Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 21:41   #1066
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdRider View Post
Some more spy shots of the upcoming Thar has been published on a Rushlane article.
Link to article:
https://www.rushlane.com/2020-mahind...-12371176.html
The second pic shows the door hinges and from the looks of it, it looks like removable doors. I hope they have a nifty design of storing it at the back, rather than leaving it behind.
Old 12th August 2020, 21:49   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdRider View Post
Some more spy shots of the upcoming Thar has been published on a Rushlane article.
Some more speculation from these pics.

Hardtop and front facing seats available only on the top end. No rear footrest seen on this, may indicate front facing rear seats and access from driver/passenger front doors.

The rear footrest is seen only on the softtops with steel wheels (which are obviously lower trims). May indicate the earlier bench arrangement continues on these and access is from the rear hatch.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200812_171602.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 22:06   #1068
BHPian

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartractioncontrolfeatures41068x801.jpg

Is this a dislodged fender?
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 22:08   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
2.2 Mhawk does duty in Scorpio/XUV which are bigger and are 7-seaters. Won't that be an overkill on compact Thar which will mostly be 2-up with an occasional 4 pax? They do have a 1.9 Mhawk which was for Delhi market. That would do, IMO. Similarly, a 2.0 L petrol for 4WD and a 1.5 L for 2WD would be fine, too, I guess. Torque for 1.5 can be generated by high gear ratios.
The old gen Thar with soft top and 2.5L CRDe motor weighed at 1.75 Ton whereas the Scorpio weighs at 1.82 Ton so is the case with XUV500 which weighs around 1.85 Ton (don’t know the exact figure). Thar is a strongly built vehicle with Thick metal used all over hence even though it has a smaller dimension than a full grown SUV it weighs close to them. The new Thar is also getting a FRP hardtop which itself weighs close to 100 Kgs and needless to say has a bigger body than the outgoing model. Hence, the engine selection should be ideal in this case.
Old 13th August 2020, 01:32   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Attachment 2042025

Is this a dislodged fender?
I don't think so. Seems like the driver got too adventurous during the trail and ended up with a broken bumper. You can see that even the fog lamp is missing which also indicates a bumper hit.
The fender seems completely intact.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:33   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
2.2 Mhawk does duty in Scorpio/XUV which are bigger and are 7-seaters. Won't that be an overkill on compact Thar
Why would you want to second guess on something that has already been confirmed by the company? It will be the 2.2 mhawk.

It is not about size/weight of the vehicle, but also. The 2020 Thar and the 2021 Scorpio share the same platform, so it makes sense for Mahindra to keep engine/gearbox configurations the same.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:10   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sorry guys! My bad. As pointed out, its indeed a typo. 2.2L MHawk its is

Best Regards & Drive safe
Thanks for this. I guess all variants get 4WD? Or are there RWD variants too? This could end up with a mind boggling number of variant combinations:
  • HT/ST
  • Petrol/Diesel
  • Manual/Auto
  • RWD/AWD

That is 16 possible combinations!
Old 13th August 2020, 10:18   #1073
BHPian

I cannot fathom why people are so excited about a petrol automatic. I think it will sell mostly in diesel form
My concerns:
1. FE in light gypsy with efficient japanese is bad. How low will it sink here with 2.0 n so many tonnes? FE matters in India irrespective of segment.
2. M&M has no track record of good/ successful petrol engines.
3. Its heavy vehicle, wont torque (diesel) be very important in off road situations?
4. Even Psuedo/ luxury SUVs have low petrol sales. Thar customers would be more sensitive than GL/Q7 buyers.
5. Resale value matters

With all the upgrades, I feel customers will expect an all rounder vehicle (with an adventure bias), which will require reasonable FE & reliability.

One would like to take the Thar to office too and not just weekend fun.
Around 15 lakhs, customers are bound to compare with likes of jeep compass/ v-cross. one compass/v-cross versus thar+ hatchback garage.

For weekends only, used thar or gypsy is much more apt.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 13th August 2020 at 10:24.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:25   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I cannot fathom why people are so excited about a petrol automatic. I think it will sell mostly in diesel form
My concerns:
I do agree with you that diesel will sell more, but given the current diesel vs petrol prices, petrol is beginning to make sense.
If you are comparing the 2.0 Mstallion engine with the run of the mill dohc mpfi in the gypsy, you haven't really read up about the mstallion engine. It was designed with help from AVL Austria which developed the mhawk and the Safari DICOR engine.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:43   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Petrols have a usable life of 15 years, while diesels have a life of 10 years because of the NGT rule. That in itself is reason enough to prefer petrols over diesel.

If I am in the market for Thar, I will only consider the petrol automatic. A well tuned torque converter will mask the petrol's lack of grunt in lower rpms.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 13th August 2020 at 12:45.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 13:11   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Dealer just last week told me the new Thar should hit the showrooms around year end, meaning Dec 2020 or Jan 2021. The virus willing.

I want to warn some of you fellows who think auto transmission is a juicy novelty. You will get freakin bored with it in about a week. You will long for the days when you could control the vehicle's clutch and gears in difficult situations. An AT is very likely to be a maintenance headache in India for some years to come.
Don't know about you, but I'll be reaching my half century soon. Having driven Indian SUVs with MT for 11 years of my 28 year driving experience in Mumbai traffic, my left knee is almost due for a replacement.My 84 year old Dad (who has never driven a 4 wheeler) was faster to the top of the Srinagar Shankaracharya Hill thanks to my left knee.

I have owned 5 VW DSG cars in succession, own a Nano AMT and currently a Hexa AT with no complaints whatsoever. . . never a problem. India had no cell-phone mechanics 15 years ago. Now it is easier to get cell phones repaired than an Umbrella. With 35% Plus adoption of 'clutchless technologies' in India (i.e. the entire alphabet soup of automatic tranny types) there will be soon more AT technicians than MT before you can correctly spell Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe!

My suggestion is that if you love driving, do a lot of stop-go traffic and intend to keep driving till your last day - go for an Automatic TODAY.

My grandparents went to their 90s and my parents are still going strong . . . so I intend to be driving past the Century mark, god-willing. And I'll do that cursing the MT Clutch designers as I hobble with my left foot!
Ferruccio is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 13:32   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Reliably learnt the following;
  • Diesel - 2.2 L Mhawk (EDIT: this incorrectly said 2.5L earlier)
  • Petrol - 2.0 L MStallion
  • Both will have Aisin Gear Box
  • Both will have HT & ST Options
  • Both will be having AT (Torque converter) options - AT Box by Aisin
Dear r_nairtvm, thanks for the scoop. Just a question, will the 4X4 / 4X4 AT come in the petrol engine combination as well ?

Another Noob question (Sorry for this already) as this has only 2 Doors and rear front facing seats, so the rear passengers are expected to fold the front seats, move / slide forward and then climb into the rear seats ?

If someone can clarify on the above two questions would be great.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 13th August 2020 at 13:58. Reason: adding options for 4x4 and AT
Old 13th August 2020, 13:40   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Dear r_nairtvm, thanks for the scoop. Just a question, will the 4X4 come in the petrol engine combination as well ?
Petrol will sell more in Export markets. If I were planning the line-up, I'd do Petrol with 4x4 ONLY (no 2WD) with both MT and AT.
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 14:10   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
so the rear passengers are expected to fold the front seats, move / slide forward and then climb into the rear seats ?.
I don't think there is any other option.

Follow up question is whether rear seats can be accessed via both driver side as well as passenger side front seats.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 20:47   #1080
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The live webcast is on Independence Day @ 11 a.m.

Quote:
You can join the live webcast by clicking on any of the below mentioned links:

Website: auto.mahindra.com/suv/thar YouTube: https://www.Youtube.com/TharMahindra

Instagram: Instagram.com/mahindrathar Facebook: Facebook.com/mahindrathar Twitter: Twitter.com/mahindrathar
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks