Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2017, 21:44   #781
BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
Probably we are getting the term 'introductory prices' wrong.
Exactly my thought. "Introductory price" could be something like a jacked up initial price which is bound to be reduced to a more logical one in a few weeks/months.
anish5225 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:02   #782
BHPian

They seem to be repeating S-Cross history here. I remember the intial pricing shock which nobody could withstand with and Maruti has to reprice it and even offer original customers some complementary things after the price cut.

I love the product and was going to suggest it to my younger brother over Baleno but now it doesn't seem logical.
//M6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:11   #783
BANNED

Greed. Or a planned up-prizing? Whatever it is, too much optimistic prizing. Petrol starting price is "OK", but the gaps between higher models are way too high, making it a "greedy" pricing.

One thing is sure, that Maruti wants to cash-in on the SUV craze, but don't want to cannibalize their other models like Swift and Baleno. So, SUV-hungry people may go for Ignis, and others will stick to the above ones.

Ignis can act as a second car for the cash-rich people for their urban uses. 50K may not be a big money for them, but a "stylish" (?) compact city car may be their ultimate need in the current city traffic conditions. So, target may be the Hyundai hatches as well.

I still hope for a rear-lifted Ritz priced 50K below Swift, to cater to the money-conscious common man, not for the spend-thrift millennial! In Maruti stable, Wagon-R and Celerio are too small, while Ignis, Swift and Baleno are too costly for them. i10 starts even above Swift!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th January 2017 at 22:20.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:15   #784
BHPian

Well , i guess that's just how the pricing is these days , in an ideal world it should result in a big flop but here in today's times , one just cannot say.

I was in a similar dilemma recently when i was looking for a replacement for my Chevy Cruze.
We had a budget of around 15 lakhs and the only thing that we could buy for that money was Creta 1.6 diesel SX (that's the lowest for 1.6 manual Creta)

Now read carefully
Chevrolet Cruze LTZ MT - On road (2012)- 15.65 L
2.0 L engine 150Bhp/320Nm
Leather Seats , Leather Steering
Keyless entry with Start/Stop function
Electric Sunroof
Automatic Dimming Rear view mirror
Solid Build all around with doors closing with a Thud
Height Adjustable Seatbelts
All 4 disc brakes with excellent braking capability
Knitted Roof
Arguably better interior Quality than C2 segment sedans atleast (Honda City , VW vento etc)

Creta 1.6 SX - On Road (2016) - 14.80L (plus additional corporate registration charges)
1.6 L engine 128Bhp/265Nm
No leather Wrapped Steering
Fabric Seats
No engine start/stop button / Keyless Entry
Inferior Build Quality
No Sunroof
Rear Drum brakes with average performance
No auto dimming rear view mirror
Nothing extra whatsoever
And still it is selling like hot cakes and we just booked one last week (After numerous discussions, research,test drives ofcourse)
Now even i feel this is heavily overpriced and banged my head with the wall several times but what other option do we have , prices in the last 2-3 years have dramatically increased for no good reason whatsoever.
This is clearly a segment lower than my Cruze.

I bought a City Diesel in 2014 and Creta clearly belongs to that segment (Quality and build wise) and not to the entry level D segment (which is dead anyways) yet it is priced like one and it sells really well.

Same story here , we just cannot predict how the market will respond to this but all the negativity aside , i do think the car looks young and that effort seems to have paid off in the interiors especially.
Since Baleno is priced so close i was just checking out its interiors and they do look more conventional and less sporty than this. They are trying to market this as a car for youngsters and they might just get away with it.

I think Maruti India is trying their best to market and present the car given to them by Suzuki Japan , i noticed this with Brezza too that they created enough hype and added just the right spices to make it a huge success.
It was not exactly a great design to begin with but they added that stuff what we usually get from the aftermarket like 2 tone exterior colour (Car wraps are a thing here in NCR atleast) , Projection Headlamps (We love getting these installed too in this part of the Country) , Cool looking inserts to the interiors , and a punchy Diesel engine which we have all loved driving at some point.
All the aftermarket things that can tastefully make any car look much better , Maruti India provided this from their end and made the car much more desirable that it originally would have been.

Will have to see this car in person to comment about its interior Quality but from what i see , it feels and looks nice enough and they seem to be pulling off a Brezza with this too.

The rear end does look ancient and reminds me of Maruti 800 First Gen , and Ritz with its wierd looking back was not that successful either but lets see how things turn out for this.

Apart from this i see the base petrol Variant costs about 5 Lakhs on road Delhi
We were looking for a car for my sister. (Will be her first)
Now a decently loaded Kwid with basic features costs about 3.8 Lakhs (0.8 L engine)
Wagon R LXi about 4.5 Lakhs (K-10 3 cylinders)
Now just for 50k more if we purchase an Ignis
We get 2 Airbags and ABS (which are alone worth 50k in my books)
A bigger , newly engineered car with better Quality overall
A bigger , punchier and more refined 4 cylinder Engine (1200CC K 12)
Does'nt look like that bad a deal to me.
Rocketscience is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:16   #785

For 20-25 K more you get the VW Ameo 1.5 Diesel comfortline, Ford Figo Aspire 1.5 Titanium plus and so many other options. They are definitely better engineered, build and have better engines as well. I was first turned away by the ugly design and now they come up with this pricing. I'm not sure if these guys even do basic market research and value the sentiments of the consumers. It's got 'Failure' written all over it now.

All the best to Maruti and NEXA in selling this contraption!!
Mad4bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:23   #786
Senior - BHPian

The same nonsense which was done with the S-Cross 1.6 being repeated . After getting their fingers burnt once, they are doing the same again!!! Possibly the success of the Baleno has gone to their heads.

So now only the Baleno is going to be the volume bringing car for NEXA. Why would anyone buy this when at the same price there are so many good cars from other brands and even the Baleno?

Ridiculous, the post introductory pricing is going to be cheaper than the current price. I dont think they would even need to bother keeping too much space for the Ignis as well.

The one good thing about S-Cross was, only the pricing was bad and the car as a package was good. Hoping to hear from the official review on this car
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:50   #787
BHPian

Whoa !

MSIL scored a self-goal with the pricing and messed it up completely.

You have one cult-car like Swift and one handsome successful car , Baleno sitting almost in the same price band and I see no reason why the customer should choose Ignis over those two, which appear more VFM on any given day and lets not talk about the competition from other brands.

The only plausible reason that one can think of to go for Ignis is ' to be different' but the tradeoff does not really appear appealing.

The Swift is still 'Swift' in its sales and does own a heritage while Baleno balances by compensating to the other premium tastes, I see no place for 'Ignis' unless it has some exquisite USP !

Good job Maruti !

Last edited by poised2drive : 13th January 2017 at 22:57.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:51   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Well , i guess that's just how the pricing is these days , in an ideal world it should result in a big flop but here in today's times , one just cannot say.
Very Well Said. These days it feels like rather than adding features manufactures are on feature reduction spree. On the other hand Prices are touching skies and above all people are still in line to have their hands on those products. For me one such product other than Creta is Innova Crysta (no offense to anyone), it is no where close to as per its price currently.

To find worthy replacement for Cruze is tough. But i would suggest S-Cross 1.6 Alpha. You will get:
1.6l engine specs 118Bhp/320Nm
Leather Upholstery
Strong Build Quality (Unlike any other Maruti)
Spacious and Comfortable
TouchScreen ICE (May support Auto Android by an update)
Cruise Control
198mm GC
Projector Headlamps
Automatic Dimming Rear view mirror with Camera Support
All Four Disc Brakes

Other Than this i would say have a look at XUV 500. Select the variant as per your Budget. No other car comes close to what you have earlier and the price bracket you are looking into.

P.S.: I'm not related to Maruti or Mahindra.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th January 2017 at 23:14. Reason: Quote only relevant portions of posts please. Spell-check, grammar.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 23:05   #789
Senior - BHPian

So if the Ritz is discontinued and given that the new Swift is likely to be more expensive than the current one, Maruti ends up with a big gap between the Celerio and the Ignis. The Grand i10 has slotted perfectly into that gap too.

Not very clever from Maruti.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 23:12   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Very Well Said. These days it feels like rather than adding features manufactures are on feature reduction spree. On the other hand Prices are touching skies and above all people are still in line to have their hands on those products. For me one such product other than Creta is Innova Crysta(No Offence to anyone), it is no where close to as per its price currently.

To find worthy replacement for Cruze is tough. But i would suggest S-Cross 1.6 Alpha. You will get
1.6l engine specs 118Bhp/320Nm
Leather Upholdstry
Strong Build Quality (Unlike any other Maruti)
Spacious and Comfortable
TouchScreen ICE (May support Auto Android by an update)
Cruise Control
198mm GC
Projector Headlamps
Automatic Dimming Rear view mirror with Camera Support
All Four Disc Brakes

Other Than this i would say have a look at XUV 500. Select the variant as per your Budget. No other car comes close to what you have earlier and the price bracket you are looking into.

P.S: i'm not related to Maruti or Mahindra.
This will be taking the thread , so i'am going to try to keep this small and conclusive.

We did consider XUV 500 too among many others and it was indeed a close call between that and the Creta , but i could not live with the sub par interior Quality and laughably bad dealership experience, and dad was never comfortable with getting a Mahindra no matter how hard i tried to convince him otherwise.
Our test drive vehicle being extremly noisy (from 2800 rpm onwards) and stories of niggles from his friends did'nt help its cause either.
I feel it is pretty good for what it offers and might be the last value for money vehicle on offer in today's extremly crazy market !

S cross was never considered though , both of us were never fond of how it looked and it never excited me at all , it just lacked that connection.

And not only Creta or Innova Crysta
The new fortuner , the BMW 3 (was 31 after discount in 2013 , about 42 after discounts now) , Audi A4 , C Class and many more cars from almost all the segments have seen drastic increase in their prices in the past 2-3 years.
We had almost finalised on the new tuscon and would have been happy to pay in the vicinity 20L for the base diesel (5 Lakhs more than the Creta) , but it was launched at 26.6 On Road so that was dropped too.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 13th January 2017 at 23:17.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 23:57   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Awesome prices! May be those who sell one kidney to buy an iPhone can sell the other to buy an Ignis!
The Maruti manager guy actually said that the target customer owns an IPAD
Old 14th January 2017, 00:17   #792
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
Will set them right later once market conveys the exact worth of the product.
I only have one thing to say here to Maruti Suzuki and all the big heads who decided the "Introductory Prices"

Name:  grabaplateathrowitonthegroundok3460191.png
Views: 6257
Size:  152.1 KB

^^Broken plate here is what I can see happening to the Ignis and the "Sorry" being said by customers is what will be Maruti's condition when it fails to move out of the showroom floor.
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 00:51   #793
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If Maruti considers it as a replacement for Ritz, it has to start at 4.3L ex-showroom for base Petrol. There is a big vacuum at that price point. But since all the models are equipped with dual airbags and ABS as standard, and with the Nexa effect, this may not happen. But it cannot go above the bigger Swift, or go closer to the premium Baleno as well. So, a base price of 4.6L is possible.
I guess Maruti read my post before pricing Ignis petrol base variant, but as I didnt give pointers on how to price the higher variants, they did the mistake.

Source: https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ight-19858.htm

Cardekho's analysis on the pricing.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 14th January 2017 at 01:14.
Old 14th January 2017, 00:56   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this is Maruti's attempt to try a Creta-pricing-exercise emulation here.

They have a product which is different and unconventional (Kwid-esque, if I may say so), a couple of "tried-and-tested-on-umpteen-products" engines, Maruti badge, diesel AGS offerings (not seen in this segment), a huge tablet-touchscreen Head Unit which people love (look what it did to the Kwid's success), and not much of a direct competition in the market, except perhaps the Mahindra KUV100 (all the rest in the Ignis's pricing segment are proper hatchbacks).

If the product goes on to taste success, well and good.

An informed buyer will compare the pricing to the Swift/Baleno or even the DZire, and might pick up the more "premium"/higher-segment offering for a few thousands extra. For the sedan-conscious buyers, they have the Ciaz for comparison. For those who love their pseudo-SUVs, there's the Brezza option.

Overall, if the customer stays in the company even if he prefers something else to the Ignis, it's still a win for Maruti.

Between the Swift, Baleno, DZire, Brezza & the Ciaz, now there's SIX products from the same stable to choose from. The customer need not go anywhere else, unless he chooses to ignore how much the VFM factor has risen in favour of the Grand i10 and the Figo. (even the Polo diesel, to an extent)

But, except for the Hyundai, there's no other offering in this price range which is giving Maruti a run for it's money. So they won't be bothered about competition too much, since most competitors are in-house offerings anyway.

Pretty smart move.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th January 2017 at 01:02.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 01:36   #795
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The Ignis actually happens to be ~ 26k rupees cheaper (on-road in Chennai) when compared to its main direct rival, the KUV1OO, for the base petrol variants with 2 airbags & ABS (Ignis Sigma vs. KUV1OO K2+).

However, the top diesel variant of the Ignis is a whopping ~ 95k costlier (on-road in Chennai) than the KUV1OO's top diesel variant (Ignis Alpha vs. KUV1OO K8).

The Ignis may still manage to outsell the KUV1OO, but just not in the 4:1 or 5:1 ratio that I thought it would. The ratio is more likely to be closer to 2:1 than 3:1, let alone more.

Last edited by RSR : 14th January 2017 at 01:42.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks