Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 11:43   #481
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Regarding the video, I agree that it looks like these guys are selling something to us that sounds a little corny!!!
But hey guys, we are looking at this a little out of context. This is the design and marketing team doing the talking and the clip is them specifically concentrating on the exterior design and the nomenclature. So, of course their brief is to dwell on those topics. give them a break guys, as weird as the video sounds.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:58   #482
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

On the design front, i think the design is tight and clean.. with none of mahindra's infamous design flourishes. The grill is slightly wacky. But what is mahindra without a little wackiness .
Another thing. A woman at the head of design of a company that is making macho SUVs. No offence, but it's like a mercenary designing pink hairclips for little girls. Is this the reason for mahindra's seemingly pointless and curvy design flourishes. and taking the whole cheetah and tank thingy a bit too seriously

Last edited by igp_79 : 30th August 2015 at 12:16.
Old 30th August 2015, 12:31   #483
Senior - BHPian

It's the empty space between the headlamp and the fender + bumper, which looks a little unproportioned. If the headlamps were bigger, maybe it would have looked better. I like the overall look, though.

I understand this is the less sporty of the two sub 4 metre SUV siblings by Mahindra. Shall surely go for a TD once it's available and see how it goes.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 15:39   #484
BHPian

That's a nice looking front bumper.

Looks like a mini Sumo Grande in my opinion and some shades on Scorpio too.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 30th August 2015 at 15:42. Reason: Images already posted!
Old 30th August 2015, 15:53   #485
BHPian

Don't companies know by now that most consumers won't fall for gimmicks. Mahindra is not alone in this the TUV300 is as tank like as the the creta is the 'perfect SUV'. Where do these marketing guys get their feedback from and what customer base they are trying to please is a puzzle.
Old 30th August 2015, 17:31   #486
BHPian

The spy shots of the undisguised TUV300 has sure drawn a lot of mixed reaction from fellow members. Please do not jump into conclusions or perceptions on the vehicles even before its unveiling. I have seen the same discussions on the XUV and new gen Scorpio thread, where people criticized the looks of the car based on the spy pics, but later on once everyone saw official unveil pics and went to the showrooms the criticism slowly died down.

In this case, the close spy pics are of the red color variant. Who knows, the looks of the car may definitely look better in lighter shades like white, silver or even grey. Infact, the black one which was spied at a distance looked nice. Guys, lets wait till the official unveil to draw conclusions. I am not saying not to voice your opinions now, but rather make complete judgments after the official unwrap of the vehicle in any thread.

Note: I respect everyone's comments on this thread and offend none here. I am just trying to encourage members to not come to conclusions even before any car is fully revealed and after fellow members post their opinions after seeing the vehicle in person. Any opinions are welcomed, correct me if I am wrong. Cheers.

Last edited by karthick_b : 30th August 2015 at 17:33.
karthick_b is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 18:59   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
The spy shots of the undisguised TUV300 has sure drawn a lot of mixed reaction from fellow members. Please do not jump into conclusions or perceptions on the vehicles even before its unveiling.
Well said Karthick. This is what I have been saying for a long time now. Why do knowledgeable members of our forum do this - I fail to understand. We have to keep in mind that this forum is a benchmark for most things automobile, irrespective of the number of wheels.

I wonder what would have happened if the Swift, which is a success story, was launched now. I am sure that most of our members would have declared it a failure. I remember that very few people liked its design during its launch, however today, after almost 10 years after its first launch, it is a roaring success.

I also find a lot of negativity being displayed against Desi manufacturers even before a vehicle has been launched. An example is the fun that is being made of the lady designer in the video and how she thought the Grill of the XUV was the best.

Let us as mature adults understand that women think differently than men and that was from the point of view of a woman. Lets just accept it and move on.

On the TUV, apart from all the brickbats and a few likes, how much is constructive criticism or feedback?

I still wonder what the nay sayers would say if the design looks very different in the flesh, M&M equips it with all the bells and whistles and prices it aggressively?

Lets wait and watch!
ksmrsm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 19:51   #488
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle looks quite good and should do well like most recent M&M SUVs. The design theme will appeal to most who anyway expect butch looks. If interiors are modern and not quirky like the Xylo this will be a good hit in cities and towns. More bad news for the Duster and Terrano.
Old 30th August 2015, 20:01   #489
BHPian

Not sure if this is a replacement of the Bolero - which sells in decent numbers.

Looks more like a Quanto replacement to me...
Old 30th August 2015, 20:53   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
P.S.: People, please stop harping about the tank like design. It is just a stupid marketing gimmick. Please dont tell me you actually expected a tank's design...! Haven't we seen many stupid marketing quotes before?
Thank you so much for clarifying. So, many posts about how this car "not looking like a tank" were sounding a bit silly to be honest.

And for those complaining, how do you explain Hyundai's "fluidic design" or 2009 Honda City's "ärrow shot form design" because neither did the city resembled an arrow nor do fluidic Hyundai's have any fluid leaking from their designs.
captain.torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 21:19   #491
BHPian

To me this does look good but only in bits and pieces not as a complete product. Seems like remake of the Xylo story where multiple design teams worked and never met each other.

Somehow I still like the design of earlier bolero exterior, and would have loved if Mahindra had carried that forward and improved on the interiors.

But I am sure Mahindra will price it well, but has a tough task since the Bolero did extremely well in non-metros and rural areas.
Old 30th August 2015, 22:06   #492
BHPian

This is what a duster can do. And look at the company it keeps.

On top of that, it easily crosses 100+ on road & gives the best ride this side of 20lacs or even more. Very few affordable designs can do that. Now that deserves the SUV moniker, irrespective of ladder frame or monocoque.

So this TUV or the likes of creta, ecosport etc should be compared to it if & only if it comes close to that level of performance. They don't deserve the "S" in SUV if they can't pull off atleast intermediate offroading, the ones that require lock, with grace. Aka AWD is a minimum requirement to get that badge. An exception to this is, the kubelwagen.

4WD/AWD safari, scorpio, duster, Thar, F1, Gurkha all are SUVs. Their 2WD versions, not so much. Just UVs.

Coming to TUV, it's a player in glorified hatch/UV market considering its refinement over bolero. It's a further stretched tall boy design tailing quanto lines, playing under 10 lacs at the lower rung of a newly opened up segment. Cross segment buys will definitely happen but those who need a duster or thar wouldn't compromise on the core.
SandyX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 22:27   #493
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
This is what a duster can do. Now that deserves the SUV moniker, irrespective of ladder frame or monocoque.

So this TUV or the likes of creta, ecosport etc should be compared to it if & only if it comes close to that level of performance. They don't deserve the "S" in SUV if they can't pull off atleast intermediate offroading, the ones that require lock, with grace. Aka AWD is a minimum requirement to get that badge. An exception to this is, the kubelwagen.

4WD/AWD safari, scorpio, duster, Thar, F1, Gurkha all are SUVs. Their 2WD versions, not so much. Just UVs.

Coming to TUV, it's a player in glorified hatch/UV market considering its refinement over bolero. It's a further stretched tall boy design tailing quanto lines, playing under 10 lacs at the lower rung of a newly opened up segment. Cross segment buys will definitely happen but those who need a duster or thar wouldn't compromise on the core.
But then is that not an AWD duster with MT tyres. By the same logic most of the dusters on road too should not have the S initial?
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 22:34   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
But then is that not an AWD duster with MT tyres. By the same logic most of the dusters on road too should not have the S initial?
Exactly. Ethically, they should be UV only. But i must add 2WD dusters have been to some fairly tough spots, same with a few other designs. I know it's a tricky argument but i'm just bummed out with every other entrant starting to call glorified hatches as SUVs. That abbr used to mean something once.

Actually make it capable of doing something sporty beyond what a high GC sedan or hatch can do & earn the badge. It's just sad to see posers coming around with "true blue" & "perfect suv" kind of drivel.

Last edited by SandyX : 30th August 2015 at 22:42.
Old 30th August 2015, 22:57   #495
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Exactly. Ethically, they should be UV only. But i must add 2WD dusters have been to some fairly tough spots, same with a few other designs. I know it's a tricky argument but i'm just bummed out with every other entrant starting to call glorified hatches as SUVs. That abbr used to mean something once.

Actually make it capable of doing something sporty beyond what a high GC sedan or hatch can do & earn the badge. It's just sad to see posers coming around with "true blue" & "perfect suv" kind of drivel.
The traits that defines ones own "SUV" are upto each individual. For most the TUV would be SUV enough. When I drove the Aria and the Safari I used to possibly wrongly think that it is silly to call the Duster an SUV. Frankly it is about which trait is more important.

For example for me recently water wading capability has become of utmost impt. Hence EcoSport. So all the so called SUV including AWD Duster and Scorpio, XUV, Storme fail even with 4x4 due to only 350 mm capability vs 500 bettered only by pajero and fortuners of the world.

This is just an example and the EcoSport for me fails in one other critical SUV capability to go over rough roads at high speed without the occupants feeling anything and that the TUV 300 may do well though the Duster and Storme do best.

Criterias differ for individuals and for some it may just the looks. TUV does look the part.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks