Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 12:16   #46
BHPian

re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
Must say the manuals do a better job on highways though.
It's not simply due to manual transmission.

You have to factor in the fact that Civic has an NA engine which needs to be revved or a sudden downshift done. But a turbo charged diesel should not suffer from the same issue, so having auto ideally should be less of a hassle.

I wish my theory had been validated by some practice though to be absolutely sure
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 15:59   #47
BHPian

If this comes at all, then VW should allow me to trade my VW TDI for the AT! The clutch in teh vento grows harder with time. Even the base hardness is higher than other diesels. In the city the 3 grear actually can be used in AT mode. The vento does 20 - 90 in 3 gear. so more of less I get the feel of how the Vento AT would really be. The cost even if its marginally high is not an issue. The nearest good (usable) AT is atleast 30% more expensive.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:05   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
...The clutch in teh vento grows harder with time. Even the base hardness is higher than other diesels. ...
This is what I have been screaming the whole time but no manufacturers are ready to listen. Diesels need automatic VERY VERY badly. Diesels have high torque, which means beefier clutch plate, which in turn means harder clutch springs. Sure, they use hydraulics but it still isn't as smooth as petrol clutch. Almost 100 per cent diesel cars above 20 lakhs are automatic. But below that, we have only two.
Old 15th March 2014, 14:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

And the rumors continue to rumble on, there can't be smoke without fire.

Autocar India are talking definitively about the 1.5 Diesel+DSG coming later on this year. Very, very interesting if true since so many people have been saying that they will consider a diesel automatic very seriously. Now that it seems certain to come, let's see if everyone puts their money where their mouth is and buy this.

Personally, I think it's a good value proposition, especially for urban driving and most definitely when you pit the 4 speed Verna Diesel Auto against it. Let's see how it fares if and when it lands up.

Read the article here.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 15:08   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Autocar India are talking definitively about the 1.5 Diesel
If it will be the 1.5 ( detuned existing 1.6TDI) the Polo facelift and then the Vento AT, seem more likely since it could collect a tax saving on the car.
Then it could also be seen in the < 4m sedan that VW is speculated to bring!

Quote:
The Volkswagen Vento 1.5-litre diesel will go on sale in the latter part of this year and the DSG-equipped version is expected to cost around Rs 1 lakh more than its manual counterpart

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th March 2014 at 15:09.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:26   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Volkswagen 1.5-litre diesel will come with an automatic option.

Quote:
Volkswagen has been developing the new 1.5-litre diesel engine for the Indian market. The updated Polo and the Vento will be launched sometime in May or June this year with these new engine options.
The surprise to this package, as it will be getting this engine with a five-speed manual transmission and a seven-speed dual clutch transmission too.

This will make the Polo as the first diesel hatchback to have a seven-speed automatic transmission.

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...tion-12660.htm

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th March 2014 at 10:28.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This will make the Polo as the first diesel hatchback to have a seven-speed automatic transmission.
That's quite an ingenious move. A diesel hatchback with a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission and a 1.5L mill making it eligible to avail excise benfits would be a prodigious package if only it's priced rightly. I can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 20th March 2014 at 12:45. Reason: typo
Old 20th March 2014, 16:13   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if this would be the infamous DQ2000 box. It seems to be doing OK on the Polo GT TSI which has 170 NM of torque however the new TDI engine could have upwards of 220 NM and I wonder if the gearbox would still hold up without malfunction in the Indian conditions.
Old 20th March 2014, 18:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Even I remember Autocar and Horamzd talking about the introduction of 1.5 TDI instead of 1.6 TDI. Some thing like what Ford chose to do much earlier. 3-Cylinder engine for a premium C-segment sedan does not make sense.
Old 20th March 2014, 18:49   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even I remember Autocar and Horamzd talking about the introduction of 1.5 TDI instead of 1.6 TDI. Some thing like what Ford chose to do much earlier. 3-Cylinder engine for a premium C-segment sedan does not make sense.
Honda have done the same with the 1.5 liter diesel which is derived from the 1.6 sold in Europe.

Makes sense and a lot more refined than going for a 3-cylinder.
Old 21st March 2014, 01:19   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo, Vento to get more local content. Polo facelift coming soon.

Polo will come with a whole new set of goodies like LED-equipped headlights, an integrated reversing camera and power folding mirrors that have turn indicators incorporated into them.

Quote:
The big news, of course, is the new 89bhp 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine, specifically developed for India that will replace the unexceptional 1.2-litre three-pot diesel, which was one of the weaknesses of the car. To keep costs in check, VW will also manufacture the engine at its Chakan plant, which is a massive step towards the localisation of the car.
The surprise is that a DSG transmission for the diesel engine will also be made available at the later part of this year.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...nt-375752.aspx

Updated feature rich Vento with 1.5TDI coming , the engine is being localised at the Chakan plant.

Quote:
The Vento will get the1.5 TDi, but a more powerful version developing 104bhp, which is similar to the outgoing 1.6 diesel. The surprise is that a DSG transmission for the diesel engine will also be made available. The twin-clutch auto ’box is likely to be offered in the Vento sometime towards the end of the year.

The Vento will also get feature upgrades, most of which are focussed on the rear seats. VW has confirmed that a rear-seat entertainment package will have individual screens in the front headrests, and is on the cards, as is a higher airbag count. VW India may also spice up the Vento with generous doses of chrome accents to appeal to Indian tastes.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2014 at 15:00. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 09:31   #57
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACI
VW India may also spice up the Vento with generous doses of chrome accents to appeal to Indian tastes.
Name:  ohgodwhy.png
Views: 1689
Size:  22.6 KB

Please give us some essential and useful features instead of this useless bling. The SA Vento (sold as the Polo Sedan there) gets cruise control, side airbags, ISOFIX mounts for the rear seat among other things. And all we get is more chrome!
Old 21st March 2014, 10:36   #58
BHPian

If the Autocar articles turns out to true, a Diesel DSG Vento with higher airbag count (i presume 6) i will be really a boon to many. This will be the cheapest diesel DSG available and there will be no compromise on safety. I hope they price it reasonably. It will be an answer to my prayers as the Octavia turned out to be too expensive
Old 21st March 2014, 14:29   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Volkswagen 1.5-litre diesel will come with an automatic option.

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...tion-12660.htm
Quote:
Updated feature rich Vento with 1.5TDI coming , the engine is being localised at the Chakan plant.

Just last week you had posted that Polo/Vento facelift will come with a 3 cylinder 1.4L engine now your post says 4 cylinder 1.5L?

So many rumours and false news to mislead people. sometimes it's better to not spread these till they are confirmed.

Quite funny that 1.6L came down to 1.5L then went down to 3 cylinder 1.4L and now back to 1.5L 4 cylinder.

Now even the gearbox has changed from 6 speed to 7 speed.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3389021 (Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review)
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 17:03   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just last week you had posted that Polo/Vento facelift will come with a 3 cylinder 1.4L engine now your post says 4 cylinder 1.5L?
The change in engine decisions are seen basis VW's flip-flop view on the emerging market brand.
Now the VW's management board seem to be moving towards a budget car for emerging markets and hence the 1.5TDI gains momentum.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks