Support

I had expected the 7 speed DSG. As vb-san, the DQ250 is used for larger engines. I am guessing the wet type clutch DSG is larger and heavier and not suitable for the smaller engines.

Since the 1.5 TDI torque is limited to 250Nm it should be fine. I don't see much concerns in using this box with the Rapid/Vento TDI. Remember the same gearbox does duty in the Superb and Octavia 1.8TSI with a much higher power output and torque limited.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:53   #219
Senior - BHPian

I said it in post number 8 on the forum that it would be a 7 speed dsg as the Octavia is sold with that option in the UK. Like it or not, the DQ200 is a mainstream product and VAG have no intention of doing away with it. The Vento with the Jetta gearbox wouldn't sell as it would be priced out of the competing segment. The good news is for manual transmission buyers as a six speed manual is on the way, I am sure it'll get one of best mileage figures possible. All questions aside we finally have a car to replace our 2011 Fiesta at the 3 year mark.
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:49   #220
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Vento Diesel Automatic being readied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
So what has been suspected has been confirmed now, It is DQ 200 (7 speed DSG) and not DQ 250 (6 speed). So i think it is safe to expect the same in the Vento too.(After initially suggesting that it will be a 7 speed DSG, in the recent days almost every magazine/site had written that it will be the 6 speed one. it looks like Skoda most probably VW had them fooled).
Well, I am not surprised with the 7 speed DSG and rather expected it. it would be a waste of resources to not use a cheaper transmission which could do the job fine. The DQ250 with 1.5TDI would have been an overkill, and would push up the prices unnecessarily.

but one thing is for sure, people looking to remap the engine may have to look elsewhere now. there is no way the transmission will handle the additional torque.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:19   #221
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Vento/Skoda Rapid Diesel Automatic *Update: DQ200 gearbox confirmed*

Autocar reports that "Skoda Rapid diesel auto will come with 7 speed dry dual clutch DSG transmission. It is the essentially the same one (DQ200) that comes on the Polo and Vento GT TSIs."

You can read more about it in Autocar's article here

Looks like DQ250 gearbox (6 speed wet dual clutch gearbox) won't be offered. Going by the history, we can expect the Vento diesel auto to have the same gearbox.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:26   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Cruise control, ESP and Hill Hold. All three confirmed.
+ Rapid also has a card holder button (don't know how that works)
I hope this is true. The switch sure is that of ESP but the surprising thing is that none of the reviews (autocar, OD,Zigwheels, motoroids) talk about it.

The card holder is something similar to the toll ticket holder that Skodas generally have. Maybe they just changed the position from the windshield to the dash
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:52   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Cruise control, ESP and Hill Hold. All three confirmed. + Rapid also has a card holder button (don't know how that works) Another interesting observation, The vento comes with 4 factory fitted reverse parking sensors that are mostly canbus compatible (same as current setup) The rapid now comes with 3 factory fitted reverse parking sensors. (1 in the centre and two on either side). Not sure if these will be canbus compatible. Earlier there were no sensors and the same had to be fitted at the dealer level. (chinese too)
The picture showing "Card" on the dashboard should be for SD Card and not ticket holder.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:20   #224
Senior - BHPian

I don't consider myself a potential customer.

Now VW, why not throw in that sweet 138bhp, 1.4Tsi motor and offer this as yet another engine variant on the Vento. Should be a riot.
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:04   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Vento TDI DSG expected tomorrow? With all the reviews popping up, suddenly the focus seems to have shifted to the Rapid TDI DSG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks