Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 17:45   #2161
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
With a Tata, you'll blame Tata. With a Hyundai you'll blame traffic.
WoW! Excellent comment. Similarly, when a Tata car tops a car survey satisfaction list, some would say, "these surveys cannot be trusted". But if it's their choice car, then the same survey becomes very trust-worthy, authentic and benchmark.
pgsagar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:53   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
A petrol car under 10L budget, with some inner city travel and occasional highway drives.

1. Good looking car.
That is subjective, but for me, i20 has killer looks (top trim with alloys)

Quote:
2. Above average interiors. After checking out the interiors of I20, the only other car which had a decent interior was Nexon.
Havent checked Nexon interiors in person yet, but I own an i20 and I can say for sure that there is no cost cutting as far as interiors are concerned.

Quote:
3. Good ICE.
Stock ICE of i20 is decent, but if Nexon is being offered with the famed Harmon Kardon set up, the i20 ICE does not hold a candle to it.

Quote:
4. Comfortable ride quality.
i20 has a very comfortable ride, with neutral handling

Quote:
Dilemmas:
1. I20 is tried and tested product, with minor niggles here and there.
2. I20 has become too common on the roads. So the urge to go towards Nexon.
Agreed on both counts, but any popular car will get common on our roads. Popularity also gives better resale. Also, i20 may have become common, it is still looks hot.

Quote:
3. The fear of first batch of Tata cars having issues, if Nexon had released some months ago, then I would have bought the Nexon without second thoughts.
Cannot comment much here. Maybe your concerns are correct, but I believe there haven't been much issues with the Zest/Bolt.
Quote:
4. Fuel Efficiency in a new 3-Cyl Turbocharged engines. I am not expecting 20kmpl, even around 13-15kmpl would do.
i20 for sure is not good at being fuel efficient. Hyundai is so confident of it that none of its cars till Creta have the MID which shows instant FE. That changes as soon as you hit the highways though. I get between 9-10 in city since my office is barely 3 kms. But as soon as on highways, that figure can go up to 15 or higher.

Quote:
5. Resale value of Tata cars.
Agreed. Resale of Tata cars is terrible. But then I would not think too much about it. Buy the car you like, and not the one what resells better.

Quote:
6. Most importantly, delivery of the car by October end or November 1st week at the max.
I have booked the car because we need the car by October end but waiting for the test drive to take a final call.
If already booked, I do not see why that Oct end delivery should be a problem.
vinit.merchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:54   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Which dealer started offering test drives in Bangalore?
KHT Motors, Kundahalli. There was a small confusion regarding the test drive. I thought KHT Domlur had called, but it was from Kundahalli. I don't want to get stuck in the Marathalli-Kundahalli traffic, so will wait for couple of days for the TD vehicle to arrive in Domulr.
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 18:22   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The i20 Active is no benchmark of power + fuel efficiency either. I drive an Xcent petrol. In city traffic it gives me a mileage of 11-12 kmpl and I am fairly gentle with the throttle. With additional weight of i20 Active, it would be too much to expect 13-15 kmpl from the same engine. Performance will degrade too.

With the Nexon, my only concern will be NVH of the petrol engine. Power should be decent going by reviews & I expect mileage to be acceptable too.
Totally agree with you. The Hyundai 1.2 Petrol is no mileage champion. It used to be a guzzler in my earlier i10 Kappa. In fact it boasts a good low end torque but not very revv friendly. These characteristics are very similar to Tata's newer petrol engines as I have experienced with the Revotron in my Bolt.
On NVH, Tata is the probably the only car maker who provides very good sound insulation layers within the bonnet sheet metal even for their petrol cars.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 20:03   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Dilemmas:
3. The fear of first batch of Tata cars having issues, if Nexon had released some months ago, then I would have bought the Nexon without second thoughts.
4. Fuel Efficiency in a new 3-Cyl Turbocharged engines. I am not expecting 20kmpl, even around 13-15kmpl would do.
Two points from my end. My friend owns an i20 Elite (P) and he gets 9-10 kmpl in Hyderabad city usage.

Second, the same engine is being used in the Tiago and Tigor, although in NA form. We haven't come across any user complaining about engine issues. The FE reported by the users have been good (12-14 kmpl). That should allay some of your fears. However, to point to note is a heavier vehicle (Nexon) running on a turbocharged version of the engine.

Tata also did a 50k km non-stop run on the Tiago twins, Zest and Bolt. It was covered in detail on our forum. End result of the run, no issues were faced by those vehicles.
Hope it helps in some way.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th September 2017 at 20:07.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 20:23   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
With a Tata, you'll blame Tata. With a Hyundai you'll blame traffic.

On the other hand if you remain conscious that this is a 110bhp engine, she might not disappoint.
What a line! Classic!

Nexon has been tested for 1.7 lakh kms. It was mentioned in one of the auto-portal reviews.
Similarly, it seems they have already tested the Tiago Electric for 1 lakh kms.

Concorde, Prabhadevi, Mumbai called. Vehicle in showroom. Test-drives available. Might go to check it out over the weekend. Seems to be in good demand already.

For the member under dilemma between i20 and Nexon, go for the i20. Looking at your list, it definitely feels you will regret your decision with Nexon sooner or later. Although, that doesn't mean Nexon is the loser or inferior one between the two. It has a large number of positives over the i20, but you don't seek any of those. Nexon has fabulous NVH levels. Check out the reviews. Frankly, if we start listing the positives it will only add to your dilemma. Drive them both. Back to back. For at least 10 kms in mixed traffic. Thrice. When you are going for your third test drive - the car you look forward to driving and the car you exit with a smile - that's the one you should buy.

Another observation from my end.
My Tiago - 1.2L NA 3 cylinder - in Automatic and city mode - gives 11.1 to 11.5 kmpl when my wife drives it.
Gives 9.7 to 10.3 when I drive it.
Same car. In Manual mode - gives 12.2 to 12.8 when I drive it in the same conditions. (pure city stop-gap traffic zero highway)
Out on the highway - 17.5 kmpl minimum. Any mode. Max noted is 18.8 kmpl so far (3010 kms till date}
Dr.Suraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 20:27   #2167
Senior - BHPian

When we are talking about diesel in Nexon, it's a new one. Though the Zest was a new car, the engine was tries and tested in its 90 hp guise. The main things to test were suspension, NVH, ride and handling, comfort. The car topped in all these. My point is, the drive train factor is very well on one's mind in case of Nexon.

As to the initial batches of Tata cars, it was an old story. No major issues since Zest.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:02   #2168
BHPian

Guys, especially those who get insider info on Tata, any clue about their progress on diesel automatic? How's the engine plus amt combination working?
Old 11th September 2017, 21:43   #2169
BHPian

I made a visit to Mallik Motors, Banjara Hills today morning after a mind draining meeting regarding some personal business. Was supposed to be at Mallik by 11:30 am and do a detailed checkout of the display car, but could only reach there by 1 pm due to delay in the meeting and I'm already running late for my office.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have gone today to check the car.

Color Displayed: Blue XZ+ Diesel, Dual Tone

Although was expecting a bit, the first thing that hit me hard after sitting in the car was the relative lack of airiness. Mind you, I'm coming from a background of driving 1,50,000 kms in two WagonRs. Adding to my woes, is that the car is displayed in the Basement floor (Mallik has two floors of display) with less lightning. When I asked them on why it is not displayed in the main floor, I was told that it'll be done from Sep 21st onwards. I'll wait for test drives now to see if I could overcome this factor. I sat in Bolt immediately and could feel the difference related to the space. Somehow I felt like I sat in a Sedan (while in Nexon) compared to sitting in a crossover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Nexon (1811 mm) is wider than S-Cross (1765 mm). How much of that translates to rear seat width need to be seen.
Quoting my previous post, I guess rear seat should have been better to accommodate three adults with that overall Width of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Done with my booking today morning, yes unofficial.
Years of wait now trickled down into days. Hoping Tata wont delay the launch further than August end as I have planned a two week vacation in September.

Diesel Top End. With the pictures that are now coming out, it'll be XZ+.
Overall first impression that I felt was that I'm not upgrading to a bigger car,
(from WagonR, purely car roominess & space). Again as I said, I'll wait for test drives to post better feedback.

I have nothing to add today on the good points related to interiors, music system and other good stuff. I'll try to do a test drive in the next few days and will post a better update then.

One advice to people visiting Mallik Motors, if you are really keen on purchasing the Nexon, wait till they move the car to the Main Floor for display to avoid disappointment.

I'm not giving up on Nexon yet and will check out the car with open mind again at Concorde Motors, Chandanagar on Wednesday. Got a call from them that a Grey Nexon XZ+ was kept on display today.

Mods, Any update on the official review? When it would be out?

Edit: Disclaimer. As I mentioned, I was not in a pretty good mood today when I went to check the car, so probably that also might have contributed to the factor on how I felt today. I hope Wednesday would be a better experience.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 11th September 2017 at 21:46. Reason: Adding Disclaimer
mrbaddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:55   #2170
BHPian

So I test drove the Diesel XZ+ variant day before yesterday and then yesterday again. Test drives have started at Concorde Malad showroom.

I had a short test drive on Saturday around the mindspace area. Initial impressions were very positive with regards to the gearbox and the engine.

I went with my mom and sister yesterday to have another look with them. They have been following the car too!

Their initially impressions were somewhat anti climatic seeing the car for the first time. It does look smaller from the rear than the Brezza and EcoSport. Which takes away from the Compact 'SUV' feel.

However we saw another customer drive it off for their test drive and the impressions were that it had sufficient ground clearance and did look imposing.

Once our turn came, one look at front fascia and the stance cleared all those doubts they had before.

One step inside and Nexon's interiors betrays it price. Rear is roomy and quite airy if it were not for the dark ambience inside. The headroom, shoulder space and legroom are all Tata. However the contoured rear bench and the hard seat back for the middle passenger make it a 4 seater at best.

This time I got to properly try out all the drive modes overlaid with the cheesy voiceover. The 3 modes are well defined and one can easily make out the urgency in sport mode compared to the city and eco mode. The steerings is effortless and thankfully built up some appreciable bulk when speed was built up.

The ride though did feel a little stiff which I will put down to the over inflated tires on the test drive cars.

The Sales Associate there has promised to give me a call once petrol variant is available and they get more colours. He said each dealership has been shipped 1 car with two more on the way, 1 petrol for test drive in red and one in either fuel type for display.

My SA said that deliveries will start from 21st itself and the manager their informed they have already made 18 bookings.

We ended up booking a grey XZ+ variant in diesel to ensure we get delivery within the next month if we do end up getting the Nexon which seems likely now.
aman9393 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 22:07   #2171
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure if this has been posted before or not, the Nexon website is up -

https://nexon.tatamotors.com/

Got this as a forward from the local Tata Motors dealer. This place is just 5 minutes walk from my place, advantage of staying outside the city

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20170911wa0014.jpg

Will give more updates after the event.
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 22:49   #2172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I am not sure if this has been posted before or not, the Nexon website is up -
Yes, @RavenAvi has posted this on page 143.

But the site only lists Concorde showrooms. though the car is on display with other dealers too. And the Skill arena doesnt linky seem to open
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 23:22   #2173
BHPian

I find everything about the Nexon very positive except maybe for the variantwise feature distribution.
All that has been spoken about and written about the car on the web makes me want one!

I just hope and sincerely at that, that TATA does not mess with the fetaures list for the AMT variant of the car. I would love to all the bells and whistles along with the convenience of AMT. Hope someone from TATA is reading this!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 23:46   #2174
BHPian

Looks like Tata is giving Maruti sleepless nights.

Had a very funny experience today. I asked my friend to check out the Nexon before booking the Vitara BREZZA. He was blown away by Nexon's snazzy looks and fab interiors. Still smitten by the Nexon, the dissapointment splattered on his face while checking out the BREZZA at Maruti showroom was palpable. The surprise came when a fellow prospective customer mentioned the same opinion to the sales guy in direct words (in heavy gurgaon accent). The only thing that watered down sales guy could mumble was gibberish like nexon is a big indica with 15 year old indica engine which is a smaller version of TATA 407 truck engine. When I calmly clarified the facts , the sales guy got annoyed and said Maruti is Japanese and TATA is "desi gaadi" (local car brand) so maruti is better. I can't help but when I recall the look on his face when I mentioned that TATA owns jaguar and Landrover.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 07:29   #2175
BHPian

Full page Advt in today's Times Of India, last page.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170912072705.png
sachinayak is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks