Old 6th May 2017, 21:33   #121
BHPian

re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Some more info -
1. Launch this week
2. Highline is the only version initially available at Launch
3. Competition being targeted are BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Mercedes GLA.
4. Rich set of features including full panoramic sunroof, paddle shifts, full LED headlamps, attention assist, all wheel drive, Navigation, back up camera, leather seating, 6 airbags, terrain modes, drive modes, push button start, cruise control, Android Auto and Apple Car Play etc.
5. Runner up as Global Car if the year, narrowly missed out to Jaguar FPace.
6. India will not get Active Display for the instrument cluster and infotainment system is only 6.5 inches, the diesel engine is in lower state of tune making 143hp - the only three misses in my view. The lower tune is however being considered more responsive by global reviewers.
AID would have been very nice to have, but serious let down is 143hp.
I thought the 190hp is coming based on news earlier.
I wounder how much they save by reducing the size of infotainment system.

Thumbs up to paddle shifts, full LED headlamps and sunroof.
Old 7th May 2017, 06:05   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to one of the local dealers and the information they have is that the launch will be in the second week of May. Two variants - Comfortline and Highline both with AWD. Expected price is 35 lacs on road for highline, this is the only variant available initially.

According to the person, the vehicle will be competing directly with lower variants of BMW X1 (the positioning being that it is one size bigger and with better features such as AWD, for a price similar to the lower 2WD variants of X1). Also expected to be positioned against the Audi Q3 (The positioning being that it is again one size bigger, in the same class as the Q5 with similar fit and finish and features)

This is really unknown territory, a 5 seater SUV that's not so "butch" looking in a segment where the T-Fort and the Ford Endy are customer favourites. Even Hyundai is not able to find volumes of more than 500-700 units per month for the Tucson and that is at slightly a lower price.
not sure what VW hopes to achieve here. And if they price the Tiguan at par with T-fort and Endy, then expect the Kodiaq to be priced way higher and out of reach for many customers in this segment.
Old 8th May 2017, 13:18   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
AID would have been very nice to have, but serious let down is 143hp.
I thought the 190hp is coming based on news earlier.
I wounder how much they save by reducing the size of infotainment system.

Thumbs up to paddle shifts, full LED headlamps and sunroof.
I was under that very same impression. Very disappointed that it's the 143 Bhp motor. As for the AID, my thoughts on that are a bit different. I think that was a must have, along with Area View and here is why.

VW are calling the Tiguan a premium SUV, comparing it with the likes of the GLA, X1 and Q3. So with the Tiguan, VW hopes to offer those who are considering the aforementioned cars, an alternative, that offers similar quality, features, plushness at a more affordable price.

Now, we expect the Tiguan to be priced above the Tucson, and it should be as it offers more features and equipment. So you pay more and you get more but does that make it value for money?

The conundrum buyers will face is at that price point is:
  • Should I pay a few lakhs more and get myself one of the big Germans. They might offer lesser features but it's ze Germans we are talking about.
  • Should I go for one of the big boys (T-Fort, Endy) and get a proper off-roader, with 7 seats, solid reliability and with a good amount of premium features
  • Should I go for a more reliable brand like Hyundai, that offers 80 - 85% of the Tiguan in every sense, at a lesser price, and guarantees a peaceful ownership experience

IMO, what would have tipped the scales in VW's favour was if they were to offer a few segment first features, features that even ze Germans don't offer and am not just talking about things like 3 zone climate control but features that stand out. That's where features like AID, Area View, or the HUD comes in. That would make the whole package a lot more VFM. All VW had to do was offer the CL at a price point just above the Tucson, and offer the Highline with all these toys, at a more premium price. If you go by the feature list I posted earlier, at the moment, there is very little you get in the HL that you don't get in the CL and so most people might settle for the CL, rendering the HL moot.
sunny310c is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 14:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
VW are calling the Tiguan a premium SUV, comparing it with the likes of the GLA, X1 and Q3. So with the Tiguan, VW hopes to offer those who are considering the aforementioned cars, an alternative, that offers similar quality, features, plushness at a more affordable price.
Quote:
Expected price is 35 lacs on road for highline...
The BMW X1 goes at 36+L ex showroom for the mid spec 2WD variant with panoramic roof and 2 zone AC. Leather upholstery, larger 8 inch screen and 4WD makes the top variant pricey at 43+L ex showroom. The Mercedes Benz GLA also goes at 37L to 41L ex-showroom for 2WD(fully loaded) and 4WD variants.

So if VW asks 35L OTR for a car with comparable quality and 4WD along with good set of features, that is fair.

Lower engine output might be disappointing for enthusiasts and knowledgeable buyers, but for most potential buyers, the 143bhp is not that bad. The smaller infotainment screen is a disappointment in the current market and the area view camera would have been very much welcome, but not as sorely missed as the bigger screen.

But the question VW should be asking themselves is that did the Passat succeed by offering almost C Class technology at a lower price?

More importantly, would VW show sustained interest in the Tiguan to match customer expectations, or just give up after some time like they did with the Passat?

The pictures look promising, and the vehicle surely looks good with clean and uncluttered styling unlike the X1 or GLA. Hope VW succeeds with this product as it would be a good alternative for some potential Fortuner buyers also who do not mind the smaller size or the less robust underpinnings, but appreciate a refined Diesel and the premium fit and finish.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 15:32   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Some more info -
6. India will not get Active Display for the instrument cluster and infotainment system is only 6.5 inches, the diesel engine is in lower state of tune making 143hp - the only three misses in my view. The lower tune is however being considered more responsive by global reviewers.
Looking at the picture of the interior posted earlier in the thread, looks like we will be getting the 8" screen and not the 6.5" screen.
Old 9th May 2017, 13:15   #126
Senior - BHPian

Production-spec Volkswagen Tiguan spotted, interiors revealed

Thank you to BHPian RavenAvi and his birdie for sharing these images with other enthusiasts!

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-1.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-2.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-3.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-4.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-5.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th May 2017 at 10:44. Reason: removed name
dZired is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 13:47   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the picture of the interior posted earlier in the thread, looks like we will be getting the 8" screen and not the 6.5" screen.
I placed the picture from the global model side by side with the leaked images above of the Indian model and it does seem that the Indian model's HU looks to be exactly the same as the one abroad which is 8 inches for sure.

However, the sales rep who attended launch training insists that it is a 6.5 inch unit and showed me the training manual which clearly says 16.5 cm Head Unit, which is 6.5 inches. I hope we are indeed getting the 8 inch unit with navigation.

Having booked the car, all one can do now is wait and watch for pricing and the final spec sheet. I am being assured allotment in the first lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-capture.jpg  

Old 9th May 2017, 14:57   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Production-spec Volkswagen Tiguan spotted, interiors revealed

Attachment 1637288
Wasn't the Highline supposed to have a sunroof?

I suppose the white car in the 1st pic is the Highline going by the Chrome lip.

Or is it the Angle of the picture?

If the Highline misses out on the Sunroof, it would lose a bit of the VFM tag compared to the Big Germans.
Old 9th May 2017, 16:02   #129
BHPian

Quote:
I placed the picture from the global model side by side with the leaked images above of the Indian model and it does seem that the Indian model's HU looks to be exactly the same as the one abroad which is 8 inches for sure.

However, the sales rep who attended launch training insists that it is a 6.5 inch unit and showed me the training manual which clearly says 16.5 cm Head Unit, which is 6.5 inches. I hope we are indeed getting the 8 inch unit with navigation.

Having booked the car, all one can do now is wait and watch for pricing and the final spec sheet. I am being assured allotment in the first lot.
I still have my doubts about the specs mentioned on the training manual because of the "heated front seats" feature in the features spec I shared earlier. Unless that is VW's way of saying ventilated seats, I don't see how that can be true for India. So, there is every chance some of the specs aren't accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Wasn't the Highline supposed to have a sunroof?

I suppose the white car in the 1st pic is the Highline going by the Chrome lip.

Or is it the Angle of the picture?

If the Highline misses out on the Sunroof, it would lose a bit of the VFM tag compared to the Big Germans.
I can understand your confusion. Not just the chrome lip, the 10 spoke alloy that it sports is also a give away that this is the Highline. The CL is suppose to have a 5 spoke alloy or at least that is what the sales guy told me. As for the sunroof, the HL definitely has it as the sales guy confirmed that but I can do you one better. Here is pic that he shared with me from his training.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20170426-6.27.35-pm.jpeg  

sunny310c is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 21:23   #130
BHPian

Heard from a dealer that the launch event is likely the 20th, with cars coming to showrooms on 23rd. Please take with a pinch of salt. He confirmed 8 inch screen with a panoramic sunroof on highline.
Old 14th May 2017, 21:50   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Heard from a dealer that the launch event is likely the 20th, with cars coming to showrooms on 23rd. Please take with a pinch of salt. He confirmed 8 inch screen with a panoramic sunroof on highline.
Any hint on the price? So far Tiguan seems to be ticking everything I was looking for!
More than affordability, I was thinking of VFM (I don't mean cheap). I am hoping this one German would keep up to my expectation in all means.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:47   #132
BHPian

He indicated that the top end could be on-road for around 40l, emphasizing that competition was with X1, GLA, Q3 and the likes, but this would be larger and better equipped.
Old 15th May 2017, 09:47   #133
BHPian

Quote:
He indicated that the top end could be on-road for around 40l, emphasizing that competition was with X1, GLA, Q3 and the likes, but this would be larger and better equipped.
40L??

At that price, they should be offering the R-Line variant with all the bells and whistles and even then it might be over priced. And since we know for a fact that that isn't the case, I highly doubt that figure.

As for competition with X1, GLA, Q3, that's exactly what the showroom guy told me as well and if specs are what we believe them to be, I think the Tiguan is better spec'ed than those Germans, except maybe for the engine output, but at 40 L on road, it loses it's VFM factor. The only way VW can compete with those Germans is by offering more for a lesser price.

Last edited by sunny310c : 15th May 2017 at 09:48.
Old 15th May 2017, 11:34   #134
BHPian

Quote:
40L??

At that price, they should be offering the R-Line variant with all the bells and whistles and even then it might be over priced. And since we know for a fact that that isn't the case, I highly doubt that figure.

As for competition with X1, GLA, Q3, that's exactly what the showroom guy told me as well and if specs are what we believe them to be, I think the Tiguan is better spec'ed than those Germans, except maybe for the engine output, but at 40 L on road, it loses it's VFM factor. The only way VW can compete with those Germans is by offering more for a lesser price.
Don't be shocked. I was out window shopping and walked into the VW dealership in the mall. The sales person firstly said there was only one person who was "trained" on the Tiguan since they don't expect it to move in large numbers. The trained person said that the pricing for the Tiguan is expected to be in line with X1, Q3 and the likes and positioned as more bang for the buck. He said during the training they were told that the Tiguan will not be sold as a price mover but more of a discerning buyer scenario. He said one VW official had said this would be an upsell from a Passat (????).

Again, all of this is pure speculation and there is no degree of accuracy one can accord to this. I would say the proof of the pudding is to wait for the launch (which I'm guessing is not too far away) to see if VW takes perfect aim and lands it right on the centerline or not.

Last edited by duke : 15th May 2017 at 11:37. Reason: added the last bit
Old 15th May 2017, 11:44   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
40 lacs on road would be way overpriced. Tiguan has a few fatal flaws:

• Significantly lower powered engine than competition (143 HP/340 NM versus 190hp/400NM on the X1 and 180 hp/380NM on the Q3)
  • Misses hand-operated controller such as iDrive. This is traditionally easier and safer to use than directly operating the touchscreen.
  • No differentiating features such as Active Info Display
  • Most importantly, VW is not seen as a premium brand in India, it is seen as a key player in compact hatches and sub-4m sedans with an average cost of 6-7 Lacs. Absolutely zero snob value. My hair stylist drives a VW a well (polo). In contrast, the lowest priced product offered by BMW or Audi or Benz is upwards of Rs. 30 lacs

This means the Tiguan would be dead on arrival at a Rs. 40 lac price tag. I am hoping for an introductory price around 26-27 lacs ex-showroom (32/33 lacs on road) for the highline - at this price, it makes sense.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks