Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 08:14   #451
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

I like the looks from the front. It looks like a well executed mix of Bolero and Jeep design.

Boxy looks from the side. Well many SUVs have boxy looks, so that is not a look which will shock/surprise people. Blends well with the overall design.

Rear is just about ok. Too Quanto-ish but no deal breaker.

With less than 2weeks for launch, curious about the interiors and variants offered.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:56   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Only M&M? Really? What do you call Uno, Qualis, Ritz? Graceful swans? And TUV is not half as ugly as S-Cross.
Uno isn't ugly per se. In fact it's a really balanced Italian design. Maybe you don't have an eye for the simplicity of the Uno. The Qualis isn't really gorgeous either, but it isn't particularly ugly. And remember, it was built for a purpose, which it serves very darn well. Ritz, well its just awkward, not completely UGLY. It doesn't convince, but doesn't hurt the eye of one seeing it. And S-Cross is small, a bit too much for an SUV, but again, it's not ugly (except the grille).
What one could call ugly, are - the backside of the new Scorpio, the entire original XUV, (yes, the ones who find it beautiful, do so mostly due to the size, fancy additions, and Jeep-like feel. On its own, with the blackened pillars, Jeep grille, roof rails, chrome garnishing, etc. removed, and the real Mahindra design exposed, it will look horribly ugly!!) also the Quanto, pre-facelift Xylo, the new Dzire, etc. The TUV, for once, doesn't fall into the 'ugly' category, but the 'slightly awkward' category. In fact, if not for the stupidity with the pillars, it would have looked the best compact UV around.

Last edited by mukul32 : 29th August 2015 at 09:01.
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 09:24   #453
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Well the Uno, not exactly a pretty car imho, isn't half terrible when compared to some of the other things Fiat have come up with:

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-fiatmultipla_650_7.jpg

So yes there are degrees of how awful designs can get. TUV isn't really a looker, but I guess it could have been a whole lot worse.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:09   #454
Senior - BHPian

I cannot understand why on earth some BHPians compare this car with the two GREAT cars, Uno and Qualis.

The Fiat Uno was launched in 1983 and was the European car of the year - 1984. An estimated 8.8 million cars were sold before the production ended.

The Qualis "version" of the Toyota Kijang was launched in 1986. The car was not only a hit but was the segement-leader also in every country it was sold for several years. It's design is still being studied by many a production / automation / automotive / mech engineering student and professional because in 1987, the cost of assembling one was 42% cheaper than that of the mighty (colossus, in terms of MBA-speak) but physically much-smaller Corolla.

I own two great cars, by God's grace: am a XUV / Punto owner and I won't buy this car just like I won't give a second look at the Multipla, period ; this is certainly a failure as far as the looks are concerned. Comparing this car with a Uno is like comparing James Hadley Chase with Arthur Conan Doyle, IMHO.

I assume by means of Tank they were talking about this:
Attached Thumbnails
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-_35.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th August 2015 at 10:15.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 10:10   #455
BHPian

I like the design very much! Few updates from someone who attended the session on TUV
1. Top end to get 5 speed AMT and price to be less than 10L (ex showroom - Delhi)
2. 3 pot 80 PS engine
3. No petrol engine now
4. RWD
5. 198 mm GC
6. 215/75 R15 tyres
7. 230 NM torque at very low RPM (he said at 1000 but I think he missed some bits)
8. Dealers have started taking order (IIRC @50,000) (Delhi)

My say: Quanto RIP! The existing Quanto C8 was priced very similarly (~9 ex showroom). I thought that AMT would be USP for Quanto to start with, but with the TUV pricing, I see very few people option for 100ps Quanto with its looks!
We have seen the facelift of Quanto, which M&M took very very literally (no rear updates). I don’t see a price bracket for Quanto now, and M&M has plans to put Quanto in between TUV 300 and Scorpio!

For TUV 300, I think it will sell very well and I will not be surprised if it beats Scorpio. It will surely come in my list if offered with 4wd+AMT+>100ps engine.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 10:11   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Some more images of TUV300 without any camouflages.

Credit:- Carwale

Attachment 1408486
I think it is a very good effort by Mahindra. Much better than the forced quirks they have bestowed upon the XUV and Scorpio of late.

I think it will look better with two changes
1. Black cladding on C pillar to give it a floating roof.
2. Change the grille after market to either a seven slot traditional Jeep grille which Mahindra could obviously not do because of Jeep trademark reasons or a simple mesh grille in black color.

An ofcourse bigger wheels. A wannabe SUV cannot ride on the dinky wheels that are currently there. There is enough clearance for 17" SUV tires on the car methinks.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 10:13   #457
BHPian

TUV 3OO is definitely not ugly its just plain n simple (which is actually a good thing). It looks as tall as bolero and taller but at the same time shorter than Innova. Aerodynamics may not be best in the class here.

Its old school and there are plenty if people who prefer things that way.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 10:16   #458
BHPian

Wow.... it looks great!! I would like to see it in flesh.

Already visited Royal Motors, Kolkata for advance booking and to get detailed information. They neither have the vehicle nor any information!

I have received mail from Mahindra that advance booking will start from 1st September. I am planning to visit showroom again on that day for booking.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:29   #459
BHPian

This looks almost like Sumo Grande except for few differences like, square arch instead of rounded arch. Hope the interiors atleast are better than Grande.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:36   #460

I think this a great car to be bought and do customisation
X202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 11:02   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
2. 3 pot 80 PS engine

All these days thought it was just an engine code. Can't understand why they are detuning it to 80ps when the Quanto already makes 100bhp.

Just hope this piece of news is false.
Old 29th August 2015, 11:04   #462
BHPian

I like the looks. It is simple and neat. Looks like mix of design elements from Bolero and Quanto. I am guessing, this will be priced above Quanto

I will like to look the car in flesh. If the top end comes with AMT and is priced less than 10L (ex showroom Bangalore ), then I may give it a serious consideration after a TD.
Old 29th August 2015, 11:40   #463
BHPian

Does anyone else share an opinion that its an out of proportion design especially from the side profile? Case in point being the Quanto, new Thar with plastic fenders. This seriously compromises the character of the car and reduces its customer appeal. Wish for better designs from the company that gave us the XUV5OO and the 1st and 2nd gen Scorpio.
Old 29th August 2015, 11:43   #464
BHPian

Torque seems to be alright but sincerely hope the power is at least 100 or up north of it
Old 29th August 2015, 12:19   #465
BHPian

Remember reading an article quite a while ago. that this model was envisaged to be a sort of sub-4m version of the Bolero, so that price (tax) benefits could be leveraged and passed on to the consumers.

If that logic still stands, the pricing may surprise all positively - in which case the design should be acceptable for the target consumers.

From another perspective, it would mean getting a better looker than the Quanto at a lower price, which may also indicate why the engine has been dropped to 80 PS against the Quanto's 100 PS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks