Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 09:59   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

I second that. I have been owning Euro brands for close to 7 years now. My yearly expenses on maintenance has been below 20K per year..

Jetta has been easier on the pocket compared to Polo! 😊

Added to this is the flexibility one gets to mod / remap these cars.. 👍
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 10:55   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I second that. I have been owning Euro brands for close to 7 years now. My yearly expenses on maintenance has been below 20K per year..

Finally something positive to read. I would never compare this to a tucson simply on a difference of solid build quality and ride experience. Yes, it is launched at a premium and goes into territory of X1 and GLA, but do consider the maintenance cost of all, thats what makes Tiguan a winner. The labour costs are always going to be cheaper at VW than a BMW. Adding to that, you get a proven engine with much more reliability and flexibility to play with. I just wish they launch a higher tuned version of this for highline, but then it competes Q3. Lots of equations to play with.

I loved it from every angle and highline satisfy almost all requirements, however would not pay 40 big ones for sure. But there is always a bargain. Wait till year end or look for a used one, get the engine remapped and enjoy the best of both worlds.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:41   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Yes, I too agree. My Octavia petrol (rocket) has been trouble free and maintenance free and has served me faithfully without a single issue. But I want to sell it now and then there is a problem.....NO buyers.
rxpaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:53   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It typically costs around 20K for the annual Yeti service.
Thats comparable with most other vehicles of its type - especially if you maintain your vehicles properly and go only to Authorised Service Centres.
You say 'poor maintenance'. I disagree. From personal experience.
Basically on this Forum, it has become fashionable for lots of people, mostly non owners, to bash the Euro manufacturers without proper justification. I am merely counter balancing this with my experience.
Completely agree. I own 2012 Vento HL TDI and I am happy with ASC and maintenance costs - about Rs. 12K per year so far. The car has run about 65K Kms and I have done 4 services so far with absolutely no reason to complain (emission scandal not withstanding). I wonder why this FUD exists about European cars.

On the main topic, yes Tiguan seems a bit pricey for what you get. It would have been a good upgrade for me if it was a bit more VFM.
pc73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 12:25   #230
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there are enough people who want to spend 40 lakhs and not have a prestige brand. A typical scenario for someone shopping in this price range would be to look at used premium or stretch the EMI term and go for a new premium car.

I know someone who was looking at used Q3s, then settled for an automatic Fortuner, requirement was for an automatic SUV. Pretty sure those who were sitting on the fence in this one will decide to get an X1. VW isn't premium here, in-house brand Skoda tops them in the perception stakes.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 12:35   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
I wonder why this FUD exists about European cars.
It's not wholly unfounded. Though I have had a similar experience with my 6.5 year/96,000 km ownership experience of the Vento AT (petrol), there have been some close shaves, such as when my entire HVAC unit had to be changed (cost approx 70K, thankfully it was *just* inside warranty period). Early year Vento TDIs have been known to suffer from reliability issues as borne out by a lot of our members. And the horror stories associated with cousin Skoda are still fresh in the mind!
We are veering but let me just say that paying 40 big ones for a 5-seater VW seems really ridiculous, especially when you factor in potential maintenance bombshells as well. The luxury Germans, whom VW seems determined to pit the Tiguan against, are not exactly the best in this respect as well but surely Toyota, Ford and Hyundai- which I believe are the TRUE competitors here- are? So it's a fair point to bring up in the context of this thread.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:04   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just like there are some people who don't want the maximum size for their buck, there are also many folk who don't want the flashy badge of a Mercedes or BMW.

Businessmen, you bet. Many deal makers don't want to roam around in an expensive car that shouts out their wealth. Even my best buddy from the corporate world is holding onto his Jetta - despite loving the C-Class. Simply because his boss drives a VW / Skoda!

Well said. But also keep in mind that the higher the budget, the less price sensitive the customer. A 30 lakh customer isn't going to care about 3 - 4 lakhs the way that a 10 lakh customer will.
The logic is spot on. I would not disagree. But would such buyers give VW the volumes it wants? A question is do they really want those volumes. If the export of Tiguans is more profitable chances are that the local price is a mechanism to ensure that exports are prioritised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Well, I was tempted to get a Creta couple of years back, TD-ed it & a few other cars, ended up buying the Jetta
Sure. I would have done the same seeing that I chose the Polo GT over the i20. But you and me are not the kind of buyers who drive volumes.

Quote:
Do you own an Euro brand?
I do.
And I have owned it for 6 years now almost.
I completely disagree with what you say except for depreciation.
High price is an individual and subjective perception. You buy what you can afford. Thats flat.
Yes I paid 19.5 lac for the vehicle in 2011.
You should see how the vehicle has held up in 6 years, both inside and outside.
I dont think a Creta, for example, which costs about as much now, would hold up as well. And a Creta is nowhere close to a Yeti. Sorry.
It typically costs around 20K for the annual Yeti service.
Thats comparable with most other vehicles of its type - especially if you maintain your vehicles properly and go only to Authorised Service Centres.
You say 'poor maintenance'. I disagree. From personal experience.
Basically on this Forum, it has become fashionable for lots of people, mostly non owners, to bash the Euro manufacturers without proper justification. I am merely counter balancing this with my experience.

I beg to disagree both on cost of ownership and the car holding up. I have used a Polo for 80k kms now and it's cost of ownership is much more than a Swift Diesel that I owned for 1.63L kms. I drive both the same way. My Polo creaks which is normal behavior it seems. The Swift never did and neither did I suffer from rattles that the Swift is famous for. however just because I did not suffer from rattles does not mean it was not a problem with the Swift. Most owners did have a problem. One issue is that I am perennially afraid of approaching the dealership with simple complaints for fear of what bomb they might suggest. That said I am happy with my GT for the simple reason that I bought it never assuming any initiative from the service side to keep me happy.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:08   #233
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Tiguan at 38 Lacs doesn't cut it for me.
My Yeti gives me all that the Tiguan can.

Im seriously wondering about the Compass pricing. Really would be great to know how much they plan to price it at, other than all these rumours.
Old 25th May 2017, 13:24   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The pricing is similar to what I had thought it would be launched at. They are competing with the X1 and the Q3. I think they want to position it as a VFM alternative to the two, and I think they have succeeded. The base models of the X1 and Q3 are available at similar prices, and those are pretty stripped off, of feel good features. While the Tiguan is well pretty well loaded at the same price, and offering the 4 wheel drive system. It will definitely be more spacious inside than the Q3, and probably similar to the X1.

A person looking at a compact SUV like this will not consider the Endeavour or Fortuner, and the Tucson will feel a whole segment down in terms of quality and driving experience.
Hi Akshay, I disagree.

Whatever it tries, VW will always stay in Toyota/Honda segment. The Tiguan can never have the brand image of X1/Q3. Even the missing features on base variants of these BMW/Audi cars won't take the buyers to VW. The Tiguan actually feels pricier to me with what's on offer. I'll run to BMW if I were to buy one.

In person, it is the Tucson which looks bigger and better and I feel, it is also a better product. Although the Tucson drives great but isn't the Tucson also always considered a driver's car?
Old 25th May 2017, 13:43   #235
BHPian

Globally the competitors to Tiguan include Toyota Rav4, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX5, Kia Sportage etc. BMW, Audi, Mercedes are no where in the picture. In India however it wants to compete with the big Germans, I wonder why. They could have been the best in the 22-28L segment but they chose to take the competition to the higher segment. Perhaps their pricing strategy forced them to compete in the higher segment. VW just doesn't have the brand pull to pull this off in India at least. This niche segment may well be for the VW fans.
Old 25th May 2017, 13:44   #236
BHPian

Quote:
The Tiguan at 38 Lacs doesn't cut it for me.
My Yeti gives me all that the Tiguan can.

Im seriously wondering about the Compass pricing. Really would be great to know how much they plan to price it at, other than all these rumours.
I assume this kind of pricing would be norm for all Skoda/VW future SUVs. I am sure "Karoq"(Yeti replacement) would cost close to Tiguan pricing.
I would not be surprised if the "kodiaq" is 45+ lakhs.

Very crazy pricing.

Now we need to wait and watch how Tiguan prices impact Audi/BMW/Merc prices. I hope they do not increase X1/Q3 prices.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:54   #237
BANNED

It is Expensive ,Over rated and VW -No value for money
May be at a price point of 20 to 24 lakhs would have been perfect.From history Indian customer has always Given a proper treatment to the overpriced auto industry.Let us wait . Things would be clear in another 6 months
Old 25th May 2017, 14:01   #238
Senior - BHPian

slightly OT but IMHO relevant nonetheless.

The Indian car industry is fast pricing itself out of the game. Every new launch by a non Indian OEM is greeted by howls of overpricing. Case in point- Tiguan, Tucson, Mux, new A3, A4, Merc CLA, GLA, Fortuner, Crysta, Accord etc. The only launch in recent times that was perceived to be spot on in terms of pricing (give or take 5%) is the Hexa.

Heck even the tiny Ignis is ludicrously priced.

Something has to give. Car makers will soon reach an inflection point whereby this pricing strategy will give diminishing returns. After all not every car is a fortuner or Innova Crysta that commands such blind following even though it is clearly overpriced by at least 20-25%.

Lets hope we see a price correction across the board else we will see a repeat of Chevrolet across the industry.
himanshugoswami is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:29   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Here's the difference between CL and HL of the Tiguan.

On road price in Kerala for CL is 36.5L and HL is 41L.
no reverse parking camera in CL,costing over 30L!!! just for that you want to add more features for higher version,its insane.
Old 25th May 2017, 14:30   #240
BHPian

A great car overall, however the interiors could do with some more flair. VW should have offered a black and beige combo at least as an option.

The Skoda Kodiaq will be far more compelling, even though they arent direct rivals. It might just be an ideal replacement for our beloved Superb.

Fingers crossed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks