Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 22:12   #436
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

In my opinion TUV300 looks good, I somehow like the shape. But my question is that will it be able to replace Bolero? As per my opinion Bolero has its own cult, it stands for toughness and durability. TUV300 no doubt looks good and nice GC as well, but I dont think it will ever be able to replace the following of the Bolero or ever stand close to what the Bolero is.
I am eagerly waiting for the official review of this vehicle from our expert Team BHPians.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 22:22   #437
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
You are not the only one, I too feel it is one ugly contraption. Only M&M can make designs as ugly as this.
Only M&M? Really? What do you call Uno, Qualis, Ritz? Graceful swans? And TUV is not half as ugly as S-Cross.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 22:25   #438
Senior - BHPian

The design is boxy but isn't ugly bad. It also looks a little like the Skoda Yeti (side profile at least).

Forget the looks and design. Is Mahindra seriously considering QA checks? or is this TUV300 also likely to be plagued with issues and niggles like the XUV500 had, for nearly 4 years (and continuing)?

How many here are lining up to buy this and beta test for Mahindra? (this is the biggest concern).
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 22:27   #439
BHPian

It is still butt ugly. looks like they ran out of moolah to pay Pininfarina by the time it was half done. Then our world famous took over.
Old 28th August 2015, 23:00   #440
BHPian

Yes the design is boxy but not as bad as thought it would be. If the side cladding is added it would look better and break the large single color metal thus giving it a lil more character.

It is still to be seen if M&M can break their jinx of niggles and deliver a improved package this time with TUV300 unlike its predecessors
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 23:01   #441
BHPian

The Back profile is not doing justice to the well executed front. I somehow feel it will be much better looking in flesh than in photos. But TUV300 is much better than most of recent wannabe SUV's like BRV, S-Cross, Avventura, Etios Cross etc. Will keep my comments reserved once i see in person. M&M can still call the TUV300 as SUV due to its underpinnings unlike the other cars mentioned. I have seen the camouflaged Test Drive Cars in person and didnt feel it was too big or the height is too much for a shorter Car.

A well designed rear spoiler could have made a lot of difference in the looks.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 28th August 2015 at 23:17.
ashok_lat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 23:10   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Only M&M? Really? What do you call Uno, Qualis, Ritz? Graceful swans? And TUV is not half as ugly as S-Cross.

Oh ho why are you Upset? I just told that in my opinion it is ugly. You may want to call it fantastic and that is your opinion. I don't know why the other cars have been brought in this comparison? Do you have any problem if I stick to my opinion?
Old 28th August 2015, 23:12   #443
BHPian

For people pointing out the JEEP inspirations, haven't M&M always had that jeep hangover in all their designs? To me its just an evolution of the bolero front

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-105.jpg

And some visual comparisions for people who think this is just another quanto.

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-01.jpg

The Problem with quanto was that it was a chop-job of the Xylo which itself was no beauty contest winner.

This ones a chop job on an "upgraded" Bolero. Doesn't seem that Bad to me.
Its just like all sub-4m designs, it ends abruptly. The ones that don't look like hatch on stilts.

If pricing of the quanto is anything to go by, the top model TUV will retail at well below/around 10lac OTR, and thats where you ignore the chopped portion.

The ecosport (hatch on stilts?) is a better design, if M&M undercut it price-wise, this will make more sense to the urban buyer.
Also I believe this is not targeted at the ecosport buyer, for that the S101 (another hatch on stilts?) is being readied.

People who have the money can always go for bigger models, by designing the models under the sub-4m constraint,
manufacturers only try to add value and sell it a segment lower.

And as mentioned in another thread, I think the sub-4m designs are evolving.
This is better proportioned than the quanto, in the coming years we will find these designs will get better.

Designing a good car with a smaller carbon footprint. That could be the Indian contribution to the automotive world.
400notout is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 23:56   #444
BHPian

Well i could not find tank inspired design cues on this car. Yes they have done a n okay job with the front part but somehow the rear does not look good. Looks IMO are subjective but the main question that needs to be answered here is what kind of electronics has M&M provided in this.
Someone on this thread referred to beta testing which I think is a bit harsh on the manufacturer but I hope if it is only minor niggles then the prospective customer would not have to wait for the 2.0 release of this car.
Why did Mahindra not do something like Hyundai where they shrunk the Santa Fe design and came up with the Creta. A shrunk, minorly modified XUV would have had more people looking at this.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 00:08   #445
Senior - BHPian

I find the design quite attractive in pictures, although it is a wee bit taller. If they can extend this body-shell to make the Xylo look like TUV3OO ...

I wont give a final vote on the design till I see the car in flesh. Please note that photographs have a tendency to change the actual appearances as they are 2D prints of a 3D object (Professional photographers will agree). For example, a photo clicked from top of a subject makes the head looks bigger than torso (Selfies ?)

Last edited by NiInJa : 29th August 2015 at 00:14.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 00:28   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
A shrunk, minorly modified XUV would have had more people looking at this.
Yes I think that approach could have resulted in a better design. However that might have been considered as a marketing mistake as people might not want to buy a vehicle that is a watered down/inferior version of the XUV. Making it seem like an "upgrade" from Bolero might sell more.

The story is a bit different with Sante Fe-Creta relationship since Santa Fe belongs to a more expensive SUV segment and it's probably 'socially acceptable' to derive from a vehicle that is expensive enough as Sante Fe.

PS: I'm no expert at this. Just speculating. : )
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 01:33   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally find the design acceptable. And guys, this is
much better than Quanto. I find the rear (tail lights) more comparable to a Yeti and spare wheel cover looks too much like Quanto.

Clean lines & hopefully a good interior will promise a lot of buyers. And yes Mahindra, I just expect 50% quality interior as that of a Hyundai & I am realistic in my expectation.

Hope this also brings in a good engine, NVH levels & comfort factor.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 02:06   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Uno and Qualis are more than 2 decade old designs, and were taken of the shelf since a decade or more. Whats your point ?

Ritz is quirky, but frankly S-Cross isn't ugly. It looks plain for sure, but definitely not ugly like say a Quanto.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 07:21   #449
BHPian

Some more images of TUV300 without any camouflages.

Credit:- Carwale

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300design.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300exterior.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300front.jpg
MaxTorque is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 08:06   #450
BHPian

^^ Something is just not right with the grille-headlite section. It's not in tune with the classy lower bumper part. Why cant they just design things without stretching them all the way around the car. They went with XUV style headlites & now it's a hackjob. For some reason. i find rear acceptable. The only 'too' odd part is that slant at the bottom of headlites. Should've made it more square.
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks