Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2017, 22:10   #1696
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

A quick question

A, In the Sport version the Compass - comes with - Quad Halogen Lamps
My interpretation of the above is that - there is a separate bulb for Low & High Beam - which translates to that I can have both Low and High beams on simultaneously - like the old Palio or the current Linea

B, The Longitude Option & Limited - default come with - Bi Function Projector Halogen. Does this mean that

1. There is only one bulb instead of two
2. In which event - At any given point only the Low or High Beam is on !

C, The Limited Option comes only in Bi Xenon HID
Does this imply that the head lamps can be only in either Low or High beam at any point?

In the image below - what is the hatched / grilled surface next to the projector?
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 12865
Size:  89.9 KB
Old 5th August 2017, 23:37   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post

In the image below - what is the hatched / grilled surface next to the projector?
Those are the 'Signature LED position lamps' in Jeep speak and do look cool when lit up.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170805_233327.png  

uday.ere is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 23:54   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Does this imply that the head lamps can be only in either Low or High beam at any point?
A bi-xenon/'bi-function halogen' projector has a beam that covers both high and low beam patterns. The only thing that happens for low beam, is that a movable shutter in front of the bulb cuts off the top half of the beam effectively making it a low beam, and then moves out of the way when you need the full/high beam.

Quote:
Attachment 1664020
Those are LED DRLs, but can't see any pic showing them active on the Indian variant.

P.s.: Are you doing a Ph.D thesis on the Compass?
Crazy_Eddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 00:05   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Those are the 'Signature LED position lamps' in Jeep speak and do look cool when lit up.
Thank you @uday.ere
So what function do they serve and when do they come on? Are these equivalent to parking / corner lamps?

Also on the Bi Function Halongen/HID - At any given time - is it right to say that only Low Or High beam will be on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
A bi-xenon/'bi-function halogen' projector has a beam that covers both high and low beam patterns. --------- and then moves out of the way when you need the full/high beam.
@Crazy_Eddy - thank you for the above - Does that mean - there is an option./switch - where in from the single nacelle/bulb/projector shown in the image - gives out both Low & High beam simultaneously - equivalent to the dual bulb halogen setup in the Sport Variant?

Quote:
Those are LED DRLs, but can't see any pic showing them active on the Indian variant.
I was under the impression that the reverse L was the LED DRL! As shown in the pic above your post
Incidentally that image is from the an indian compass - pic taken by @uday.ere earlier in the day today while he was visiting a showroom.
And the spec sheet does have a feature called - Signature LED Position Lamp.
Quote:
P.s.: Are you doing a Ph.D thesis on the Compass?
Just trying to get to know the Compass better and curious !!

Last edited by PM - B : 6th August 2017 at 00:07.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 00:39   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

935 cars shipped to Dealerships last month
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170806_003642.jpg

http://www.autopunditz.com/news/cars...res-july-2017/
Dr.Naren is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 08:51   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The lack of 6 airbags in all but the diesel 4x4 version is my biggest gripe with the Compass. Even the 21+ lakhs petrol DCT is not having 6 airbags.

If at all I feel like upgrading from the Ecosport to the Compass which is a perfect upgrade imo albeit automatic, I will lose out on safety vs my Ecosport which is half the price!

This is one serious blunder from the product team.
Here presents the Ecosporter's dilemma.

The Ecopsort's natural upgrade should have been the Renegade. After spending 11L on the Ecosport 4 years ago, spending 15L on the upgarde seems logical but not 20+L. Especially since salaries have not moved much in the last few years.

But now that Jeep is tempting us with the Compass I am looking for ways to upgrade. As a Ecosport AT owner, I should be reaching for the Compass 1.4 AT, but (1) it is priced too far(22.5L) from the logical upgrade price of 15L and (2) without 6 airbags, it feels like a downgrade.

From 15L the most reachable for me is the 1.4 Sport manual, and it is available at a mouthwatering 17.2L on road in Kerala (which should be one of the lowest in country. The Sport diesel is 1.5L higher even though the ex-showroom price is just 50K higher, thanks to the higher road tax beyond 15L ex.

Waiting for reviews of the 1.4 Petrol.
Old 6th August 2017, 09:14   #1702
BHPian

A friend of mine booked an Automatic Petrol Limited(O) over a Creta Petrol AT. It is expected mid October. No petrol test drives available as yet. At 22L on road Gurgaon it is quite pricey? I assumed it would be a few lakhs more than a Creta AT petrol. But 7L is quite a difference, about 50% more. He is going to evaluate the Innova Crysta, Tucson, Octavia in the meantime as they are all now within striking distance.
Old 6th August 2017, 10:24   #1703
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
OT but a little related since many EcoSport owners are commenting similarly on this thread.

Anyone who bought an EcoSport has no business upgrading. Your car is at the max 4 years old. Salary levels don't even come into the picture. You're just taking a massive hit on depreciation & buying another car that's going to depreciate like crazy (all 20+ lakh cars do). Depreciation will substantially slow down now, and the car ages well. All the more reason to hold onto your EcoSports.

Civic-sense, it doesn't make financial-sense .

Let's continue the discussion here.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2017 at 11:15.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 11:01   #1704
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

The itch to upgrade happens but always better to hold on. Thinking of upcoming vehicles always helps

I am guilty of planning to add a Compass to existing Ecosport for my joint family. Can someone here please help me on the superiority of bi xenon over halogen projectors in Limited. Trying to choose between Limited and Limited O. Looking at petrol AT in black (not sure if dual tone is available in black). Lights seems the only difference that counts.

About to book, but of course final decision after petrol ARAI figures, test drive and Team BHP review only.

Last edited by CoolFire : 6th August 2017 at 11:05.
Old 6th August 2017, 11:13   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
OT but a little related since many EcoSport owners are commenting similarly on this thread.

Anyone who bought an EcoSport has no business upgrading. Your car is at the max 4 years old. Salary levels don't even come into the picture. You're just taking a massive hit on depreciation & buying another car that's going to depreciate like crazy (all 20+ lakh cars do). Depreciation will substantially slow down now, and the car ages well. All the more reason to hold onto your EcoSports.
True for those whose buying decisions come straight from their head, but then there are some whose heart wins over their head especially when its automobiles.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 11:13   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for reviews of the 1.4 Petrol.
IMHO the 1.4 Petrol might not be as punchy & driveable as the diesel.
Checking reviews of the Renegade which uses FCAs 1.4L Multiair engine (which by the way won new engine of the year in 2009) the reviews are quiet positive when it comes to driveablity after hitting the sweet spot. Having said that, the kerb/laden weight of the renegade is lesser than that of the Compass, which will make an impact on driveablity. My bigger concern would be torque delivery at lower RPMs given the traffic situation in our country. Most turbo petrols do have some form of lag and even this engine + transmission combination seems to suffer from the same below 2000 RPM, which means a lot of revving to move from standstill for a few meters and just when the turbo spools, you hit the brakes and wait for that cab in front of you to finish cutting into the opposite lane. That also implies lower FE. Do check this owner review of the Renegade 4WD. Watch from 5:55 onwards and he does mention a mileage of 20 mpg, which translates to ~8.5 kmpl.

All said the owner does end the review saying that its not a boring car and its fun to drive when the Turbo kicks in At 18.5L OTR Bangalore, The 1.4L Compass doesnt even whisper VFM.

Edit: As mentioned by GTO, unless you are upgrading for the "luxury" component, your Ecosport should still be able to serve you for a few more years.

Last edited by procrj : 6th August 2017 at 11:15.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 11:38   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
To deter me from buying the Compass, you may have to shut down this thread. Anyway, I guess a reality check is in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
The itch to upgrade happens but always better to hold on. Thinking of upcoming vehicles always helps
There is nothing to look forward to. Kuga maybe, but the Compass is more desirable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
True for those whose buying decisions come straight from their head, but then there are some whose heart wins over their head especially when its automobiles.
Who wouldn't want to have this beauty parked in front of his house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
At 18.5L OTR Bangalore, The 1.4L Compass doesnt even whisper VFM.
17.2 OTR in Kerala.
Quote:
Edit: As mentioned by GTO, unless you are upgrading for the "luxury" component, your Ecosport should still be able to serve you for a few more years.
The Ecosport's warranty expires next month. Am a bit scared to keep a car beyond warranty.

Last edited by civic-sense : 6th August 2017 at 11:56.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:00   #1708
BHPian

Quote:

The Ecopsort's natural upgrade should have been the Renegade. After spending 11L on the Ecosport 4 years ago, spending 15L on the upgarde seems logical but not 20+L.
Wait for the Jeep Renegade. If overseas pricing is anything to go buy, Renegade will be 15-20% cheaper than Compass. So prices could start 12 L OTR. That would be a more logical upgrade for an Ecosporter......Also wait for reviews on the 1.5 L 3 cylinder Dragon that churns out 125 bhp in the new ecosport. Ford might have a winner on their hands

Quote:
Anyone who bought an EcoSport has no business upgrading. Your car is at the max 4 years old.
Let's continue the discussion here.
Well said. Makes more sense to get the new Dragon based Ecosport or wait for the Jeep Renegade in 2018. A 2018 car will have a higher resale value as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Agree. This discussion will be based on rationalist view of the world. There could be someone who is willing to pay a million dollars on a century old vehicle just for heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Checking reviews of the Renegade which uses FCAs 1.4L Multiair engine (which by the way won new engine of the year in 2009) the reviews are quiet positive when it comes to driveablity after hitting the sweet spot. Do check this owner review of the Renegade 4WD. Watch from 5:55 onwards and he does mention a mileage of 20 mpg, which translates to ~8.5 kmpl.
https://Youtu.be/aJwLoV-tJVU
Would be curious to see the low speed city driveability of the 2.0 Multijet II engine. The 1.6 Multijet I engine in the S-cross has had owners complaining about city driveability being a problem. Wonder if that will be a bigger problem in a bigger Multijet

Quote:
To deter me from buying the Compass, you may have to shut down this thread. Anyway, I guess a reality check is in order.

There is nothing to look forward to. Kuga maybe, but the Compass is more desirable.
Or maybe the Renegade? Or a Compass that is pre-owned after a year or so of buying so that somebody else takes the hit on depreciation
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:01   #1709
BHPian

Been to the Jeep showroom (KVR) here in Calicut and came back mighty impressed .Had made up my mind that my next car will be an Suv and was checking out used Fortuner's and Xuv's when i heard about the killer pricings for the Jeep.Went to check out the base models but came back with the decision to book the Limited variant (4*2). Now my only dilemma is whether to go for the Limited optional or the normal Limited.Two extra features on the optional pack is blackened roof and HID headlamps.Blackened roof i thought we will be able do it outside but the salesman discouraged me telling that repainting outside wont be having the same finishing (which i dont agree) but agree with him that stickering wont last long as there are so many cuttings on the roof (though dont have hands on experience about good quality stickers like 3M). People who have please comment. The second feature which is that of the HID lights intead of Halogen is the feature which is making me stretch to the optional pack.But then if it is worth the extra 84k, I am not sure.Also will retrofitting have the same effect and save me quite a big amount?

PS-Planning to book next week.The waiting period is 2 months.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 6th August 2017 at 12:05.
lancer_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:01   #1710
BHPian

Drove the compass yesterday and these are my observations:

- Cabin was narrower than I expected.
- The cabin is well insulated engine and outside noise.
- Butter smooth 6 speed gearbox, slots to reverse also smoothly. Clutch is softer than my abarth 😱
- Engine pulls well, but very linear. It's got some amount of lag till 1,800 rpm but starts pulling well after that. The diesel 'punch' that you get in the VW 1.6 is missing and it doesn't feel like 170 bhp. Maybe it is tuned to be linear on purpose but I'd prefer a little more shove in the midrange.
- Ride quality is beautiful, took the bumpy roads very well.
- Interiors built well, but touchscreen system sensitivity is not up to the mark. Speakers are pretty good.
- Steering wheel is beautiful to hold. Nice and chunky, felt lovely while using it. Steering response is also very good for an EPS.
- Brakes are strong and more than adequate, but no initial bite like the abarth. It's progressive.
- Didn't take it on the highway, so can't comment on highway manners.
- Overall, I think it's perfect for someone who wants a small SUV that will be self driven. Jeep got the mechanicals perfect on this car 👌
- Most vfm option according to me is longitude(o) as it comes with all the necessary features.
Suraj25 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks